Archive for Saturday, June 13, 2009

Palin: Letterman owes women an apology

June 13, 2009

— Sarah Palin says David Letterman owes an apology to young women across the country for his joke about her daughter.

The Alaska governor appeared on NBC’s “Today” show Friday, continuing a feud with the CBS “Late Show” funnyman over his joke earlier this week that Palin’s daughter got “knocked up” by New York Yankee third baseman Alex Rodriguez during their recent trip to New York.

Asked by Matt Lauer whether Letterman owed her daughter an apology, the former vice presidential candidate broadened it.

Letterman has said his joke was about Palin’s 18-year-old daughter Bristol, who is an unwed mother (no name was used). Problem was, the Alaska governor was traveling with 14-year-old Willow.

Letterman said on his show Wednesday that he would “never, ever make jokes about raping or having sex of any description with a 14-year-old girl.” He said he was guilty of poor taste.

Palin said Friday that it was time for people to rise up against Letterman’s form of humor.

“No wonder young girls especially have such low self-esteem in America when we think it’s funny for a so-called comedian to get away with such a remark as he did,” she said.

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years, 9 months ago

Wonder how Letterman would like getting 'knocked up' in the seventh inning? What a POC......

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 9 months ago

I used to love Letterman when he was younger and irreverent. That was what made him funny, he would joke about anyone. Now that he has firmly picked a side, it just makes him another one of the idiots. Why don't you just move your show to MSNBC, Dave? Take a note from the Daily Show: Make fun of ALL the idiots. There's enough on both sides to go around.

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 9 months ago

porch_person-

Just out of curiosity, how does having their teenage daughter having a baby make their household a "god-awful mess"? I hear that sort of thing is pretty prevalent these days. I mean aside from naming their daughters Bristol and Willow, they seem to have a happy well-adjusted family from my point of view.

jaywalker 5 years, 9 months ago

Yeti,

Don't feed the trolls!

I heard Letterman's remarks, including the "apology" which was nothing of the kind. I didn't find the A-Rod joke humorous at all, but I admit I laughed at everything else. I find the guy hilarious, politics notwithstanding, though I did prefer when he hadn't so obviously 'picked a side' as Yeti mentioned. What kicked this all off was in poor taste no matter who he was referencing, but Palin would be better served to make a dignified comment and let it go. She'll be sorry for starting a feud with a man with his voice (and writing team).

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Ever since the election, "Republicans" have been looping the wood chipper... their shoulders have become kindling.

normal_entire_route 5 years, 9 months ago

Anyone upset at the things Letterman says needs to listen to Rush L. (another comedian) for about five minutes...ummm offensive remarks anyone?

grammaddy 5 years, 9 months ago

Let it go. David Letterman is a comedian/talk show host. He's already apologized and admitted that what he said was in bad taste., Geez, I haven't seen this much attention given to anyone since Roseanne sang the National Anthem. Get over it already. This is only as important as you let the Palin's make it. Guess they have to stay in the limelight somehow, huh. Get over it.

Aiko 5 years, 9 months ago

Let's see if we hear any similar jokes about the two Obama girls???

repaste 5 years, 9 months ago

Letterman is a comedian - he tells jokes for a living. Normal said it - no said a word when rush (another comedian) had a running joke about clintons "other dog" (he would show picture of chelsey). Maybe we should not treat comedians as leaders, like colbert said, "i dont pretend I am not a snake oil salesman"

nverlost 5 years, 9 months ago

Porch P- "If America turns into a place where comedians have to apologize for every little thing, then I think we'll really have gone down the tubes".

It's called Political Correctness - thank your wonderful Dem party for creating it in their illusions of helping the folks who for some reason can't help themselves.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

Did you hear about David Letterman's stalker?

Seems a stalker broke in the house during the seventh inning of the Yankees game and "knocked up" Dave's daughter.

Is that any more humorous or is it simply in bad taste?

Dave has truley "Picked sides", as the majority of the print and news media. It is clear, and what is also amazing, they don't weem to think it is a bad thing.

However, say somehting bad about President Obama's daughters the way some of the pudits made statments about the Bush girls and there woudl be heck to pay. Some of the posters here were merciless on the Buch girls. The day is coming that somebody will say something stupid about the First family's daughters, with the media being what it is it is only a matter of time, "then" we will see if the "moral outrage" is equal.

That is the evidence of the "double standard".

Same as the Criticism of Palin, Prejean, Coulter, and Malkin. Where are the femenist, but make a remark about Michelle Obama being a little "butch" and all hell will break loose.

WHY 5 years, 9 months ago

I thought it was funny. And the slutty flight attendant line was spot on.

WHY 5 years, 9 months ago

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

"Is that any more humorous or is it simply in bad taste?"

Just pointless, same as the original. Why are we now getting offended by late night comics?

"Dave has truley “Picked sides”, as the majority of the print and news media. It is clear, and what is also amazing, they don't weem to think it is a bad thing."

It's not optimal, but frankly the conservative movement more than earned their position over the last 8 years, as far as I'm concerned. But the extent of the bias that is generally claimed seems to me to exist only in the heads of those making the claim, who are generally the most ideologically bent people in the room.

"However, say somehting bad about President Obama's daughters the way some of the pudits made statments about the Bush girls and there woudl be heck to pay."

You are aware that Bush's daughters were 18 or older all of his presidency (if not all, do the math if you want to), and Obama's daughters are 7 and 11 years old, right? While I see no purpose in bring the president's family into the picture, to assume similarity between these situations is simply absurd. If you go that route, why don't we throw the treatment of Chelsea Clinton into the mix, too, and see how that turns out? Or does your bias not allow you to go back that far?

"Some of the posters here were merciless on the Buch girls."

Who cares about the posters here? As a general rule they are partisan and tasteless, at least if they're talking about presidential families for any reason. Trying to make anonymous forum posters representative of anything just means that you're trying to support a flawed point and it's the only way you can find evidence for it.

"The day is coming that somebody will say something stupid about the First family's daughters, with the media being what it is it is only a matter of time, “then” we will see if the “moral outrage” is equal."

If you want to say something stupid about children, then go ahead.

"That is the evidence of the “double standard”."

Properly, it's most likely evidence of Your double standard.

"Same as the Criticism of Palin, Prejean, Coulter, and Malkin. Where are the femenist, but make a remark about Michelle Obama being a little “butch” and all hell will break loose."

