Archive for Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dad decries removal of kids named after Nazis

February 1, 2009

— The father of three children who have names associated with Nazis is accusing the state Division of Youth and Family Services of taking his children under false pretenses and says one of the kids appeared neglected when he saw them last week.

Heath Campbell told The Associated Press on Saturday that he and his wife, Deborah, have been allowed to see their children once since state child welfare workers removed them from the family’s home Jan. 9.

Campbell said his 2-year-old daughter, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell, appeared sick and had a runny nose and dirty diaper when he and his wife visited the children last week under the supervision of state social workers.

DYFS has not said why JoyceLynn and siblings Adolf Hitler Campbell, 3, and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell, who will be 1 in April, were removed. Kate Bernyk, a DYFS spokeswoman, said Saturday that confidentiality laws prevent the agency from commenting on specific cases.

Comments

misseve 5 years, 10 months ago

I haven't heard a thing other than the refusal of putting Adolf's name on his birthday cake...

labmonkey 5 years, 10 months ago

Just giving those children those names is child abuse. I am not sure they should be taken away...but unless they have their names changed, they will never be able to be socially adjusted. That's a tough call.

BrianR 5 years, 10 months ago

Tom, Would you revise or update your 6:50 post to include something about coal and evolution? Then you'll have touched on all the right-wing wacko topics in one spectacular post.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

Odd case, don't know if the kids should be taken away or not, but does anybody wonder if they won't be full blown bigots by the time they're 6? Sad case either way.

Confrontation 5 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure that many posters on here look at this idiot as a hero.

oldvet 5 years, 10 months ago

So the state that issued an official birth certificate in those names now thinks the children should be taken out of the household because of those names...???Maybe there should also be a criminal investigation of the office that issued the birth certificates in those names...

yankeelady 5 years, 10 months ago

Maybe this is what the parents want---lots of publicity.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

"Further you right wingers need to simply see what names your last VP candidate gave her kids “Piper, Willow, Bristol and Trig”. But hey, she a die hard Republican, so that's great"Piper-name of a bird, Willow- name of a plant, and Bristol- one of the more popular names being used these days for newborns........why those names are just as inflammatory and disgusting as 'Aryan Nation' and 'Adolf Hitler'. Dumbest post of the day so far. Congrats, beo.

denak 5 years, 10 months ago

I have been a foster parent for 5 years and even thouhg I don't claim to be an "expert, the parents seem to me to be typical of a lot of biological parents whose children are in foster care. They have little to no ability to empathize with their children and are completely narcissistic. I have read interviews by Dad and he loves to play the victim. Both he and his wife love to play coy. They will claim not to be racist and then go on to say that they don't believe in "race mixing." They will say that they believe that the Nazis were "bad" and yet their house is filled with Nazi memorabillia. These parents don't care that their son is going to be ridiculed and probably beat up during his life. Why, because they have no ability to empathize. They are more concerned with the attention they get then with what is good for their children. A child who is named "Abraham, Jesus, Mohammed or even George" isn't going to get the crap beat out of him because of his name. A child named Adolf Hitler is. That child has no ability to understand why he was named after this person. He is going to be shunned and ridiculed and made to feel bad. The parents lack of empathy for their child is child abuse. And that child is not going to grow up to thank Mom and Dad at all.As for the allegations against DYFS, it is probably true that they have only been able to see them once. When a child is taken into custody, the first thing the agency tries to establish is if there is a threat to the child. Then the agency will try to set up a reintergration plan. Reintergration is the primary goal when a child enters foster care. So, these kids will eventually go back to the parents if the parents meet the standards set by DYFS. As for the little girl being sick, she might have been. It was, after all January. And it is not uncommon for children going to a new placement to get sick because of the change in diet and because of anxiety. So, she might have been. Or she might not have been. It is not unusual for bio parents to make allegations against the foster parent or the agency as a way to garner attention. It is also conceivable that the child was sick because she was nervous about visiting with her parents. That happens also.As for why these children were taken away, personally I think naming the children what they did is child abuse however there has to be more to what is going on. I have read in other interview that the house was filthy the few times it was visited by DYFS prior to the children's removal. So the primary reason for these children's removal might not be their name after all but the filthy living conditions they were in.Dena

