Archive for Thursday, October 23, 2008

One person killed, two people injured in serious K10 accident

A two-car accident on the K-10 bypass turns deadly. Officers say say the man killed, a 21-year-old KU student, was driving on K-10 when he tried to pass another vehicle and hit a car head-on.

October 23, 2008, 1:45 p.m. Updated October 23, 2008, 11:53 p.m.

K10 accident kills 1, injures 2 others

Emergency crews work at the site of a fatal accident on Kansas Highway 10 between Kasold and Wakarusa drives. Enlarge video

Douglas County Fire and Medical personnel, with help from the Kansas Highway Patrol, work to extricate an injured person from a vehicle involved in a two-vehicle accident along Kansas Highway 10 between Kasold and Wakarusa drives on Thursday afternoon. One person was pronounced dead at the scene and two people were transported to area hospitals.

A LifeStar helicopter took one person to a Kansas City-area hospital after a two-vehicle accident on Kansas Highway 10 between Kasold and Wakarusa drives on Thursday afternoon. Another person was pronounced dead at the scene and a third victim was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Google Map

Deadly K10 accident

View Larger Map

One person was killed and two were injured after a serious accident on Kansas Highway 10 near Kasold Drive.

A 21-year-old Kansas University junior died in a two-car accident Thursday afternoon on Kansas Highway 10.

According to the Kansas Highway Patrol, about 1:40 p.m., James Harrison Keeton Jr. was driving a 2008 Ford Focus east on K-10, one mile west of Lawrence at milepost 3.5, and attempted to pass a black limousine on the two-lane highway. Keeton struck a 2003 Toyota Corolla, which was traveling west. Maria B. Thorson, 25, a KU doctoral student from Wisconsin, was test driving the Corolla. Her passenger, John Revenew, 56, was a salesman from Crown Automotive, according to Edna Buttler, KHP technical trooper.

Keeton died at the scene. Buttler said he was not wearing his seatbelt at the time of the accident.

Thorson was taken to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., by air ambulance. Her condition was not available Thursday evening. According to a Lawrence Memorial Hospital spokesman, Revenew was stabilized there and transferred to a trauma center. The spokesman did not have details on the trauma center.

Buttler said Thorson and Revenew were wearing their seatbelts.

Todd Cohen, Kansas University spokesman, said Keeton was a history and biology student from Wichita. Cohen said Thorson is in a prestigious graduate fellowship called the Self Fellowship. Cohen said KU's Counseling and Psychological Services will be offering services to those who need it.

A section of K-10 between Kasold and Wakarusa drives was closed at least two hours. Buttler said the accident is under investigation.

Comments

Clickker 6 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like the deceased was passing a limo, and wasnt paying attention. The poor girl was just out for a test drive.Good grief.

dolphins4321 6 years, 8 months ago

JourneyMan-I applaud you for what you did today! Most people just keep driving and don't even think about if someone may need help. You set aside your own fears and plans to help someone, to comfort them. I am sure that girl will never forget you! I know that it will be hard to get past but know that you are a hero in many peoples eyes! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well as the victims and their families!

sharper 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh no, my thoughts and prayers to all the families and friends of these people, and to journeyman.

justaverage 6 years, 8 months ago

Most traffic accidents are caused by driver error even in poor weather conditions. It is better to be late going somewhere than to not get there at all. As many bloggers have written, people need to OBEY the traffic laws and not take chances. Things happen very fast at 65+ miles per hour. Please be careful when driving a vehicle of any kind! My sympathy goes out to those involved in the accident and to the emergency personnel who have to respond and deal with a tragedy such as this.

sassafrass 6 years, 8 months ago

I am the woman in the accident's sister. I want to thank journeyman for helping my sister. I know my sister will greatly appreciate your help as well as my whole family. I know that I would want someone like you helping me. If there's any information you would like to share with my family please let me know. Thanks again.

proudmom06 6 years, 8 months ago

I am not trying to seem rude or out of place but do they release the names of the individuals? I am a KU student from Lawrence so I know many fellow students. Was the other driver older or younger himself? Do we know what kind of cars they were driving? My boyfriend died in a car wreck out by the east hills business park on K-10 right before Christmas 2 years ago. Everytime I have to get on that highway it scares me. I think that that highway has a lot of busy job commuters and college students who have exact times that they have to be somewhere so they rush vs like I-70 which is more for people who are driving through on a little bit longer trip so the rush is not as great. Thats just my opinion though.

Boeing 6 years, 8 months ago

Yikes! Stay safe folks. Seems like these nasty accidents come in spurts here in Lawrence. Not good...

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

I couldn't tell what the drivers who died age was. Your right about rushing around though. I quit speeding after 2 tickets this year. all I know is one of the cars got into the on coming lane.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 8 months ago

proudmom06: From the video, the two cars involved were a black Ford Focus and a gray/tannish Toyota Corolla.

Jaylee 6 years, 8 months ago

hopefully they dont post last weeks helicopter video haha jk LJW....i hope yall get some more info soon! it always sends my mind manic wondering if friends are ok when there are no immediate details.i think the gates of hell have opened on K10. this past week or two has been particularly horrible for accidents. and we dont even have snow or black ice yet!! i am NOT excited about driving to school this winter

maveric 6 years, 8 months ago

The K-10 accident is just west of the Walmart on south Iowa not out by Eudora by the way, infact its right out behind my house through the ole swamp water stuff out by the new softball fields, just to let ya know some are saying out by Eudora which is false statement. Just wanted to clear that up cuz I can see it south of my home

BeeBee3 6 years, 8 months ago

Nice grammar. Has sustained.In other news- be safe out there people! My prayers are with everyone involved- and their families.

proudmom06 6 years, 8 months ago

That is horrible! I wish I knew more information on the accident. Either way it's still sad. Life is so precious!

ksarmychick 6 years, 8 months ago

There is no cross intersection where the accident happened. It is about 1/2 west of E 1200 Rd on the map.

Unix_Admin 6 years, 8 months ago

What? Tom Shewman has no comment?? I thought he had an opinion on everything.

compmd 6 years, 8 months ago

After commuting on K10 today and coming home to read this article, I can honestly say that I no longer feel sorry for anyone who causes a wreck on that highway. I mean, I feel sorry for the true victims of wrecks, but those that cause wrecks due to their indifference and wanton disregard for their fellow man? I really don't care about how much they hurt or if they even survive. Call me insensitive, call me misanthropic, let loose your vitriolic tongues; I don't care. Seriously, how can you feel sorry for someone who disregards the value of your life and who doesn't care that their irresponsible actions could directly lead to killing you? I hope that some drivers out there manage to remove themselves from the population without taking some of us with them. For today, I'm talking to you, "Mr. late 90s Toyota Camry driver who thinks his car can handle a curve at 90 mph who made it into the median but somehow managed to recover and then pull up right behind me and tailgate me for a few miles because I was doing only 75 in the right lane." I think I am going to start a blog listing off the license plate numbers and vehicle descriptions of dangerous people during rush hour on K-10. Maybe public shame will help.

lunacydetector 6 years, 8 months ago

the first leg of the bypass was supposed to be 4 lanes then it got tied up in lawsuits, the money dwindled and we ended up with a super 2 lane.the blame needs to go to the people who fought this highway.

