Archive for Thursday, September 4, 2008

Choice demeans women

September 4, 2008

You know what bugs me most about Sarah Palin?

It isn't that John McCain spent weeks claiming Barack Obama was unready to lead, then chose her as his running mate - and potential leader of the Free World - a woman who until six years ago was mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, population: 5,469.

It isn't that Palin's daughter has been revealed to be pregnant at 17; one can only imagine how hard it must be for the poor kid to see such a difficult and personal challenge play out in national headlines.

No, what's troubling is that in choosing the Alaska governor as his running mate, McCain makes a cynical and demeaning appeal to women upset that Hillary Clinton's presidential bid fell short and that she was snubbed by Barack Obama as his number two. Had McCain chosen a woman of greater experience or higher national profile, he might at least have a fig leaf of deniability to hide behind. In settling on the relatively unknown Palin, he throws even the fig leaf away.

Indeed, lest anyone miss the point, Palin evoked Hillary Clinton's historic run during last week's campaign rollout. Referring to Clinton's oft-quoted line about how her candidacy left 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, Palin said, "It turns out that the women in America aren't finished yet, and we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all."

The notion that Hillary's women will automatically become Sarah's carries the implicit assumption that a woman is a woman is a woman is a woman, that disaffected female supporters of Clinton will flock to Palin because she has the right reproductive organs and never mind that, politically, the two could hardly be less alike. Never mind pro-choice versus pro-life. Never mind Iraq, Iran, gas prices, the mortgage crisis, failing schools. Chromosomes conquer all.

I am reminded of what happened when Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American on the Supreme Court, stepped down in 1991. President George H.W. Bush nominated another black man, Clarence Thomas, to replace him. Bush, at least, had the decency to claim with a straight face that race had nothing to do with his decision. The McCain campaign, by contrast, can hardly hide its glee at the thought Palin will woo disgruntled women away from the Democrats.

The irony is that the GOP has spent years inveighing against so-called "identity politics." I guess it's only bad when other people do it.

And here, let me admit that I'm not quite sure why Hillary Clinton's female supporters are so disgruntled to begin with. Yes, there is disappointment, even bitterness, in seeing a candidate you believed in defeated. But that's politics.

Yes, too, Clinton faced sexism from media, from voters and even, in a dismissive aside or two, from Obama. But Obama has contended with racism and misdirected Islamophobia from day one and some might argue that McCain is battling ageism even now.

Point being, Clinton was not the only candidate to face unfair challenges. So it's hard to understand this sense one gets from her women supporters that she was not just defeated, but cheated, robbed of something that belonged to her. That doesn't square with any campaign postmortem I've seen. They all say Clinton lost because her team was dysfunctional, disorganized and out-strategized.

Granted, I'm not a woman so maybe I'm missing something. But I believe that if I were a woman, even one who had supported Clinton, I'd still be insulted at this notion that any woman will do, affronted by this attempt to manipulate my hunger for history, and offended that anyone thought me blind enough to miss the obvious:

Namely, that a woman is being objectified here. And her name is not Hillary.

- Leonard Pitts Jr., winner of the 2004 Pulitzer Prize for commentary, is a columnist for the Miami Herald.

Comments

BuffyloGal 6 years, 7 months ago

Why don't you 3 ask yourself if there is anything to this argument instead of rehashing old news? McCain has the impression that women will elect anyone so long as she is female and that is an ignorant assumption. He makes a valid point.

