Archive for Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Charges filed against father, son in attempted murder case

Arthur Davis III made his first appearance from the Douglas County Jail Wednesday afternoon after being arrested in connection with an attack on his wife. He is charged with attempted first degree murder and is being held on a $300,000 bond.

June 17, 2009, 12:29 p.m. Updated June 17, 2009, 6:48 p.m.

Ex-husband, son charged in attack with baseball bat

A 45-year-old Lawrence woman woke up early Tuesday morning to her 15-year-old son beating her in the head with an aluminum softball bat, according to documents filed Wednesday in Douglas County District Court. Enlarge video

Both the boy and his father, Arthur Davis III, 60, are charged with attempted first-degree murder in the attack on Davis’ ex-wife at her home in the 1100 block of Hilltop Drive.

“This is an extremely brutal and violent crime,” Assistant District Attorney David Melton told Douglas County Pro Tem Judge Jim George, during Davis’ first court appearance.

“The evidence will demonstrate the victim was particularly vulnerable at the time of the attack because she was asleep.”

As he read the charge, Melton said Davis is accused of repeatedly striking his ex-wife with a baseball bat, with the intent to kill her.

Police arrested the father and son after the victim was able to call 911 about 1:10 a.m. Tuesday. When police arrived, officers said they saw the boy chasing his mother down the street with a bat.

Melton said even after the victim told her ex-husband that police were on the way, the attack continued.

The couple is in the midst of a complicated child custody dispute, involving their 15-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter, who also was detained Tuesday morning on suspicion of conspiracy to commit a felony. The Douglas County District Attorney’s office has not filed any charges against the girl.

Both children remain at the Juvenile Detention Center. The 15-year-old had a detention hearing Wednesday afternoon in court, although that hearing was closed to the public.

The judge ordered the boy to remain detained, because of the seriousness of the alleged crime and because “the juvenile is dangerous to himself or others.”

Lawrence attorney Craig Stancliffe was appointed to defend the teen, who is due back in court Aug. 5.

Meanwhile, prosecutors told the judge that evidence will show the father was the ring leader.

“He manipulated and involved at least one of his children to take part in this crime,” Melton said.

Melton asked the judge to set Davis’ bond at $750,000 and require him to wear a GPS device if he’s released from the Douglas County Jail.

The prosecutor also showed the court four pictures of the victim, taken after the attack, asking the judge to look at the photographs before setting bond.

“Only such a high bond will guarantee the reappearance of the defendant, the safety of the community and, specifically, the safety of the victim in this case,” Melton told the judge.

But Davis, wearing a green jumpsuit, slumped over the podium in the courtroom at the jail, argued that was an exorbitant amount of money for someone with no criminal history.

“I have no history of a felony. ... I have no intention of leaving. I think I can disprove this case anyway,” Davis said.

Davis, who told the judge that he’s retired but earns about $1,000 a month teaching classes five days a week, said the most important people in his life are his son and daughter.

The judge ordered Davis to have no contact with his children and set his bond at $300,000. If he posts bond, he will not be required to wear a GPS unit.

Lawrence attorney Greg Robinson was appointed to defend Davis. His next court date is Tuesday.

Comments

kickpoprnce 4 years, 10 months ago

holy crap...(excuse me)...this is something straight out of a movie

Fatty_McButterpants 4 years, 10 months ago

I see the Law & Order and C.S.I. crowd has shown up in force... unfortunately.

pace 4 years, 10 months ago

So you are asserting the males were victims and the woman was chasing through the street head butting their baseball bat. O maybe you just want me to alway type. he/she and to always remember that sometimes things are different at different times and that every comment should reflect all the differences. In honor of your sensibilities, lets just say, if someone is abusing you, STEP OUT, it won't get better if you cower and listen to their sorry. My statements were in response to the idea that someone should stay in an abusive relationship because the "abuser" might kill them if they get a divorce. Well baby, that is not a path to safety. I would still sy take care of yourself, that might mean giving up a life style, or moving, or getting a gun and training, and own your own life.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

seems the 15-year-old should be tried as an adult, he had the intention to kill her: bashing her while she slept; chasing her down the street with the bat.

absolutely an outrage! no gps on Arthur Davis III?!? this is deeply appalling!
and now one anonymous poster tells us he teaches a martial art too. why is he allowed bail?