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 8 months ago

Journeyman - Was the woman you helped in the gray car or the black car? Do you know about the occupant of the black car? Does anyone know if the road is still shut down?

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

Journeyman,Not that you can probably say, so I will ask....is it near one of the intersections (at Wakarusa or the one near Kasold) or in between? if it was raining, maybe someone just lost control on the slippery road....We use that road pretty often, and try to remain cautious...probably a good thing you came along that road when you did to help out. Some of us wouldn't know what to do.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 8 months ago

Sad! Even worse that the person who died was so young. 2 lane highways are so dangerous--just like hwy 50 and all the accidents that have been fatal on that road.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 8 months ago

Get a life!Sebelius is too busy running all over the country campaigning. She has no time for Kansas.

Paula Kissinger 6 years, 8 months ago

mom_of_three (Anonymous) says"Not that I want to get into a debate, but I wonder if seatbelts were used." Gee, I don't know...1 person was ejected from the vehicle...what do you think ? And it really is irrelevant as the entire front of the cars were shoved in their laps and they (the living victims) had to be extracated from the vehicles...The problem is that people do not pay attention to driving while they are driving. They are talking on the phone or texting someone or looking around or having a conversation with another person in the vehicle or fooling around with their kids or their pets who are acting up in the vehicle. Care and caution while operating a motor vehicle seems to be second place to whatever the drivers are doing, which would NOT be driving appropriately.

hujiko 6 years, 8 months ago

GetItRight: There were some showers moving north on the extreme western edge of town, but not where this accident occurred, it is mot likely a fault of the driver, not weather conditions.

Fatty_McButterpants 6 years, 8 months ago

No, sorry, pitbull's are not illegal in Lawrence. Way to latch on to the media created hysteria though..."Pitbullgrandma" are you this rude to people that you meet in real life?

mistygreen 6 years, 8 months ago

Journeymanstation: Hats off to you for stopping and helping. I admire your bravery and courage to stop and provide comfort to someone suffering. My thoughts and prayers are with all the families. Some of the "posters" here should maybe keep this in mind as they are pointing fingers and making accusations about what caused the accident. These people that were behind the wheel of each car did not set out to be in a accident. They are already suffering enough, lets be respectful to those victims. Because you never know when a tragedy could happen to you. Final note: PBG-take a chill pill, you are way to angry.

pupndan 6 years, 8 months ago

You guys do a great job informing everyone. Keep up the good work.K10 is such a nice addition, so sorry for all the tragedies on it.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 8 months ago

Clickker 6 years, 8 months ago

Thank you Jouneyman. That was a real nice thing that you did.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

Ive thought about how the accident on 10 could have happened. It could of been the 30 mile hr. wind. Or maybe someone was distracted. I think most of the drivers out there do not take stupid risk. There are some who do, and yes I agree I dont feel much for them. There victims I feel sorry they were in the way. But you cant judge when you were not there. compmd

Alison Roberts 6 years, 8 months ago

Madcow, thats where I live too.... I'm pretty sure I know you :)If so...looks like we live in the same complex again!

Jaylee 6 years, 8 months ago

true that!!!honestly i have always enjoyed the 70mph stretch between lawrence and kansas city on 10, but how many more accidents will it take for lawmakers to realize the speed needs to be lowered?and i have a question. is the area this article refers to actually on k10 just outside of town where it loops around from iowa to clinton lake area and on, or was it on 23rd st?i dont think on 10, it is kasold dr, even through a sign indicates which direction to go to get to it.

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

I think it's 65 through there, if that is the K10 that goes around town. There is an intersection there that crosses K-10 and I always hoped no one would get in to an accident.I always try to be very careful on that road.So sad.....

Wendy magillicutty 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm friends with Stephanie Rush, the girl taken to OPRMC yesterday; does anyone have anymore news on her???

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

I should say Im sorry none2. I have had to deal with this all day. I guess you could imagine all the questions ive been asked. Plus the statement written ect.. Its no where near as a bad day the victims, family and friends are having. thanks for correcting me. My girlfriend will be here soon. I dont want to treat her like that. She saw enough as well. Again sorry for that none2

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 8 months ago

My sympathies to the families and I hope it not necessary to more families... I think there was another accident. I just saw two helicoters going toward the north like L M H-ly looking like they were coming from 59 HWY. I heard them a while ago too, probably going out there.Careful out there among the 'nglish, people.

KansasPerson 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh.... man....journeymanstation, that is too sad.I'm glad you were there to help (for her sake) but I'm very sorry for you and for her and for everyone.Let someone know if it's too much for you or if you need to talk. Okay?

Richard Heckler 6 years, 8 months ago

jayhawkerincali 6 years, 8 months ago

I saw that someone had suggested a cell phone ban.I live in LA, and since 7/1/08 the "hands free" law has been in effect, making it illegal to drive and talk. No one abides by it. I have a 30 mile daily commute, and I carpool with my roommate and every day I'm watching idiot drivers talking on their phone, driving like a moron. So while it sounds like a brilliant idea, it's highly ineffective for the most part, especially considering it's a $20 fine for being caught. Pointless.

GetItRight 6 years, 8 months ago

LJWorld, is it possible to include the time this accident happened, the road conditions and if it was near an intersection of another road, head-on etc?

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

Just because someone was ejected, doesn't mean seatbelts weren't used. it;s a logical question. Perhaps the others were extracated because seatbelts were used. Geeze, lots of grumpy people online today..

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

Clinton pkwy was open the cut of traffic at Kasold. I do not no about the west bound on k-10

maveric 6 years, 8 months ago

cthulhu_4_president (Anonymous) says:Sad tragedy. My thoughts to the deceased and injured person's families. Pitbull should find another thread to start fights on. .no PBG needs to have here account removed or blocked, she did this on the other k10 accident out by Eudora and its very disrespectful she is allowed to do this in a time of seriousness, infact allot of threads she has posted on, but all in all I am keeping the family in my prayers and thankful we have respectful people to stop and help someone out this is what AMERICA is about period. God bless these victims families AMEN

Curtis Lange 6 years, 8 months ago

LLSR1234: The article clearly states the accident was ON K-10 between Wakarusa and Kasold. A person that was even ON the scene reported the accident to be east of Kasold on K-10.