jaywalker 6 years, 7 months ago

No offense, Scott, but I watched BO's speech, which was electric, well-written and unsurprisinglyt well-delivered. But you're gonna have to help me out on the "specifics" that you believe you heard. He made 'promises' and grandiose 'change for change's sake' statements, but there were not 'specific' policy outlines, nor have there been. He's skirted his tweaks of the American psyche with the things people always want to hear, but where's the beef? I also find it sad you find Pallin "unremarkable". And this is the problem with so many on both sides of the aisle, absolutely no willingness or ability to be rational and look at things with a touch of impartiality. If he or she is from 'that' side, well, then they're no good. Way too much polarization these days, and it doesn't bode well for this country. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but this really is our biggest problem, I feel. If you and others cannot recognize those qualities in Pallin that should be respected and admired , then the problem is yours- she's a self-made, multi-talented achiever, smart, successful, well-spoken, with a devoted family ethic; every step she's taken has been up. Her career path and success is nothing short of remarkable. In fact, in those terms and looking at it impartially, her and BO mirror each other quite a bit. All those descriptors fit him just as well. Hate for Bush causes too many to paint every one that are members of his party with the same brush. It's kinda like saying all blacks are the same as Reverend Wright - and such a view would be just as mindless, ignorant, and foolish. So very sad.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 6 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations to Mr. Pitts for getting at least ten sentences in before pulling out the race card. I think that's a new record for him. Good job!

Scott Drummond 6 years, 7 months ago

Restore:You are incorrect. We are not in the summer months, so a Dukakis summer lead diminishing is not relevant. Obama has consistently held his summer lead over McCain and we are now two months from voting. And Kerry was not leading by 17 points "at this point in 2004." By September he had been swiftboated and the Republican convention had taken place and he was behind in the race. Those are facts, Restore. Your argument would be more persuasive if you relied on them instead of misrepresenting them.

kansas778 6 years, 7 months ago

What a stupid column. McCain's choosing of a woman to be VP.....demeans women? Spin, spin, spin, and you'll get some suckers to believe that logic.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 7 months ago

bondmen - why no comment about Sarah's End of Times minister? Or does crazy only come in one color?

janeyb 6 years, 7 months ago

Kerry walked into the voting booth on election day in 2004 thinking he had the election won. They had him leading in the polls on election day. Ohio said "not today".

igby 6 years, 7 months ago

Pitt, she's the Gov. of Alaska, for god's sake get a grip on your nothingness.

Cait McKnelly 6 years, 7 months ago

Just to let ya know my blogging friends have come up with nicknames for John and Sarah. I think my favorite so far is "GI Joe" and "Barbie". It evokes the mechanical doll aspect of party rhetoric that has already failed this country in the last 8 years.They also call Palin the "VPILF". If you have any internet savvy you'll know what it means. Yes it's sexist, demeaning and objectifiying; just what McCain did in ever putting her out there to begin with.In other words, let's see how can I put this....oh yeah, this woman ain't got no respect. She's a far cry from Hilary's "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantsuits."

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

Pitts stretched a small idea into national column, but shouldn't have tried. Pitts says a lot of good things, but this was a reach. He must have a cold, or be distracted by his fantasy football, or something.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

So Pitts is suddenly outraged by the existence of identity politics. lolz!

Scott Drummond 6 years, 7 months ago

I was curious, so here is Obama's entire "clinging to God & guns" comment. "The places where we are going to have to do the most work are the places where people are most cynical about government ... everybody just ascribes it to 'white working-class don't wanna work -- don't wanna vote for the Black guy.' ... There were intimations of that in an article in the Sunday New York Times today -- kind of implies that it's sort of a race thing."In a lot of these communities in big industrial states like Ohio and Pennsylvania, people have been beaten down so long. They feel so betrayed by government that when they hear a pitch that is premised on not being cynical about government, then a part of them just doesn't buy it. And when it's delivered by -- it's true that when it's delivered by a 46-year-old black man named Barack Obama, then that adds another layer of skepticism," Obama said to laughter."So the questions you're most likely to get about me, 'Well, what is this guy going to do for me? ... we'll give you talking points about what we're proposing -- to close tax loopholes ... roll back the tax cuts for the top on perent. Obama's gonna give tax breaks to uh middle-class folks and we're gonna provide healthcare for every American."Our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there's not evidence of that in their daily lives. You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."Now these are in some communities, you know. I think what you'll find is, is that people of every background -- there are gonna be a mix of people, you can go in the toughest neighborhoods, you know working-class lunch-pail folks, you'll find Obama enthusiasts. And you can go into places where you think I'd be very strong and people will just be skeptical."

