Archive for Sunday, November 30, 2008

19-year-old killed, 4 injured in car accident

A 19-year-old Lawrence resident is killed in a car crash Saturday morning.

November 30, 2008

Memorial for Casey Alan Anzek

A memorial was set up this weekend for Casey Alan Anzek. Anzek was killed in a single-vehicle accident early Saturday morning. Enlarge video

One dead in early morning car wreck

A 19-year-old man was killed in an early morning car accident on the 2500 block of Ousdahl Road. Police withheld the name of the victim, who is believed to be a Lawrence resident, until his family is notified. Two female passengers suffered life-threatening injuries, and were transported by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital. Two other passengers suffered less severe injuries, and were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, said Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical Battalion Chief Joe Hoelscher. Enlarge video

A 19-year-old man was killed in an early morning car accident in the 2500 block of Ousdahl Road. Police withheld the name of the victim, but the family confirmed it was Casey Alan Anzek of Lawrence.

Four other passengers, all from Lawrence, were injured.

The single-vehicle accident occurred at about 2:10 a.m. Saturday at the intersection of 25th Terrace and Ousdahl Road, a residential area. The car, a 1984 Chevrolet, was heading southbound on Oushdahl Road when it went off the east side of the road and slammed into a tree in front of a home.

The driver was pronounced dead at the scene.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said a passer-by extricated the injured passengers.

Police are investigating the cause of the accident.

Hadl said speed, alcohol and a wet roadway could be to blame but said the investigation would continue.

Comments

onlymee 6 years, 4 months ago

my son and his friends also knew casey, what a tragic thing, my prayers and thoughts are with caseys friends and family, and the others and there families that were involved,i also hope that the mean spirited leaves there comments to there selves.because no matter what they were and are loved, and yes this could happen to anyone,casey you will be missed,,

cokeaddict 6 years, 4 months ago

such a sad story. my heart goes out to the families, but i would like to know what these kids were doing out at 2 am.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

I have been in your situation before, Hannah, still am, actually. So I know what it feels like to lose someone you care about. Yet, this is a forum for discussion, and some people find it helpful to dscuss the issues of the accident. Some people will be less than friendly in their remarks, which is why family shouldn't read the forum, or find it necessary to criticize those who do respond with less than heartfelt feelings. And they are not heartless. This isn't an obituary or memoriam for the victims, which is where only kind, and not negative, comments belong,

ConcernedAmerican 6 years, 4 months ago

I fully agree with hannadawn0709. My daughter knew all these kids (I knew 2 of them) and I found yesterday's comments with the initial article disgusting. A life was lost and 4 other kids were injured, two critically. The cause is not fully clear but still very tragic. Those sitting around with nothing better to do than staring at a computer screen need to put themselves in the situation and wonder, in that split second, how they would have truly responded. I feel for all the families and pray they get through this horrible passage of time.

jafs 6 years, 4 months ago

I completely disagree with all of the "just sympathize" comments.There are far too many fatal car accidents in and around Lawrence, and I think that finding out the reasons and preventing them is a very important and valid thing to do.We suffer enough unpreventable tragedies in life - let's cut down on the preventable ones.

Sharon Aikins 6 years, 4 months ago

How can I comment on some of the things said here? I can't because I don't have all the answers. Still, an open forum need not be a place to be unkind nor excuses made that unkindness. There are some articles that should dictate common sense and compassion.Hannah, there are lots of kind and compassionate people here who truly share in your loss. A young man is gone, four others are injured and some may not ever fully recover. To Casey's family and friends I offer my sincere condolences and prayers. And I wish a speedy recovery to the other four victims in this tragedy.

objectivethinker 6 years, 4 months ago

I spent several hours at the hospital yesterday. One passenger was not admitted, one will get out in a day or two. The other two girls have quite a road to recovery but they should be okay with time and rehab. I am very sorry for the friends and families, I just want to plead with teens and young adults out there to please make this a wake up call. Do not get into a vehicle if you or the driver has been drinking. This accident is not a unique scenario. Lives can be ended and changed in a split second. I am aware of many of the details of this tragic accident and do not believe it would have taken place without alcohol and speed as factors. Please Please Please learn from this.

