Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, March 7, 2009

People in the news

March 7, 2009

Advertisement

Winehouse charged with assault at party

London — Fresh from a two-month Caribbean vacation, singer Amy Winehouse is due in court for an alleged attack on a fellow guest at a party last year.

The retro-soul singer was charged with assault Thursday for allegedly attacking a fan at an end-of-summer ball in London on Sept. 26, police and the singer’s representative said.

Dancer Sherene Flash had been quoted by tabloid newspapers as saying she was hit in the eye by the 25-year-old “Back to Black” singer after asking to take her picture at the Berkeley Ball, a charity function held in central London’s Berkeley Square.

Spokesman Chris Goodman said Friday that Winehouse went voluntarily to the police station, where she was arrested and charged. She’s been released and is due to appear in court on March 17, police said.

Winehouse’s battles with addiction and frequent run-ins with the law have been highly publicized. She was fined for illegally possessing marijuana in Norway in 2007, and her drug problems have been front page news in Britain, where she was pictured puffing on what appeared to be a crack pipe last year.

Attorney: Rihanna will testify if called

Los Angeles — Rihanna’s attorney says the singer would testify against Chris Brown if called as a witness in her boyfriend’s assault case.

Donald Etra, who is representing the 21-year-old Barbados native, said Friday that Rihanna would be required by law to testify if prosecutors subpoena her.

Etra appeared in court Thursday when Brown made his first appearance on charges of assaulting and making criminal threats to his superstar girlfriend. Brown’s arraignment was postponed until April 6.

Etra said Rihanna did not want a “no contact” order issued against Brown, but that she will report any violations of an order prohibiting the 19-year-old singer from threatening, harassing or harming his girlfriend. A court order grants her the authority to record any violations of the order.

The order is not uncommon in cases where a victim says he or she doesn’t want to completely cut off communication with a person, said Steve Cron, a Santa Monica criminal defense attorney who has represented celebrities such as Paula Poundstone and Scott Weiland.

Football player, actor Bosworth arrested

Los Angeles — Former NFL player-turned-actor Brian Bosworth has been arrested in Hollywood on suspicion of driving under the influence.

Los Angeles police Sgt. Alex Ortiz says Bosworth was arrested early Friday. The 43-year-old Bosworth was being held on $5,000 bail.

Bosworth played for Oklahoma before retiring three years into a 10-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks because of a shoulder injury.

Willis sues production company over funding

Los Angeles — Bruce Willis has filed a countersuit against a team of movie producers who had earlier accused him of breach of contract for backing out of a film project.

In his complaint, filed Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court, the 53-year-old actor alleges that the producers of “Three Stories About Joan” have failed to demonstrate they had full funding for the project by an agreed-upon deadline.

Willis seeks $8.7 million in compensatory damages against some two dozen defendants.

The producers sued Willis last week for $4 million. They alleged he quit as director without notice, in violation of his contract.

Police arrest Coolio on drug suspicion

Los Angeles — Authorities say they have arrested Coolio on suspicion of drug possession.

The rapper was arrested and booked after being stopped at Los Angeles International Airport on Friday morning.

Jail records indicate the 45-year-old rapper was being held on felony narcotics possession. Coolio, whose real name is Artis Leon Ivey Jr., and was released after posting $10,000 bail.

The arrest was first reported by the celebrity gossip Web site TMZ.com.

Coolio’s manager, Susan Haber, said she had not yet spoken with the rapper and could not comment.

Phish heads descend on reunion concert

Hampton, Va. — Phish heads are converging on Hampton for the first show since the jam band’s breakup in 2004.

Guitarist Trey Anastasio, bassist Mike Gordon, keyboardist Page McConnell and drummer Jon Fishman will play three sold-out shows at the Hampton Coliseum starting Friday.

When the reunion concerts were announced last fall, the band’s intensely devoted fans snapped up tickets immediately, and seats for the opening show were being resold for as high as $1,000 on Thursday. The summer tour dates have also sold out.

Jason Bishop has gone to about 80 Phish shows since he started following them in 1993. Since then, the 34-year-old Richmond man met his wife, got married and now has an 8-month-old son. He was one of the lucky fans who managed to get tickets for Friday’s opener with relative ease.

“The lottery gods smiled down upon me; I paid $60 a ticket,” he said. “I did purchase one StubHub ticket that ended up going to a friend — that ended up going for $300.”

Area hotels were booked immediately after the October announcement of the Hampton shows. Local inn owners have reported fielding calls from Phish fans from most states and as far away as Belgium and Germany, and a campsite is being set up for the weekend at a local stadium.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.