Pageant official quits over Miss. Calif. decision
Los Angeles — Former Miss USA Shanna Moakler resigned as co-executive director of the Miss California USA pageant on Wednesday, saying she no longer believes in the organization because of pageant owner Donald Trump’s decision to let the state’s controversial title holder keep her crown.
After Miss California USA Carrie Prejean created a stir with her response to a question about gay marriage at last month’s Miss USA pageant, questions about her work with gay marriage opponents and nearly nude photos taken of her when she was a teenager put her title in jeopardy.
At a news conference Monday, Moakler angrily accused Prejean of violating the contract she signed with pageant organizers, but Trump announced Tuesday that Prejean would keep her title.
Moakler, the Miss USA of 1995, said she decided after Trump’s news conference to quit.
“I cannot with a clear conscience move forward supporting and promoting the Miss Universe Organization when I no longer believe in it or the contracts I signed committing myself as a youth,” she said in a statement issued by her publicist. “I want to be a role model for young women with high hopes of pageantry, but now feel it more important to be a role model for my children.”
Moakler, an actress and model, posed nude for Playboy magazine but not until several years after she was Miss USA. The December 2001 Playmate of the Month said in her Playboy bio that her turnoffs include, “People who lie, cheat and are dishonest.”
Kanye West doesn’t like Twitter — or impostors
New York — Kanye West doesn’t like impostors. And he doesn’t care much for Twitter, either.
In a blog posting, the outspoken rapper railed against the micro-blogging site for allowing users to set up accounts under fake names. West called on the site to take down the user tweeting under his name — and Twitter listened.
The user — named KanyeWest — was suspended Wednesday. The site doesn’t allow impersonation, but does allow parody impersonations clearly meant as a joke.
Fake celebrity Twitter accounts have been a fact of life for the rapidly growing Twitter, but the site says it’s working to combat the problem. Twitter co-founder Biz Stone said in an e-mail that Twitter is looking at how best to implement an account verification system.
Either way, West doesn’t plan to join. He said he’s “too busy actually being creative most of the time” and that “everything that Twitter offers I need less of.”
Police: Burglar had no part in messy home
Los Angeles — A burglar alarm led police to Lindsay Lohan’s house on Tuesday, where officers found evidence of a potential break-in and ransacking.
Turns out, the mess belonged to Lohan, not the burglars, police said.
An alarm company notified police that someone tripped an alarm at the house around 3 p.m. in Hollywood. Police determined no one entered the home and nothing was stolen, but the mess inside the starlet’s home prompted officers to ask, “Is it normally like this, or did the intruders do it?” said Los Angeles police Officer Karen Rayner.
Lohan was not at home at the time.
A message left with Lohan’s publicist Leslie Sloane-Zelnik was not immediately returned Tuesday night.
3 plead not guilty in Anna Nicole drug case
Los Angeles — Anna Nicole Smith’s lawyer-turned-boyfriend and two doctors pleaded not guilty Wednesday to charges they conspired to provide thousands of prescription pills to the former model before her overdose death two years ago.
The appearance of Howard K. Stern and Drs. Khristine Eroshevich and Sandeep Kapoor in Superior Court set the stage for a preliminary hearing that all parties said could last at least two weeks.
Deputy District Attorney Renee Rose said there are 1,400 pages of discovery in the case, which was investigated for two years before charges were filed. Court Commissioner Kristi Lousteau ordered documents in the case sealed, although attorneys said that about a quarter of the material has already been made public.
The hearing was brief and Smith’s name was not mentioned.
Stern, Eroshevich and Kapoor stood before Lousteau with their lawyers. The defendants said “yes” when she asked if they were pleading not guilty and when they agreed to delay the matter until June 8 for setting of the preliminary hearing date. They declined to comment outside court.
Beyonce, T.I. lead BET Awards nominees
Los Angeles — For Beyonce and T.I., No. 1 is followed by five — BET Awards nominations, that is.
The two entertainers, who each who scored No. 1 hit songs and videos this year, lead BET Awards nominees with five each.
Beyonce also counts a No. 1 film among her recent credits: “Obsessed,” which topped the box office when it opened last month.
The 27-year-old singer is up for female R&B; artist, actress, the viewer’s choice award and video of the year, where she has nods for both “Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)” and “If I Were a Boy.”
T.I. has two nominations for best collaboration — with Rihanna for “Live Your Life” and with Yung L.A. and Young Dro for “Ain’t I.”
The 28-year-old rapper is also up for male hip-hop artist, the viewer’s choice award and video of the year.
Lil Wayne, T-Pain and Keri Hilson have four nominations each. Other multiple nominees include Jennifer Hudson, Jazmine Sullivan, Kanye West, Keyshia Cole and Jamie Foxx, who is set to host the show on June 28 at the Shrine Auditorium.