JohnBrown 6 years, 7 months ago

What does Palin and the Taliban have in common? Here's a hint from a quote from Palin's speech at a church from 3 months ago:""Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God," she exhorted the congregants. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."And this is the person we want a heartbeat away from the presidency?

bondmen 6 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Pitt, why don't you ask the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, Barry Hussein Obama's pastor of 20 years, what he thinks of Sarah Palin? Now wouldn't that be both entertaining and revealing! Mr. Pitt shows us no good deed goes unpunished.

dumas 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm a woman. And this column sums up exactly how I feel. Sure ... identity politics happen all the time. But this is the most blatant case of it I have encountered. This excerpt from The Daily Show also sums up how I feel:Jon: Senior Female and Women's Issues Correspondent Samantha Bee joins us now with more. Obviously, I know how moved you were by Senator Hillary Clinton's run for the presidency. How are you feeling now about this extraordinary moment?Samantha: It's amazing, Jon. As a proud Vagina American myself, I can tell you I'll be voting for McCain in November.Jon: That's it? You just vote for whoever has a ...Samantha: A fun pouch.Jon: The ...Samantha: The Love PitaJon: Right. But in many ways Governor Palin is the ideological opposite of Senator Clinton.Samantha: Oh yes, but she's her gynecological twin. You see the thing is. Let me explain. They both have vaginas ...Jon: Yeah, yeah. No, no. I understand. I understand. But Senator McCain is somebody who voted against equal pay for equal work.Samantha: Boobies (making circular gestures around her chest). They both have boobies.Jon: But both Palin and McCain believe that Roe v. Wade should be over turned.Samantha: Ow, ow, ow. Can you just stop overloading my lady brain? Ow. John McCain chose a woman who is almost completely unprepared for the job and who disagrees with me on every core value I believe in, but I will be voting McCain in November because he understands. Woman don't vote with the big head (pointing to her head). They vote with the little hood (pointing downward). Am I right ladies? You're with me!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Didn't Hillary actually get more votes across all the primaries than Obama got?

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 6 years, 7 months ago

I wonder what Pitts thinks of this racist comment by Joe Biden about Obama:"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy, I mean, that's a storybook, man."

bondmen 6 years, 7 months ago

BuffyloGal, some Americans have never met or known a real woman like Governor Palin. Sometimes the best man for the job is a woman! Just because she hasn't fallen for the liberal brand of feminism, some can't accept her. Well, she can't be all things to all people like Barry Hussein Obama!Did Governor Palin's minister preach race hatred, wacky, debunked conspiracy theories and hate America first rhetoric? Of course not! But we do know Reverend Jeremiah Wright did. Have you given them a listen? If not, they are here:http://michaelsavage.wnd.com/?pageId=136http://michaelsavage.wnd.com/?pageId=138Are you saying because Jeremiah Wright is black that mention or criticism of his extremist rhetoric and Marxist Black Liberation Theology is off limits? Surely not.Oh, and do you really believe Barry Obama never heard the wrong Reverend Wright say any of those nasty, hurtful things over the last 20 years? Though I suspect some do believe him, it just shows how certain folks can make the wrong judgments by willfully believing a lie.

madman 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't think there is any comparison between Clinton and Palin besides the obvious, they are female. So to me, it is more condescending and demeaning that a male would write this article and assume that a woman can't on their own go through the pro's and con's of ANY nominee without getting hung up on gender to pick the right person for the job. Yeah, we need a male to write an article like this and say, "Hey ladies, just thought I would point out to you they might be underminding you here, see that!"Hilary is not in the race anymore so stop it already. Compare Palin to those still in the race. Which in my opinion there are some good points to her experience verses Obama. With that said, I find it incredibly frustrating that in order for a woman to get any recognition on being a contender in a race like this, they have to be off the charts with experience compared to their male piers. And women are the WORST about bring down another woman. Pitts, don't tell me what is demeaning I can decide for myself.