Pace, you are right, but please remember that men are sometimes confronted by a violent woman in their lives too. the response is very complex for the man: do I hit her and get called an abuser since I am a man? she uses the usual assumptions like in your posts to hide behind. she may be hitting him, threatening him, pointing weapons at him, but maybe he's been taught the old saying "you don't hit a girl." maybe he has more physical strength, but she has more cunning.
etc. please remember that there certainly are male victims of domestic violence too.

none2 4 years, 10 months ago

RuralKsGirl (Anonymous) says…

The leniency in this case by the judge is sickening. Can you imagine the fear that this woman is experiencing right now wondering if and when he'll make bail? And WHY no GPS??? I apologize if someone is offended by my saying this, but I believe that 15-year old son of theirs should be tried as an adult. At that age, most kids are strong enough to do some serious damage… the same as, if not more than, an adult.

One isn't tried as an adult because of their strength, but because of their culpability for the deed.

I personally think that if a 15 year old bashes someone with a bat for anything other than self-defense, he probably needs to be heavily medicated OR get a lobotomy. The fact that he did it to his mother while she was sleeping, simply reinforces that belief. Kids will be kids or boys will be boys is no excuse for attempted murder.

kathyw105 4 years, 10 months ago

ebyrdstarr,

You have a good point. But sorry, I won't "assume" anything, because as the old saying goes, it makes an "ASS out of U and ME". I'll wait for the facts to come out as I'm sure that they will.

Sigmund 4 years, 10 months ago

pace (Anonymous) says… "Sigmond, you are correct. I think training is important whenever you get a gun."

Too many women have been unwilling to shoot to defend themselves have had the gun taken and used against them. It takes more than physical training, you must be emotionally able to shoot to defend. That is all i meant.

ebyrdstarr 4 years, 10 months ago

Kathy the suspicion line was from the first morning when the police were sorting things out. Since that time the DA's office has reviewed the case and given no indication they intend to charge the girl. Given the complicated situation, it's not unprecedented for a kid to be held for a few days. Doesn't mean she tried to kill her mother.

Shouldn't we err on the side of assuming she isn't involved?

pace 4 years, 10 months ago

Sigmond, you are correct. I think training is important whenever you get a gun. It should be required. also one has to decide to defend themselves. I am not as sure about if you are somewhat uncertain. I am not sure it would be so easy to shoot someone coming at you, but I would prefer to be trained and ready to defend myself. I was just reacting to the idea that one should stay married so an abusive person won't come at you.
Abusive persons kill a lot of people who stay in. I say dump the guy, get a gun and decide to own your own life.

Sigmund (Anonymous) says…

pace (Anonymous) says… “Dump them and buy a gun.”

Only if you KNOW you can and would use deadly force to defend yourself. If you are at all uncertain, don't buy a gun.

RuralKsGirl 4 years, 10 months ago

The leniency in this case by the judge is sickening. Can you imagine the fear that this woman is experiencing right now wondering if and when he'll make bail? And WHY no GPS??? I apologize if someone is offended by my saying this, but I believe that 15-year old son of theirs should be tried as an adult. At that age, most kids are strong enough to do some serious damage... the same as, if not more than, an adult. What must his dad have told him to cause so much hatred toward his own mother? I can't even begin to comprehend feeling that way toward a parent!

I don't know this woman but I've been in an abusive relationship and can truly say I am very fearful for her. It scares me to think that you all could be right by saying if/when he tries it again, he'll make sure he succeeds. It's also heartbreaking to have kids of my own and think that a situation like this could ever cause someone to not want custody of their own children. I'll be praying for this woman and her safety, and that her children can see that a life of violence simply isn't the way to go.

Thank you, some of you, for actually taking this story seriously enough to post respectable comments. Although the LARD jokes were funny (sorry, but they were), this comments section was not the place for them. I'm NOT saying you aren't taking the situation serious, it's just a touchy subject for some of us.

The large majority of us posting here will never know the details of this case, nor should we unless we're directly involved, so what we say is speculation or opinion. (And you know what they say about opinions.............)

kathyw105 4 years, 10 months ago

ebyrdstarr, Again, I absolutely agree that we have to wait for the facts to come out on the daughter, but doesn't she have relatives around that could take her in if she wasn't involved? I don't think that the Juvenile Detention Center is in the practice of babysitting kids that have nothing to do with a major crime, but I could be wrong.

I must say that the story does state "The couple is in the midst of a complicated child custody dispute, involving their 15-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter, who also was detained Tuesday morning on suspicion of conspiracy to commit a felony.". So did the LJWorld make up that she's detained for "suspicion of conspiracy to commit a felony", or did the prosecutor's office tell them that. That's really the key.