Clickker 6 years, 4 months ago

"There are far too many fatal car accidents in and around Lawrence, and I think that finding out the reasons and preventing them is a very important and valid thing to do.We suffer enough unpreventable tragedies in life - let's cut down on the preventable ones."I agree with this. We cannot change the facts at this point. They are what they are. It is better to learn from what happened so we can at least tell our kids, and not hide the facts from them.Were these high school students? Which HS? The article does not say.

Shardwurm 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm sorry for all involved. God Bless.Remember that the internet allows people to hide behind their monitors. 99 percent of them wouldn't dare say the kinds of things they post to your face. As I like to say: "I'm not really a jerk - I just play one on the internet."

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

Since when did passing judgment and condemning those that kill and injure others by drinking and driving become mean spirited? I suspect it was around the same time we stopped caring for and warning the living or punishing those who are caught in the name of compassion. Let's get real shall we? Feel free to drink and drive in Lawrence, everyone does it. If you get caught you will get a slap on the wrist and if you kill someone get the right lawyer and judge and the DA will roll over and agree to 14 - 90 days in jail. Can't afford a lawyer, no worries. Put it on your credit card and then stop paying, someone will be compassionate and bail your sorry ass out.

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

Casey was someone i always talked to and him dying was the most tragic thing iv ever experienced....he attended lawrence high school (LHS)...i dont know where the others went to school....casey was never the kind to drink and drive someone always took his keys.....but the one night he made a bad decision he lost his life....i will never forget him....he was way too young....he had his whole life ahead of him...Casey was a real funny and good hearted guy...he had just turned 19 on august 4....for all the teens involved in drinkin please dont drive stay where you are or have a designanted driver....even though what was done was wrong no one deserves to lose their life like that...i miss my friend more than anything....i would give anything for him to be here with us today....

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

for the family and friends we have created an online memorial for Casey its on legacy.com http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/november2008/Homepage.aspxfeel free to leave comments and for anyone who knows his mother please let her know...

Brandy Harris 6 years, 4 months ago

Thank you to the ones that made the memorial for Casey. We did get a message to his mom and let her know. Once again thanks to the ones that made it. It was a big shock to learn that he had died. He had been friends with our family since he was about 5-6 I looked at him like he was one of my little brothers. My prayers are with his family and friends. Casey you will never be forgotten but will always be missed!!!!! We love you!!!!

raymond25 6 years, 4 months ago

casey was my brother i loved him so much casey you will always be in my heart and thats where you will stay to his family im sorry this has happen to you at this time of year you will forever be remembered and never forgotten our thoughts and prayers are with you i love you uncle casey. Songs Of Songs place me like a seal over your heart like a seal on your arm for love is as strong as death its jealousy unyielding as the grave it burns like blazing fire like a mighty flame.

tyson travis 6 years, 4 months ago

To the families of those killed or injured: Been there, I'm thinking of you. I lost my then-15 year old brother in a car crash in SW Lawrence on Jan. 13, 1967 under what might appear to be similar circumstances, believe me, the family members will always be second-guessing what actions they might have taken to prevent this. This accident happened in a residential neighborhood, while ours happened on a country road that's now within the city under the K-10 bypass. I'd have to say that one fatality and multiple injuries in a residential neighborhood just after an uphill curve might point to excessive speed in this area. (This is four blocks south of our family home.) Speak with the survivors, be strong, and try to do what you can to prevent something like this from happening again. We've never found out the whole story of what happened to us almost 42 years ago, so don't be surprised if people clam up and won't talk due to the present litigious climate. T. Travis, Ark.

Luxor 6 years, 4 months ago

What, exactly, were 16 year old girls doing out at 2 AM?

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm thankful he only killed or injured himself and his friends and not some innocent driver or pedestrians.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

Luxor (Anonymous) says…"What, exactly, were 16 year old girls doing out at 2 AM?"Exactly what you think they were doing. Boose Cruzin with older guys who were hoping to impress them, or get them wasted enough, that they might get some.

ltownwhitegirl 6 years, 4 months ago

not what happened at all!! there were none that were 16! that was an estimate! on age! they all where 18 and 19 ! but nice try

Clickker 6 years, 4 months ago

Then were they college students? Or, as I have asked before, did they go to one of the local high schools?

chipsahoy22 6 years, 4 months ago

why were 19 and 20 yr olds with 16 and 17 yr old girls???? but i pray for him and his family.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