Godot 6 years, 7 months ago

Biden is so shallow that all that registers with him about people is their appearance.There's the comment he made about Obama.His first reaction to Sarah's nomination was, "She's good lookin'."He introduced his wife by saying she is "drop dead gorgeous."I can't wait to see him try to keep up with Sarah.

craigers 6 years, 7 months ago

I find this article humorous when Pitts only weeks before has leaned on race to get support to Obama so MLKs dream can be fulfilled. He is just mad that Palin has more experience than his chosen one.

jaywalker 6 years, 7 months ago

Scott, I saw an article the other day that referenced Kerry's large electoral lead 4 years ago. I'm not predicting that'll definitely happen here, just sayin' no guarantees. I find it kinda funny you would dare to say 'a speech is not really worth much in the end'. Weren't you one of the many posters here exulting that BO's speech was so magnificent that the race was "over"? Notajay's post is spot on. And sorry, Buffalogal, but Pitt's does not make a valid point whatsoever. I find it fairly narrow minded when people claim the Pallin selection was based only on her need for a bra. How pathetic from the party of 'fairness' and 'acceptance.' On a side note, and Scott I was thinkin' of you, has anyone else noticed how the DNC was covered by ABC, NBC, and CBS in entirety, 3 plus hours each night, and they covered only 1 hour last night? Fair and balanced coverage by the media, huh? Sen. Thompson gave a hell of a speech Tues. night, and I know ABC didn't even show a second of it. When Bush addressed the RNC, they ran it without sound from the arena, so he looked sorta silly and moronic smiling and pausing without the roar of applause for viewers to hear(and yes, he needs all the help he can get). CNN has a panel with half being liberal pundits criticizing intermittently anything and everything, and a ticker at the bottom of the screen perpetually running McCain's age/"he's had constant problems with cancer"/Cindy is his second wife". Oh so impartial and evenly journalistic.

coltrane 6 years, 7 months ago

the ultimate problem with Palin is that she supports the policies of John McCain who voted 90% of the time to support Bush/Cheney !the rest is a distraction.she is a clone - evolved to vote against the best interests of her own children's future.

blahblahblah 6 years, 7 months ago

Ah, yes, Ohio. Disenfranchisement anyone? Standing in line for 7 hours with voting machine malfunctions in heavily minority populated areas. Yes, the great (white) people of the state of Ohio said "not today" to minority voters.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 7 months ago

When Pitts speaks for African Americans it has some validity. But since when has he picked up the ability to speak for women also? A thoughtful shrill piece, delivered before the dead line and filling in the required amount of column space.

Scott Drummond 6 years, 7 months ago

"maybe wrong, but we'll see what the polls say."This morning electoral polling shows Obama up to 298 electoral votes with only 270 needed for the win. 260 of those are from States he is leading by 5% or more. Palin's rude, sarcastic & ungracious speech last night is not yet entered in to the equation, but Pitt's point is valid & as you Republicans are so fond of saying, a speech is not really worth much in the end. I imagine the base is riled up and all the people who were going to vote for McCain are still going to vote for McCain. The problem is after 8 criminal years of the bush administration, far, far, far more people are motivated to vote Democratic.

Scott Drummond 6 years, 7 months ago

"I find it kinda funny you would dare to say 'a speech is not really worth much in the end'. Weren't you one of the many posters here exulting that BO's speech was so magnificent that the race was "over"?"If I did, jaywalker, it would be because Obama came out swinging in his speech, scoring points against McCain and offering specifics. And in many ways the race is over. There will be the buzz today about Palin's speech, which I thought lacked humility, lacked any discussion of specific policy plans and was overly sarcastic, rude, intellectually dishonest at times and overly negative, but the speech was a pure pander to the old, white audience in the hall. Over the next few days this woman will NOT play well with the swing voters and independents that McCain must have in order to cobble together a winning coalition. So he may pick up a few evangelicals who might have stayed home otherwise, but Obama, Biden and the Clintons are going to spend the next several weeks carving Palin and McCain apart for the benefit of the swing voters, independents and undecideds. At the end of that experience there will be very little "wow" left about this unremarkable woman. Without a plan of their own, without specific issues on which to campaign, McCain's scary black liberal campaign is not going to work.