Give me a break. Do you remember the commentary about the "terrorist fist bump?" How in the hell is criticism of Palin, Coulter or Malkin the same as making a cheap shot about somebody's appearance? While sometimes the criticism of those above-mentioned politicians and pundits revolve around their appearance, in general it was their Positions on issues, and not how they look, that raised the ire of feminists and others alike. Equating the two either means that you're trying to pull a fast one or that your internal logic is just so weak as to make you actually believe that they are the same.

In summary, your supposed "points" are totally pointless. Go back and try again.

pace 5 years, 9 months ago

The joke is in poor taste. Isn't it precious that Palin is so willing to bear the detested media's limelight to help us judge him.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

Why have we heard no jokes about President Obama smoking cigarettes , but pushing to regulate tobacco products through the FDA?

Irony? Hypocritical? Perfect humor target?

Why no joke on that?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 9 months ago

You have to have a gag reflex to realize why none of this is funny. As the mother of a half-black child, I had a man tell me he wanted to have sex with her because he considered her an "exotic animal". Was I amused? Did I respond, ha, ha, of course you do! If I could have, I would have castrated him. Extreme? It sure didn't seem so at the moment. Are you people really so surprised that a mother does not want to hear those kind of remarks and will come to the defense of her child? I wonder how many slutty flight attendants laughed? I want every one of you who thought this was a giggle to make this kind of remark to a mothers face.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

"It's not optimal, but frankly the conservative movement more than earned their position over the last 8 years, as far as I'm concerned."

Ok then "payback is perfectly OK with you, because the "last guys did the same thing"?

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" "You are aware that Bush's daughters were 18 or older all of his presidency (if not all, do the math if you want to), and Obama's daughters are 7 and 11 years old, right?"

So the first family daughters are fine for targeting once they reach 18 years of age. If Obama makes a two term Presidency, "do the math" then they will be "fair game"? I don't think so, I thnk the "First Family" is off limits, esp[ecially the Children. It is difficult growing up in that "bubble". So the daughters will be 15 and 19. Guess wbetter get ready.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""' "If you go that route, why don't we throw the treatment of Chelsea Clinton into the mix, too, and see how that turns out? "

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" "How in the hell is criticism of Palin, Coulter or Malkin the same as making a cheap shot about somebody's appearance? "

Guess you did not see all the blogs, website opinions defending the Playboy article about "hate-rape" (they actually used the "f" word) fantasies on those conservative women. Double standard? You betcha'! NOW or a feminists group statment? Not a Peep!

Selective "outrage" is getting a little thin from the liberals and progressives.

How about the "Health Care Program" fix with Chris Dodd on the chairmanship. His wife is on the boards of 4 different Pharma Companies and Mecdical outlets.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" "In summary, your supposed “points” are totally pointless. Go back and try again."

Not according to the PEW research poll.

SAee me again when you have a response other tha "un unh".

The ole "no it isn't" defense is not working. Shows a lack of critical thinking and bias as well.

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

"So the first family daughters are fine for targeting once they reach 18 years of age. If Obama makes a two term Presidency, “do the math” then they will be “fair game”? I don't think so, I thnk the “First Family” is off limits, esp[ecially the Children. It is difficult growing up in that “bubble”. So the daughters will be 15 and 19. Guess wbetter get ready."

You're misrepresenting now. I said that they were not the same. For the rest, you're just guessing, and you got nothing. Saying "I think it will be this way" is not an argument.

"Yes and what happend to those who made those comments? They were villified, and had to make apologies. You are too selective in criticism."

Go back to the age thing again. And keep thinking about it until you get it.

"Guess you did not see all the blogs, website opinions defending the Playboy article about “hate-rape” (they actually used the “f” word) fantasies on those conservative women. Double standard? You betcha'! NOW or a feminists group statment? Not a Peep!"

Again, we're taking blogs and website opinions seriously? Why are we doing that?

"How about the “Health Care Program” fix with Chris Dodd on the chairmanship. His wife is on the boards of 4 different Pharma Companies and Mecdical outlets."

And this has to do with what?

"Not according to the PEW research poll."

"That may be your opinion, but I do not consider a Liberal in Lawrence Kansas as one of the most intellectual or informed people in the country. Not by a long way."

Of course you don't, but I'm a moderate, not a liberal, and I find you at least as uninformed and biased as you apparently find me. So we're at an impasse, but you still can make or defend a proper point on this issue.

"SAee me again when you have a response other tha “un unh”.

The ole “no it isn't” defense is not working. Shows a lack of critical thinking and bias as well."

That's pretty amusing as pretty much all of your responses were exactly that.

2002 5 years, 9 months ago

Letterman a comedian? Yeah, maybe 10 years ago. I think that he should appologize because he hasn't been funny for years and his face is still on TV.

Letterman's so-called joke wasn't funny. Palin shouldn't stoop to respond.

jmadison 5 years, 9 months ago

Letterman is an over the hill misogynist who is desperately trying to create some buzz for his show. He has been soundly trounced in the ratings by Leno for the past 18 years. Time to move Craig Ferguson into the 10:30 time slot for some real competition.

Aileen Dingus 5 years, 9 months ago

I didn't hear the joke, I read it, it wasn't funny, but then- most of Letterman's stuff isn't funny IMO.

However, I do with Sarah Palin would stop telling people what I need as a woman. She doesn't speak for me, and I'd rather not have people think that they owe me anything because of what she says.

sfjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

I know many women who think that it is Palin who owes women an apology - for being such an embarassment.

One of the truely sad parts about this idiot is that until she goes away for good, there is no chance that the republican party can attract smart people and become a party of ideas again. While the leaders of the republican party are the likes of Palin, Cheney and Rush they will continue to be narrow in their appeal. And that is sad because now, more than ever, we need an oposition party that can contribute constructively to the national debate.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

Chealsea was born on February 27, 1980 which means she was 12 when her father was elected and in the eight years she was 20. In 1999 People Magazine ran an article about her and the First Family flipped. So under your "age issue" that was OK, because it was around the time of the impeachment trials.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""" "You're misrepresenting now. I said that they were not the same. "

So how was I "misrepresenting". Just because you don't believe it or use ":circular logic" does not mea that I was the one misrepresenting things. The age thing, you* brought it up and as I posted above you would have probably been the one frothing at the mouth about Chelsea in people mag.

This is a misreprenseting statment:

"Of course you don't, but I'm a moderate, not a liberal, ..."

You are as liberal as it gets. Calling yourself a "moderate" does not make you one any more than calling yourself chocolate make you sweet.

And as usual Jonas goes into full "personal attack" mode when he is bested by a better mind. You see my response talk about the topic, until Jonas states that I misrepresented.

Here is a hint Jonas, Just because you have an opinion does not make it fact of true.

And yes you are a "liberal".