Well, we should know everything soon enough, and for one I'm going to pray for the woman's quick recovery while waiting for all of the facts to play out.

Sigmund 4 years, 10 months ago

Dani (Anonymous) says… "And yes, having met Mr. Robinson before and knowing of his work, I do think he will do his absolute best for Mr. Davis regardless of what the victim does for a living."

OK, no problem. BTW, you wouldn't happen to be interested in a financial opportunity in some raw land in Florida or a toll bridge in Brooklyn?

Dani Davey 4 years, 10 months ago

Sigmund (Anonymous) says…

Well apparently he didn't tell his client to shut the F' up. The whole “I have no history of a felony. … I think I can disprove this case anyway” is so telling. He might as well have said I pled that previous domestic abuse charge down to a misdemeanor and I think I covered my tracks here so they can't prove a thing.

Seriously this guy is a moron and if his wife is a defense attorney do you think a court appointed defense attorney is going to go to bat (pun intended) for him?

The statements were made at his first appearance, likely before his attorney was appointed and most certainly before the attorney had been given a chance to meet with him and tell him to shut his mouth. In fact, Mr. Robinson probably wasn't even notified of the appointment until later that afternoon or the next morning.

Sigmund 4 years, 10 months ago

pace (Anonymous) says… "Dump them and buy a gun."

birdsandflowers 4 years, 10 months ago

Hmmmm . . . husband batters wife to death equals life in prison . . . 15-year old son batters mom to death, out by age 21. Makes a person wonder.

ebyrdstarr 4 years, 10 months ago

Kathy, from the headline of the article it is clear that the boy has been charged. The girl has not. As for it being "evidence" of her involvement that she was taken into custody, nonsense. For her own safety, the state owes it to her to figure out what's going on before releasing her.

I just think it is extremely disheartening that so many people seem to start from the position of assuming she was involved instead of granting her the presumption of innocence. It's hardly suspicious that she was at home at 1 am. She hasn't been charged.

couranna1 4 years, 10 months ago

a loser and his son end of story

pace 4 years, 10 months ago

Women, if your husband is abusive, get out. The idea that one should stay married because the abuser might come back later and try to kill her is not a good plan. Dump them and buy a gun.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Green Melon: I apologize if you truly are friends with this girl, and therefore your feelings have been hurt. That is why, in my own posts, I've said "if" in reference to the girl.

Sigmund 4 years, 10 months ago

Dani (Anonymous) says… "Don't underestimate the capabilities of appointed attorneys. Because Douglas County doesn't have a public defender's office, these are all just private practice attorneys who have agreed to take on these huge cases for nominal pay despite having plenty of better paying clients to tend to. And Greg Robinson has a lot of felony criminal defense experience, and I suspect he will do good work for this guy."

Well apparently he didn't tell his client to shut the F' up. The whole "I have no history of a felony. … I think I can disprove this case anyway" is so telling. He might as well have said I pled that previous domestic abuse charge down to a misdemeanor and I think I covered my tracks here so they can't prove a thing.

Dani Davey 4 years, 10 months ago

Sigmund (Anonymous) says… “…Court appointment means this moron can't afford a more experienced attorney.”

Kat Christian 4 years, 10 months ago

I think any kid over the age of 16 should be tried as an adult in an attempted murder, manslaugther or murder charge (any deadly bodily harm). They should be old enough to know by then that if you commit a violent act against another human being with intentions of causing server or dealy bodily harm they should pay the ultimate price with their life. Either in prison or execution. But under that age and they killed someone they should remain in prison until they are 21 with the intentions of rehabalitative counseling and job skill training so when they are released they can become a productive member of our society (hopefully).

clms134 4 years, 10 months ago

Davis teaches Tai Chi. And Yes, he is quite capable of brainwashing his son. The couple has been divorced for a very long time. The custody battle is new.

stepmom123 4 years, 10 months ago

Wait, I'm confused. According to the article:

"...prosecutors told the judge that evidence will show the father was the ring leader"

So he is accused of the crime because the prosecutors told the judge he is? Did he actually commit the crime?

Too many unanswered questions. I'd like to hear why the son hated his mother so much that he would follow through with the brutal attack. Whether the Dad was the ring leader or not, there had to be some real hatred there.

See what custody battles do to families? To all you parents thinking about splitting up... WHEN YOU GET DIVORCED THINK ABOUT THE KIDS!!!

