Archive for Saturday, September 6, 2008

Lawrence police investigating possible suicide near Riverfront Mall

Police say gunshot was self-inflicted

Lawrence police are investigating a report of a person dead from a gunshot wound in east Lawrence, police dispatchers said.

September 6, 2008, 10:22 a.m. Updated September 7, 2008, 10:27 a.m.

Lawrence police officers and Douglas County sheriff's deputies work the scene of a shooting Saturday morning on the east side of the Riverfront Plaza. A red Ford Taurus with Missouri plates sat in the parking lot, covered in blankets, with at least one window shot out.

Google Street View

East Lawrence shooting

View Larger Map

Lawrence police are investigating a report or a shooting in the area of the Riverfront Mall and the BNSF Railway Depot. (What's Google Street View?)

Lawrence police said a Missouri man about 30 years old was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound Saturday in eastern Lawrence.

Shortly before 10 a.m., police were dispatched to 1 Riverfront Plaza to a parking area between the mall and the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Depot.

Earlier, a fisherman and young boy had spotted a man inside a red four-door Ford Taurus, Police Sgt. Dave Hubbel said. Upon closer inspection, the fisherman noticed that the man was not breathing and called authorities, Hubbel said.

Douglas County Sheriff's Deputies were the first on the scene because they were coming from the shortest distance, Hubbel said. Authorities discovered the vehicle was locked, he aid. A deputy first attempted to break the passenger-side rear door with an expandable baton and then used an entrenching tool to get access to the vehicle, Hubbel said.

The man suffered a self-inflicted gunsot wound to the head, Hubbel said.

Several people in the area reported hearing lound bangs coming from the scene.

One man, Lawrence resident Donavan Kinser, said he heard three bangs that could have been gunshots or the sound of smashing car windows.

Hubbel said police on the scene did not use any weapons beyond the tools used to break the window.

Comments

itsdabits 6 years, 3 months ago

ummm.... "were on the scene Saturday afternoon investigating" ... I knew my clocks were off but none of them is more than 5 minutes away from the next and they say it's just past 10:35

Hawk6643 6 years, 3 months ago

If you are going to kill yourself you would think you would make sure the first shot count.

Termcd4 6 years, 3 months ago

I dont see anywhere in the article where it says "afternoon"....am i missing something?

BigPrune 6 years, 3 months ago

How can the windows be "all gone" when there is reflections on the rear glass and driver side front and rear door window areas? Even looking at the open door's window (on the passenger side) there's a color differentiation which looks like intact tinted glass to me.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

ummm:. "were on the scene Saturday afternoon investigating" : I knew my clocks were off but none of them is more than 5 minutes away from the next and theysay it's just past 10:35---hey, somewhere in the world its gotta be saturday afternoon!

Hawk6643 6 years, 3 months ago

Tell me how, if this guy commited suicide, he was able to get the last 2 rounds off after the first one.

hujiko 6 years, 3 months ago

In the nineteenth century, guns with multiple rounds began being produced, you dont have to shoot yourself on the first pull too....

50YearResident 6 years, 3 months ago

He must have shot himself 3 times before he got a fatal hit, should have been closer to himself.

BBFantastic 6 years, 3 months ago

Gee, Hawk. Where have YOU been hiding? Oh, maybe by the river?Only in Lawrence? I think not. Try reading national news every once in awhile.

Ray March 6 years, 3 months ago

video clip.................HAS NO AUDIO!! ????:(

standuporget 6 years, 3 months ago

I used to print and read scientific journals, Forensic Medicine was one of them. Multiple gunshots are common in hand gun suicides.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

also, it is time to remember in your prayers, if you pray, the police officers, EMS personnel, and the coroner who have to work at sites like this.

afriendofpersonincar 6 years, 3 months ago

when you type some of those things in here think of the people who knew him and cared for him. some times things seem to great for some people to handle

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

Termcd,our first two posts referred to a serious typo, do you not notice the " ... updated" ref? hey, maybe the Hawk drove this person to suicide given the location?
seriously, lawrence seems to have higher than average rate of suicide. if we put enough community support and money into it, we could indeed fix the problem of LMH having a mental health ward. seems I recall that nowadays death rates for suicide far outstrip cancer now. instead of 2% for art, 2% to save lives! might just save a few artists' lives!with enough money, we could get psychiatrists to staff it! having a ward at lmh would directly improve the response protocol for some one who walks into the e.r. and says "I want to kill myself." but obviously we need to do more to connect with people considering suicide before the deed/attempt. God care for his or her family. I too wondered about the "shot out windows" rather strange for suicide, made me wonder if something else happened, and a perp set things up to look like a suicide.

Fatty_McButterpants 6 years, 3 months ago

Wow, you all really are morons. Where does it say that he shot himself three times? Maybe he fired the first two shots in the air! Maybe he shot twice at his imaginary friend! Nope. That's not possible in your feeble little brains - it had to be a murder that the police can't prove.Give me a break. Why don't you take the tinfoil hats off for a while and join the real world.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 3 months ago

It occurs to me that this is the parking lot used by many of the people who use the services of The Leo Center.

Bob Forer 6 years, 3 months ago

Lets not dis the cops when it appears the confusion arises from poor reporting.

Wendy magillicutty 6 years, 3 months ago

this happens every where people are and dangit! they're every where too. I once owned a house in east lawrence and accidentally left my back door open for the weekend whilst I was out of town. Nobody touched a thing. I live on the west side now and just had my car window smashed. smaller lawns with less lawn treatment and sprinklers do not mean more crime, snobby-snobs. East/West, we're all the same. But I do have to say "I'm depraved on-a count I'm deprived." ha ha...when you're a jet...la la la laearworm? you're welcome.

SeaBee 6 years, 3 months ago

yoornotmee 6 years, 3 months ago

"Only in Lawrence." -hawkperchedatriverfront Are you serious? This stuff happens anywhere that has a big population. It happens in small towns too, just not as frequently since there aren't as many people. If you seriously think that these sorts of things happen only in Lawrence, then you're either extremely ignorant or you're extremely stupid. Either way, you're wrong.

igby 6 years, 3 months ago

Missouri plates, three shots, suicide?Hardly!This only means that they can't prove it was murder!The headline states suicide but the reported facts tell a different story.

kansasrose 6 years, 3 months ago

I think it is tremendously sad that this was a suicide. And, I am glad that the LJW had a link to Headquarters, at least in the print version. It is so sad that this person felt as though they were out of options. My prayers go out to his loved ones and those that had to work the scene.

rousseau108 6 years, 3 months ago

What a great "witness." "All the windows are gone" . . . hardly, it looked like only one window could have been broken, most likely from the bullet after it exited the guy's head. Yeah, and why no sound on the video? They still haven't fixed it. Probably too busy crafting their next story on how they won more awards for world's best newspaper ever.