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

"One of the truely sad parts about this idiot is that until she goes away for good, there is no chance that the republican party can attract smart people and become a party of ideas again. "

Why do you care? If you oppose everything Palin, Cheney et al believe in, why would you not want them at the top if they are so stupid and ignorant in your view?

I would keep them there.

Like Pelosi, I wanted her removed from the Speaker position for the CIA thing, but upon reflection NO, leave her right there.

A bad person from the opposition in leadership is better because she is open to more scrutiny and we are able to better show what a putz she really is.

The Dems did it with George Bush, I like Pelosi in her place, where all her screwups are in plain sight. How about that closing of Gitmo? That isn't going to happen. The US Citizens don't want them, the Congressmen don't want to bring them here, and the rest of the world does not want them?

So they are stuck in Gitmo. Why build another "Gitmo" in Palua and screw that up. Leave them where they are.

President Obama lost this one, and has to renig on yet another promise made by lack of experience and understanding of the complexities of the Terrorists.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

"Spike Lee should apologise to the memory of Charlton Hesston for saying that Hesston should have been shot with a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog."

Yeah, and if anyone "joked" about doing the same to Spike Lee it would be considered a "hate crime".

But not for Older White Conservative Men (and women).

It is OK to hate them, because of all the pain they have caused in the world.

The Whites are the source of all the problems in the World and much of it in the United States.

jonas_opines 5 years, 9 months ago

Show the personal attack, Asbestos, or STFU. Watching you founder while thinking that you float is amusing, but your claims are becoming too thin to even see properly. Virtually all of your criticisms of my posts so far are simply things that you have done, not me, and the fact that you can't apparently see that speaks volumes.

You have misrepresented by suggesting that I in any way give a pass or a particular condemnation towards treatment of the family of presidents, when all I did was state that minors and majors are not looked at the same in our society.

You have responded to most of my points with a simple "that's not true, uhh uh" as you suggested wrongly that I have done.

If I committed a personal attack by suggesting that I find you both biased and uninformed, then your hypocricy is overwhelming, as I simply used your own words.

If you find me a liberal, that is because when I talk to you I am generally countering your absurd ultra-conservative perspective on reality. The rest of your description of me and what I do or think is simply the same as your above "I think it will be this way." Just because you think it does not make it particularly true. It very well may be the opposite.

Anyway, my son will be here shortly for the day, so since the only thing impossible in this dialog is for you to change your mind or think past what you think you already know, I'm jettisoning it. Have a good afternoon.

sfjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

The reason I dont want her and her ilk around is because I believe the best thing for everyone is to have both parties fairly equal. I dont think it is good for one party to have a monopoly on grey matter. We need a debate that consists of both sides bringing well thought out and intelligent solutions to the table. Not what we have - one party bringing ideas, and the other bringing 'no'. Until Palin and crew are cast aside, the repubcans will continue to attract a very narrow group - mostly what people call the 'base' or those that are obsessed with the culture wars and not solutions. That 'base' will forever alienate the independents/center and simply cant win anything close to a majority (thank god).

BrianR 5 years, 9 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says… "I want Louis Farrakhan to apologise to white people everywhere for calling them “blue-eyed white devils”."

But you are a blue-eyed white devil, you devil. My eyes are green so he's going to have to come back and attempt to taunt me a second time.

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno." -- Sen. John McCain, speaking to a Republican dinner, June 1998.

The false sense of outrage among the right is amazing. What a hoot!

I'm not a fan of David Letterman, have never thought him that funny, but I'm not offended by his humor. I'm more offended by Gov. Palin's attempts at using the English language. I mean, did you read that quote: “I would like to see him apologize to young women across the country for contributing to kind of that thread that is throughout our culture that makes it sound like it is OK to talk about young girls in that way, where it’s kind of OK, accepted and funny to talk about statutory rape,” she said.

Nice sentence there governor. "... for contributing to kind of that thread that is throughout our culture that makes it sound like it is OK ..." Oh, my. The University of Idaho must be very proud knowing that she got her degree in communications (!) from their fine institution.

Now, to the story, just imagine, a joke about a Palin girl getting knocked up. What a stretch. I'm just soooo offended, because, you know, it happened to have been the wrong daughter. How shameful! What next, jokes about Wasilla being the crack capital of Alaska? Of Palin's daughter's baby daddy having a mommy who got busted for selling drugs (not to Rush Limbaugh, by the way), which means Palin herself "pals around" with drug dealers? Oh, sooooo out of line with such humor.

Marion, do you expect anyone around here to defend the stupid things Farrakhan has to say? Everyone except his religious followers discounts what he has to say.

However, for all White men who have put down and held him back in our society for so long because of the color of their skin, let me say, I am soooo sorry. Maybe someday you will be able to rise up and fight the system that keeps the White man oppressed.

Well, maybe not you personally, but some other intelligent and well educated White man. Just you wait and see.

Newell_Post 5 years, 9 months ago

Sarah Palin owes women an apology for making women in politics looks like ignorant shrews.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

"Asbestos, palin is stupid and ingorant in just about everyones view. Just look at the interviews she does, she couldnt be more of a joke. Everytime she opens her mouth the republicans should cringe."

Again, If you are a Democrat or a liberal this is golden. You want to keep as stupid as you claim to show their fiobles. Stupidity is the new mud. Why would you want her off the stage...

unless of course you are afraid of her and know your opinin is biased and incorrect.

Now on to BEA.

"“Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno.” — Sen. John McCain, speaking to a Republican dinner, June 1998.

The false sense of outrage among the right is amazing. What a hoot!"

McCain caught holy hell for that stupidity, and it was well deserved. But we are not talking something like that. it was about a minor girl in a joke about sexual situations.

Would somebody be as outraged if President Obama took his daughter to a Yankees game and ole Dave stated the following:

"The President's daughter got “knocked up” by New York Yankee third baseman Alex Rodriguez in the seventh inning."

Selective outrage? NAW!

How about the bias, and we are all thinking it, :The media and leftiy entertainers would never do that to Obama".

And we would all be right.

Double Standard? Yes, for all to see.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 9 months ago

This fiasco only further reinforces my opinion of Sarah Palin. Go Dave.

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm sorry Asbestos, but are you saying that Palin didn't have an underage daughter who got knocked up outside of marriage? Is that why the joke is in such poor taste, because this didn't actually happen to Palin's 17 year old daughter even though Gov. Palin wants abstinence only sexual education taught in schools? Is this why the joke isn't funny, or was it not funny because the wrong daughter visited New York? Would it have been funny and okay had it actually been Bristol with the Governor? I mean, Bristol is now putting herself in the public eye giving interviews about the importance of abstinence, which kind of makes her fair game for jokes, doesn't it?