Jaylee 6 years, 8 months ago

and im more referring to east of town on the way to johnson county than the area this article's accident occured.

Paula Kissinger 6 years, 8 months ago

maveric (Anonymous) says: "The K-10 accident is just west of the Walmart on south Iowa not out by Eudora by the way, infact its right out behind my house through the ole swamp water stuff out by the new softball fields, just to let ya know some are saying out by Eudora which is false statement."Learn to read what is posted. Nobody said that THIS accident was out by Eudora.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 8 months ago

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of all those involved. I can't believe how many wrecks have been on K-10 this week.

madcow 6 years, 8 months ago

I live near the intersection at 27th street and saw the mobile blood-alcohol testing unit heading towards the scene. :(

madcow 6 years, 8 months ago

"I'd suggest Governor Sebelius assign a larger contingency of state troopers to K-10 permanently and cut the speed on the western leg to 55 mph."merrill, I take that highway almost every day. There are already a lot of troopers on that highway, I see a lot more there than anywhere else. Honestly the main problem I see on that road is that people go too slow. The speed limit is 65, and a lot of people end up going 45-50. It seems like every day I am stuck behind someone going 10-15 under while bringing home dinner. As we learned in drivers ed, going 10 miles under is as much of a road hazard as going 10 over. People get frustrated and do stupid things.

maveric 6 years, 8 months ago

Fatty_McButterpants (Anonymous) says:"Pitbullgrandma" are you this rude to people that you meet in real life?more than like she is, I watch her post on here allot and she is really selfish and rude to allot of people, so with that saying I bet she is

maveric 6 years, 8 months ago

from reports I have heard on my police scanner more and more accidents are being accused of cell phones, well I think its time the city, government and so on step up and push a law they tried to do not long ago to ban cell phone use while driving, maybe even put a $150-$500 fine when caught, I have personally been passed on that part of k10 with my kids in the car of some dumb a** fool passing me talking on a cell phone and that person was nearly hit head on by an oncoming car, the basic reality is folks drop the GOD damn cell phone and pay more attention to the road, if you don't believe me go to the court house and check the records yourself and you will see the results, my sister-in-law works there and we talk about it all the time, records don't lie, sure when you git in an accident do you have time to hang up ur cell phone LMAO NOOOOOO

maveric 6 years, 8 months ago

Anonymous userrachaelisacancer (Anonymous) says:Maveric -Do you know if it's just shut down near the crash or if it's shut down all the way back to the Clinton Lake exit? I take I-70 home from Lawrence and then K-10 to Iowa then through the Wetlands since I'm living on the 31st/Haskell side of town.I'd like to know if I can take Clinton Pkwy in or if I'm going to have to stay on I-70 until the east Lawrence exit. I'm also really directionally challenged, in case anyone cares to know.from what was said 10 mins ago the road is open

Paula Kissinger 6 years, 8 months ago

merrill (Anonymous) says: "I'd suggest Governor Sebelius assign a larger contingency of state troopers to K-10 permanently and cut the speed on the western leg to 55 mph."ROFL !!! Troopers don't work in town ! They are called to "work" the accidents on highways...like 59 Hwy and K-10. What we need is for the S.O. to start camping deputies out on K-10, etc., and "observe". Having 4 accidents on any stretch of K-10 in less than a week is too much !

maveric 6 years, 8 months ago

Jaylee (Anonymous) says: and i have a question. is the area this article refers to actually on k10 just outside of town where it loops around from iowa to clinton lake area and on, or was it on 23rd stAnonymous userPitBullGrandma (Anonymous)Learn to read what is posted. Nobody said that THIS accident was out by Eudora.yo illegal pitbullgrandma, yes pits are illegal in LAWRENCE I was answering the question by jaylee for your information you fool, learn to read yourself fool geesh you need some glasses I buy ya a pair idiot

notajayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

merrill (Anonymous) says: "I'd suggest Governor Sebelius assign a larger contingency of state troopers to K-10 permanently and cut the speed on the western leg to 55 mph."Gee, there's a shock.

Jaylee 6 years, 8 months ago

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

Divided hwys do work. The traffic fatalities have gone down on almost every Hwy that has been constructed that way. They will not stop them all. Do you not read, or try to learn about things before you speak. Im sure my thoughts are with them, and family I was there. Were you there. Did you try to take part in helping them. I would say your ignorant none2. You speak, and have no idea what your speaking about. The sad part about that is you do not even know how ignorant you are.

justicelyric 6 years, 8 months ago

Pitbull granny, you are wrong. Troopers can work in town and they enforce traffic laws all the time within the city. If an accident occurs on a state highway they are usually the ones to investigate it, provided they are in the area. Troopers are state wide and most are assigned several counties to cover during their shift. That is why sometimes you have deputies are working the accidents on state highways.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 8 months ago

llsr1234: How so? That is the general area of this accident.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 8 months ago

Jaylee-It's on K10. I'm working on a map as we speak.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

Paula Kissinger 6 years, 8 months ago

maveric (Anonymous) says: "yo illegal pitbullgrandma, yes pits are illegal in lawrence i was answering the question by jaylee for your information you fool, learn to read yourself fool geesh you need some glasses I buy ya a pair idiot"Such a shame that individuals with such low IQ's and lack of information are allowed to spew on this board. PitBulls (breed specific) are NOT illegal in Lawrence...try providing us with the city ordinance that prohibits them. Better yet, your time would be better spent taking some English classes so you could learn how to properly read, interpret what you've read and write coherently.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

The person who was ejected was not using a seat belt. The guy who died I couldn't even tell if the seat belt was on. He was almost in the back seat of the car. In fact they tried to remove him through the back door. The girl I was trying to help had her seat belt on. I will tell you something after seeing the car she was driving. I was amazed she was even able to speak. Her pour legs were crushed. I didn't stick around when they started to cut up the car. I didn't want to see the damage to her lower extremities. You couldn't see them when you were right next to the car. The dash, steering wheel, and the firewall were laid over her legs. So much so the seat was pushed down and forward. She kept saying she couldn't feel her legs.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 8 months ago

GetItRight-When we know, you'll know. The accident happened 50 minutes ago.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

Not that I want to get into a debate, but I wonder if seatbelts were used. People can make that choice not to use them, but it would be an example to young drivers of what could happen.With that sad, I feel for the young woman that journeyman helped, and with the families of the victims. I know how hard it is to lose someone in an accident.

thomgreen 6 years, 8 months ago

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I have always felt safer on K-10 than I have on I-70. Aside from that, my thoughts go out to the families that are going to be impacted by this tragedy.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

Im fine I have seen worse in the navy. I was also a law enforcement in Nevada. I am somewhat used to seen this sort of thing.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 8 months ago

That is terrible. :( Thankfully you were there to comfort her!

hujiko 6 years, 8 months ago

gosh, this got really sad really fast.

