Archive for Sunday, May 17, 2009

Two men sought in armed robbery near 10th and Mississippi

May 17, 2009, 2:46 a.m. Updated May 17, 2009, 4:37 a.m.

Police looking for suspects in two armed robberies

Lawrence police are looking for suspects in two armed robberies that happened in central Lawrence early Sunday morning. Enlarge video

Lawrence police officers are looking for two suspects in an armed robbery that occurred in the 1000 block of Mississippi Street early Sunday morning.

Sgt. Michael McLaren said two suspects approached three men, two 23-year-olds and one 22-year-old, in the alley behind Stadium View Apartments, 1040 Miss. One of the suspects presented a semi-automatic handgun, which he waved around and shot in the air, striking the side of the apartment complex.

The two men stole an undetermined amount of money from the victims before running toward Ninth and Indiana streets around 2:35 a.m.

The suspect with the handgun was described as a 6 foot, 180 pound black man wearing a beige shirt. The other man was described as a 6 foot, 150 pound man whose hair was in cornrows. He was wearing a dark shirt with a white design and blue jeans. McLaren said the men were thought to be in their 20s or 30s.

Officers recovered a bullet casing and a live round from the scene. A fire ladder was dispatched to get the bullet that hit the building.

Two of the robbery victims were Kansas University students. The third was visiting from Leavenworth. No one was injured.

Anybody with information can call the police at 841-7210. Callers who wish to remain anonymous are asked to call Crime Stoppers at 843-TIPS. KU Public Safety officers are also helping search for the suspects. They can be contacted at (785) 864-5900.

Comments

Steve Jacob 5 years, 11 months ago

In a robbery, why leave a trace like that (a semi automatic bullet casing) if you don't have too? If they ever catch you with that weapon, even on unrelated charges, you will for sure lose a trial.

jaywalker 5 years, 11 months ago

srj,

'Cuz they're morons. Wonder if they're the same clowns from near L West?

pissedinlawrence 5 years, 11 months ago

Kookamooka 5 years, 11 months ago

As soon as I read that I thought...yippee they left some evidence! It won't be long now.

somebodynew 5 years, 11 months ago

LarryNative - While that is a good idea, you do realize that is where the parking lots for all those apts and houses are, don't you? While the article doesn't really mention it, they perhaps just parked their car and were trying to get home.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 11 months ago

jafs 5 years, 11 months ago

The easier way to prevent these problems would be to be home in bed at 2:35am.

RoeDapple 5 years, 11 months ago

tumbilweed (Anonymous) says… "You mean we will have to start acting like thugs to get rid of the thugs. Are you sure this will solve anything."

It might.

Only getting worse using the "Wish it would just go away" method.

flux 5 years, 11 months ago

Once again……stay out of alley's at night idiot's!

Yes, its the victims fault....please

RoeDapple 5 years, 11 months ago

No flux, the idiot is you. People who live and/or are employed in areas where crossing the alley is part of their daily routine should not have to alter their way of life to fit your ideal. They aren't the problem, any more than a rural resident who gets mugged in the driveway of their home after working the 5:00 PM to 2:00AM shift. Only an idiot blames the victim.

RoeDapple 5 years, 11 months ago

Sorry flux, need more coffee............

somebodynew 5 years, 11 months ago

Roe ?? I guess so. You normally are much more "in tune" than that. Been there, done that though, so hope your day gets better and is good to you.

somebodynew 5 years, 11 months ago

But in your defense RoeDapple - flux could have included quotes around the comment he was being sarcastic about so that it would not seem to be his/her own statement.

RoeDapple 5 years, 11 months ago

Nah, my fault. Been doing "real" work this week,(read 'manual labor') so body is not attached to head. Only skimmed comments and reacted accordingly. I be better now.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm fascinated that the LJW mods removed a post of mine where I explain that I can understand Marions gun rants only in context of his rather peculiar views regarding WW II and the Holocaust.

I don't see how "connecting the dots" on Marions views of the world is any violation of any of the LJW Terms of Use.

I would just suggest the mods read more of his posts. I said nothing not factually supported by Marion's own postings on this very forum.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

"One of the bullets is probably going to hit one of your buds in the spine." I loves the smell of hyperbole in the afternoon.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 11 months ago

Handguns in the the US kill more people every day than Marion's much feared swine flu kills.

Buy a N95 mask for those statistics, Marion.

Evan Ridenour 5 years, 11 months ago

Concealed carry has its place, my only concern is the lack of training. There is a time and a place to whip out a CC'ed weapon and defend yourself or others and there is a time (almost ALL of the time when you don't). The only issue I have with CC is that the training is so sparse that I don't believe these people are capable of distinguishing this especially when the decision needs to be made very quickly. If someone approaches me in an alley, pulls a weapon and demands money from me I am going to give them it and the last thing I would want is someone who is CC pulling a gun on the guy pointing a weapon at me. I also wouldn't want a friend who was with me to do that either. If a situation can be avoided without violence it should be ESPECIALLY when weapons are involved.