notajayhawk 5 years, 10 months ago

denak (Anonymous) says…" They will claim not to be racist and then go on to say that they don't believe in “race mixing.”"Sounds a lot like Abe Lincoln to me."They will say that they believe that the Nazis were “bad” and yet their house is filled with Nazi memorabillia."My uncle's house was decorated similarly. Most of it he took off dead Nazis during the war."These parents don't care that their son is going to be ridiculed and probably beat up during his life."Maybe the parents don't think their kids should be "beat up" because of their name. Maybe the problem here is the huge number of people who accept as a matter of course that a kid will be beat up just because of his name. "A child who is named “Abraham, Jesus, Mohammed or even George” isn't going to get the crap beat out of him because of his name."You don't get out of Lawrence much, do you? I can think of lots of places where a kid might get the crap beat out of him for being named Abraham, Jesus, or Mohammed (George is a stretch - okay, maybe in Lawrence they'll beat up a kid named George). There's also probably at least a couple of places where the little guy wouldn't have been the only one in his class named Adolph."As for why these children were taken away, personally I think naming the children what they did is child abuse however there has to be more to what is going on. I have read in other interview that the house was filthy the few times it was visited by DYFS prior to the children's removal."And what was DYFS doing there in the first place? Lots of people have dirty homes. DYFS (or SRS of DCFS or whichever) doesn't do routine spot checks. If it hadn't been for the names, how would DYFS even have become involved?Look, I think the guy's a moron, too. Unfortunately, people have the right to be morons. Why is it that the KKK has a constitutional right to march in public and give speeches and distribute literature, but this guy can't name his kids whatever he wants? (And I'm not necessarily saying the KKK should have those rights, just asking why one and not the other.)

Harpo 5 years, 10 months ago

Well my daddy left home when I was three And he didn't leave much to ma and me Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze. Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid But the meanest thing that he ever did Was before he left, he went and named me "Sue." Well, he must o' thought that is quite a joke And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk, It seems I had to fight my whole life through. Some gal would giggle and I'd get red And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head, I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Sue." Well, I grew up quick and I grew up mean, My fist got hard and my wits got keen, Roam from town to town to hide my shame. But I made me a vow to the moon and stars That I'd search the honky-tonks and bars And kill that man who gave me that awful name. Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July And I just hit town and my throat was dry, I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew. At an old saloon on a street of mud, There at a table, dealing stud, Sat the dirty, mangy dog that named me "Sue." Well, I knew that snake was my own sweet dad From a worn-out picture that my mother'd had, And I knew that scar on his cheek and his evil eye. He was big and bent and gray and old, And I looked at him and my blood ran cold And I said: "My name is 'Sue!' How do you do! Now you gonna die!!" Yeah that's what I told him Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes And he went down, but to my surprise, He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear. But I busted a chair right across his teeth And we crashed through the wall and into the street Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer. I tell ya, I've fought tougher men But I really can't remember when, He kicked like a mule and he bit like a crocodile. I heard him laugh and then I heard him cuss, He went for his gun and I pulled mine first, He stood there lookin' at me and I saw him smile. And he said: "Son, this world is rough And if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough And I know I wouldn't be there to help you along. So I give ya that name and I said goodbye I knew you'd have to get tough or die And it's the name that helped to make you strong." He said: "Now you just fought one hell of a fight And I know you hate me, and you got the right To kill me now, and I wouldn't blame you if you do. But ya ought to thank me, before I die, For the gravel in ya guts and the spit in the eye Cause I'm the son-of-a-bitch that named you "Sue.'" What could I do? What could I do? I got all choked up and I threw down my gun And I called him my pa, and he called me his son, And I came away with a different point of view. And I think about him, now and then, Every time I try and every time I win, And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him Bill or George! Anything but Sue! I still hate that name! Johnny Cash

Harpo 5 years, 10 months ago

Sorry for the lengthy post. Not trying to make a point about the article, just thought you all might enjoy it..........

bearded_gnome 5 years, 10 months ago

darn,Harpo beat me to it!. ***remember, these two "parents" are in new jersey, after all...the "garden state."