"Four other passengers, all from Lawrence, were injured.Two girls, ages 16 and 17, suffered life-threatening injuries and were transported by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital.Two other passengers, a 20-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl, suffered less severe injuries and were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, said Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical Battalion Chief Joe Hoelscher."Doesn't sound like "estimates" to me,

eotw33 6 years, 4 months ago

So a 19 & 20 year old guy were out drinking with two 16 year old girls and a 17 year old girl?? Anyway, call a cab or a friend or even your parents people!! Better than dying or going to jail. Most underage people think they can't call their parents if they're drinking cuz they'll get in trouble; I gaurantee you they would rather see you be responsible instead of seeing a funeral or a bondsman.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

Every time there is a fatal car accident we are told what a good boy the killer is and it was only one mistake. Every time we are asked not to judge because we are not perfect. Yet there is a remarkable record of drinking and driving being the cause of early morning fatal accidents. You'll forgive me if I prejudge this one and am thankful he only killed or injured his posse and not some innocent other driver, passenger, or pedestrians.Come to think of it, I'd be a lot more understanding if the DA didn't roll over on their prosecutions and if the judges gave more than 14 - 90 day sentences for convictions that resulted in death. Till that happens every drunk driver is a POC and society is better off with them dead.

krystalk 6 years, 4 months ago

Idk where anyone is getting that the girls were 18 and 19. Not everyone in the car was 18 and 19. So therefore it wasn't an estimate it was a fact. Two 16 year old's, a 17 year old and a 20 year old male. And of course Casey the 19 year old male driver. RIP CASEYWe will ALL miss you (with the exception of the people that don't know you and are pulling stuff out of their butts for this board) love you kid

yellowhouse 6 years, 4 months ago

Mistakes in life,like bad decisions,most often are very small,Yet the smallest mistakes in life,determine the biggest parts of our life!

momofk 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes, it sucks for those involved but I drive on that road all the time-even when wet-and I have to say that it is pretty much impossible to run straight into that tree if you are sober. Parents need to take more responsibility about who their young children are hanging out w/ and at what time of night (or morning) they are doing things at. For the people that are standing outside by the tree, you need to watch what you are doing too. My husband and I were driving on that road today and we were going like 20 mph and some idiot kid ran out in the middle of the road and put his hands up and yelled slow down! Just because your friend died doesn't mean you have to blame the whole world for your problem. You could've caused another accident by us running our suv into you. Next time you need to think about who you may be doing that to b/c my husband is not a small man and if he would've knew what you were doing he would've gotten out of the car and put you in your place. If you want to control the speed limit be a cop. If you want to control what happened-be smarter than your friends.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

Nooooo! Please blame everyone else but Casey and continue to run into the slick street in front of cars and trucks!! Hint: There is a lot more traffic on 23rd or K10!!!

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

Sometimes in lifelike criminal acts,over and over and over againwe fail to stoptill we kill ourselves and injure others.

chipsahoy22 6 years, 4 months ago

most def agree with momofk. how can you run off the road and hit a tree sober???

areyouserious 6 years, 4 months ago

Who bought the booze? Wouldn't they be liable?

Danimal 6 years, 4 months ago

Terrible tragedy, but some people on here are right, everyone should try and learn from this accident. I guess that part of growing up though is learning about all the horrible things that can go wrong. Odds are when you drive drunk that you will make it home safely, but eventually the numbers catch up to everyone. Maybe instead of cramming "don't drink, have sex or do drugs" down kids throats we should teach them something more along the lines of risk assessment. Night time, alcohol, slick roads, and younger drivers is always a recipe for disaster.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

What is wrong with it is illegal (under aged drinking, driving while intoxicated) and you are a criminal if you get caught. Is that to subtle or to draconian? How about don't drink and drive unless you really want to, then just make sure you don't kill someone. Wouldn't want to hurt the little precious self image, don't you know.

