Archive for Friday, July 24, 2009

New burst of attention for old doubts about Obama

July 24, 2009

— Six months after Barack Obama’s inauguration, a persistent and noisy legion of doubters won’t let go of an already debunked claim — that he is actually a foreign-born, illegal president.

The issue has flared again on political blogs, TV news shows and even a town hall meeting, widely circulated on YouTube, in which a Republican congressman was booed for saying Obama is a citizen.

Mainstream Republicans who want the issue to go away are having a tough time stamping it out as the so-called “birthers” resurface, with assists from talk show host Rush Limbaugh and CNN’s Lou Dobbs.

Some who had initially dismissed the claim as a laughable political sideshow now wonder whether it’s gotten out of control.

“I’ve stopped laughing,” New York Daily News columnist Errol Louis wrote Thursday. “Too many political and media leaders are deliberately fanning the flames of ignorance and fear, and they should be ashamed.”

Passions among the birthers run so high that Rep. Mike Castle, of Delaware, was booed by his own constituents at a recent town hall meeting for saying Obama “is a citizen of the United States.” He was responding to a woman who waved her own birth certificate, contended Obama was born in Kenya, and shouted out, “I want my country back!”

Theories that Obama was born abroad abounded during the presidential campaign, even after an official Hawaii birth certificate was produced, along with August 1961 birth notices from two Honolulu newspapers. Numerous lawsuits and emergency appeals were lodged challenging Obama’s eligibility to be president, and all were rebuffed.

The Constitution states that a person must be a “natural-born citizen” to be eligible for the presidency. The birthers contend that Obama’s Hawaiian birth certificate is a fake, and many say he was actually born in Kenya, his father’s homeland.

Limbaugh, for example, joked that Obama and God have something in common — the lack of a birth certificate. Dobbs has broached the issue several times, saying at one point, “The questions won’t go away.”

And 10 Republican members of Congress have co-sponsored a bill that would require future presidential candidates to provide a copy of their original birth certificate.

One of those congressmen, John Campbell of California, was pressed by MSNBC’s Chris Matthews as to whether he believed Obama was a U.S. citizen.

“As far as I know,” Campbell replied.

The issue also was raised by CNN’s Larry King this week, in a conversation with Liz Cheney, a former State Department official and daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney.

“I think the Democrats have got more crazies than the Republicans do,” Liz Cheney said. “But setting that aside, one of the reasons you see people so concerned about this ... people are uncomfortable with having for the first time ever, I think, a president who seems so reluctant to defend the nation overseas.”

Even some conservatives say dragging out the controversy only hurts the Republican cause and helps Obama.

“He has a significant number of conservatives wasting enormous amounts of time on a side issue that can never bear any fruit and, as an added bonus, it makes them look somewhat unhinged to many Americans,” wrote conservative blogger John Hawkins on Townhall.com. “When your political enemies are making fools of themselves, why stop them?”

Comments

Dan Eyler 4 years, 8 months ago

Birthers, that is so cute! Cliche's, and more cliche's. Reminds me of all those granola boys and girls I see with a bumper full of stickers about saving everything from the whales, afterbirth and the planet. Thank heaven for Third Planet on Mass. What was the latest window sticker? With Obama before us who be against us.

exhawktown 4 years, 9 months ago

Well Ralph, I will hand it to you, you are one brave soul. Good for you.

Though this ARTICLE is about some who don't believe Obama is a "natural-born citizen", for many of the rest of us, the issue is the president's views. Period.

farfle 4 years, 9 months ago

"New burst of attention..." As if this matter is going to go away. If he is found ineligible, everything he has done or signed will have to be undone.

farfle 4 years, 9 months ago

It is very deceptive to imply that the short form birth certificate is just as good as the long form. It was given for foreign born children. Why doesn't he just release the long form? You can't trust factcheck or snopes. They are just arms of the controlled media. For instance, when Obama said he was born at Queens Hospital snopes very authoritatively reported such. Now that he says he was born at Kapo'alani snopes very authoritatively reports that.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 9 months ago

I said on another thread a while ago that the issue is not the President's birth certificate. The issue is the fact that the "birthers" are worried because President Obama is not free, WHITE, and over 45. They're scared because the President is not a WASP. Period.

I'm me. Who are you behind your hood of anonymity?

exhawktown 4 years, 9 months ago

"Him" being Obama, in this case. :-)

exhawktown 4 years, 9 months ago

Logicsound: So an association with an ivy league institution qualifies a person as intelligent? For some reason, I doubt you apply that "logic" to George Bush.

I do think a person can possess intelligence and still make bad decisions. I can see how some would view him as an imbecile.

phaederino 4 years, 9 months ago

"Why not just produce it and publicize it and end the controversy?"

