Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, January 31, 2009

People in the news

January 31, 2009

Advertisement

Rapper DMX sentenced to 90 days for felonies

Phoenix — Rapper DMX was sentenced to 90 days in jail Friday for convictions on theft, drug-possession and animal-cruelty charges.

DMX, whose real name is Earl Simmons, also was placed on at least 18 months’ supervised probation by Maricopa County Superior Court Commissioner Phemonia Miller.

Simmons pleaded guilty Dec. 30 to three felony counts — theft, possession or use of marijuana, and possession or use of narcotic drugs — and one misdemeanor count of animal cruelty.

The 38-year-old rapper has been in the Maricopa County Jail since being arrested Dec. 9 in Miami on a warrant after failing to appear in court in Phoenix. His attorney, Stephen Lee Crawford, didn’t immediately return calls seeking comment.

Despite the prosecutor’s objections, Miller said she would allow Simmons to apply to serve his sentence in Florida, the Republic said.

The animal-cruelty and drug charges stem from an August 2007 raid that Maricopa County sheriff’s deputies conducted at Simmons’ home in Cave Creek, a Phoenix suburb. Authorities investigating a report of animal abuse found three dead dogs, guns, ammunition and drug paraphernalia.

Springsteen: Wal-Mart deal was a mistake

New York — The Boss is owning up to a mistake.

In an interview with Sunday’s New York Times, Bruce Springsteen says he shouldn’t have made a deal with Wal-Mart. This month, the store started exclusively selling a Springsteen greatest hits CD.

Some fans were critical because Springsteen has been a longtime supporter of worker’s rights, and Wal-Mart has faced criticism for its labor practices.

Springsteen told the Times that his team didn’t vet the issue as closely as he should have, and that he “dropped the ball on it.”

Springsteen released his new CD “Working on a Dream” this week and is performing the halftime show at the Super Bowl.

Kilmer to be king of Bacchus in parade

New Orleans — “Batman Forever” star Val Kilmer will reign as celebrity king when the Krewe of Bacchus parade rolls through New Orleans on Feb. 22, two days before Mardi Gras.

Kilmer will be decked out in royal apparel as he rides through the city on a float in the annual parade.

“He’s very excited,” said Bacchus captain Owen “Pip” Brennan, who has been in contact with Kilmer about the event.

Kilmer will visit Children’s Hospital, a tradition every reigning Bacchus has participated in for the past three decades, Brennan said.

“He loves coming to New Orleans,” Brennan said. “He said this has always been a favorite destination of his.”

Last year, wrestler and reality TV star Hulk Hogan was the krewe’s celebrity king.

Singer Winehouse’s home burglarized

London — Amy Winehouse’s spokesman says the singer’s home in north London was broken into while she was on vacation in the Caribbean.

Spokesman Chris Goodman says Winehouse has reported guitars and music-recording equipment stolen.

Goodman said Friday the home was left empty when Winehouse was on her much-publicized vacation on the island of St. Lucia.

He says Winehouse’s neighbors spotted the burglars Thursday and called police. Officers found the front door kicked in. No arrests have been made.

Winehouse shot to stardom with the multi-Grammy-winning album “Back to Black” in 2006 and has a fortune estimated by the Sunday Times at $15 million.

Attorney wants Zellweger’s diary

Los Angeles — An attorney wants Bridget Jones’ diary.

Allen Michel told a judge in Los Angeles on Friday that he wants Renee Zellweger to turn over her diary, give a deposition and provide any other documents to explain how she spent her time during a seven-week delay in the filming of 2005’s “Cinderella Man” in Toronto.

Zellweger’s agents had negotiated a $3 million payment for the “Bridget Jones’ Diary” star because of the delay, caused by Russell Crowe’s dislocated shoulder.

Michel represents an insurer that says it’s already paid nearly $6 million for the delay, and wants to detail Zellweger’s actions during that time. The insurer claims it shouldn’t be liable for the money paid to Zellweger, who isn’t named as a party to the lawsuit.

Britney Spears granted restraining order

Los Angeles — Britney Spears has obtained a restraining order against former pal Osama “Sam” Lutfi and one-time boyfriend Adnan Ghalib, court records show.

Attorneys for Spears and her father, who is her legal conservator, received the order Friday. The documents state that Lutfi, Ghalib and attorney Jon Eardley have been trying to gain control of Spears’ affairs.

Lutfi was a manager and friend of Spears, whose mother once accused him of grinding pills into her food to control her. Ghalib, a paparazzo, had dated the singer.

Judge Aviva K. Bobb signed a temporary restraining order Friday forbidding Lutfi, Ghalib and Eardley from having contact with Spears, her parents and her young children. A hearing on whether to extend the order is scheduled for next month.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.