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

no one knows who bought the booze.....and yeah casey did do wrong extremely and im sure hes lookin down right now thinkin of how stupid his decision was but do yal seriously want to sit here and argue...and so he had friends that are younger than him...BIG DEAL!!! everyone else does too....and wow so we stood by a tree that our friend died at to mourn his passing...wouldnt you do the same...yal are the most careless people i have ever seen sittin here thinkin more about how old they were and all this crap and how dumb he is guess what HES DEAD and wont come back......Casey may have made a big mistake but so did everyone else in that vehicle it wasnt just him..... the blame shouldnt even be on him it should be ont he person who gave them alcohol and didnt take their keys

sarahsmilehawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I remember Casey and I'm very sad that his friends and family have to go through this. I'm chalking this one up to the South Junior High curse.

hannahj 6 years, 4 months ago

i know 4 out of 5 of the people in the car. they were in fact 16 and 17. the most seriously injured pasenger, a 16 year old girl, was an extremely good friend of mine, i practicly lived with her for 3 years. i was friends with the others to. and casey, whom i never met but i did talk on the phone with him once and he seemed really nice, was dating my best friend--who wasnt in the car btw. in answer to your question 'what were 16 year olds doing out with a nineteen year old?' he was a senior when they were sophmores, or freshmen. they probobly knew him through school or mutual friends like i did. and i can guarentee casey was not trying to get into anyones pants because he had a girlfriend!!in answer to questions about which high school the girls went to. one went to lhs, one to fs, and im not sure about the last one. oh, and btw. raising the drinking age to 55 wouldnt help at all. notice none of these people were of legal drinking age yet, do you think raising it would stop them?!i, personally dont drink. but the majority of my friends do. kids are going to drink nomatter what you do. i think parents need to tell their kids not to drink, but also let them know that if they are drunk or around drinking and need a ride, that they wont be punished for calling their parents. that is the only way to prevent these kind of accidents from occuring again. honestly parents, telling your kids your there for them isnt going to encourage them to drink or anything. it will just ensure that if they decide to your there for them, and they dont need to drink and drive or get into the car with someone who is drunk.RIP casey

krystalk 6 years, 4 months ago

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

Sorry I already paid my karma forward. Two best friends/roommates in college and my cousin (who left a young widow with 2 baby girls) were killed by drunk drivers. So I am fine, but those who are supporting these morons who drink, drive, and kill and injure had better check their own cosmic accounts. Cheers and put the pedal to the metal big boy!

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

codilynr1026 (Anonymous) says… "casey was never the kind to drink and drive someone always took his keys"I can only think of one early morning fatal accident in Lawrence in the last three years that a drunk driver wasn't at fault. Thousands of people drove in that sleet and somehow they managed not to kill themselves or injure their friends.So lets get real, he is under aged, known for drinking, and people needed to take his keys to keep him from drunk driving. This wasn't one mistake, he committed criminal act after criminal act after criminal act and then he died and seriously injured his friends. The only good thing I can see was the only hurt himself and his friends. For that I am thankful.

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

All i have left to say is hes dead....il never see him again.. or talk to him and everyone involved will always live with the picture of him sittin in that seat lifeless.....and that will kill them too maybe not like him but on the inside...and yeah some of them are stupid for drinkin and drivin but do you think that sayin it is gunna get them to change THINK NOT.....but if you have nothin better to do than sit here and critisize Casey then your critisizin close to a hundred or more people who stood at the spot where he took his last breath then you obviously need a life cause aint nothin your gunna say that we havent already heard and it wont change anything.... my best friend died friday night due to excessive drinkin and slippery roads on his way home...and yals critism and hate wont bring him back or help the others....im sure hes sorry for all the pain and hurt he has caused...Casey never in his life would harm anyone on purpose or cause chaos....he was just tryin to get home where hed be safe....but got crazy and lost control of his car....he honestly thought he could do anything and was invincible..im sure he probably hit a slick spot while takin that slight turn and lost it..... he was a REBEL by heart and thats what killed him in the end.....I'l miss you Casey more than anything (Country by the grace of God)

casey19 6 years, 4 months ago

Nobody knows for sure what really happened,BUT CASEY AND THE OTHER PASSENGERS.Yeah we are all sure alcohol was involved but no one really knows but those involved.There will always be alot of unanswered questions and some of us want to hear those answers from CASEY,and well we can't.Everybody in this godforsaken town drink and drive.Casey always came to my house and we always took he keys with no arguement from him at all.HE IS ONLY HUMAN JUST LIKE THE REST OF US.THERE ARE SO MANY REASONS WHY THIS HAPPENED BUT ONLY THE INVESTIGATION WILL TELL ALL.We all make mistakes.....So you people who are hating on this SHOW SOME SYMPATHY AND REMORSE FOR HIS FAMILY AND THE OTHER PASSENGERS AND MOVE ON.CASEY'S FAMILY IS GOING THROUGH ENOUGH....MY HEART GOES OUT TO HIS FAMILY AND THEY ARE IN MY PRAYERS....CASEY YOU WILL BE MISSED BUT ALWAYS REMEMBERED.....