What a mess!

kthxbi 4 years, 10 months ago

all the hard lobbying? That commenter made one statement. And I doubt that it truly the child’s best friend. Greenmelon24? Really?

temperance 4 years, 10 months ago

Ebyrdstarr: “But you are perfectly willing to assume ‘she tried to kill her mother’ without one shred of evidence to support that assumption.”

Well, I think the “shred of evidence” is that the daughter was arrested for trying to kill her mother. I’m with Shadowbox on this one. All of the hard lobbying by the 12 year-old’s best friend is starting to look suspicious.

kathyw105 4 years, 10 months ago

ebyrdstarr,

We've absolutely got to wait for the facts to come out. But the prosecutor himself stated that she awoke to the boy beating her with the bat, yet he has also not been charged yet. Just because those kids haven't been charged yet doesn't mean that they won't be charged in the near future. Things in courts work differently when it comes to kids, especially in this crazy case. But give the DA's office a chance. I just hope they don't plea this down like everything else. That's getting SO old!

ebyrdstarr 4 years, 10 months ago

Shadowbox, that's a dangerous and reckless statement to make about a 12 year-old girl. What in this story makes you so certain? The fact that the girl hasn't been charged with anything? The fact that there's no mention of her ever touching the bat?

Good grief. She's 12. She was caught in the middle of a hideous moment. We know practically nothing about what happened that night or for the last several years. But you are perfectly willing to assume "she tried to kill her mother" without one shred of evidence to support that assumption. There are not sufficient words for me to convey my disgust. Shame on you.

Gootsie 4 years, 10 months ago

mom, they weren't turning the tragedy into lard jokes. they were just having a string of creativity. I would guess that not one of these posters thinks the actual crime is funny.

mominlawrence 4 years, 10 months ago

This forum just makes me want to cry....you have taken a horrible family tragedy and turned it into a series of jokes about LARD. I agree with Did_I_Say_That that family and friends of the victim should ignore these forums but I'd take it a bit further encourage anyone with an ounce of compassion and a tiny bit of common sense to avoid this forum. I will not be back.

shadowbox66044 4 years, 10 months ago

greenmelon24 --- she tried to kill her mother.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 10 months ago

Sigmund (Anonymous) says… "...Court appointment means this moron can't afford a more experienced attorney."

Ironic, since his wife is listed at justia.com as a lawyer. I do not know if justia is accurate; however, it would be ironic.

Lacy Mohler 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm guessing Davis WAS making $1000 a month teaching classes. I can't imagine anyone letting him continue--unless he teaches at a prison. He can't be teaching batting classes if the ex-wife is able to make phones calls while being hit over the head repeatedly with a ball bat. He must have never watched Gallagher smash a watermelon.

He probably won't screw up if given a second chance to kill her. The judge was too lenient.

Sigmund 4 years, 10 months ago

Here are the only two things you need to know about this case.

The first, “I have no history of a felony. ... I think I can disprove this case anyway,” Davis said. Not "I am innocent" or even "I have never been convicted of any crime."

The second, "Lawrence attorney Greg Robinson was appointed to defend Davis." Court appointment means this moron can't afford a more experienced attorney.

The only question is how many years will he get in prison.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 10 months ago

Greenmelon24, If you are the friend of the 12 year old girl, I would recommend that you ignore these forums. Friends and family usually only end up getting hurt or accidentally hurting those they are trying to defend. I suggest that you have your parents read through these with you and help you post any additional comments.

greenmelon24 4 years, 10 months ago

LISTEN EVERY1, THE 12 OLD GIRL, DID NOTHING,SHES MY BEST FRIEND, AND SHE WOULD NOT KILL HER MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Right again, Gnome. I deeply respect James George, now Judge George. I have to wonder, though, why he didn't order the elder Mr. Davis to wear a GPS device, and why he didn't go along with the higher bond amount. I fear that this monster may actually make bond. If so, this mother will not be safe anywhere. If he gets out, and wants to kill her badly enough...... God help her. Yes, I do believe the father is the ringleader here, but still, I hope mom no longer wants custody of this kid. Extremely frightening that at age 15, he's already crossed the line to this kind of violence. It does not bode well for his future. Yes, I'm confident dear old dad molded this boy into the person he is now. However, it remains that this mother will never be safe around at least one of her own children again. ( I say this because so little info about the daughter's involvement or the lack thereof is out to the public) That's why I posted yesterday that if (and I wish I could capitalize if) the daughter turns out to be guilty of conspiring to commit this crime, why continue to fight for custody of her? I mean, there's no "winning" in this custody case anymore. Mom will never be safe around her son again, and even if the daughter were to end up living with mom, would this woman really want to have to look over her shoulder for fear of her own child? As to the so-called father in this case. You pig! Do you feel like more of a man now, huh? I pray you wake up on Father's Day to find yourself still in jail. Is it truly worth trying to take your ex's life in order to "win"? What, pray tell, have you won, fool?