JohnBrown 6 years, 7 months ago

Bondmen asked: "Did Governor Palin's minister preach race hatred, wacky, debunked conspiracy theories and hate America first rhetoric? Of course not!"From an article by Pitney and Stine:"And if the political storm over Barack Obama's former pastor Jeremiah Wright is any indication, Palin may face some political fallout over the more controversial teachings of Wasilla Assembly of God."If the church had a political alignment, it would almost surely be conservative. In his sermons, Kalnins did not hide his affections for certain national politicians."During the 2004 election season, he praised President Bush's performance during a debate with Sen. John Kerry, then offered a not-so-subtle message about his personal candidate preferences. "I'm not going tell you who to vote for, but if you vote for this particular person, I question your salvation. I'm sorry." Kalnins added: "If every Christian will vote righteously, it would be a landslide every time.""Months after hinting at possible damnation for Kerry supporters, Kalnins bristled at the treatment President Bush was receiving over the federal government's handling of Hurricane Katrina. "I hate criticisms towards the President," he said, "because it's like criticisms towards the pastor -- it's almost like, it's not going to get you anywhere, you know, except for hell. That's what it'll get you.""Much of his support for the current administration has come in the realm of foreign affairs. Kalnins has preached that the 9/11 attacks and the invasion of Iraq were part of a "world war" over the Christian faith, one in which Jesus Christ had called upon believers to be willing to sacrifice their lives."

justthefacts 6 years, 7 months ago

IMO the choice of Sarah was NOT to win over Hillary voters. [They are almost all pro-abortion supporters - so they obviously aren't going to be happy with a pro-life candidate, of any sex.] Rather, the choice of Sarah was to win back the disenchanted conservatives who are barely lukewarm about McCain. And it appears to be working. Working very well. People who were not going to vote this year, out of apathy and disgust, cannot wait to to vote for Sarah and that guy on the same ticket. She speaks and greatly appeals to the core conservatives that traditionally turn the tide in elections. Else why the excessively personal attacks on GOVERNOR Palin? If she is/was indeed such a lousy choice that she's hurting the McCain ticket, you'd think there would be much rejoicing in the Obama-Biden camp. They'd be quietly planning their winner after-parties. But instead, they are resorting to focusing upon information most commonly found in gossip magazines and spinning facts so out of shape they're not logically related to the truth. Yes, she's a woman. But why is that any more imporant then the fact that Obama is Black? Because all true Blacks and Women MUST belong to the Democratic party, right? If they don't, they hate themselves, right? For an interesting discussion of how GOP women are often regarded and treated by those of the other party, read this commentary: The Four Stages of Conservative Female Abuse http://michellemalkin.com/2008/09/03/the-four-stages-of-conservative-female-abuse/

justthefacts 6 years, 7 months ago

P.S. So it's OK for Obama to put a note in the Jewish "wailing wall" asking God to help him do God's will...but the same phrase/sentiment better not be uttered by Governor Palin?? How is that logical?

notajayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Typical liberal (and Pitts) rhetoric. The Democrats try - and fail - to put a woman on their ticket, and they're enlightened. The Republicans do so successfully, and they're demeaning to women. Almost a third of Democratic women said they'd vote for McCain since Hillary wasn't their nominee, in several primaries 90% of the black vote went to Obama (with a much higher percentage of those who said race was a factor than white voters who chose Hillary), but it's the Republicans who select candidates based on demographics?You guys can laugh all you want. Even here in the Peoples' Republic of Lawrence, there hasn't been a story about Obama that's made the most-discussed list in days. You can't even talk about why your own candidate should be elected, just about his opponent's running mate's daughter's pregnancy. Pretty laughable. Just like Pitts usually is.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Getting your socks twisted because the Republicans are using the conventional symbols of American patriotism is possibly the most whiny thing I've ever read that was written by a carbon-based life form.

