Archive for Friday, July 17, 2009

Woman detained after allegedly swimming nude in Kansas River

A homeless woman in Lawrence was arrested after skinny dipping in the Kansas River. She was arrested for indecent exposure.

July 17, 2009

A river gazer suddenly had something else to look at last week, after a homeless woman came up to him, took off her clothes and hopped in the water, Lawrence police said Friday.

The 45-year-old woman was arrested for indecent exposure after the alleged incident, which occurred July 10, along the south bank of the Kansas River, in the 500 block of Vermont Street, according to a police report.

The woman reportedly approached a 46-year-old Lawrence man, who was standing along the river, "and asked him if he minded if she went skinny-dipping,” the report said. "The man said before he could respond, the woman had taken off her clothes and entered the water."

An officer located the woman lying nude on the river bank with another man. The officer asked her to get dressed and took her into custody.

Comments

Shane Garrett 5 years, 5 months ago

Rock on Lawrence. I don't mind at all, miss!

Shane Garrett 5 years, 5 months ago

Finally the ljw covers a worthwile story.

Bruce Bertsch 5 years, 5 months ago

Glad to know the constabulary is keeping us safe from naked homeless women.

orbiter 5 years, 5 months ago

Took her into custody for skinny dipping? Great job LPD! Bang up job.

Sit back, have a glass of lemonade and listen to wholesome sounds of Pat Boone. You've earned it.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 5 months ago

This is ridiculous.

Don't the police have something more important to worry about.

Skin dipping should not get you arrested.

We are letting felons out onto the streets who are dangerous because we are too soft on real criminals. I know too many victims of robberies that went unsolved and people are buying handguns in record numbers because they are afraid.

Law enforcement is getting their priorities wrong.

Get real.

MyName 5 years, 5 months ago

lol don't blame the police, blame the person who called the police.

boltzmann 5 years, 5 months ago

I would be for the river being clothing optional - as long as it would be my option.

You...OK You..no You...Hell yeah. You...no way

Tony Kisner 5 years, 5 months ago

I guess there was no need for a frisking?

CLARKKENT 5 years, 5 months ago

ice--when you are 67, who cares???????

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

I like how the banner to the right had a commercial for a swimsuit outlet. I don't think the lady in question will be logging on anytime soon, just so you know.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

The police just enforce the laws, they don't make them up as they go along. So, even if the officers involved could not care less personally, professionally they have to do their job. Modesty is not a bad thing at any age or any condition.

Charlie Sabotage 5 years, 5 months ago

for shame. a naked homeless woman. who REALLY cares?

frank mcguinness 5 years, 5 months ago

Gross Gross Gross, Anybody who would swim in that river is insane. That is the nastiest river within 500 miles. Lets forget about her swimming nude and focus on that fact she even got into that water in the first place.

Joel Hood 5 years, 5 months ago

For you upstanding and productive citizens of Lawrence who believe the “cops are garbage,” did it ever occur to you that this woman was likely mentally unstable and the cops were called to get her out before they had to fish out - face down. But then, I’m sure one you upstanding citizens would have risked your own life to save a complete stranger before the cops got there.

auturgy 5 years, 5 months ago

Seriously, that river is SO nasty that I hope they let her take a shower, at the very least. Ugh.

Grump 5 years, 5 months ago

How come this never happens when I'm standing by the river?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 5 months ago

46 is homeless years is 91 in normal years. That's a reason to get arrested.

blindrabbit 5 years, 5 months ago

Darn it! What's a nudist swimmer to do since they arrested 3 of them a few weeks ago at a apartment house. I suggest a nudist night at the City pool; all the gawkers would of course be welcome.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 5 months ago

That woman should be advised how toxic that river is and choose a pond surrounded by an organic farm field. Who knows maybe the organic farm family might join her.

The LPD does not go looking for live nude bodies unless someone forces them to do so....

After all we were born naked.

blindrabbit 5 years, 5 months ago

Katara 5 years, 5 months ago

blindrabbit (Anonymous) says… Kansas needs a nude swimming hole; Lone Star Lake is too remote. California has Blacks Beach, Virginia has Assateague, New Mexico has Elephant Rock, Lawrence used to have Sycamore Hollow. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Wasn't there a place over by Topeka by the name of Lake Edun or something? I could have sworn I've read about it on LJW before.