somebodynew 4 years, 10 months ago

WOW. The justice system in Douglas County. People bag on the police and the DA all the time, but it is a lot of times about the judges. Just why doesn't this guy have to wear a GPS system?? He is obviously a danger to at least one person - the victim.

Now, don't get me wrong, I respect George and think he is a fine attorney, but this is just wrong. And I too would like to know just what this guy is "teaching" five days a week and to who.

myvotecounts 4 years, 10 months ago

No one knows enough facts here yet, but my gut tells me the victim's safety comes first. That means this man should remain incarcerated or under constant surveillance with a GPS. Otherwise, the victim's safety is compromised. At his age, and with the charges he's already facing, he may think he doesn't have much to lose by attacking her again. If he does, it will be to finish the job. Whether that prediction is true or not, there's no harm in holding him while the situation is more thoroughly assessed. The victim's safety outweighs the angry estranged husband's desire to be out of jail.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 10 months ago

rotfl.

I think little Donnie Gilchrist who doesn't live in lawrence got more than he bargained for.

why isn't Arthur ordered to wear GPS? that's just silly.

and wth kinda classes does he teach?

how to involve your kids as pawns in a messy divorce and child custody battle that is really meant to rip the heart out of your former spouse? there's his classes.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 10 months ago

Does anyone know where Arthur Davis III teaches classes five days a week?

Lard 4 years, 10 months ago

Yes, I was on the porch that night, I can also confirm that I was stepped on.

shadowbox66044 4 years, 10 months ago

Yes ImAllThat, she dude use Crisco. Due to her Muslim beliefs she could not use regular lard.

ImAllThat 4 years, 10 months ago

I prefer Crisco when it comes to lard, anything else just takes the flavor right out. I bet, if the mom was smart, she used Crisco since it not only has a slippery texture when compared to other brands but it also sticks to surfaces quite well (shoes for instance), when compared to others that is.

NervousTick 4 years, 10 months ago

WOW ImAllThat, you fabricated this whole thing out of one word: LARD!

fairylight 4 years, 10 months ago

On the news last night I thought I heard them say the woman is an assistant public defender . I was almost asleep. It seems the name Judy Davis was mentioned.

ImAllThat 4 years, 10 months ago

Yes, the police found several other deterrents on the premises but they are not releasing and information on them at this time.

roger_gilchrist 4 years, 10 months ago

This is the first I've heard about the mother having lard on her porch. My brother, Don, said nothing about that. I wonder if she had other deterrents as well?

ImAllThat 4 years, 10 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. That lard trap was brilliant! Now, not only do they have the bat as evidence but also the shoes.

Clickker 4 years, 10 months ago

They need to try that boy as an adult.

NervousTick 4 years, 10 months ago

Interesting, now that you mention it...lard was found on the son's shoes, perhaps he was on the front porch?

opp 4 years, 10 months ago

I hope this comment doesn't get removed.

ImAllThat 4 years, 10 months ago

jumpin_catfish,

You’re right! The lard that was placed on the front porch really befuddled the cops; they later found out that it was the mom’s home security technique. She placed some lard on the front porch incase a burglar came, that way the burglar would have lard on his shoes and the cops could follow him by his lard trail.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 10 months ago

Maybe he meant the "lard" worked in a really mysterious way

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Could "donald" please expound on what he/she means? Thank You.

donald_gilchrist 4 years, 10 months ago

The lord worked in a really mysterious way right here.

slappedyomomma 4 years, 10 months ago

with the behavior demonstrated in this article, i would have expected them to be from Topeka and in Shawnee County court.

i wonder if they live in a double-wide, as they surely are acting like trailor-trash...

opp 4 years, 10 months ago

I guess you could say her son was driving her "bats"!

lowrentsKS 4 years, 10 months ago

the cats in the cradle with the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man on the moon....

LadyJ 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm going to assume she no longer wants the boy to live with her.

ImAllThat 4 years, 10 months ago

Since the mother is 45 and the father is a whopping 60 I wound say that the mother could justifiably call him a "crazy old man".