Yep, Dave was way off base with that joke.

And that "hell" that McCain took for telling a joke about Chelsea Clinton, the daughter of what was basically a co-worker -- gosh, that really haunted him, didn't it. Must have been why he lost the bid for the White House. Republicans still upset over that joke must not have voted for him because of it.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

Bea, your response is what gives "feminism" a bad name.

You are another in the long line of hypocritical lefties blowing on the internet.

sfjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Nancy, my problem with palin is that she is considered a leader in the republican party, and until that ends, that party will offer no resistance to the democrats. I believe that is a bad thing.

Oh, and the more you and your friends in the 'base' come to her defense claiming that she is not an idiot, the dumber you look. Have you ever listened to her? She is a total joke, so much so that saturday night live resurrected itself soley on palin material. If she is your leader, then the republican party will be no one but you and the wasilla hillbillies.

We need the republican party to cast out the idiots and 'culture warriors' and rally around people with intelligence and ideas that can contribute to the national/global debate.

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

Asbestos, please explain how what I wrote is hypocritical. Did Sarah Palin's 17 year old become pregnant out of wedlock or did she not? Has she since gone on television to promote abstinence or has she not? This history is what the joke was based on, only Letterman didn't realize it was the wrong daughter. oops. He should apologize, but it certainly doesn't rise to the level of being an affront to all women, as governor Palin suggests.

However, how does my criticizing McCain make me a hypocrit? How does Letterman's joke relate to what McCain said about Chelsea Clinton's looks, since Chelsea obviously did nothing to provoke such an attack and McCain didn't make a mistake? McCain didn't make a joke without realizing it was the wrong daughter. He knew exactly the teenager he was putting down. Sorry, but the two subjects of the jokes and the meanings behind them are miles apart. Surely even you can see that, but do let me know if this is what you see as my being a hypocrit.

And asbe, while you are at it, if you think I give "feminism" a bad name, please explain to me what you think gives "feminism" a good name. I'm sure you are a big supporter of feminism, feminist thought and feminist theory, so much so that you can distinguish between "good" and "bad" feminism, so explaining this should be easy for you.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

" .. only Letterman didn't realize it was the wrong daughter."

Oh, so the fact it was a 14 year old slammed was "by accident" so it is OK?

No, it does not wash, these writers and media typse are big boys and should check their work before opening their collective mouths.

Sorry Bea.

Stop posting, I have never been convinced by one of your posts, that is probably not going to change any time soon either.

You are wrong.

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 9 months ago

Just out of curiosity, why should a particular class of people come to the defense of those who have so clearly rejected and vilified them? They may be women but they have made it very clear they want no part of liberal feminism. This includes being defended by the very group they have rejected. Is this a double standard on the part of feminists? Not in the least. They are simply honoring the wishes of those people that have rejected their philosophy.

BrianR 5 years, 9 months ago

Marion writes: "Well, yeah but he wasn't “nice” about it."

Yeah, I probably am nicer than Louie.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

Geez cait48, that is one big rationalization. I would have thought that ALL of feminism and feminists would oppose rape and sexual assualt and violence of all women regardless of political, economic, racial stripe they come from. Is "feminism" in this modern world about "women" or political alignment.

Here is a discussion in case you biased koiolaid drinkers missed the point:

and several articles for those of you who choose to ignore and not read

Just out of curiosity, why would bad behavior on the part of some exclude them from cinsideration for basic safety?

Glad you are not in charge.

BrianR 5 years, 9 months ago

All these heads exploding, tis a pity. Letterman told a joke that his paltry 1,100 remaining viewers saw. Of the 1,100, let's say 3/4 of them understood it. Palin's camp gets their panties in a wad now EVERYONE knows about the joke. WTF?

I really tried to think of something that matters less to me that Letterman's humor or Palin's feelings and can't for the life of me think of anything.

Holy crap this makes Americans look idiotic and petty.

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

Asbestos, I pointed out that Letterman should apologize. Did you not catch that?

Just so you know, I really and truly don't care if I ever convince you of anything, just as I know I can't convince a rock of anything. However, I still would love to know what you think is an example of good "feminism." That should be worth a laugh.

And how upset were you with McCain when he said his joke? Just asking since this has you in such a tizzy.

feeble 5 years, 9 months ago

ASBESTOS (Anonymous) says…

Interesting aside, since you bring up rape in a thread about Palin: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/21/palin.rape.exams/

"ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's hometown required women to pay for their own rape examinations while she was mayor, a practice her police chief fought to keep as late as 2000. A former Alaskan lawmaker says it seems unlikely that Gov. Sarah Palin was unaware of Wasilla's policy.

Former state Rep. Eric Croft, a Democrat, sponsored a state law requiring cities to provide the examinations free of charge to victims. He said the only ongoing resistance he met was from Wasilla, where Palin was mayor from 1996 to 2002"

Clearly, Palin cares about women.

2002 5 years, 9 months ago

Sarah Palin IS NOT the leader of the Republican party. There are alot of os down the middle people that are put off by her shallow garbage. However, the reality is that she doesn't and hasn't gotten fair and equal treatment.

Geez, what is the problem with you whacko lefties? This is the reason we're in such a jam-you're in lock step with anyone that isn't right. That's how you can still be silent about the troops in the middle east, Guantanimo, a stimulus that is little more than political payoffs to special interests. You lefties were right in many of your complaints about Bush, stop supporting the destructuve and dishonest policies of Obama. Do that and I'll be critical of Palin with you.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

You need to stop reading the DailyKos and MediaMatters.

That story has been debunked because it was massively taken out of context:

"They do not mention that Fannon said he did not want to charge the victim, and wanted to charge the perpetrator the costs of the tests. (This may be a flawed position for several reasons, among them who pays if the perpetrator is never caught, and whether the question of who will pay prevents the rape kit testing from being done in the first place. But it is generated from the entirely reasonable position of wanting the guilty to cover the costs of bringing them to justice.) It would be interesting if the Globe's omission in describing Fannon's position, and the insinuation that he wished to charge victims, rises to the level of libel."

So you want to stand behind that misrepresnetation?

How about another source?

This is what we mean when we say the media is corrupt.

People are watching the media and even Bill Mahr gets it:

del888 5 years, 9 months ago

"I would like to see him apologize to young women across the country for contributing to kind of that thread that is throughout our culture that makes it sound like it is OK to talk about young girls in that way, where it’s kind of OK, accepted and funny to talk about statutory rape,” she said."

Palin is a master of the English language. This is a 54 word sentence with the word "that" used 4 times. Don't they teach English classes in Alaska?