He's waiting until he can discredit an actually threatening person, Limbaugh or Palin or Liz Cheney or someone.

jaywalker 4 years, 9 months ago

The man is a citizen, for cryin' out loud. Does anyone really believe the Republicans woulda let that slip by if they had a chance to honestly disqualify him?

"I don't understand the birthers. I can kinda understand Holocaust deniers, moon landing deniers, and 9/11 truthers, but this birth certificate......"

How could anyone type the above and believe they were making a sane, rational point? That's good company yer in thar, KV, w/ Iwannajihad and Rosie. Excellent.

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

"Why not just produce it and publicize it and end the controversy?" -- Um ... he has! The link has been posted above, and here it is again -- http://www.factcheck.org/elections-20

"What if he is not native born? Then who becomes President?" -- It wouldn't go to the guy Obama ran against. If an elaborate hoax had somehow been played on the American people and Obama was removed from office, then obviously the Vice President would take his place. If Biden was removed for helping cover the hoax it would then go to the Speaker of the House. So congratulations birthers, you were correct! Please join us for the swearing in of President Pelosi!

oldvet -- I support our President, but that was funny!

oldvet 4 years, 9 months ago

"Limbaugh, for example, joked that Obama and God have something in common — the lack of a birth certificate."

The big difference between God and Obama is that God does not believe that He is Barack Obama...

humblecommentator 4 years, 9 months ago

Why not just produce it and publicize it and end the controversy?

What if he is not native born? Then who becomes President?

Corey Williams 4 years, 9 months ago

Didn't Kris Kobach make that same joke? Who stole it from who?

And Tom, it's not that "a rapid erosion in any faith/trust in Obama that people are looking for someway–anyway to vent their disgust and frustration.", these are the same people who complained about "bds" sufferers for the past eight years. Only now, they have their own particular "bds" that they seem to be suffering from.

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

I thought the difference between Obama and God is that neither was a Republican. It really upset the GOP when they found out.

I think these "birthers" are soon to be all that remail of the fringe political organization known as the Republican party.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 9 months ago

The minute I saw Rush Limbaugh, I needed no further proof. This is a crock. Limbaugh makes millions of dollars off of ignorant, stupid, illiiterate crackers that listen to his drivel. It would be most believeable that he could whip up any sort of frenzy against the current administration, that is what he does for a living. I am waiting for him to state his true feelings, and the feeling of all his klan brothers, that the current nig-er in the White House ought to be dragged down a gravel road with a log chain and hung in a tree.

THAT is what all these ignorant jerks are really saying.

Who says racism is not an issue anymore in the U.S.??

jimmyjms 4 years, 9 months ago

Taking the time to post "yawn" = fail.

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

"I don't care if he's American or not, I care that he's an imbecile."

Ah, the internet. Where some nameless windbag can call a former president of the Harvard Law Review an "imbecile" with a straight face.

I can understand people disagreeing with Obama's philosophies and policies, but attempting the paint the man as unintelligent says far more about you than it does about him.

farfle 4 years, 9 months ago

All he needs to do is release his long form birth certificate and stop pretending that the short form is just as good. The short form was given for foreign born children. And it would be interesting to know why he has spent a million dollars to keep his passport and school records secret.

jimmyjms 4 years, 9 months ago

Way to go phaederino!

One link to a blog founded by Michelle Malkin!

You've definitely shown that you have a handle on the process of quantification.

Here's my proof that republicans are ignorant morons:

It's 100% as credible as the link you posted.

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

“The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system,” Obama said in remarks after a health care roundtable with physicians, nurses and health care providers. “And greater stability and security to America’s families and businesses.”

"inefficiencies?"

still no change....sigh..........

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 9 months ago

Credentials required by the discreditable.

[ yawn ] ... move along

( ... little dogie )

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

We've learned from listening to 8 years of BDS that no wild rumor should be discarded.

bookemdano 4 years, 9 months ago

I just like that they somehow reason that shortly after Obama's birth his mom knew he might be president someday, so she notified not one but two Honolulu newspapers to publish a birth announcement saying he was born there.

It's really frightening how much ridiculous nonsense people will take at face value. For crying out loud, use the brain God gave you!

pace 4 years, 9 months ago

kansasfaithful (Anonymous) says… I have searched the internet high and low for a published copy of Mr. Obama's birth certificate. V

lolololol THAT IS GREAT. I searched the sears catalogue and didn't find Palin's certificate, I searched through the recycling bin and didn't find Jimmy Hoffa. lol The church of the google faithful, we believe in the Internet, . lol that was funny. And the little villagers ran through the village with torches to kill the monster but only found a witch house made of candy. They looked it up on the Internet and decided to sell it.

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

Nice to see the conservatives on here showing their true colors. (Then they wonder why they got left behind by the rest of the nation.)