Scott Drummond 6 years, 7 months ago

"It was really bugging me last night when the backdrop behind the speakers at the convention kept showing real 'American' images. Guliani's speech was done in front of the NYC skyline. I saw the Liberty Bell back there at one point. Then there was just a big American flag waving. It's like they're saying, "We're the REAL Americans, vote for us." I also think it's funny that the McCain campaign is largely playing off of Obama's campaign of 'change' and 'change we can believe in.' "McCain is a leader we can believe in." And since when is the Republican party a party of change and moving into the future? I was thinking they were usually satisfied with the status quo."You got it, Redwood. If you have no ideas on which to run, you play the distraction game with political propaganda and lots and lots of attacking the other guy. And "change!" How funny. What do they suppose they would be changing from? Intellectually bankrupt, intellectually dishonest, the Republicans deserve no more chances. Let a Democrat clean up the mess, again!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

"Guliani's speech was done in front of the NYC skyline."Well, Rudy does have some history with New York City, if I recall correctly. And one would expect to see American flags at the convention of a national political party, right?

freedom408 6 years, 7 months ago

Obama has built a campaign the likes of which this countryor world has not seen before yet his management skills are questioned by some D-List Beauty Queen who was mayor to a small hamlet that was debt free when she took office and in the hole for 22 million and nearly recalled before she left office. As the Gov of Alaska she has done nothing more than skate with moxie while hypocritically doing such things as vetoing funds for teenage pregnant mothers......Don't mention the National Guard which is Federalized and not under her command as that lie continues to float.....All this woman has done is given you license to spew your hate without being hampered by your sheets. As for you misguided Black Republicans.....Harriet Tubman would have shot you.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 7 months ago

Godot 6 years, 7 months ago

dstavin, you should be asking Covenant House of Alaska to prove why it was worthy of millions of dollars of funding. Why did it need the 5 million? How many teenage mothers did it shelter? What were the qualifications of its employees? How were the funds spent? What educational opportunities were provided to the mothers? and, most importantly, why should unwed mothers be forced to live in a communal setting, overseen by the state?It is such a liberal tactic, to highlight a cause that they feel deserve funding, and to condemn government for not funding, without exploring why the funding was denied or why the funding was even deserved in the first place.

Deb Stavin 6 years, 7 months ago

On Palin and pregnant teens, from WASHINGTON MONTHLY:The Washington Post's Paul Kane reports that Sarah Palin, as governor, used a line-item veto to "slash funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a place to live."As it turns out, Alaskan lawmakers passed the state's budget, but Palin started taking out funding she found objectionable. In this case, she cut funding for Covenant House Alaska from $5 million to $3.9 million. The practical result, of course, is that fewer teen moms in Alaska would be eligible for shelters and educational programs.The obvious criticism, I suppose, is to relate this to Palin's own family, but there's a more important policy point to make here. TNR's Michelle Cottle explains the significance of Palin's position:I'm sorry, but a politician who opposes abortion even in cases of rape and incest and who opposes comprehensive sex education should be at the forefront of championing support systems that make it easier for young mothers to keep their babies.I would have assumed Palin herself felt this way. After all, she is a proud member of Feminists for Life, an anti-abortion nonprofit whose stated aim is to give women a real choice -- that is, to make certain that women faced with unplanned pregnancies have access to the information and support systems that will enable/encourage them not to have an abortion. Surely a program aimed at assisting the most desperate of young mothers -- those whose boyfriends aren't amenable to a shotgun wedding or who don't have a strong family support system -- would be something a pro-life feminist such as Palin would work to expand not destroy.Pro-life conservatives have for years faced accusations by abortion-rights activists that they only give a damn about a woman and her baby until the moment that baby is born. After that: Best of luck! Don't come looking to us for any help! Palin's rough handling of Passage House does nothing to combat that unfortunate image.I am curious what Palin knew about Covenant House Alaska before she cut its legislature-approved funding. If she ever submits to an interview, perhaps someone can ask her.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, Snap, I guess I just read into those images a little too much. They surely had nothing to do with playing on emotions of our fellow citizens who share this self-defined interpretation of what it is to be 'patriotic.' It's just sooo wholesome and righteous. It brings a proud tear to my eye.