Archive for Friday, June 12, 2009

Court receives restitution payment in former KU student’s animal cruelty case

June 12, 2009, 11:22 a.m. Updated June 13, 2009, 4:18 a.m.

A former Kansas University international student convicted of two counts of animal cruelty has paid restitution to those who investigated his cases, Douglas County District Court records said.

Cem Basoflas, 21, pleaded guilty in April to severely injuring a cat and torturing and killing a dog. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and is being deported to his home country of Turkey.

A check for $6,217.10 was received by the court on Friday. A court clerk representative said the Lawrence Humane Society and a Lawrence veterinarian would receive their restitution in 21 days, once the check clears.

District Judge Robert Fairchild ordered Basoflas to pay $1,400 to the Humane Society for investigative fees and $3,473 to veterinarian James Kraft for services he performed. The rest of the money is for court costs and fees.

Comments

ylime3499 6 years ago

I am speechless. This scum deserves much MUCH more than he got. The horrible things he did to those animals (not just the dog and cat) should be done to him. GRR this hits a nerve! I'm so grateful though for the Humane Society (they need all the help they can get even if it's under less than great circumstances) and Dr. James Kraft (not Craft!)... I’m so glad he's the Dr. for my animals... I wouldn't trust anyone else!

WHY 6 years ago

Killing dog or cat--Bad Killing cow fish turkey chicken ect. -- Good.
Killing pig-- ok but sometimes God says don't eat it. I think we need to lay out a more logical system of rules for which animals we can kill and which ones are off limits. Mammals bad Fish good. Or furry things bad.
Or cute things bad ugly things good.

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

what Py said!

I am surprised that the "check" even came, I didn't think anything would come back from Turkey. however "when the check clears" is a key phrase in this article.

this abuser got off very easy. I just hope the authorities in Turkey are leaning on him hard. real hard.

WHY 6 years ago

Hey Py I see no mention of sex in the story so either they forgot to mention it or killing animals makes you think of sex. I am not advocating having sex with animals. I just read the stories they write and comment about them. I don't call you stupid or try to hurt your feelings. All I do is comment on stories while I pet my rabbit and love it and hold it and.... O George why is it not moving, George.

smootholive 6 years ago

WHY - This guy has been in the LJWorld news for months. If you search for the older articles, you'll see that he did indeed sexually abuse the animals.

flux 6 years ago

budwhysir 6 years ago

Um? I dont get it, not even going to try

WHY 6 years ago

I never backpedaled. My comment stands as it is written. I don't understand why this is personal for you. Sorry for not remembering ever animal sex story I read (and there are a lot).

compmd 6 years ago

"This scum deserves much MUCH more than he got. The horrible things he did to those animals (not just the dog and cat) should be done to him. GRR this hits a nerve!"

Are you familiar with what exactly he was charged with and what the sentencing guidelines are for the statutes he was convicted of violating? Do you want a longer sentence because you think he should under the law or because his crime hits a nerve?

"I just hope the authorities in Turkey are leaning on him hard. real hard."

Why would they? He committed no crime there.

Its late, and I felt like making people think.