casey19 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm the one who stared the memorial and I got a comment about the pictures that were on there of him drinking.Well I am not gonna remove them because that is the way his friends remember him.That is their memory of him laughing and messing around.Of course drinking was involved who doesnt go to a friends house for a birthday party or something and doesnt drink a few.I do it all the time...Nobody will ever know what was going through Casey's mind when he saw his life flash before his eyes.The other passengers didn't know either...We pray for all five of them.RIP Casey,you will be loved always....

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

Casey wasnt lucky...there was two different things that happened to him that caused his death.....1: when the car hit the tree if forced the engine through the firewall of the car on his side you can hardly tell from the picture but the engine ended up in his lap and had broken his legs in the process not to mention tearing up the bottom half of his body...now he may have lived from that if it wasnt for the second thing....2: the steering wheel collum had been pushed into his chest probably causing serious bleeding of the organs and ultimately causeing his death....my family has pictures of his seat he hadnt only gotten all the force from the front but also the back because you can see where the blood was on the back of his head on the seat......Casey had also busted his head open a few weeks earlier because he was jumped.....i dont know if this helps anyone but its the facts.....

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

Man this TheStig person really needs to stop talkin cause nobody cares what you have to say.....you can think WHATEVER you want....!!!

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 4 months ago

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

Yep good old drunk driving Casey will be loved always by his drink driving friends. Fortunately for society that love no longer carries any risk of offspring and the human gene pool will slightly better for it.

kiddofriendy 6 years, 4 months ago

As a parent reading this, I ask myself why were these teens out so late? I know kids (and adults for that matter) make mistakes, but it was at a time when these kids should have been safe and sound in bed. Parents need to set a curfew. I hope this will send a message to some parents and teens to follow better judgment.

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

umm yeah we did pal....its called the memorial and candle lit ceremony....not to mention the memorial website..... and get over yourself you cant tell me none of yal havent drank...and serioulsy yals comments dont matter hel never be forgotten....and watch what your sayin cause some of yals stuff can be considered as a sort of slander....

objectivethinker 6 years, 4 months ago

some of us know the victims and have even talked to them since the accident. there is no argument here. the driver and the passengers were all hammered. he was speeding at 80 mph in a what, 25 or 30 zone? ages are 16 to 20. there was even a dog in the car that probably won't make it. i could say so much more but will not in this forum. i'm sure a blood alcohol level will be revealed at some point. this was a horrible accident. don't let casey die in vain. take action against drunk driving. educate your friends. always have a designated driver. yes teens drink but it is not cool to drink and drive. how many senseless deaths need to occur before people wake up? if casey's friends want to honor him, then get involved in a new cause and don't let it happen again.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

codilynr1026 (Anonymous) says… "Casey wasnt lucky…there was two different things that happened to him that caused his death…."Yeah all that alcohol probably kept him from feeling a thing, lucky he had been drinking when the tree jump out and killed him.codilynr1026 (Anonymous) says ... "watch what your sayin cause some of yals stuff can be considered as a sort of slander…."You probably mean libel, not slander, and I doubt it.Truth is an absolute defense and statements made in a good faith and upon a reasonable belief that they were true are generally treated the same as true statements. Further, fair comment on a matter of public interest, statements made with an honest belief in their truth on a matter of public interest are defenses to a defamation claim.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 4 months ago

Umm, I'm not your pal. And nobody said they never drink. Someone else suggested that drinking and driving is normal behavior. What I said was that most people don't go drinking, get in the car and kill themselves while seriously injuring everyone else in the car. That's called being irresponsible. Sometimes you get away with it and sometimes you get dead. Sometimes you get away with it and others get dead. Some of you that admit he was probably drinking need to realize what he was doing was wrong and that he put lives at risk. Grow up and quit being pissed at people who point that out!