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 9 months ago

Letterman = LiberalDNC apologist veiled in comedy

Calliope877 5 years, 9 months ago

ASBESTOS (Anonymous) says…

Sorry Bea.

You are wrong.

Translation: Sorry I have the maturity of a 3rd grader. I don't want you to post anymore because you make me feel dumb. You are a poopie head.

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

Poor, poor, put-upon Marion. A White guy just can't get a break in this country.

Marion, knowing what little I know of you, I don't blame you for trying to find someone else to pin your personal failings on.

jaywalker 5 years, 9 months ago

"I think Palin and her daughter owe girls and women multiple apologies all over the country for the bad public role model they have both created."

Absolutely! Young girls who take responsiblity for their mistake and then try to help others not go down that same path are horrible!!! And an incredibly successful woman who's done nothing but rise higher and higher professionally, has the best approval rating of any Governor in the union, and raised a family of 5 while remaining married for more than 20 years...........despicable!

mom_of_three 5 years, 9 months ago

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Welllllllllll, as long as we're all apologizing to women, Ronda... sweetness...

"... oh, bigmouth, ha ha ... bigmouth, la bigmouth strikes again I've got no right to take my place in the human race...."

sfjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Nancy, are you saying that palin has been asked tough interview questions? Like the 'what do you read?" question? Yeah that was a tough one! Please look (you can see them on youtube) at all of the palin interviews - after you do Im sure you will agree that she is a total idiot.

What I want is a republican leadership that is smart, and brings ideas to the table. People who do not focus on the culture issues, and get busy contributing to figuring out the solutions we so desperatly need. They have to be more than just the party of 'no'. Until the change in leadership happens, the democrats will have full control, and we will all suffer for it. We need more balance than we have had for the past decade.

RoeDapple 5 years, 9 months ago

beatrice (Anonymous) says…

Why the capital W, bea? and the generalization? profiling? stereotyping? I have no idea what race/color/religion/sexual preference/gender(could beatrice be a surname?)/whatever you are, why do you counter what you perceive as racial posts with more racial posts? Pouring gasoline on a fire has the poorest record of extinguishing fire as anything I can think of. Marion is what he is, and seems comfortable with it. He also has a talent for bringing out what the posters who don't like it really are. Careful when you start frothing and spinning, you could hurt your self............

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

( hmm.... so when did nancy become hall monitor? )

On with the concert!

"... How can you say I go about things the wrong way....?"

Christine Anderson 5 years, 9 months ago

Oh good grief! How on earth did this become a debate on racism? It's about the fact that Letterman made a very crude, tasteless joke about a child. I find it equally unacceptable for people to make unkind remarks about anyone's children, whether it's Chelsea Clinton, the Obama girls, or the younger Palin daughter.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

I thought it was the Smiths' Interactive Song Game.

"That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore"

E

labmonkey 5 years, 9 months ago

Conservatives-

Quit defending Palin. Any good Republican would want her to just go away. It is the Palins who have Bristol in People along with other publications. It was Sarah Palin who should have seen what would happen when she became McCain's running mate (uh...I preach abstinence only education, but my daughter is knocked up). She needs to go back to Alaska and stay. The more she stays in the limelight, the more chance she has of running for president, which I know will be a Republican disaster. Republicans need to push her, Limbaugh, and Gingrich back into a corner and start getting behind Jindal or Romney.

labmonkey 5 years, 9 months ago

Tom-

It is the Palins who agree to keep in the limelight. Why have People do an article on Bristol? They invite the scrutiny on themselves. They make themselves out to be a target. If I am deer hunting and a large buck stupidly walks up beneath me, I am going to shoot it.

As someone who mostly votes Republican, I want her to just go away.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

GEEZ! view, maybe you could consult a playlist?

Y

"You've Got Everything Now"

W

sfjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Nancy, Im afraid you are incorrect on several of your assumptions. The reason that palin will not appear on TV or do interviews is because she is a total idiot, and everytime she opens her mouth she embarasses herself. I beg you to review the interviews that exist -available on youtube- so you can see for youself. Think about it, Oprah might ask her what she reads, or what her views are on foreign policy, or what she had for dinner - she would be hard pressed to answer any of those questions without making a total fool of herself.
And no one fears palin, except for the republican party - why? because she has become such an albatross - they just can get rid of her.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes, I support and ask the same question:

If you guys are so sure that Sarah Palin is so stupid and ignorand and bad for the Republican Party (which I do not believe any of you Palin bashers are anywhere concerned about the GOP)....

Why are you loons so obsessed about Sarah Palin?

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

Methinks that the Dems and the Liberals are so used to character attack, smearing, and degrading all things conservative that they do not even recognise they are even doing it anymore.

Like the press, even liberals are a little sick of the "hands off Obama" the entirety of the news media has.

Either you fear her, or you simply have no other way of debating a different position on governing such as personable responsibility and conservative.

For being the "oepn minded" bunch and "intellectual" and "morally high ground" you loons seem to have run off the tracks on this little lady.

Why don't you just lay off, she is not even doing anything with policy.

I guess Dick Cheney is just too tough for the liberals they have to beat up on a lady.

viewfromahill 5 years, 9 months ago

W

"What Difference Does It Make?"

E

"... the devil will find work for idle hands to do...."

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

RoeD, just basing what I said about on years of reading his posts.

Tom, I know you are trying to ask a serious question, and even though you think of me as a "leftie loon" I'll attempt to answer as I see it. I'm not trying to be flip.

The reason we are "obsessed" with Sarah Palin is because we truly can't fathom how conservatives can think her interesting or intelligent enough to have accepted her as a possible Vice President.

How conservatives could have accepted someone who seemed to be an intellectual inferior to even George Bush is beyond us. Not saying she is dumb, just that she doesn't shine intellectually, and after Bush, the country craved intelligence. She also lacks any experience of true weight. (Remember, I'm not talking about Obama here, just Palin. That can come another time.) Yes, she oversees a huge state, but one with the population of just a medium sized city. Before that, mayor of a city that could only fill half of Allen Field House, yet is the crack capital of Alaska. Her wink is annoying to the point of reminding us of Kathey Lee Gifford, and her attacks against those who live in cities as not being part of "real America" was scary coming from someone running for national office. It was also disengenuous given her clothing purchases in those same cities. Then, her reaching to the lowest part of the Republican base by claiming that Obama "palled around with terrorists" was remarkably low and just plain stupid. (It is more accurate to say that she "pals around with drug dealers" because of Levi's mother getting arrested, and you see how poorly that connection sticks). Then, when you add her religious beliefs that drive her wanting to teach abstinence only sex ed in schools despite such failings in her own home, we just have to throw our heads back and laugh! There is more, but I think you get the point.