Christine Anderson 5 years, 10 months ago

I also believe it is child abuse to name your child after a man who was the embodiment of evil, meaning hitler. I refuse to capitalize it.Then to name the rest after persons who enabled hitler in his attempt to exterminate the Jews-sick, sick, sick!!!Suppose these innocent children are reintegrated with their bio family. I hope they all grow up and break ties completely with their parents.(yeah, I'm bit of a dreamer) The perfect "justice" would be if the boy named adolph hitler changed his name to Yaakov, Shmuel, Shlomo, Jochanan, etc.Even better, keep them in DYFS care, and let them play with black, hispanic, and native american children, and form friendships and bonds with them. I'll bet there's no better punishment for a nazi wannabe.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

"Are you saying their name will automatically make them bigots?"Come on, beo, use your head. Anyone who would name their kids Hitler and Aryan Nation is obviously a rampant white supremacist. These kids will be indoctrinated into the world of bigotry as soon as they can speak fully. The majority of racism is taught, more often than not in the home. I've seen it before from a two and eight year old, incredibly sad and disturbing.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

Somebody mentioned it already, but the ACLU has to be stickin' their nose in this by now, don't they?I think this would have to be deemed cruel and unusual or negligent parenting. The stigma associated with such names, the animosity and revulsion they will almost certainly instill in nearly everyone they have contact with, instant suspicion and distrust, not to mention any non-white race member being immediately alienated.Harpo's referrence to a boy named Sue notwithstanding, this is beyond poor parenting. What's next, Osama bin Laden Schwartz?

denak 5 years, 10 months ago

:....So if you don't beleive in “race mixing” the government can take your children? You don't see a problem with that? Assuming that is the only cause, in this case....."My point was that the father plays games. He tries to make himself out to be a victim when he knows his beliefs are deliberately inflammatory. He is playing games for attention. That is my opinion. He and his wife like to play coy by playing the victim.As for the reason the children were taken away, I don't know. I do know that DYFS was already aware of this family and had already visited that family beforehand. So, as much as Dad would like to try and say that this is only about the children's name, I sincerely doubt that it is. Dena

denak 5 years, 10 months ago

"...They will claim not to be racist and then go on to say that they don't believe in “race mixing.””"....Sounds a lot like Abe Lincoln to me...."Cute, except for one little fact, we don't live in the 19th century. Abe Lincoln was a product of his times. Nothing more, nothing less. We don't live in the 19th century anymore. Evolve."...They will say that they believe that the Nazis were “bad” and yet their house is filled with Nazi memorabillia.”My uncle's house was decorated similarly. Most of it he took off dead Nazis during the war...."Again, you miss the point. Mom and dad are talking out the side of their mouths. They say one thing then do another. They say that they think the Nazis were bad, then celebrate them. Your uncle's reasons, a historian's reasons for having Nazi memorabillia is very different than these individuals."....And what was DYFS doing there in the first place? Lots of people have dirty homes. DYFS (or SRS of DCFS or whichever) doesn't do routine spot checks. If it hadn't been for the names, how would DYFS even have become involved?....:"There could be several ways that DYFS got involved. More than likley a phone call was made either by someone who is a mandate reporter (teacher, doctor, day care provider) or a neighbor. And it was reported that there has was "filthy" not dirty. Yes, lots of people have dirty houses. On any Sunday night, after a weekend with my kids and their friends, if you walked in my house, you would probably roll your eyes. But dirty and filthy are different things and DYFS can take your children away if your house is filthy.And by filthy, I mean human and animal feces, rotten garbage, rat/roaches/flies, broken toilets, sewage, standing water, etc. Conditions that are so unsanitary that they pose a health risk to the children. A filthy house falls under "neglect" and the state has the right. If that is the primary reason that the children were taken away, then DYFS will work with the parents, as part of the reintegration plan, to provide a more sanitary environment but a lot of parents for a number of reasons, can not or will not do it."...Why is it that the KKK has a constitutional right to march in public and give speeches and distribute literature, but this guy can't name his kids whatever he wants?...."I'm not a Constitutional scholar but "freedom of speech" particular political speech is an absolute freedom. It can not be infringed on. However, naming one's child Hitler, or anything else, probably does not fall under the umbrella of "political speech" Dena

3crookedhearts 5 years, 10 months ago

I just found out recently that "A Boy Named Sue" was written by Shel Silverstein, of "Where the Sidewalk Ends" fame. To tie this thread in with another popular one, these kids won't get beat up at school, owing to the fact that they're probably going to be homeschooled.