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

thanks for the info journeyman....what a dreadful accident.... not placing blame by any means, but hope they can figure out what caused it so the rest of us can take needful precautions in the future. thinking of the families and victims and hope everything works out for them...

Paula Kissinger 6 years, 8 months ago

Info ? The World company has not even mentioned that another one of the victims from the K-10 (Eudora) accident a few days ago died yesterday (from reliable source). It was not mentioned either in the paper or on channel 6. And you want info about an accident that is still being worked, where one of the victims was just a few minutes ago extracated from a vehicle. You must be kidding !

hujiko 6 years, 8 months ago

the part of k10 where the accident occurred is the completed part of the slt, it remains two lanes until the project is okayed and completed.

Jaylee 6 years, 8 months ago

maveric (Anonymous) says: " well I think its time the city, government and so on step up and push a law they tried to do not long ago to ban cell phone use while driving, maybe even put a $150-$500 fine when caught"wooooooooooah there tiger!! i could be convinced that cell phones impede driving. but i dont enjoy the thought of law enforcement having one more zany reason to pull me over, then keep me there for a while cause i have long hair and wearing a hemp necklace. ive only been pulled over once since i cut my hair off, but i could keep an officer busy for an hour with my curiously hippie looks. and have. and its not like they feel like an *ss at all when they cant find anything to pin on you after having kept you there that long.lets just lower the limit a little. or like merrill said, increase the numbers of enforcement officers out there.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 8 months ago

These having nothing to do with the speed limits; more due to driver error.That is a extremely straight stretch of road that the article refers to. Someone run another stop sign at the cross intersection? Either way, I'll be praying for all their families. :(

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 8 months ago

Maveric - Do you know if it's just shut down near the crash or if it's shut down all the way back to the Clinton Lake exit? I take I-70 home from Lawrence and then K-10 to Iowa then through the Wetlands since I'm living on the 31st/Haskell side of town. I'd like to know if I can take Clinton Pkwy in or if I'm going to have to stay on I-70 until the east Lawrence exit. I'm also really directionally challenged, in case anyone cares to know.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

Johnathan I may not have been right on it being her boyfriend. Listing to the victim at the seen you would have to make judgments that may not be right. If it wasn't her boyfriend I hope they find out who it was, and contact his family. I used to get responses like that when I worked law enforcement. I really do not get upset. Bad things happen in moments. You have seconds to make assessments. you then make decisions. Its one way humans are flawed. So I stand corrected, and Im glad it wasn't your friend. I hope you were able to get in touch with family of the passenger

hujiko 6 years, 8 months ago

I saw a few emergency vehicles flying down Iowa, guess this explains it. Hope everyone turns out alright.

LLSR1234 6 years, 8 months ago

nope, that only shows how k10 connects to kasold. the accident was reported on 27th, between waka and kasold. the map shows the wrong place.granted, I can drag the map over to the actual location, which is a nice trick LJW, but I perfer to point out the obvious whenever I can.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 8 months ago

journeyman-FYI, I've had contact with a friend of the victim. The person says the boyfriend was not actually involved. In an abundance of caution and not wanting to concern family members, I've taken your comment down. I hope you understand my thought process.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

wordsofwisdom 6 years, 8 months ago

by Erin CastanedaThursday, 23 October 2008Law enforcement reportCondition Reports¢ The condition of Errin Lang, the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident that killed a Eudora woman Monday, has improved, according to her father, Ron Lang, of Lawrence. Thursday afternoon he said she was in a more stable condition at St. Luke's Hospital. A spokeswoman at the hospital could not provide any information about Lang's condition. On Wednesday, Ryan Martinez, Lang's passenger, was in good condition at Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. A hospital official couldn't confirm his condition Thursday.Post a comment

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

That part of 10 is 2 lanes they are not separated by a divider, or median. It is 55 mph. in that stretch of 10. you could make it a 4 lane separated hwy. Like the rest of 10 is

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

It was on 10. I left the rotary gardens heading east on 10. When the accident happened. I was the third vehicle. to reach the accident. Its sad to know that the lives of the three people, friends, and family of the three will be changed. It was a horrible sight. Then to find out she was a grad student at KU. I hated I couldn't do anything for her other than watch and hold her neck, and head. I did try to comfort her. I got her to talk about other things. Until the fire dept. could get her out. I knew it was going to take time for them to arrive. She couldn't rember much. I know I wouldn't want that memory. I hope she, and the passenger recover. I would like to see her on campus. Knowing her life will continue towards the goals she had set for herself. I hope the same for the passenger. although I doubt I would recognize them.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

The people that fight or argue things like this do not think of things like this happening. They get a cause they believe in, and do not think about the whole picture. Do you think they will be up tonight thinking that could be a family, or friend that happened to. I doubt it

black_butterfly 6 years, 8 months ago

My condolences and prayers go out to the famlies. It's sad that he didn't have a seat belt on. He may have been running late for class or work. That is a dangerous highway and vision is limited in some spots. We all need to slow down a little, myself included. I'd rather be late than dead. This should be a wake up call for all.

Joe Hyde 6 years, 8 months ago

Not saying it was the cause, or even a factor, in this accident but...For people who drive on K-10 Highway east of Lawrence, once you get on the south/west K-10 stretch (SLT) your mind can play tricks on you. The SLT section of K-10 looks exactly like a divided 4-lane highway, except the other 2 lanes haven't been built? Because you're doing 65-mph it's all to easy to put your mind in "divided 4-lane mode" and pass vehicles ahead of you thinking the outer lane is all yours and that you have all the time in the world to get around the the car ahead.This exact thing happened to me last year, and at night, when a vehicle overtaking me began a leisure passing maneuver. The passing car was right beside me, barely making progress. An oncoming car was in the other lane, closing fast. I went to the road shoulder to escape, the passing vehicle moved into the lane I'd just vacated, and we all came within just a few feet of having a 3-car head-on collision (two cars going west, one east).Sounds impossible, I know, but on that 2-lane stretch of K-10 this sort of "Not 4-lanes? Oops!" driver error happens more often than we realize.

