Archive for Friday, September 5, 2008

Protest reaches milestone

September 5, 2008

For 312 Saturday afternoons, one Lawrence organization has stood in protest against the Iraq war that has claimed the lives of thousands of U.S. soldiers.

As the group invites the public to participate in a vigil at noon Saturday followed by a march down Massachusetts Street, one protester said enduring the years has been "encouraging and discouraging at the same time."

Joe Douglas, 68, a counselor at Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center, has witnessed the "tremendous enthusiasm" across the world from people demonstrating and protesting the war when it was first proposed. On the organization's first vigil in front of the courthouse, approximately 1,400 turned out.

"We really thought that we could stop it," Douglas said. "Obviously, we didn't."

Over time, the public outcry has dissipated. A dozen or so regulars still protest with signs on the corner of 11th and Massachusetts streets. People "got used to the fact that the war was going on. Even with lots of people dying there is a burn-out factor in the public," he said.

Saturday's vigil and march will be followed by a rally at Watson Park, near Eighth and Kentucky streets. Speakers will be Allan Hanson, professor of anthropology at Kansas University and a founding member of the coalition, and Forrest Swall, KU assistant professor of sociology.

"It will be a great opportunity for people who believe in the concept of peace over war to express their beliefs publicly," Douglas said.

Comments

coltrane 6 years, 3 months ago

LCPJ is a great group of people.they told the truth in 2002 before W brought us to war based upon lies - for the profiteering of his corporate buddies. truly Bush lies, your sons died.long live LCPJ !

Sean Livingstone 6 years, 3 months ago

"invictus (Anonymous) says: There are more than 4,000 abortions every WEEK in the US. Why not protest against this loss of life? Answer: They do not care about life. They have a political agenda."Why so many abortions? Lack of knowledge of contraceptives among teenagers. Teenagers don't know how to protect themselves and they want to try how sex tastes like. Abstinence program doesn't work!

dandelion 6 years, 3 months ago

b3 (Anonymous) says:Go live in Russia you losers.I realize that the schools are lacking in teaching about our government and history, because they have to teach kids to jump through all the assessment hoops, but you need to read our constitution and history. You aren't allowed to protest in Russia, but in the United States you have a right to freedom of speech. If you, b3, want to take that right away from these people, then I'll pay for your ticket to Russia or Iran or China. You may disagree with their opinions, but if you disagree with their right to express their opinion, then you are a lousy American and an unpatriotic jerk.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 3 months ago

Their slogan is: "War is not the answer" So what is the answer, be a hippie, flash the peace sign and smile. The war was poorly handled we all get that but would we have our leaders do nothing after 9/11 or maybe just ask the mean terrorist "Please stop killing us". GMABMy message to the terrorist would be: We're here, we're coming after you and we're not going away until you go away.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 3 months ago

BwFthose protesters don't need your protection and they're certainly not asking for it...unlike some Americans they have the courage to stand up for themselves and what they believe in... save whatever it is you do for those you lack courage and live in fear...if you are a soldier they are doing more for you than you are doing for them...

tonythetiger 6 years, 3 months ago

Well I would say Marvin V. and the boys actually missed the buck. The last I knew Alan Hansen and his wife ran the thing. Oh, pardon me for being young and naive and all but I thought I could trust people in an organization. I personally think I am being tortured by some radical group of people.I don't know what protests accomplish. As far as awakening the awareness of other people, I guess not much. People have a tendency to sit in front of the TV and saturate themselves day after day with media mediocrity and it floods them and bombards them so much that it washes over their minds to the point where they can't keep track of what is actually going on. Much like an alluvial flood plane or the New Orleans catastrophe that has yet to be cleaned up. Do any of the politicians promise to help with that? In addition I am quite sick of hearing how Lindsay Lohan gets drunk at all the Manhattan bars with her lesbian lover... so if the media could get back on track I would rather see them tell us about what organizations both candidates work for and why we are not only at war with Iraq and Afganistan but about to go to war with Russia as well. I think it is a bit ridiculous. Of course Peace and Justice are all tied together and just because somebody is looking different does not mean they are brought up to think the way they should about other people.So if you believe in Peace and Justice...Hey Marvin. The Confederate States of America is quite a bigoted self conscious racist a movie as I have ever seen and I would think that just because you have black friends does not mean that you should promote stereotypes. Maybe if I had no black friends I could do the same? Not that anyone from your town would have vouched for me.... See you and the yellow bug at Hillcrest!!