Brandy Harris 6 years, 4 months ago

The family and close friends of Casey has enough to deal with at this time. Me being one of those people wish that if you are here just to talk bad about Casey and critisize what happened I wish you would either stop talking or leave. I know not everyone in here is a prefect little angel and we all have done one thing wrong at one time or another. So talking in here like you have never done anything wrong or made a mistake in you life is wrong. Yea Casey made a big mistake but he didnt deserve to pay for that mistake with his life. Another thing you need to stop and think of his family and how they feel in all of this. Stop thinking of yourselves for a minute. Casey will be missed and loved forever!!! RIP Casey

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

I may not be perfect but I don't drive drunk and as a result never killed or injured anyone by drunk driving. Anyone who has never killed or injured anyone drink driving has a perfect right to judge. Apparently, Casey and his crew are under aged and think nothing of getting slammed and hopping behind the wheel of a car. So this "accident" wasn't so much a "mistake" as "criminal" and "inevitable." If someone doesn't point out the obvious what hope do you have that they, or others that read this article, won't stop endangering you and your family and will kill themselves (fine with me by the way) or others?

KansasPerson 6 years, 4 months ago

This is terrible. If even his closest friends are getting on this forum and saying they're going to continue their (underage and illegal) drinking and (illegal and irresponsible) driving, even after seeing what happened to their dear friend... well, I guess they are right when they say that "nothin you say is gunna change that."I'm sorry but I suddenly feel like I'm surrounded by young redneck idiots.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

Seriously people, it wasn't the slick roads, the corner, or the tree that killed Casey. Thousands of people drove in the very same conditions and probably hundreds past that very tree without killing themselves or seriously injuring four other friends and their dog. Get a grip, buy a vowel, and get a clue. Casey is dead and his friends were seriously injured because he was hammered and they choose to ride with him, except for the dog of course. Poor dog, hope he didn't suffer.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

How can anyone take your speech seriously when the last two drunk drivers who killed on the streets of Lawrence got only 14 and 90 days in jail? Nice words, but these kids know the truth, no one cares if you drive drunk in Lawrence, and if they get caught they will be slapped on the wrist by the judges, assuming the lazy DA's even bothers to bring a case. Lawrence is a party town and drunk driving deaths are the price we pay. Cheers!

justtired 6 years, 4 months ago

I was not going to comment, but I looked at the memorial posted by one of his friends, and couldn't help but notice that a lot of the pictures were of him and his buddies and they were holding beer cans. How is this a tribute when the pics show his death sentence?

KansasPerson 6 years, 4 months ago

I finally got the chance to go look at the memorial.I'm glad I did because I was reconsidering my "redneck" comment, but when I saw that his own friends describe him that way, I realized I was actually posting a tribute.And how about this gem:"And as far as the confederacy goes thats what Casey believe in."Ah. Followed by pictures that indicate the rather limited social activities enjoyed by Casey's friends."The Redneck Will Ride On!" says the memorial.Again, I'm afraid that the friends of Casey will continue to drink and drive. I am hoping against hope that some of them will grow up a little and realize that there is a much better way of memorializing their friend, as some people have mentioned on here -- work against underage drinking, drunk driving, speak out in his name, use his story as a warning to others, maybe even quit the behavior themselves!But the prospects for that do not seem rosy. If you object to the unnecessary way their friend died, you apparently are attacking them and their way of life, and they will dig in their heels and remain even more firmly in that "rebel" way of life, no matter whom they may hurt.

Buggie7 6 years, 4 months ago

Stig shut the hell up. We get it Casey was drinking and Casey made a bad decision and has paid the ultimate price for it. Are you going to sit at your computer and let the family listen to your endless babble about what is right and what is wrong and how you dont do bad decisions. My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of this young man. I have a 19 yr old son as well and cannot imagine losing him this early in his young life. Informed, you are also just well and idiot. Do you really think the person who provided the alcohol is going to come forward? Who is to say that Casey didnt go and buy it himself? Because he is underage? thats laughable because even though they are supposed to most liquor stores in Lawrence do not card like they are supposed to. Annnd civil suit? Can you not think of other things at a time like this than all the legalities. There are some pretty heartless people in Lawrence and Im saddened how some do not think before opening their mouths.

jafs 6 years, 4 months ago

Wanting and trying to prevent other preventable tragedies like this is not heartless.

packs_of_wild_dogzz 6 years, 4 months ago

For those of you calling people heartless for not posting the same old "so sorry, prayers to the family, blah blah blah", think about this. This kid could have slammed head on into you and your family on that road. How would you feel if he killed your spouse or one of your children? Would you then be posting about how sad, he was so young, he is human, everyone drinks and drives, he just made a mistake? I doubt it.