RockTheHotBox 6 years, 8 months ago

I didn't know James very well but I have met him a few times and have had a number of conversations with him. I am deeply saddened that I will never have the chance again. I assure you he was not a "prick" as journeymanstation guessed in his previous response. I understand the assumption given what journeymanstation went through yesterday but am also saddened to know that this assumption is being made. I saw James an hour or so before the accident yesterday. I was busy, flustered and distracted when he stopped in to say hello to me. He was such a nice kid and made me laugh every time I talked to him. I now wish I'd have spent a little more time talking to him. I could tell he was tired. He said he'd been working and studying a lot. He'd had a frustrating day on Wednesday and then started off yesterday by running behind. He was exhausted, rushed and just trying his best to get through the day. I'm certain most of us have made poor decisions while driving. James was not an arrogant thrill seeker or someone who would try to look cool by passing someone on the road. James was someone who was most likely running behind and nervous about the repercussions of being late to his destination. It probably never even crossed his mind that this could happen. I assure you, had any of you met James, he would have won you over within minutes. My heart is truly broken over this and I cannot even begin to imagine what the families and friends of the people involved are going through right now. Miss Thorson was lucky to have journeymanstation there for her. Most people would have kept driving. My thoughts and prayers are with all involved. This is all so unbelievable.

Judgesmails 6 years, 8 months ago

cheeseburger (Anonymous) says: journeymanstation - while your assistance at the scene was likely greatly appreciated, some of your remarks afterward are not, including your most recent 8:00 post.___agreed. i was going to commend you for your act but that post was uncalled for.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 8 months ago

Okay... I dont think that stretch of k-10 has EVER "played tricks on me" its pretty much a straight 2-lane highway and if he was trying to pass the limo he should have seen the car coming at him. I tend to take precautions on 2-lane highways because I am used to driving on Hwy 50 to go visit my parents--that is a scary road.People get in such a hurry and just make bad decisions and its sad that it had to end this way.

Minnesota 6 years, 8 months ago

To all of you out there... specifically COMPMD and CLICKKER... Ever think that maybe the people who knew the person who died are grieving too? That those people will miss this poor young man. It was an accident. YOU could cause an accident too by writing down those license plates, compmd. No one deserves to die, and no one has the right to decide who dies and who doesn't. I feel absolutely terrible for the young woman out for a test drive, my heart goes out to her family. I will pray that she recovers and can forgive the young man who hit her. But his life is over, done, I believe that is the final and worst punishment anyone could ever receive. He doesn't deserve to be put down anymore, he no longer gets to wake up in the morning, or go to class or see his friends. The simple things we all take for granted. I agree SLOW down and buckle up. Life is precious, we can not take it for advantage. Please do me a favor and be respectful to everyone including the families, friends and everyone involved with this accident.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

I would have tried to assist Jim as well. His car was the first one I approached. I have seen many crashes, and other horrible things. I knew he was dead, or most likely going to die. I choose to try to help one of the other two. If he had looked as if he was going to have a chance I would of stayed with Jim. I still say why would you not choose the ditch over hitting another vehicle. That was a conscious choice Jim made. Also He choose to rush ahead of another vehicle. If he was tired, and distracted. Jim should have chosen to drive defensively. Also the weather conditions sucked. I didn't know Jim I feel for his family. Not only is Jim death tragic. The family, and friends know his last moment he hurt two other people

Steve Jacob 6 years, 8 months ago

Very sorry for the loss. What happens on those two lane highways are like the ones I drive, on 59? to Ottawa, and 24 going to north Topeka. You need to drive those a lot to know where the good places to pass, because the signs and the lines are not perfect.

Danimal 6 years, 8 months ago

What's really crazy is that more people have been killed on the roads around Lawrence in the last few weeks than in the war in Iraq. What a horrible run we're having here in NEKS. I passed the fatality accident on K10 yesterday just as they were getting it all sorted out. I can't even remember who many fatality traffic accidents we've had in the last two weeks. This is just terrible.

Jaylee 6 years, 8 months ago

just tonight my friend messed up his explorer and i had to give him a ride to work tonight cause somebody pulled out in front of the car in front of him on iowa street to turn onto stratford. three car accident and his car was totalled and got towed to his driveway.once again i am not looking forward to this winter driving season!

costello 6 years, 8 months ago

"':Twenty-four [1984] years ago an acquaintance of mine was killed in an auto accident at 10th and Kentucky:'========================="When I was young back then, I probably didn't pay any attention to bad local news. If I had, I would have known about this accident as I lived off 14th. Perhaps that is part of the problem when we are young, we don't think about how easy it is do be killed."Indeed. I wouldn't have noticed either if I hadn't gone to high school with the victim. I do remember how forcibly it hit me that I was mortal and could be dead tomorrow. The man who died was a larger-than-life type with a big voice and a love of life. It was hard to imagine him dead.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

biggunz Im guessing by the name you have a small view of yourself. I never said i have done everything, or seen it all. Why would you say that. sounds like you haven't meet your expectations for yourself. No I have seen everything, or done everything. I will keep trying to do as much as I can in life though. You never know when life will end. So go out, and do things you want to accomplish. My day job ? Im a full time student again. So I can accomplish another thing I want to do in life.

Glen Moore 6 years, 8 months ago

I understand that at a higher rate of speed you are much more likely to have a fatality in a car accident than at a lower rate of speed. Think about it,..... Talking on the cell phone, not wearing your seatbelt, passing cars, weather conditions, and just not paying attention while driving, these are the real causes of fatalities not the speed. Having an accident at 55 is just as deadly as 70 if your not looking at the road and hit a truck head on. simply put. PAY ATTENTION AND LIVE. I have driven down K-10 for 13 years for work and doing every bit of the speed limit and possible a little more at times and I'm capable of pointing this out to whom ever is willing to read and then complain. Don't push for changes of the speed limit thats absurd all that does is make people rush even more when they get behind its a fact. Instead lets give our condolances to the families of those lost in accidents all over the state. K-10, US 59 are US 24 these are roads that are often pointed out as "dangrous" roads. Hang up, put your seatbelt on, pay attention and live.

costello 6 years, 8 months ago

"I still say why would you not choose the ditch over hitting another vehicle. That was a conscious choice Jim made. Also He choose to rush ahead of another vehicle. If he was tired, and distracted. Jim should have chosen to drive defensively."Well, it sounds to me like it all happened pretty quickly. I doubt if he deliberated on the matter then decided to hit a car rather than drive into a ditch. If he was tired and distracted, he probably wasn't at his best, and he reacted badly or too slowly. I know I'm clumsy and muddle-headed when I'm tired or sleepy. He probably shouldn't have been driving while tired and distracted, but most of us have done that.I'm confused about why you keep calling him "Jim." The article calls him "James." And the only poster here who seems to know him calls him "James."I have a lot of compassion for this young man - and for his family. I have one son a few years younger and another a few years older. In fact this morning I dragged my older son out of bed at 5 am after he'd stayed up until 2 am studying and sent him off to work. His employer sent him back home because he was too tired to be there. So he drove back and forth to Ottawa this morning while sleepy. I also know he drives too fast.Mr. Keeton is not the first young man to burn his candle at both ends. And he's not the first to drive a little too aggressively. He made a fatal mistake yesterday. I don't think that tells us anything about his character. It just tells us he was young and inexperienced and overconfident.Twenty-four years ago an acquaintance of mine was killed in an auto accident at 10th and Kentucky. He was 23, just started law school, just married. It was Super Bowl Sunday, and he had just left church. A young woman failed to stop at a stop sign, rammed the side of his car, throwing him out and killing him almost instantly. If he'd had his seatbelt on, he'd have walked away with a few scratches. I was 22 at the time, and it made a huge impression on me. I have never ridden in a car without a seatbelt since that day. And it's saved my life at least once.Maybe someone will learn something from this accident which will save his or her life some day. Slow down. Pass with care. Wear your seatbelt. Don't drive tired.

