Archive for Monday, July 27, 2009

Palin steps down as governor, vows to fight ‘for what is right’

July 27, 2009

— Sarah Palin stepped down Sunday as Alaska governor to write a book and build a right-of-center coalition, but she left her long-term political plans unclear and refused to address speculation she would seek a 2012 presidential bid.

In a fiery campaign-style speech, Palin said she was stepping down to take her political battles to a larger if unspecified stage and avoid an unproductive, lame duck status.

“With this decision, now, I will be able to fight even harder for you, for what is right, and for truth. And I have never felt that you need a title to do that,” Palin said to raucous applause from about 5,000 people gathered at Pioneer Park in Fairbanks.

Her first order of business as a private citizen is to speak Aug. 8 at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in California. She also wants to campaign for political candidates from coast to coast, and continue to speak her mind on the social networking site Twitter, one of her favorite venues to reach out to supporters.

Free speech was a theme of her farewell speech at a crowded picnic in Fairbanks, as the 45-year-old outgoing governor scolded “some seemingly hell-bent on tearing down our nation” and warned Americans to “be wary of accepting government largess. It doesn’t come free.”

She also took aim at the media, saying her replacement, Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, “has a very nice family too, so leave his kids alone!”

She didn’t elaborate, but Palin said when she announced her resignation July 3 that she was tired of the media focus on her family and felt she had been unfairly treated by reporters and bloggers.

Later Sunday, Palin posted her final message on her official Alaska account on the social networking site Twitter.

“Thank you Alaska!” she wrote. “I love you. God bless Alaska. God bless the U.S.A.”

Friend and foe alike have speculated that Palin may host a radio or TV show, launch a lucrative speaking career or seek higher office in Washington.

Palin hasn’t ruled out any of those options, and her political action committee, SarahPAC, has raised more than $1 million, said Meghan Stapleton, a spokeswoman for the committee and the Palin family.

Stapleton said Palin, of Wasilla, is still deciding what her future will be.

“I cannot express enough there is no plan after July 26. There is absolutely no plan,” she told The Associated Press.

Palin’s surprise announcement she was stepping down 17 months before the end of her first term pushed her favorability rating down to 40 percent, according to a Washington Post-ABC poll. Fifty-three percent of those polled gave her an unfavorable rating.

Last summer, almost six in 10 Americans viewed her favorably. The latest poll was taken July 15-18.

Nearly 20 ethics complaints had been filed against Palin, and the outgoing governor cited the resulting investigation’s financial toll — both on her and the state — for stepping down. An independent investigator looking into the complaints found evidence she may have violated ethics laws by trading on her position as she sought money for lawyer fees, according to a report obtained recently by the AP.

Parnell, 46, of Anchorage, was sworn in Sunday as the state’s new governor.

“I’m firmly convinced that Alaska’s greatest days are ahead,” Parnell said in pledging to continue Palin’s policies, which he said “put Alaska first.”

Palin received a warm welcome Sunday, both during her speech and as she served food at the annual Governor’s Picnic.

Among those present was Donna Michaels, 57, of Fairbanks, who wore a red T-shirt that said: “Palintologist.”

The T-shirt defined a Palintologist as “someone who studies Palin and shares her conservative values, Maverick attitude and American style.”

Comments

Daytrader23 5 years, 8 months ago

She has never completed anything in her life and blames other people (media) for her own failures. She takes responsibility for absolutely nothing. A quitter and loser by definition. Only losers blame other people.

phaederino 5 years, 8 months ago

"She takes responsibility for absolutely nothing. A quitter and loser by definition. Only losers blame other people. "

sinkorswim 5 years, 8 months ago

Ughhh...Here's hoping we won't see her anymore, but I'm afraid that's not the case. On a positive note, the more she's around, that's more material for Tina Fey!

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 8 months ago

She is batshyt crazy and embarassment to the GOP.

phaederino 5 years, 8 months ago

I see from the comments some here saw her speech at the G.O.P. convention.

White-hot fear among the collectivists. Fear of an unemployed mother of five in Alaska. Wonder why?

If she is an embarrassment to the G.O.P. I wonder why the collectivists cannot stop trying to destroy her. I haven't heard of McCain in months. But Palin Palin Palin.

I'm intrigued.

phaederino 5 years, 8 months ago

Hey, look at that ad in the middle of this story. Dolphco is taking money from the "Palin crazies."