OeraLinda 4 years, 9 months ago

What is amazing is that Obama convinced a hundred + million people he is not a racist. From his church, to black liberation theology, to his wife it is quite obvious. Now he has opened his mouth and made it official.

Try finding some of his Harvard records or looking into who funded his education.

KansasVoter 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't understand the birthers. I can kinda understand Holocaust deniers, moon landing deniers, and 9/11 truthers, but this birth certificate nonsense just doesn't make any sense to me. If this load of crap really was true, don't you think that Hillary or McCain would have brought it up before the election? They both tried to smear him with everything else, so if this is true, why didn't they use this "fact" to force him out of the Presidential race? And why wouldn't the state of Hawaii do something about it?

jimmyjms 4 years, 9 months ago

"Articles like this attempting to suggest those demanding proof are just a bunch of idiots don't cut it. "

Actually, it cuts it quite well. If you are a birther, you are an idiot. This is clear for all to see.

"I don't care if he's American or not, I care that he's an imbecile."

I'd like to see some quantification for that, please.

phaederino 4 years, 9 months ago

I don't care if he's American or not, I care that he's an imbecile.

BigPrune 4 years, 9 months ago

Of course he's not from here, it's quite obvious isn't it? He comes from a place that's very hot.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 9 months ago

The only relevance I see here is not actually the birth certificate, but such a rapid erosion in any faith/trust in Obama that people are looking for someway---anyway to vent their disgust and frustration. No need to mention Pelosi, Reid and the Dem majority. They've already committed political suicide in the opinion of many and it shows in the polls, something Obama, Pelosi and Reid love---sweet irony.

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

I saw the piece to which you are referring, barrypenders.

The fact that I am stating a similar viewpoint doesn't mean it was copied. It's a fairly generic philosophy

barrypenders 4 years, 9 months ago

"there is something to be said about refusing to cater to the demands of fringe lunatics" & Excellent advice! Very progressive statement!

footnote: copied retort piece from if Daily Show.

logicsound09 4 years, 9 months ago

"My wife has hers so why is it to much to ask for a proof of citizenship from Mr. Obama and all of this goes away."

There are a couple of reasons why it is "too much to ask".

For one, based on the stubborn refusal to acknowledge facts by loonies like yourself, I doubt there is any form of proof that you would actually accept.

For another, there is something to be said about refusing to cater to the demands of fringe lunatics. The idea of having to prove something just because the question was posed is absurd, especially for someone like the president, who has far better things to do with his time, and especially with something that is so thoroughly wrong.

To illustrate my point, how's about you prove that you aren't a pedophile? Oh, what's that you say? That's a ridiculous claim with absolutely no support? Well then it shouldn't be too hard to disprove, right? Just send me your entire criminal record and it'll clear it right up.

Or maybe we should agree that a claim doesn't have to be debunked just because the claim is made.

mleanna 4 years, 9 months ago

kansasfaithful (Anonymous) says…

"I have searched the internet high and low for a published copy of Mr. Obama's birth certificate..."

High and low? Really? Found in all of about five seconds, here's some actual information and a number of high-res photos, just for you: http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

motocross 4 years, 9 months ago

All you did was watch the Daily Show last night and copy thier piece..... Pretty weak is you ask me.

parrotuya 4 years, 9 months ago

KF, your birth certificate looks fake to me. How do I know you were really born here? II didn't actually see your birth. Is there some video? And seeing is believing, you know. State seals are easily faked. Documents produced in the age before computers are easily faked as well. We will need some testimonials from the medical staff as well. I think there ought to be a law...

You could be from Libya for all I know. I think we will need more documentation. We wouldn't want to have a "documentation problem" now, would we?

DOWn, baby, DOWn!

barrypenders 4 years, 9 months ago

Illegal residents always seem to have birth cirtificates for their resident youngens birthed in US. I wonder why Obama doesn't affix his to his forehead so that everyone can be satisfied with his birth place?

Keith 4 years, 9 months ago

It's being kept alive because it shows the birthers to be loonies, and so is entertaining. I used the exact same form Pres. Obama showed as proof of citizenship when I applied for a passport. There is no evidence the birthers won't ignore, no weak rumor they won't believe. I don't see how you can hope to reason with them.

Dan Eyler 4 years, 9 months ago

I have searched the internet high and low for a published copy of Mr. Obama's birth certificate. All I have found are documents suggesting he was born in the USA but none of which are a birth certificate. I have mine from 47 years ago. My wife has hers so why is it to much to ask for a proof of citizenship from Mr. Obama and all of this goes away. Articles like this attempting to suggest those demanding proof are just a bunch of idiots don't cut it. Each one of us idiots are able to go to our file cabinet and produce our birth certificates. It is however articles coming from the government media complex that is keeping this issue alive. Just maybe this means there is something to it. Obama can join the rest of American citizens and show us the certificate.