Archive for Wednesday, June 17, 2009

GOP senator admits extramarital affair

June 17, 2009

— Sen. John Ensign of Nevada, a conservative Republican with evident presidential ambitions, abruptly announced Tuesday he carried on an extramarital affair for much of last year with a woman on his campaign staff, a confession that jarred his scandal-weary state as well as his party.

“It is the worst thing I have ever done in my life,” Ensign said in a brief appearance before reporters. He provided few details other than to say he does not intend to resign from Congress, and he did not disclose what prompted his decision to declare his infidelity. “If there was ever anything in my life that I could take back, this would be it,” he added.

Ensign, 51, belongs to the men’s group Promise Keepers, a Christian ministry. A member of the Senate Republican leadership, he was chairman of the party’s campaign committee leading up to the 2008 elections in which Republicans lost eight seats to Democrats.

Comments

KansasVoter 5 years, 9 months ago

The only surprise in this story about a republican hypocrite is the fact that the affair was with a woman.

tolawdjk 5 years, 9 months ago

Let's see....I'm in a high profile job with more enemies than friends. I belong to a group of individuals that firmly defends the ideas and strengths of traditional marriage as part of its core beliefs.

I know! I'll boink this hot staffer! I won't get caught cause I am better at covering my tracks than -all- the other people that have gotten caught at this in the same job I am in.

Fool.

vega 5 years, 9 months ago

Who cares really about somebody's sexual habits - if he feels guilty he should go talk to a priest or a shrink. Tired of those guys confessing publicly - I think they're tryng to prove to everybody how macho they are or whatever. It is the worst thing he has ever done he says - a politician, come on!

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 9 months ago

You liberals love to gload when your fellow man falls don't you. He messed up and now he's going to suffer for it. The lesson is that our actions have concerquenes. Clinton having an affair wasn't the big deal, it was lying to a grand jury about it that was the big deal.

pace 5 years, 9 months ago

If the reason he confessed is because he made a mistake and decided to admit it, then good for him. I think that there is a possibility that he may be trying to be responsible for his life. I am tired of spins rather than answers. If the GOP is going to change I hope that it include dealing with mistakes and taking responsibility.

staff04 5 years, 9 months ago

An affair with a woman? Of age?

He must have forgotten what party he's in!

sandersen 5 years, 9 months ago

And Newt was having an affair while castigating Clinton for "immoral conduct".

And Limbaugh was bashing Darrell Strawberry for drug use while illegally obtaining prescription drugs to maintain his own addiction.

It is not about "gloading", it is about pointing out that those whom purport to be most righteous in order to criticize the beliefs/lives/loves of others are the individuals most likely to be doing the same or worse under the cover of darkness.

staff04 5 years, 9 months ago

pace-

At least one reasonably trusted source in DC says he confessed because the spouse (a former staffer) of the woman he cheated with was going to blow his cover.

My speculation only: he wasn't going to tell anyone until he got his tit caught in the ringer...

thelonious 5 years, 9 months ago

Not likely.

dandelion 5 years, 9 months ago

Why was he asked about an affair under oath anyway? What did it have to do with anything being investigated? The gloat is the hypocrisy of these guys. They join groups like Promise Keepers, rail against gay marriage, talk about how family values, then they don't practice what they preach. They are the one's that make themselves a target.

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

I'd prefer it if he just stood there with big tears in his eyes and say "I have sinned! I have sinned!"

Tom, anything you had to say about John Edwards, please direct it toward John Ensign. Anything others have to say about John Ensign, please direct it toward John Edwards.

AjaxIII 5 years, 9 months ago

A republican having a "moral" lapse is right up there with a democrat not paying their taxes.

Don't preach it if you can't live it.

classclown 5 years, 9 months ago

dandelion (Anonymous) says…

==================================

Because he was being sued for sexual harassment. That's where the whole thing began.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 9 months ago

C'mon classclown, don't let a little thing like the facts get in the way. He shouldn't have HAD to lie underoath damn it!

llama726 5 years, 9 months ago

Tom, I read the bit on Kennedy a few days ago on CNN, it was a prominent story on their website.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 9 months ago

“The effort to pass a constitutional amendment reaffirming marriage as being between a man and a woman only is being undertaken strictly as a defense of marriage against the attempt to redefine it and, in the process, weaken it,” Ensign said. “Marriage is an extremely important institution in this country and protecting it is, in my mind, worth the extraordinary step of amending our constitution.”

Funny that marriage is only sacred when talking about gay rights but we can still sleep with our staffers ...

(Talking about Bill Clinton) “I came to that conclusion recently, and frankly it’s because of what he put his whole Cabinet through and what he has put the country through,” Ensign said Thursday, becoming the first member of the Nevada delegation to call for Clinton to quit. “He has no credibility left.”

But Ensign has sure stated that he has no intention to quit.

THIS is why liberals jump on this stuff. Because conservatives are very outward with their moral authority yet keep getting caught doing the things they condemn others for.

Bucker00 5 years, 9 months ago

So, the message from so many posters here is, when he fesses up after getting caught, it's so much worse than the lying obfuscation that consistently comes from the other side of the political spectrum (which happens not infrequently)? Who exactly are the hypocrites? The ones not defending this man's actions, but not wanting to throw the baby out with the bathwater, or the ones who had no problem (personal life and all that crud) when one of their own got caught with his knickers down, and then lied about it? I do note that John Edwards was excoriated... eventually. But only because he might have severely damaged his party should he have miraculously secured the presidential nomination. Ensign did wrong, and deserves what he's going to get out of it. At least he didn't lie before the camera for months.

beawolf 5 years, 9 months ago

Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says… "Clinton? That was an affair? No. That was a 52 yr old sitting president acting like a 10 yr old inbred, inserting cigars into a 21 yr old intern and having her perform fellatio on him in a closet until he let it fly all over her pretty little blue dress."

Did you have an orgasm while typing this? I don't think recapping the details was necessary to make whatever point you were trying to make.

90% of us could care less about Ensign's or Clinton's sexual habits. The others are most likely hypocrites.

uncleandyt 5 years, 9 months ago

Why do I have the felling that this is NOT "the worst thing" he's "ever done" in his life??

Bossa_Nova 5 years, 9 months ago

now ensign can switch over to the democrat party

sandersen 5 years, 9 months ago

bossa-

I guess that means Newt, and a long and distinguished list of republicans are going to switch affiliation if that is the new standard operating procedure...

purplesage 5 years, 9 months ago

Lots of stones being cast here. With nothing implied toward anyone, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," declares the Scripture. The particualr error is amplified by the degree of hypocrisy involved. Grace holds that sin is forgiveable.

But there may be a consequence - like resignation or electoral defeat - for this particual mis-step.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 9 months ago

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. There's no man alive that a woman can trust!

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

"So, the message from so many posters here is, when he fesses up after getting caught, it's so much worse than the lying obfuscation that consistently comes from the other side of the political spectrum (which happens not infrequently)?"

Which other side of the political spectrum? I think that lying obfuscation happens on both sides with a great degreee of frequency.

And wait, but did purplesage just chastise posters for being judgmental? Yikes.