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 3 months ago

one last thing...the article doesn't mention the fact that when these folks first began their protest the war in Iraq had nearly an 80% approval rathing...

Blessed_with_Freedom 6 years, 3 months ago

As hard as it is to witness this group of protesters from Lawrence, and that infamous group over in Topeka... I know that my job, in its most simple form is to protect their rights to voice/demonstrate their cause/beliefs. Validation of ones profession is not always easy to accept, but nobody made me raise my right hand and accept that oath.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 3 months ago

these folks are true Americans in the most fundamental ideas and spirit that this country was founded on...

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 3 months ago

tonygood point about the stats and polls...

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 3 months ago

BwFI made assumptions about your occupation based on your first post... if you're a police officer it's likely that you and these protestors do little for each other...

MaryKatesPillStash 6 years, 3 months ago

So what is lamer - these protestors exercising their rights or the people on here who belittle them for doing so?If standing by a busy street portraying a message is too passive for you, then what the heck is anonymous cyber name-calling???

tonythetiger 6 years, 3 months ago

The article also does not mention where the stats for the support and how that poll was taken that says the support for the war in Iraq exists and who believes so.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 3 months ago

BwFand if you're a law enforcement officer and have some kind of grudge about protecting any group of law abiding citizens you may need to find a new profession...

Blessed_with_Freedom 6 years, 3 months ago

Coltrane:I've also heard that quite a few of those people in the Twin Towers of New York City... were good people. Have the good people of LCPJ given their solution to the attack of 9/11? Maybe Joe would like to put a mental health booth in each of the Starbucks to provide services for those who still suffer from that dark day.

tonythetiger 6 years, 3 months ago

well, coltrane...I think the solution to the problem is to escalate the situation with wars against countries, several in fact with open borders to our own. I think that I have not witnessed enough indignation about history and anger and resentment. Strangely enough when living in Lawrence I ran across several people that were from different countries that seemed to get along fine without the bickering of their leaders and the companies they represent instead of the people.I particularly cannot seem to see why people cannot get along myself. I have run across many a person in junior high with a ego problem. I don't particularly understand why people would chase me down continually for an argument but that seems to be something they were taught.I don't have the answer to conflict save to not continue it. What they do with people that commit crimes against others is put them away. Maybe we should do that to some of the leaders of the "free world" and the "?Third world?".?I don't have the answer myself but "selective bombing" is not the answer as far as I can see it.I still have problems with bullies though, maybe I should have stood up to them on the playground instead of trying to ignore them?

dweezil222 6 years, 3 months ago

Jumpin, I agree with you to a point, but it also helps if you have someone with an IQ over ten leading the charge."Childrens do learn!"

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 3 months ago

"It is so sad and mind boggling to watch peace protesters using violence and destustion (sic) to make their point."When and where do you see this?

Deja Coffin 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm surprised to see WSBC supporters. What courage is there in doing something because you know it'll get a reaction? My daughter drew all over her face with lipstick the other day. Should I give her an award for the courage she shows? These people only get away with what they do because of good lawyers. The more they protest the more attention they receive. It's the Paris Hilton of churchs. What a joke

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 3 months ago

consumer1 what aren't they going to do that?and... do you know that they haven't?people talk about how liberal this town is and sometimes I have to laugh...

tonythetiger 6 years, 3 months ago

There are more than 2,000 dead soldiers from the U.S. Military in a year in Iraq alone. And those are people that are already alive and on earth that we can take care of. What on earth does that have to do with abortion and a woman's right to choose whether or not she wants a child? Maybe we should mandate children exclusively to grow up and join the military to fight in the military machine and die for the upper classes? Oh... wait... maybe that is already why they want the poor and inpoverished to have all the kids they can for the killing machine. I say we give people the choice to rise above the machination of endorsed murder in America and give the woman the right to choose what is best for her situation. Especially if she can not keep the child alive when they discover a defect or the mother's raise it or even death rate of birthing mothers, even though medical technology has come a long way to keep mothers alive through childbirth since the 1900's. Who in America is going to take care of the orphan before we send it to war to die?

tonythetiger 6 years, 3 months ago

I will just take it to the park. I know the Chinese are supposed to be kite experts.Wanna come? I have a boomerang I might bring as well. I does not work in such a wind. Much like the hot air of some of the arses around these postings.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 3 months ago

The police in both Colorado and Minnesota committed a great deal of unprovoked violence against protesters, arrested them on bogus charges and held them prisoner so they couldn't exercise their constitutional rights of freedom of speech and assembly. By comparison, the small percentage of protesters who committed acts of vandalism was quite insignificant.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 3 months ago

I will give these protesters their due, at least they do not trash everything in site trying to make their point. It is so sad and mind boggling to watch peace protesters using violence and destustion to make their point.