I used to work at a bank and for awhile I was a bank teller and I had a lot of CC permit owners tell me that if they were in a bank and the teller was being held at gun point they would draw their weapon... none of these guys would listen to reason about why that would be a HORRIBLE idea. Who is the most likely one to be injured or killed in that situation? ME. (Or if not me, a co-worker, the robber, the CC, a customer, etc, why not let the robber take the money, leave, and let the cops own him later that day). Especially in the case of banks, robbing a bank is the most stupid thing you can ever do. It gets the FBI and KBI involved, the sentences are MUCH harsher, the rates of conviction are MUCH higher and while I won't go into the security measures banks use... they have very extensive and sophisticated ways of tracking and catching these people once they leave the bank... oh ya, and the money is INSURED! A CC isn't a license to go around shooting anyone displaying a gun, other peoples lives are at stake. Don't pull your weapon if it will cause violence that otherwise won't occur.

Money and valuables can be replaced, but peoples lives can't be. Keep those weapons holstered where they belong unless the only, and I mean ONLY option is to take them out.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says…

What about all the Wild West shootouts between CCW permit holders that were gonna sweep Kansas? Oh, wait, that didn't actually happen. It appears that the vast majority of CCW permit holders are being responsible citizens. Imagine that. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I imagine it has more to do with not being in a situation that would require the use of CCW. How often are you involved in a mugging, bank robbery, kidnapping or serial shooting spree, Snap?

Evan Ridenour 5 years, 11 months ago

"What about all the Wild West shootouts between CCW permit holders that were gonna sweep Kansas? Oh, wait, that didn't actually happen. It appears that the vast majority of CCW permit holders are being responsible citizens. Imagine that."

I wasn't implying there were significant occurrences of this happening. But even ONE CC pulling his weapon when it is better for everyone involved if he just turn around and walk away can have deadly consequences. I have no problem with CC, I just have an issue with the complete dearth of training that is required from them. Make it at least on pair with law enforcement or get rid of it.

That is my opinion and I am sticking to it!

Katara 5 years, 11 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says…

Katara (Anonymous) says…

“I imagine it has more to do with not being in a situation that would require the use of CCW. How often are you involved in a mugging, bank robbery, kidnapping or serial shooting spree, Snap?”

Marion writes:

EVen thought snap and myslef often go 'round and 'round, I'm gong to answer here.

How often?

Only takes one time!

Were I to carry, my preferred sidearm would be of heavy calibre, alloy framed, small; easily concealable, such that one might not want to practice with heavy loads; eschewing the carry gun for a heavier duplicate; that is, practicing with the sledgehammer and using the finely tuned ball-peen when the rubber meets the road.

Think “Star PD”.

or not ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Boy, talk about living in fear! It only takes one time. Do you wear your N95 masks 24/7 using that logic?

yellowhouse 5 years, 11 months ago

If the Police made it an ordinance for everyone in town to carry a camera, and all the businesses to set up some kind of surviellance recording equipment.....

I bet the crime rate would go down!

Criminals are just as afraid of camera's as they are guns!

HootyWho 5 years, 11 months ago

the victims did what they were supposed to do,,, hand it over,,,and live to tell about it

MyName 5 years, 11 months ago

AZHoop:

Well yeah, if you're an idiot who thinks having a gun automatically makes you safe. Or you could realize that it's only money and there's a reason why we have police in this country. If the police/law enforcement situation stops working, then I'm all for private security/concealed carry. But the problem with guns is that, the more of them are out there in public, the more likely an idiot is going to be carrying one, and the mistakes you make with guns are kind of permanent.

In any case, this is one of the great things about any civilized country: being able to walk down the street without worrying if there's some idiot out there with a gun.

TobiasFunke 5 years, 11 months ago

lawrenceguy40 (Anonymous) says…

Tell the people that their every need will be delivered by your administration, and this is what you will get when you cannot deliver!

Be careful with your vote next time!!!!

This is complete idiocy. Seriously, it makes absolutely no sense. Is this a joke? I really do want to know.

kmat 5 years, 11 months ago

"AZHoop says:

Basically: Live your life in fear, don’t go certain places, and when faced with force cower and hand everything over."

People with brains will just hand over their belongings when a gun is aimed at them. My husband's a banker and has been robbed at gun point. The smart thing is to just give them what they want so you don't get hurt and let the police deal with it later. My wallet isn't worth risking my life, even if I was packing heat. Anyone that would rather try to fight when I gun is aimed at them isn't smart enough to carry a weapon. Much easier to lose a little cash (no one should be carrying much cash anyways) and some credit cards that can be cancelled very quickly.

And I don't live in fear, I do walk at night and don't avoid anyplace in Lawrence. Cowering when faced with force is smart when the force used is a loaded gun at your head. Some idiot wants to just try to attack me without a weapon, then they'd get a taste of what I learned in Tae Kwon Do and would probably be trying to retrieve their nuts since they'd be crammed way up inside.

feeble 5 years, 11 months ago

Looking back at the recent spate of robbery and thug-like activity that graces the Lawrence police blotter and LJworld pages, it occurs to me that CC wouldn't have been much help at all.

Most of the robberies involve somone getting robbed who had been at a bar. Were they to actually carry their concealed weapon, they would have set themselves up for sanction under the Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act 75-7c10 and 75-7c12.

I mean, the first two questions a LEO is going to ask are "do you have a conceal carry permit?" and "have you had anything to drink tonight?"

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Ti Kwan Leep leaves Tae Kwon Do whimpering in the dust.