Archive for Friday, January 9, 2009

Lawrence boy, hedgehog appear on ‘Fox & Friends’

Judson King, Mayor Mike Dever and the hedgehog Little Luke made an appearance on Fox News to discuss the lifting of the ban on hedgehogs as pets in the city.

January 9, 2009

Local boys star in national TV spots

A pair of Lawrence boys were splashed on TV screens across the country Friday. Enlarge video

When an 11-year-old petitioned a law that prohibited hedgehogs in the city of Lawrence, he had no idea what kind of attention he would receive.

Judson King, a sixth grader at Corpus Christi Catholic School, changed the law after presenting his case in early December at City Hall. He received his first pet hedgehog, Little Luke, for Christmas. Since then, King’s phone has been ringing off the hook with requests for him to appear with Little Luke on national television.

“Honestly, I didn’t think I’d make local news,” King said while watching his new pet burrow under his couch. “I just wanted to get hedgehogs.”

He is wearing a shirt that says, “Boy takes on city hall for hedgehog — I just saw it on CNN.com,” which proudly displays his accomplishment. “I think I’m the youngest kid in Kansas to make hedgehogs legal or to change a law — and I think that’s pretty cool.”

King’s not the only one that feels that way — his mother, Rebecca Weeks, said they started receiving calls from national TV programs on Monday.

“The aftermath has been nonstop. I did not expect it,” Weeks said. “For us, it’s just Jud being Jud.”

King, Little Luke and Lawrence Mayor Mike Dever appeared on the “Fox and Friends” morning show on Friday. When asked why he likes hedgehogs so much, King stated that he “just thought they were adorable” among other reasons.

The young policy changer also was invited to two talk shows in California, a state where hedgehogs are still illegal. King said he is waiting to hear whether or not they can obtain a permit for Little Luke.

With all the media frenzy surrounding King, he said the best part was owning his very own hedgehog.

“The coolest thing is that he let’s me hold him now,” King said, never taking his eyes off Little Luke.

King said his family, friends and school have been very supportive of him, and cited his mom as inspiration for successfully changing the law.

Comments

KS 5 years, 10 months ago

I can not believe the LJW gave credit to Fox News? Hell has frozen over!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 10 months ago

Right On Judson, can you run for City Commision? We need with common sense to represent us.

Stormy101 5 years, 10 months ago

I lived in England for nine years where Hedgehogs are native. Every once in awhile I would see one scurry across a path. They are very cute and harmless, eating bugs or slugs. They are very good pets? Why would anyone want to ban them! Now if they could just shovel snow off the sidewalks the City of Lawrence would have one more thing they wouldn't have to complain about! Good for you!

ronwell_dobbs 5 years, 10 months ago

KS (Anonymous) says… "I can not believe the LJW gave credit to Fox News? Hell has frozen over!"I can't believe Fox "News" would have someone from a dirty-hippie, dope-smoking, god-hating, librul town like Lawrence, KS.

fatheadff 5 years, 10 months ago

Ok he did a great job. I'm proud of him but really, a weeks worth of coverage... Next story please

kansasplains 5 years, 10 months ago

This is typical Fox News- a travesty, to say the least. First, why not from Lawrence, instead of Topeka. And even worse, the commentator says she is "from Minnesota, which is close to Kansas." Ridiculous!

Confrontation 5 years, 10 months ago

Letting your child be on this show should be considered abuse.

igby 5 years, 10 months ago

Possum's make good pets too. They're harmless and like to have their belly rubbed. Their much like an Armadillo without the the shell.

BaxterC 5 years, 10 months ago

But what does the hedgehog have to say about the Iraq War?

Mike Blur 5 years, 10 months ago

Okay, it's January 11, and this story is the headline story on ljworld.com, with a dateline of January 9. It's a cute story, but it's been beaten into the ground already. Heck, even twice-a-week Holton Recorder has changed its front-page storylines to something more current.

jayhawkster 5 years, 10 months ago

Back in ought three - that's nineteen hundred and ought three - we banned these varmints cuz they was terrorizing my melon patches. Those kids better keep them critters under lock and key or I'll sic Bessie on 'em. And Bessie don't cotton to no hedgemmerhogs. Flea bitten varmints grumble cough.