Clickker 6 years, 8 months ago

I know there have been times when I passed people on that same road ( with no real risk of hitting an oncoming car) when the car I was passing actually SPED up a little, just to make my passing a little more difficult. This has happened quite a few times, and I can only assume it didnt happen in this case. I think what Journey is talking about is to ditch your passing attmpt, or speed up to make the pass.....and if the vehicle you are passing "races" you...disaster.I'm sure that didnt happen here. I dont think anyone really knows.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

Even if the limo driver was going under the speed limit. He would have had to excessed the posted speed to get around the limo. Then Jim in is irritation didn't give right away. He could of choose the ditch. Saving others from wrecking. But no he choose to try, and do something stupid. trying to save his car. His time, and car were worth more to him. Than the other persons on the road that day. I was the third car behind the wreck. The limo was going the same speed as I. Other wise I would have gained on limo. So do not guess what Jim was doing. Is Jim going to help the people he hurt. No he is dead, and his last act was not caring for others. I do not know him but the one act I saw him do was selfish. Sounds like a prick

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes speed does matter when its a 2 lane road that undivided. Its 65 mph there. that means there closing speed was at least 170 mph. At 55 mph it would be a closing speed of 110 mph. thats a 60 mph in difference in there closing speed. since the one car was trying to pass some one. The closing speed was most likely higher than that. What would help is a 4 lane divided hwy. most of k- 10 is built that way. It would reduce the accidents in that area of k-10. I was also there I was the third car back from the accident. It was a careless decision made by one driver. That driver died for that decision. Maria and the passenger were the victims.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

I sat with maria holding her head straight and stable. While we waited for the fire dept. get there. I knew she was hurting. Anxious about being trapped in her car. She would let me know she didn't rember anything. I wanted to get her to stop talking, or thinking about the accident. So I got her on other subjects. I got her to tell me someone's phone# she knew. I tried to call it to let them know what happened. i left a message for Maria. I figured she was from Wisc. by the area code. I told I was born, and raised there. We talked about her going to KU, and what she was doing there. I told her I would see her on campus. During all of this police were arriving on seen. the fire dept. arrived with cutters to get Maria out. I was able to leave before she got out. i didn't want to see her lower extremities. The whole front of the car was folded over her.. I am glad to know she and the other guy are alive. I hope to see her on campus.

MaryKatesPillStash 6 years, 8 months ago

Interestingly enough, none2, Journeymanstation says that he has seen this kind of "seen" several times, so he in fact did not get emotional from it. But he still had enough emotion in him to call a dead man a prick.

mistygreen 6 years, 8 months ago

why don't we all just back off of journeymanstation. He has been through a nightmare as well as the victims and families. Maybe we could all just FOCUS on the postive things he did and just let the other go. It is easy for us to jump on him for his comment, but really in the whole scheme of things does that make any difference? NO-jumping all over him and making comments will not change what has happened. So please just let it go.

mistygreen 6 years, 8 months ago

Costello: "It just tells us he was young and inexperienced and overconfident. I agree with you. I also want to add it does not make James a bad person as others seem to be saying here. He was a son, brother, boyfriend, friend. It is unfortunate that he made a fatal mistake. I have two children ages 23 & 20, and I know that my kids are good drivers but there are times where lack of experience could cause them to panic while behind the wheel. I've warned them repeatedly to pay attention to the road, not to exceed the speed limit, not to text message, or talk on the cell phone. I cannot ride with them all the time, but I hope that my voice has gotten through to them. Finally, I admit I've had close calls and also made some bad driving choices. I've been lucky that no accidents resulted. But I have learned from those experiences and have become a more patient driver, even when I'm late and running behind. I've learned a long time ago that arriving late is better than not arriving at all. Again, my thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims and their families. Their lives have been changed forever.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

Incurring an injury upon another person is still a crime. When that person knowingly breaks a law. Not yielding the right of way is a traffic crime. Not yielding right of way, and causing a death or injury is involuntary man slaughter. So james james james being a nice guy matters not. He would be responsible for the 2 other victims. who were not sighted in your post. were they nice, and kind ect... Also he could have gone to the ditch. That would have only involved his car. He didn't do that did he. He choose to take the chance with everyones life. He choose to try to make it back to his lane. Why do you think he would choose that course of action. than taking the ditch. You cant answer really it would speculation. I am sure its probably the easy answere though. He didn't want to risk the car he was driving. my opinion

lawrence4308 6 years, 8 months ago

Is there a reason why you keep calling him Jim?????? His name is James. James. James. James. No one called him Jim. He went by James. And he was a nice, sweet, shy, and kind person. He would never, ever have intentionally hurt anyone.

mistygreen 6 years, 8 months ago

journeymanstation, I was pulling for you. Still admire what you did, but you obviously have some emotions connected to this, whether you admit it or not. What I think is trying to be said is to have some compassion. Nothing can change what happened. But reading your comments, I have no difficulty believing you were once in law enforcement. You seem to have a very bitter attitude that comes from seeing a lot of tradegy.

Shardwurm 6 years, 8 months ago

When my children were babies (early 90s) I began clipping articles out of tragic accidents like this. I particularly paid attention to teenage drivers.I put all of these clippings in a folder and on their 15th birthday when they got their license I made them sit down and read each article. I then made them calculate how old each of the victims would be if they had lived. So far I've been fortunate...but I believe it really made an impression on them about how fragile this existance is. Just a technique I thought I would share.My condolences to all involved.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

I have seen bad things happen. I choose to work law enforcement in my past. Also was navy SWCC for a bunch of years. So I have seen enough things happen. Am I wrong to believe even a person who has expired is still be responsible for their actions. Do I morn for the relative of mine who killed himself, and another person. He was intoxicated at the time. No I am not. I would even go to his funeral. My relative got of easy by dying. He never had to take responsibility for his crime. Driving recklessly is a crime. Even if Jim was doing the speed limit. The road conditions were terrible. So I am not in favor of giving Jim a Break. Thats what Jim should have been doing yesterday

redmorgan 6 years, 8 months ago

Geez, this is just so awful. It's sobering to think how quickly life can be snuffed out. Just yesterday, this person was alive and breathing...so young, so sad. I feel so badly for his family, especially with the holidays right around the corner. Has anyone heard how the other two who survived are doing? I sure hope they will be ok.