Charlie Sabotage 5 years, 5 months ago

there is lake gaea out towards mclouth where they have clothing optional beaches. they have a website. campgaea.org

50YearResident 5 years, 5 months ago

Don't forget our drinking water comes from that nasty river. Now we have another reason to not want to drink it!

puddleglum 5 years, 5 months ago

eww-icky. I wonder if any leaches "found their way home"

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

mdrndgtl (Anonymous) says…

Really, who called the police?

---strange thing, the 9-1-1 screen on that call indicated that the fish in the river called for the PD!

and, the guy she spoke to before taking her clothes off and jumping in, how was the springy in his fishing pole after that? lol

seriously, it says 500-block of VT, so upstream, just barely [sorry for pun] of the dam. maybe there actually was some danger posed to this woman.
yes, probably mental health issues are the serious element here.

also, on July 10th it was pretty hot.

in fact, why didn't we get a breaking news e-mail and webpage banner on this last friday?

puddleglum 5 years, 5 months ago

ding ding ding! we have a winner!

maybe she was nude-noodling?

blindrabbit 5 years, 5 months ago

katara and justchuck: I think you are both correct about Topeka and McClouth. With chiggers so bad this year nude swimming would reveal all of your flaws.

Ricci Moyer 5 years, 5 months ago

dang it!!! I told grandma to stop doing that!!!!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

I hope this woman gets help from Bert Nash. It may be cute from a two year old running across the living room, but not from a grown woman. The difficulty is people with diametrically different standards having to live in the same community.

alm77 5 years, 5 months ago

Jesse Fray, I think that first paragraph is one of the most well written I've read in a while! Made me laugh.

somebodynew 5 years, 5 months ago

autie - was that you or one of your cousins???

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

"if that was you in that river you wouldn't be laughing at all!"

[with Macdonalds themesong]

Chris Scafe 5 years, 5 months ago

What's really a shame is that the woman is homeless and had to go to the river to bathe.

Ernest Barteldes 5 years, 5 months ago

So Im guessing that the guy actually minded the woman go swimming naked... so, is it THAT hot in Kansas?

introversion 5 years, 5 months ago

I think a $10 citation probably would have covered it.

Fugu 5 years, 5 months ago

I just want to know how she had taken all of her clothes off and jumped in the river before this man even had a chance to respond.... This woman is quick! Did she have break-a-way clothing?

blindrabbit 5 years, 5 months ago

based on what Defenstrator blogged about sighting a wet beaver in the river; this story no-doubt is related to the dam/powerplant story. Aren't beavers great dam builders; or is this different kind of beaver of which he speaks.

mae 5 years, 5 months ago

fugu, you just made me laugh, kudos!!!

the river isn't that dirty, i've tested it. it really depends which side of the dam that it happened.

i agree that it's sad if she had to bathe this way, but i wouldn't hesitate to swim it in the right places. of course i'm a strong swimmer and not mental. growing up in muddy rivers and creeks isn't something to be ashamed of. lots of these people are heroes during floods just because we learned to swim currents rather than swimming pointless laps in joco pools.

just saying.

Janet Lowther 5 years, 5 months ago

Ah, that is the problem with the generational change in attitude when police quit thinking of themselves as "peace officers" and started thinking of themselves as "law enforcement officers."

The problem with law enforcement, is that police tend to focus their efforts on the laws which are easiest to enforce and obtain convictions on, rather than the laws which are important, so they enforce silly laws like speeding and drug possession at the expense of important laws like burglarly, robbery, murder and rape and fraud.

Peace officers kept the peace. Law enforcement officers enforce any fool thing the city commission passes.

50YearResident 5 years, 5 months ago

I think the problem was she weighed 300 pounds and they charged her with public obscenity!

somebodynew 5 years, 5 months ago

@jrlii - OK, let me see if I follow your "thinking"? A law (ordinance) is passed and the "Peace Officer" is supposed to enforce only those He/She thinks is important?? Sounds like something one could be fired for.

If you have rules at whatever work you do, do you pick and choose which ones are "important"??

People need to keep in mind that if the POLICE are called, they have to respond. And hopefully will enforce whatever law has been legally been passed.