Basically, everything about her seems fake, contrived, or just plain annoying.

Plus, she is still in office and there is unrealistic talk about her running in 2012, even though her husband hates the country so much he was part of a successionist party. She won't go away, so we keep poking at her for the fun of it.

So you might appreciate where liberals are are coming from, imagine if John Edwards was still in public office and still attempting to grab media attention by asking a late night comedian to apologize for an off-color joke. How well do you think that would go over with conservatives?

Hope that helped.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

"The reason we are “obsessed” with Sarah Palin is because we truly can't fathom how conservatives can think her interesting or intelligent enough to have accepted her as a possible Vice President."

It was a political "hail Mary" pass from the old guard GOP to help out the perception of a 'doddering old man" at the head of the ticket.

The GOP base is not and has not been enthused about their candidates.

Palin is the best we got. (I am not saying that is a good thing, BTW.)

And that makes her your target.

I don't mind "policy" slams and bashes, but guys recognize all the petty perasonal attacks that have come her way.

If you guys would just lay off the personal attacks there would be no defense, if she is as you say stupid, not on her toes, and not a good role model.

But attack her daughters?

Isn't the Democratic Party supposed to be bigger than that?

Isn't that in your opinin what the GOP has done all these years?

Where is the "higher level" you liberals are supposed to be operating at>

It all looks like good ole fashioned mudslinging from here.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

"Yes, she oversees a huge state, but one with the population of just a medium sized city. "

Kind of like a Kansas Governor?

Polly_Gomer 5 years, 9 months ago

Please give me an answer!

Why Are You Loons Obsessed With Sarah Palin ? ? ? ?

Please before ni-night time, answer me, pretty please???

Take your meds, wacko.

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

"Kind of like a Kansas Governor?"

No, more like the mayor of Memphis after a year and a half.

Asbestos, you are right that the jokes about Palin's daughter are low. Not denying that. And if Bristol hadn't gone on her "listen to me about abstinence" tour, she should be off limits. Letterman did apologize when he learned that it was the wrong daughter traveling with the governor.

The joke still doesn't come close to being as low as McCain's joke about Chelsea Clinton's looks. That was beyond mudslinging. That was just ugly and it said a great deal about that man's true character, in my opinion. He is a true military hero for which his nation is grateful for his sacrifice, but that doesn't mean the man is great in all aspects of his life.

staff04 5 years, 9 months ago

If Tom/Asbestos/Arumer/Marion is in a room ranting and there is no one there to hear them, is there anyone in the room?

grammaddy 5 years, 9 months ago

Not any more. I turned off the lights and closed that door about an hour ago. They were all still in there arguing with each other over why Palin is being sooo mistreated.The more we "liberal loons" tried to explain it, the louder they cried..Why??!!

sandersen 5 years, 9 months ago

polly wants a crack-er-

"Why Are You Loons Obsessed With Sarah Palin ? ? ? ?

Please before ni-night time, answer me, pretty please???

Take your meds, wacko"

We are not quite sure why you loons are obsessed with Palin. Considering the utter lack of leadership capabilities, high-fructose hypocrisy, difficulties with the simplest of concepts within the English language, propensity towards radical separatist propaganda and "do as i say and not as I do" mentality (lavish expenditures- personal and otherwise, potentially illegal/questionable hiring/firing/business/governmental conduct, exploiting her children so long as it keeps her in the limelight, etc.), it would seem you could have found a new crush by now.

Let us all know when your next big thing hits. The rest of us will be busy wondering why a half-wit with a less-than-stellar track record and not-so-squeaky-clean image, ever busy self-righteously alienating the majority of Americans can attempt to pass herself off as the way, the truth and the light. She absolutely adores the limelight, and glories in a self-inflicted position at the pinnacle of the victim triangle, yet hasn't the composure nor dignity necessary to rise above the fray.

Exposing your life to scrutiny comes with serious consequences. A leader must have the substance and fortitude to take the good with the bad. A late night joke gone awry is so low in the spectrum of challenges and difficulties in the life of a world leader, her ineptitude and lack of grace under pressure in this scenario certainly relegates her already to the hall of has-beens and want-to-be players on the world stage. We could never, as a country, count on her capacity to truly lead and manage the subtleties of such enormous responsibilities.

I suggest you try Xanax. It will help until someone with a stronger persona and better character comes to the front as a more qualified standard-bearer.

sandersen 5 years, 9 months ago

Polly-

Sorry. Got so immersed in the topic, I missed your true intent. So I apologize for the swipe at your id ( a rather obvious slam on the "crack capital of Alaska's mayor).

Just so nauseated by the massive, purposely generated "Palin-victim" coverage, I was not paying enough attention to the inflection of your post.

The rest of my post stands as stated....

jaywalker 5 years, 9 months ago

"Nancy, Im afraid you are incorrect on several of your assumptions. The reason that palin will not appear on TV or do interviews is because she is a total idiot,"

Hic.

Katara 5 years, 9 months ago

mom_of_three (Anonymous) says…

I think Palin should let it go. She should have never commented, and should have taken the high road. Letterman gave an explanation and apologized for his joke. As a mother of a teenage daughter, I realize it was a joke. It wasn't funny and he admitted it, and it's over. Palin should get smart and stop talking. By requesting people boycott letterman, she is just trying to show that she has some sort of power left in the lower 48. But she doesn't. She should just stop talking and let it go. She had the chance to be the bigger person, and she didn't take it. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I completely agree with this.

Letterman used to be funny long ago but I don't find him that funny anymore. The jokes are tired and old. I do think he honestly did not realize which daughter was with Palin at the time and he apologized for that.

Palin is making something more out of this than what it is and IMHO it is only for the publicity she gets for it. I think it is backfiring and she needs to wise up and let it drop. Demanding he apologize to all women for his joke is too much. She did not represent all women when she was running so why does she feel that she has the right to demand an apology on behalf of all women?

Her family issues were private until she started trotting out the kids for the publicity. I don't buy that a concerned parent would do that. I don't buy that a concerned soon-to-be grandparent at the time would put her pregnant child through the added stress being in the spotlight would bring. I thought she was putting her needs before her daughter's and that is just not right. A teen pregnancy is already risky and stressful enough. It is a good thing Bristol was able to sustain a pregnancy without complications and give birth to a healthy child despite the critical public eye on her.

Jaminrawk 5 years, 9 months ago

It's funny that the same uber conservatives that love people like Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter are going to call foul on a comedian.