Alwaysajayhawk24 6 years, 8 months ago

"journeymanstation (Anonymous) says:misty you can go into the Las Vegas review journal, and see articles in jan. 2005, and see a shooting I was involved in. I lost my partner. was shot myself. Two of the offenders I shot died. Marcus Tillman got away, and was latter captured. Were still going threw court with Him."------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I call BS. The first police officer shot in killed in the line of duty in 17 years happened in FEBRUARY of 2006! It was in response to a domestic dispute and involved ONE suspect who was later shot and killed by police. That suspect's name was Amir Rashid Crump. http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Feb-02-Thu-2006/news/5675972.htmlAt this point I wouldn't believe anything journeymanstation says or incorrectly spells.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 8 months ago

LIke I said before with other wrecks, please don't use this article to voice your opinion or your beliefs if it reflects anyone involved in a negative manner. There's plenty of other articles that you can make your point on, try a seat belt safety article, speeding laws, etc. shoot, post your own blog about it but please have some respect for ALL involved. I know it's freedom of speech but I promise you you're hurting and upsetting more people then you are helping.

thatguythere 6 years, 8 months ago

Well James Keeton happened to be one of my very good friends, and for you to be calling him a prick reveals a shallownesss of character I didn't even imagine was possible. I can promise you that if given the choice of saving the lives of everyone, including his own, and trashing his car, he would have wrecked that car 100 times out of 100, no question. I reject the notion that he chose to die and injure anyone else out of pure selfishness for his car. I can't even believe this news, and my heart breaks for everyone involved, as well as the families.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

Im sure He was a nice guy. Alot of people have said he was in his defense. Yesterday he chose wrong. Sorry for your lose. Im sorry for the lose of his family. It still doesn't take away the fact he chose to pass when the lane wasn't clear. The weather was bad. We had high winds, rain and limited visibility. Was where James was going that important. Its also those choices James made will effect other people. really those people will be affected the rest of their lives by this. Did you know Maria was a grad student. Doing a fellowship. Have you asked yourself how would that affect you in that same situation. Did James deserve to die no. The facts are he was responsible for his actions. Those actions hurt more than the people in the accident. I will not condone a crime. Even a traffic one. especially when other people are hurt.

mistygreen 6 years, 8 months ago

journeymanstation: sorry for the loss of your partner. Law enforcement is always a thankless job. But it does give me insight to how you approach things and how you are conditioned. I believe your actions from yesterday have been appreciated and mentioned several times on the board. I will continue to express my appreciation and I hope that if I or my family is ever in need that someone like you will provide help and comfort. I'm not going to dispute occurring or inflicting injury is not a crime, but I would have to evaluate the intent of the person that inflicts the injury. Again, I'm not a legal expert, just a mom that could see how my kids would think in that situation. That being said, the kid was in a hurry, tried to pass someone realized he was in trouble and according to you tried to get back in his lane. I have to think that this kid was scared "**tiles" and panicked as to how to avoid a collision. Due to the young age and not having many years of driving experience, I could see why he would make that choice. Not that I agree with the choice, but he has probably never had been in that type of situation before, and was in panic mode. I'm sorry that you see this kid as reckless and selfish. I hope that maybe you could open your mind to another rational.

journeymanstation 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe out of all of this someone could start a awareness group. School is tuff we are all stressed, and in a hurry. I know I am out driving tired, I have been speeding this year. In fact I got to tickets for it. I slowed down after the second. I make sure I take the time to get places. Maybe this will be a wake up for everyone. I also would like to see the state wake up from this, and finish dividing k-10. The state has some responsibility in this as well. k-10 could have been finished along time ago.

LeahLo 6 years, 8 months ago

James was a coworker and friend of mine. I just saw him alive and well a few days ago, being his usual upbeat and friendly self. What happened to him is a terrible tragedy and I must say, I am very offended by some of the comments that have been made about the mistake that he made. He was 21 years old, kind, funny, intelligent...and apparently in a hurry in the wrong place at the wrong time and now he's dead. And every time something like this happens, everyone says, "Let them be an example"...an example of what? The cold fact that life is short? Because even if you drive defensively your whole life, there are still going to be aggressive people on the road and there are still going to be fatal accidents that are absolutely no one's fault. James didn't want to die. And he didn't want to hurt anyone else. He made a mistake in a split second and it cost him his life. To call anyone a "prick" when you're speaking ill of the dead is just absurd and you should be ashamed of yourself. Because what does it matter now? Nothing.He was greatly loved and will be greatly missed.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 8 months ago

What was the topic of this article again?

mltetbnc 6 years, 8 months ago

My thoughts and prayers are with James' family. I worked with James and he was wonderful. Always a smile and hi. This will leave a hole in my heart.

Glen Moore 6 years, 8 months ago

2 years a go I was on my way to Topeka following a red Chevy Caviler on 40 hwy. This guy was drunk and all over the road I followed at a safe distance (slower than normal) but could not call anyone to complain because my cell phone batterie was dead. I watched this guy all the way down 40 hwy run several people off the road. Just past Big Springs going up the hill in front of a farm house I watched this guy hit an F-150 at 65mph I believe faster than posted. There was not a chance for him. I helped pull the guy in the F-150 out and divert traffic until the sheriff and rescue could respond. I believe at even 50 mph this guy would not have made it. Its hard to pull out after being tucked under your dash. The one thing I can not get out of my mind is the empty beer cans and bottles of alcohol pulled out of this guys car and... the stuffed animal. This guy had kids and now they don't have a dad. Make smart choices and change a life. All it takes is a blink of an eye. I am not trying to offend anyone this is tragic and we have had 2 deathes this week on a stretch of road called K-10. It saddens me to think of the pain caused by both these accidents. Lets take 1 thing from these tragidies. Pay attention. We take a risk every day getting behind the wheel and put our lives in the other drivers hands. Lets hope you or I never make a life changing mistake.