triplegoddess13 6 years, 4 months ago

"...don't let others drink and drive don't buy alcohol for others who plan to not stay put"So hannahdawn0709, are you saying that it's perfectly fine and legal to let underage people stay in one place and drink? It still doesn't matter who buys the alcohol or where it comes from. Underage drinking is illegal no matter where or when it happens. That's what most of the people in this conversation are trying to get through your thick heads. The driving part is an addendum. You and your friends really need to wake up and pay attention to what happened. This is one big caveat for you. (You might want to look that word up since your English skills could use some help.)

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

ksmom - this is a forum to discuss the article, and not to memorialize a young man who made a mistake. If his family and friends find comments difficult, then they shouldn't read them. And no, I have never made a decision in my life which cost a life or injured another. I never drink and drive or ride without a seat belt. And I have NEVER in my life bought alcohol for an underage person.

Kimberly Hatch 6 years, 4 months ago

Momofk"For the people that are standing outside by the tree, you need to watch what you are doing too. My husband and I were driving on that road today and we were going like 20 mph and some idiot kid ran out in the middle of the road and put his hands up and yelled slow down! Just because your friend died doesn't mean you have to blame the whole world for your problem. You could've caused another accident by us running our suv into you. Next time you need to think about who you may be doing that to b/c my husband is not a small man and if he would've knew what you were doing he would've gotten out of the car and put you in your place."Regarding the comment above I am confused as to whether you are bragging about being the owner of an SUV and the size of your husband or if you are complaining. When you and/or your husband was 19 years old I am sure you made some bad decisions in your life perhaps your bad decisions were not fatal. Casey made a bad decision; him, his family and friends are and will continue to pay the ultimate price. No one is an angel. Let us all learn from his bad decisions and let Casey rest in peace.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

I know teenagers drink and party, and some think it is fine because the drinking age is too high. That's beside the point. What I found difficult to read was the comment about how he never drank and drive, but someone always took his keys. He was 19 years old! No one should have had to take his keys!! Taking his keys doesn't make drinking okay. And yes, I have reiterated to my three teenagers that they shouldn't ride with anyone who has been drinking, nor should they be drinking, let alone drinking and driving. But if they do make a dumb decision to drink (or their ride makes that dumb decision), that they should call us - no matter what.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

And I do feel very badly for his family and friends for his loss. I know how it feels.

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

To all the young kids posting on here about how everyone should be sending their prayers instead of criticizing the ignorant stunt (driving drunk while going 80 MPH) - YOU HAVE NO CLUE!!!! I am sorry for your loss, but this kid signed his own death sentence.My sister was hit, on Thanksgiving weekend, by a 16 year old drunk driver in the mid 80's. Everyone said the same things back then - "He's young, he didn't usually drive drunk", blah blah blah, bullsht, bullsht, bullsht!!My sister somehow survived having major head trauma, broken jaw and all cheek bones broken and her face ripped open from one side to the other. Almost lost her sight, but thanks to the great doctors she did survive after being in a coma for weeks. She had to live with metal plates holding together what used to be her face (try getting through metal detectors when your face is metal under the skin). No plastic surgeries could mend the severe scars she lived with for 20 years. You want to see something shocking?? Try seeing your sister's face so swollen, full of stiches and staples, breathing tubes shoved down her throat and your parents weeping, hoping their daughter can come out of her coma and survive. And all because some kid had no brains and thought he could drive sht faced, just like Casey did.There was only one person to blame - an ignorant 16 year old that thought he was a rebel and that it was perfectly ok for him to drink, even though he was underaged, just like this Casey kid thought. You speak of what a caring person he was, but he obviously wasn't because he CHOSE to drink and drive and not care about what he could be doing to others. LEARN FROM THIS ALL YOU LITTLE KIDS WHO ARE DEFENDING HIM!!!The parents of these kids should be in trouble. Why the hell is anyone's under age (under 18) year old kid out that late at night? What is wrong with people anymore? If you care about your kids, then you know where they are at all times. You have curfews. No young kids should be out past 12. My parents ALWAYS knew where I was and I have never in my life been stupid enough to drink and drive. I like to drink, but I'll walk home in a blizzard if I have to because I've unfortunately seen the consequences.The kids on here that keep posting how mean everyone is - you are young and have no clue. You think the world's against you. You will grow up and one day realize how stupid your friend Casey was. We are all lucky he didn't kill anyone else. It is a sad story and hopefully you'll learn from what this kid did.