Palin is only keeping her kids in the spotlight by going on TV to speak about this. I don't even watch Letterman and would've probably not know about this had the attention-starved Palin not decided to make it a national story. Go back to pardoning turkeys Mrs. Palin.

purplesage 5 years, 9 months ago

This is really pretty unbelievalbe - approaching 150 comments now. If this sort of comment had been made about one of the Obama girls (not the campaign kind) - or in some respect about some homosexual celebrity (like Ellen or Barney) the screaming of foul would be heard light years away.

This was a highly inappropriate "joke" (read personal insult). Even by late night standards, even by David Letterman's incredibly low standards of disparaging anyone with conservative views, this was scandalous.

Aside from the fact that a conservative would never get a job with CBS, a conservative with similar lack of basic manners and decency would have been taken off the air. He crossed the line.

lctchr1 5 years, 9 months ago

Tom, Beatrice answered it for you in the 8:36 p.m. post. I agree with Beatrice. I simply cannot fathom how she got the nod for VP last year. Is our explanation too simplistic for you?

tunahelper 5 years, 9 months ago

just have letterman make jokes about michelle omaba and her daughters.

hypocritical leftists.

viewfromahill 5 years, 9 months ago

E... F... G... H

"Hand That Rocks The Cradle, The"

"... my life down I shall lie if the bogey-man should try to play tricks on your sacred mind to tease, torment, and tantalise...."

E

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

Tom, it isn't that us liberals are refusing to answer your question, it is that you are refusing to see that we have indeed provided reasons why we are supposedly "fascinated" with Palin.

Now if you would, please tell me why are conservatives fascinated with PETA? Take some time to explain your reason, give it some thought and detail, don't just be flip in your response, so I can then ignore what you wrote and repeat the question as if you had never responded. Thanks, bea

Jaylee 5 years, 9 months ago

That sucks. They still let Sarah Palin out in public?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 9 months ago

It is wrong to insult anyone regardless of age or gender or social position. You should never try to be funny at the expense of someone's emotions. No one is fair game.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

You know why Dave can get away with this stuff... it's because he's such a...

"Handsome Devil"

L

sfjayhawk 5 years, 9 months ago

Nancy,

I think the GOP is counting their lucky stars that Palin avoids interviews. Everytime she opens her mouth she reinforces the truth that she is a complete idiot. Even Oprah might ask her a question that is out of her league, for instance:

Oprah "Gov Palin, what did you have for dinner? Palin "I can see Russia from my house (creepy wink)"

pace 5 years, 9 months ago

Quit looking in bars for women and you might have better luck. In a poll of four homes the most dependable and most valuable best friend was Mom.
A poll of 7 moms revealed that 6 out of 7 MOms weren't getting enough belly rubs.

viewfromahill 5 years, 9 months ago

Letterman a "handsome deviL (... M)?"

That's a "miserable lie."

"... I'm just a country-mile behind the whole world...."

E

pace 5 years, 9 months ago

The moms of the world are grateful for m's attitude. If it keeps the bad ones out of their hair it is a good thing. Good women should not take the time to potty train grown men. I happen to like kids, they are usually interesting. Palin is not someone that has earned my admiration. I have met many mothers, women, girls, sisters that have earned my admiration. It is my prejudice that I do prefer people with a sense of humor and a sense of self. marion's hatred of women and bizarre fear of children seems to suggest his mom didn't do her job.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 9 months ago

"If she hasn't learned what a Vice-President does by now, she's too stupid to learn."

I've been watching Joe Biden since the inauguration and for the life of me, I can't figure out what he's supposed to be doing. just making public appearances and opening his mouth when he shouldn't i guess. I'm sure Governor Palin could have done that. and the "too stupid to learn" thing is getting old. She's an intelligent person, that just happens to have a different set of values and beliefs than you do.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 9 months ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says…

Think Palin owes us all an apology for her mere existence, not counting all the “exposure” we are subjected to. Why can't she just shut up and go away, she's already screwed up her 15 minutes of fame.

you really seem upset that she's out there. That seems to say that she's some sort of threat to you, or your party. if she's so irrelevant, there wouldn't be this constant hounding of her persona.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 9 months ago

Newell_Post (Anonymous) says…

I'd put Sarah Palin up against your ignorant shrew Pelosi any day. and I bet Palin wouldn't line her own pockets on the way.

sandersen 5 years, 9 months ago

We aren't upset she's out there. Just bored with her attempts to make herself relevant. Values/intelligence are not synonymous. Both, in her case, are questionable, based on her track record...

And as I stated previously, a person in the public eye must have the personal composure to rise above the fray....

I must agree, however, that many Americans I know do not share her values. No one I personally know is married to someone who wants their state to secede from the union. No one I personally know preaches the success of abstinence-only sex-ed, while having a young daughter who is a teen parent while still in high school. No one I personally know trots their children out through every known media outlet on the planet, then cries "bad media" when an off-color comment about the exact scenarios described above. No one I personally know works this hard to perpetrate a plethora of media hits with their name in it bleats like a lamb if the coverage isn't pretty...

sandersen 5 years, 9 months ago

Needed to edit...."then cries “bad media” when an off-color comment occurs about the exact scenarios described above"....

Sorry!

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

marion, good idea. Stick with the company of dogs. The women in your area will be grateful.

Tom: "Palin just simply does not give a flying fig if she's in the public eye or not. Why does the left think otherwise?"

Um, because most recently she went on NBC's Today Show to ask David Letterman for an apology. If that isn't putting yourself in the public eye, then what is it?

While she might not want to go on Oprah she is still a politician, and politicians want publicity. She also knows that Oprah is a BIG supporter of Obama who might just ask the really, really tough, Katie Couric type of questions. If she gets egg on her face on Oprah, knowing what a large audience Oprah gets, Palin just might never recover.

However, politicians want publicity and can be selective on the type of publicity they seek. In this instance, she just chose to take the victim route as a means to stir up her base supporters about how terrible liberals are treating the poor little hockey mom governor. (It worked for you!)

Knowing that she will never get broad public support for a Presidential run (big joke there), I suspect she is doing nothing but positioning herself to keep her coffers fat with contributions despite never having a chance in hell of winning major office outside of Alaska. She could be sitting pretty on a pile of contribution money just by being a Pat Buchanan type of candidate, and I'm sure she is bright enough to know this.

And the PETA line wasn't serious. It was a throw-away topic, just to point out that you weren't actually acknowledging the answers people provided to your repeated question about Palin.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

E... F... G... H...

"Hand In Glove"

"... the sun shines out of our behinds...."