Sagecasey 6 years, 8 months ago

journeyman, I appreciate your stopping to help. Yet, you can't know for sure what was going on with James's driving ability. I think that through your years of service in law enforcement that you have lost your ability to judge situations impartially. James may have been one the passing the limo, but it doesn't mean that the car in the other direction wasn't speeding. I agree with your statement about James being "in a hurry", but please tell me how you know that for a fact. We all make bad decisions in our lifetime, but unfortunately, some decisions have far worse and tragic consequences. IF and I reiterate IF James was in a hurry that arriving 5 minutes earlier to a destination does not equate to never reaching that destination due to tragedy. I am so sorry for your loss to James's family and friends. May peace be with you and may you remember the years that you had with him and treasure his memory. I say this not because I knew James, but the majority of us have had someone who has passed. I have laughed and cried, not only in sadness for the loss, but in the joy of the times that become quickly cherished because we never have another again on this Earth. Please cherish James for his good qualities and do not admonish for his bad ones, because we all have both. God Bless You James and a speedy and God Blessed recovery to Maria and John.

proudmom06 6 years, 8 months ago

As I read these posts looking at everyones comments it almost makes me ill to see what people are saying about Jim. Even journeyman, though I applaud you for being there for him (my boyfriend was in a fatal wreck out by the east hills business park 2 years ago and if no one stopped to help him who saw the actual wreck, who knows what would have happened because he was down in a deep ravene and out of site from the highway), but it is wrong of you to say that he deserved to die because he made a mistake. I totally agree that he could have made other decisions, but you were not in his shoes and in his mind at that exact moment. No one knows why he did the things that he did at that very moment except him. He is now paying the price for his mistake so let it rest in peace with him. I pray for Maria and I realize that it is not tair to her. We all have to realize the sad fact that everytime we get in the car or everything we strap our children in the car seat we are all at the same risk for something horrible like this to happen. Even if you are the best driver there is. It takes only someone elses simply mistake to take your life. Life is precious and I pray that he may be at peace and the other 2 recover fully. I think they have the city's prayers with them right now.

Tongie_soccer 6 years, 8 months ago

I don't generally post comments but have been sitting here reading all these comments attacking someone who took time to help another person and am pretty annoyed by people's obvious lack of understanding. I say shame on all of you. Unless you are now or have ever been an emergency responder you can't possibly understand the need to decompress after seeing such tragedy caused by such stupidity (and nice, loving or not what that young man did can only be classified as such). My husband is a firefighter and has seen terrible accidents over and over again - he is pretty use to this stuff as well - but he still needs to come home every time and talk about what happened (children with broken backs who weren't in car seats just seatbelts, beheaded motorcyclist who were driving recklessly, trapped people burning up in cars because they could not get there in time - the list goes on). If you think you could witness stuff like that and what was seen in this accident without needing to talk about it then you are the most insensitive heartless person on the planet. Thank you to every single person who stops and gives comfort to others until emergency personel can arrive.

Clickker 6 years, 8 months ago

Where did James work?I'm sure he will be missed there.

yankeevet 6 years, 8 months ago

What is the condition of the car salesman that was in this wreck; does anyone know?

Clickker 6 years, 8 months ago

I imagine, Tongie, that it would be pretty tough

marias_aunt 6 years, 8 months ago

Thanks to all who are praying for Maria, she's in very bad shape. I'm anxiously waiting for an email update regarding her second surgery. I'm in Wisconsin and don't know much about the stretch of highway, but I do know this is tragic. A special thank you to those that helped Maria. Our prayers go out to James' family, as well as John's family. I haven't heard any updates on John, but pray and hope he's doing well. Maria has a long road ahead of her to recover. God willing, she will recover fully.

marias_aunt 6 years, 8 months ago

Maria's second surgery went well. I haven't heard much more and she is still in rough shape. She will have many weeks in the hospital. Keep praying.

hedshrinker 6 years, 8 months ago

Crisis debriefing is an important process for both professionals and bystanders, whether it's in a formal group or individually with yr own clergy /shrink, etc. Unfortunately many of the people who most need to deal don't make use as they're too tough and think that sort of thing is for sissies. Just off hand, I'd guess there's a big backpack of past stuff that the good samaritan here is reacting to, that was reactivated big time by this most difficult event he participated in. The concern that some other posters here seem to be alluding to and that I share is that this is a public forum and things get said that family members of victims and others shouldn't have to be exposed to. In the privacy of home,church or MH professional's office one can unload whatever crazy junk is flying around in one's head without anyone else taking offense or being further unnecessarily damaged. As a former ER nurse, I saw it all, but it didn't make for suitable dinner conversation. Gallows humor, sarcasm, anger, judgementalism, and political axes don't belong in this kind of public discourse. Blessings to all who were affected by this situation and please get the personal help you need.

LeslieJeanne 6 years, 8 months ago

Do any of you people bother reading an article before you comment on it? It says clearly that Keeton was trying to pass a limousine, and I think it is a reasonable guess that he simply misgauged how close the approaching car was, or how fast it was coming. It also says that Keeton was not wearing a seat belt. The two who survived were. I don't think anyone deserves to die for being stupid, (not wearing a belt), but unfortunately that seems to be the number one cause of death among humans.PitBull Grandma? Give me a break! Am I the only traditional Grandmother left in Kansas? And why do you people use use weird names when you post?

barbwilliams 6 years, 8 months ago

I have read these comments, and I really think that it is sad that James, the young man who was fatally injured, has been subjected to being called names, blamed for all kinds of things, and no one will really know for sure what really happened. You journeyman, are condemning this young man for trying to save his car???? Do you think that he would rather hurt himself or hurt someone else or kill them, do you think this is what he was intending to do? Maybe he didn't see the car approaching because the long limo was in front of him, and when he went to pass, he froze. You don't know what happened, and so don't condemn him. You came upon a tragic accident and you chose to help out of the compassion and goodness of your heart, and you said that you would have helped the young man, if you thought he was still alive. Then you turn around and call him names. Why on earth would you do that? Have you never made a bad choice to do something, and maybe escaped injury because of pure luck or you reacted fast enough to not get hurt or hurt yourself? You are apparently not young, as you say you were in law enforcement. Why would you judge someone like that, when you don't know exactly what, or why this terrible thing occured? It is bad enough for all who were in this accident and for their familes, little lone someone get on here and condemn someone's child that you know nothing about. The young man died, he paid a price for the choice he made, and he hurt someone else doing it. And it may have been nothing but pure sheer terror that froze the young man into not heading for the ditch. I feel terrible for the young lady, and the man with her, and for the young man who made yesterday, the end of his life here on earth. Do not accidents happen? And you seem to act like you never did something that put you or anyone else in harms way. Everyone has, everyone will. We are not perfect. No one is. And for you talking about how you helped the girl, and you stopped for the accident. What about the man who was with her too? You don't mention him. This is no place to talk about in detail about the accident, and about the individuals involved. If you want to talk about it in detail and how you helped. Did no one else stop and help? Were you the only one there? I am sure others stopped, but I don't see anyone else repeating over and over how they helped the girl. And then you talk about how you got shot and how another officer was shot and killed and how you shot and killed 2 people. What's up with that? You are an officer, wasn't it your job to protect? I don't know of other officers who bring up any of their business.You say you had seen this before in law enforcement and service. You know that was your decision to do that type of work, as it was to stop and help. You helped, you were commended, and do you want a medal too?