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

"Palin hasn’t ruled out any of those options, and her political action committee, SarahPAC, has raised more than $1 million"

fools and their money ...

jimmyjms 5 years, 8 months ago

"It's not like she is presiding over the loss off 2 million jobs and an economy worse than FDR's clusterfark."

Right! I mean, that all started in January of this year right?

Moron.

phaederino 5 years, 8 months ago

"Right! I mean, that all started in January of this year right?"

KansasVoter 5 years, 8 months ago

I sincerely hope that Sarah will become the leader of the republican party.

phaederino 5 years, 8 months ago

"Ughhh…Here's hoping we won't see her anymore,"

"Let's face it, the woman is just plain stupid. "

If your political opponent is stupid, you hope the media covers everything she does, and airs every speech live.

That's why I love to see Biden on the TV.

jimmyjms 5 years, 8 months ago

"“She takes responsibility for absolutely nothing. A quitter and loser by definition. Only losers blame other people. ”

Ah, I see. Although I blamed no one, you're suggesting that I did. But this is just a matter of fact: you're blaming Obama for a recession that began well before he took office.

You realize that the stock market is up 10% since January of this year, right?

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 8 months ago

Being a governor is hard.

Sarah Palin will fight for what is right, which to her apparently means living a life free of actually responsibility and effort.

Easier to traipse around the country making speeches than actually doing the hard, sometimes slogging, work of actual governance.

jimmyjms 5 years, 8 months ago

"White-hot fear among the collectivists."

Yes! White-knuckle fear.

In fact, I'm on my knees praying! Praying that Sarah Palin runs for President in 2012.

headdoctor 5 years, 8 months ago

phaederino (Anonymous) says…

Choke, snort, you said fark.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

What a shame that John McCain tied his legacy to this ex-governor.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years, 8 months ago

I hope that she becomes the party leader. Just the last nail in the coffin that Limbaugh, Palin, and the Religious Rite have fashioned for the party of Lincoln. Gads, how low can you go????

denak 5 years, 8 months ago

While I appreciate her vow to fight "for what is right," I just can't help wondering if she is going to keep her vow towards this fight the same way she kept her vow to the Alaskan people when they voted her in.

Katara 5 years, 8 months ago

"And she told the media: “How about, in honor of the American soldier, you quit makin’ things up?” ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ How about, in honor of the American soldier, you quit trying to use them to promote your agenda?

What on earth does the American soldier have to do with a governor who can't handle the heat of the position? Don't dishonor the solder by even implying that you fight or speak for them. The American soldier finishes his/her job, no matter the cost to his/herself.

Boeing 5 years, 8 months ago

Man I hope she runs (not wins) for the simple fact that she ruffles so many feathers on the left...it's very entertaining!

jonas_opines 5 years, 8 months ago

"the simple fact that she ruffles so many feathers on the left"

Kind of like Dan Quayle did.

/haha! Quayle. . . feathers?! hahahaha

ladeeda

puddleglum 5 years, 8 months ago

gawd I hope she wins the republican ticket for 2012.. I can hear the champagne corks a-poppin' in chicago already.

pace 5 years, 8 months ago

Alaskans blogged that she had ignored important Alaskan issues while she ran around the lower 48. and talked too much about how the lower 48 treated her. They were disappointed in her desertion of her duties but seemed to accept her quitting a job she wasn't able to do anymore.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

I am going to side with Sarah Palin on this. I know exactly how she feels and why. I think that we both have a lot in common as people. I will still vote for Obama the next time around, but after that? I don't think she should be ashamed of her daughter even if she did make a mistake. I hope her daughter finds someone else to be with who becomes a good father to her child and a good marriage for her. People tend to forget that these are real people with real lives and real feelings.

mom_of_three 5 years, 8 months ago

"With this decision, now, I will be able to fight even harder for you, for what is right, and for truth" Problem is, ex-governor Palin, what you think is right is a lot different than what I think is right. But I don't force my beliefs on others as you try to.

Calliope877 5 years, 8 months ago

barrypenders (Anonymous) says…

"Successful women are scary. "

Truly successful women don't quit their jobs no matter how much heat is being thrown their way. They suck it up and roll with the punches.

Sarah Palin is not successful. She's a failure.