E

viewfromahill 5 years, 9 months ago

E… F… G… H… I

"I Know It's Over"

"Oh, Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head...."

R

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

I once saw The Smiths open for REM, so I'll play.

N

"Nowhere Fast"

T

MyName 5 years, 9 months ago

Marion:

"I want an apology from Chris Rock for calling white people 'crackers'"

No kidding! Everyone knows the politically correct term is honkeys!

N

"Never Had No one Ever"

(Has this been played? Not many "N" songs I can think of. Where is Ronda when you need her?

R

viewfromahill 5 years, 9 months ago

S

Ronda? She's...

"Still Ill"

"... Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body? I don't know...."

L

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Uh... looks like I'm doin' Ronda's grunt work, these days...

Barbarism Begins At Home Bigmouth Strikes Again Frankly, Mr. Shankly Girlfriend in a Coma Hand In Glove Hand That Rocks The Cradle, The Handsome Devil Headmaster Ritual, The How Soon Is Now I Know It's Over Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me Miserable Lie Never Had No one Ever Nowhere Fast Reel Around The Fountain Rusholme Ruffians Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others Still Ill That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore There is a Light that Never Goes Out This Charming Man What Difference Does It Make You've Got Everything Now

Umm...

L

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

R

Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours

"There's too much caffeine in your bloodstream And a lack of real spice in your life"

S

bangaranggerg 5 years, 9 months ago

I've heard far more hilarious and inappropriate jokes about Sarah Palin. Have you heard the one that's- "What's the difference between Sarah Palin's mouth and her uterus?" It's already so offensive I can't even give the punchline. You could probably find it with a google search.

beatrice 5 years, 9 months ago

porch, it was at the Mesa Amphitheater in Arizona. This was back in the '80s, of course.

At least I think they opened for REM -- I know I saw both and both at the Amphitheater. Was it two concerts that my memory is putting together into one show?

I need more coffee and I'll get back to ya.

CHANDLER007 5 years, 9 months ago

Since Marion and others like to refer to our current president as "Barack Hussein Obama", as if his full name will strike terror in all of our hearts, I would like to say that I find the name beautiful. Get over yourselves. Get a grip. Get a life. Get a clue! In regards to this actual article, my opinion is that Palin needs to move on. It was a joke. Perhaps in bad taste, but still a joke. LET IT GO! Lastly, can we all stop with the name calling and what-not? We all have different opinions, different perceptions, different lives and experiences, etc. Name calling does nothing but illustrate one's own childish ignorance.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 9 months ago

"I've been watching Joe Biden since the inauguration and for the life of me, I can't figure out what he's supposed to be doing."

This question was answered during the John Adams miniseries in a scene in which he sat in the midst of a huge, loud debate between congressmen. He quietly sat in the VP's chair, reading a newspaper.

dandelion 5 years, 9 months ago

So Tom, you seem quite obsessed with Sarah Louise Palin. I hope you aren't stalking her. Oh elite beltway?, and who is jealous of educated, successful people now? You could have chosen to become a lawyer or a politician. Just pick yourself up by your bootstraps and get back to college. It's not too late to improve your life. You are just limiting your life living in rural Linwood, going nowhere. You don't have to be jealous, you are the only one holding you back. Class envy just doesn't become you.

sinverguenza 5 years, 9 months ago

"Gov. Palin announced over the weekend that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant. And you thought John Edwards was in trouble before! Now he has really done it."

-- "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno," 9/2/08

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 9 months ago

i wish letterman would've stood his ground and not formally apologized. i loved his kinda sorta apology-- that was great! i mean, geesh, the man already acknowledged that he wasn't referring to palin's 14 year old daughter. why apologize further?

dandelion 5 years, 9 months ago

Exactly, it's not like her older daughter is known for her virginity and purity. Maybe her younger daughter will be different, but it's obvious the 18 year old puts out. If she didn't want people talking about it, or joking about it, she shouldn't have paraded her out in front of everyone. Geesh.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 9 months ago

There are 218 comments on this subject and counting so I would say people in Lawrence are interested in either Sarah Palin or possible in Letterman. I don't appreciate sex jokes and I can well imagine the fury of a mother hearing others laughing about the daughter, no matter what the age, in this fashion. As to liberals, there is no one liberal mindset. dandelion, you are a fool. This is a young woman who had sex with someone with whom she was in a relationship. She is not promiscuous as your statement suggests. Sarah Palin did not parade her daughter in front of everyone. She introduced her as she should have during her campaign. That is better than being ashamed and trying to hide her. You stand by your children in bad times as well as good. That is her grandchild.

sandersen 5 years, 9 months ago

She is, like, ya know, a really great kind of speaker. She just, like, makes people really kinda think about seeing Russia from their porch, and like, kickin back with all the great Americans and sled dogs there, who, well, sorta don't really know if they might not just be better off in the United State of Alaska... And she is real purty, too... That specially-awesome,so 2008, super-great make-over and shopping spree during the campaign made her, you know, an even better person to lead something or another sometime, maybe... And she is so, you know, real and stuff... Bet she has some neat stuff to help us be a better bunch of really kinda rural-ish folks, you know when she runs Congress or something someday...

Katara 5 years, 9 months ago

sinverguenza (Anonymous) says…

“Gov. Palin announced over the weekend that her 17-year-old unmarried daughter is five months pregnant. And you thought John Edwards was in trouble before! Now he has really done it.”

— “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno,” 9/2/08 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I wonder where Palin's outrage was then?

TobiasFunke 5 years, 9 months ago

Mr_Nancy_Boy_To_You (Tom Shewmon) says…

blah blah "an electrifying speaker" blah blah

Now THAT is rich.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 9 months ago

Ok Children this is officially over.

Even The National Organization for Women (far far from a conservative group) has stated the Dave is wrong and the apology is weak.

So if you liberals are going to keep your p[anties in a bunch at least get on the same page.

NOW has put Dave on the was of shame and is asking for his termination.

Even the lefty NOW can't go along with the continued smearing of Palin, she does after all share the same type of "plumbing" and xX genes.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 9 months ago

Barbarism Begins At Home Bigmouth Strikes Again Frankly, Mr. Shankly Girlfriend in a Coma Hand In Glove Hand That Rocks The Cradle, The Handsome Devil Headmaster Ritual, The How Soon Is Now I Don't Owe You Anything I Know It's Over I Started Something I Couldn't Finish Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me Meat is Murder Miserable Lie Never Had No one Ever Nowhere Fast Reel Around The Fountain Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours Rusholme Ruffians Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others Still Ill Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore There is a Light that Never Goes Out This Charming Man What Difference Does It Make You've Got Everything Now