Blessed_with_Freedom 6 years, 3 months ago

I have often wondered if Joe Douglas and his group are envious of Topeka's Westside Baptist Church... if they ever wanted an example of courage in protest, they should drop to one knee and pay their respect.It makes me sick with some of the things WSBC does, but you have to credit their courage to voice their opinion when 99.9999% of the planet opposes them. Joe Douglas and his group feel noble when they have 80% of Lawrence, KS on their side.... can you say WEAK?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 3 months ago

Blessed: "While GW is our CinC...."Child in Need of Care?

tonythetiger 6 years, 3 months ago

I am going to go buy a kite. A "Sky Spy" as a matter of fact. The big white one with the yellow bloodshot eyes and black rims around them. It was always so great to see them in the sky peering down at you.Let's go fly a kite... up in the atmosphere... up where the air is clear... Way up in the sky... Let's go fly a kite....I always liked Nena's 99 luftballoons. I think it had a real point. Okay so I am an idealist. I will live in my simplistic world of idiocy. So go your own way with your fascistic dream of having everyone do what you want. I don't want to participate.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 3 months ago

consumer1 I meant why aren't they gong to do that?

Blessed_with_Freedom 6 years, 3 months ago

tonythetiger - don't take your kite to China, their kite fighters are ruthless.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 3 months ago

"Protest reaches milestone... 312 Saturday afternoons...."Thanks, LJW, this is exactly the conversion I'd been seeking!( Now if I could only figure out how many Sunday mornings in a millstone.... )

Blessed_with_Freedom 6 years, 3 months ago

stuckinthemiddle - How does Joe Douglas and his group help me? Outside of paying taxes, which those of us who choose to work do also, I can't see his impact on my job.

coltrane 6 years, 3 months ago

answerBlessed_with_Freedom (Anonymous) says:Coltrane:I've also heard that quite a few of those people in the Twin Towers of New York City: were good people. Have the good people of LCPJ given their solution to the attack of 9/11?Maybe Joe would like to put a mental health booth in each of the Starbucks to provide services for those who still suffer from that dark day.IRAQ didn't have anything to do with 9/11, where have you been?

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 3 months ago

well bozo I am glad to say not in lawrence.But both conventions are the latest. But I have seen coverage of protest that start out ok but end with violence and destruction, do not ask when and give me a link we know I do not do that. Just pay attention to the next big city peace march something always seems to happen.But like I said not here.

Blessed_with_Freedom 6 years, 3 months ago

Coltrane:All terrorist are treated equal. However, I still haven't heard your/LCJP solution. While GW is our CinC, I beleive there had to be some sort of vote from Congress. How did your representative vote?

tonythetiger 6 years, 3 months ago

I would love to see Red Square and the Basilisk. Maybe I will go live in Russia and stop both groups of troops from murdering each other. Loser.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

Members of the Lawrence Coalition for Justice and Peace have received cheers and threats in front of the Douglas County Courthouse.---uh, they've changed their name after all these years?Screedy, you are correct, it is now profoundly true: it is far safer to be an american in baghdad, than in south chicago! south chicago, oh yeah, that's where Barry H. Obama did his "community organizing!" and while in the IL statehouse, consistently opposed bills to get tough on gangbangers and first degree murderers! he was rated as nearly the worst member on police issues.
BWF,I like that stuck/duck says these protestors are doing more than those in uniform. occassionally in this paper, lte's or even a few news articles, implying some moral equivalence! these protestors aren't fit to be in the same room as our military personnel, have not faced what they have! and they prop themselves up on such a massive cloud of self-rightiousness! no wonder the numbers have shrunk. polls of americans against the war, they didn't want to abruptly pull out and cause a greater problem like Barry H. Obama; no, americans were mad because it looked as if we were losing. americans don't like to lose a war. ***finally, many of these protestors are also in favor of open-borders. since the war began, there is an interesting comparison. take the number of americans killed in Iraq, multiply that number by approximately ten. then, you get how many americans have been killed by illegal aliens! hmmm, they protesting that invasion? nope, of course not.

coltrane 6 years, 3 months ago