If you think speeding is a "silly law", first try responding to the scenes of some of the accidents caused by this "silly law" and then secondly get the law changed by the legislators so that the silly thing is abolished.

sustainabilitysister 5 years, 5 months ago

rousseau108 5 years, 5 months ago

then tell all of your little uptight friends to stop calling the police for such "trivial" (according to you) offenses, that way they'd actually have the time to be proactive and go after more serious criminals (which I'm sure is what they'd rather do anyway). Learn to parent your kids, get along with your neighbors, don't catch stray dogs, learn to relax and at least put up with fireworks around the 4th, etc, etc, and voila, lots of extra time for the police to do actual policing.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 5 months ago

At least she asked the first time. Manners still count.

somebodynew 5 years, 5 months ago

sustainabilitysister - "I too am a supporter of clothing optional sunbathing and swimming in the Kaw. Thanks LPD for wasting our taxes some more. "

While I personally agree with the clothing optional thing (although not sure about the river), what don't people get in this. The cops were CALLED there because someone obviously took offense. Once you call the police you deal with the outcomes.

And to jrlii - Keep in mind, when officers are sworn in they take an oath to uphold the laws. They don't get to pick which ones they think are "silly". They may not all enforce them the same way, but they are required to respond, assess the situation and make a determination on what to do.

altarego 5 years, 5 months ago

We oughtta get her a job at the new Hooters out on the SLT!!!

BigPrune 5 years, 5 months ago

This wasn't the same homeless woman who got arrested a few years ago for "doin' IT in the road" with a bunch of homeless guys, was it?

BlackVelvet 5 years, 5 months ago

I'd bet dollars to donuts that if the cops had not arrested this person, there would be plenty of bitching and complaining on here about the LPD not enforcing all of the laws.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

Was the gal worth looking at?

Marioin, I thought you were the big hit with the ladies!

are you so desperate you'd go panting after a 45-year-old homeless woman???

besides, now you've already got Irish!

KS 5 years, 5 months ago

If she was good looking with a nice body, it wasn't indecent exposure. If she was obese, it is.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 5 months ago

Okay, I take this personally! ( I turned 45 today.) I would never want to swim naked where anyone would see me. Unless, of course, I was at a very isolated lake with my significant other.(hee.hee) Some of you seem to think that 45 yr. olds should never been seen naked. Well excuse me! What you forget is that persons in their 40's, 50's, etc are still rather sexy to their partners! Deal with it!

Godot 5 years, 5 months ago

I cannot believe this arrest, for this reason, happened in Lawrence. How many on this blog streaked during the 70's? Come on, 'fess up.

Godot 5 years, 5 months ago

I commend said "homeless woman" for making the effort to take a bath. Maybe the problem the city has with her bathing is that she did not have to register with the city in order to pay for the pleasure of using water.

PatKirk 5 years, 5 months ago

Swimming in that river is dangerous nude or clothed.

Scott Overfield 5 years, 5 months ago

Maybe the guy was waiting for her to take her clothes off before he decided whether or not if he was going to be offended.

ChasL 5 years, 5 months ago

If this had been a "homeless" man, I wonder if we'd have as much LPD bashing on this thread?

9070811 5 years, 5 months ago

You know, if a KU rower falls into the Kansas River, they get sent home for the rest of day. Some of women have developed staff infections.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

Oh hi there Nudist! haven't seen your posting for a while, so I thought you'd taken off [sorry, pun intended].

misplacedcheesehead (Anonymous) says…

---Cheesehead, it isn't the 45 by itself. we have seen the homeless bumettes, and many of them at age 30 are well uh, less attractive than KState's beauty queen...the cow.

btw, use the word "bumettes" because "bum" has a conotation of masculinity.

yes BeerGuy, she jumps in the river and you have a very dirty homeless bumette then!

again, I am shocked and deplore the LJWorld for waiting a week to publish this. it should've been breaking news with breaking news e-mails and the big banner thingy on the webpages!

somebodynew 5 years, 5 months ago

autie - I am so relieved to hear from you. Since you didn't respond, I was beginning to think it might have been you !!! Hopefully, you didn't just make bail.

BTW - hope you know I am just kidding.