Clickker 6 years, 4 months ago

2 am. is pretty late for a couple of 15 year old HS sophmores. Nothing good happens at that time.

just_dandy 6 years, 4 months ago

I didn't know casey that well, we went to the same elementary school and junior high but i am a few years older than him. But my prayer are with his friends and family and the family of the other kids in the car. RIP.I've never posted on a story but after reading this story and some of the comments I felt like I should. I agree that underage drinking is horrible. I am only 19 and i'll admit that i've drank. These days everyone is especially in a college town. BUT I'm not saying that it is ok. Not at all. My parents raised me to be responsible and not do stupid things. Drinking and driving is not something one should do or even think about doing. I'm not going to preach on here or anything I just think we as a community need to do things to help bring this problem to the surface. We all know it is a problem (underage drinking and driving) but no one really does anything about it. When i was in high school (I went to Free State) I was involved with clubs where we went to elementary and junior high schools to let them know the consequences on drugs and alcohol, along with drunk driving. I think we need more groups like that in Lawrence. Especially since it is a college town and kids are being exposed to alcohol and drugs at younger and younger ages. The only way to prevent something from happening is by taking the proper precautions, learning from mistakes and most of all being smart.Once again RIP Casey. You will be missed.

Connacht 6 years, 4 months ago

t1321 6 years, 4 months ago

chaelaw 6 years, 4 months ago

I understand the feeling of loss and hurt caused by losing a loved one, however, this is not a memorial site, as some have pointed out. This is a news website and people here come to comment about the news story. A memorial website is available at the funeral home website as well as the home made memorial posted above. If you don't wish to read what others feel about under age drinking, drunk driving or youth irresponsibility do not come here. Instead, spend your time at the dedicated memorial pages.

Connacht 6 years, 4 months ago

costello 6 years, 4 months ago

Connacht 6 years, 4 months ago

Clickker 6 years, 4 months ago

t1321 6 years, 4 months ago

By the way, you people aren't angels. Everyone can continue to preach about what they should have done differently. Well, look at the facts, they didn't and they are paying for it. Leave it alone. Let us learn from his bad decisions and let him rest in peace.

Connacht 6 years, 4 months ago

t1321,I think it's pretty obvious that no one is an angel, because angels don't exist. That aside for a moment, no one is preaching anything but the law. We're all well aware that he paid for this crime. My advice to you is to follow your own advice and quit this discussion with lessons learned.

costello 6 years, 4 months ago

"controlling who leaves and enters your home during the night shouldn't be a difficult task."lol... You can't mean that!"These are larger ingrained behaviors that could have been nipped in the bud, but were allowed to continue for some reason."How do you know? Unless you know the kids and the families involved, you're speculating.

Connacht 6 years, 4 months ago

Costello,You're telling me that you have trouble keeping your home secured during the night? How do I know these are ingrained behaviors? Well, aside from other posters here talking about how Casey and his friends drank alcohol on other occasions, I also know that most people don't participate in 2 AM drunk driving rampages. Given that these was a repeated activity, I would classify it as a behavior, the larger behavior being a complete disrespect for the law and (assuming) will of the parents.How would you classify it? A freak accident that began with Casey suggesting that a bunch of his teenage friends go get hammered at 2 AM randomly? Somehow, I doubt it.

costello 6 years, 4 months ago

"You're telling me that you have trouble keeping your home secured during the night?"You're telling me that kids don't sneak out at night?"aside from other posters here talking about how Casey and his friends drank alcohol on other occasions..."You're talking about Casey - who was an ADULT. His parents aren't responsible for his behavior. Your original post lead me to believe you were referring to the minors. (You asked why the parents didn't keep them at home. That would apply only to the minors.) As to the minors - the girls - you can't know that they have some long history of drug or alcohol use or abuse that their parents noticed or should have noticed but chose to ignore. The girls may have been with the guys because they liked the guys. And they may have been away from home without their parents' permission. You just don't know."Given that these was a repeated activity, I would classify it as a behavior, the larger behavior being a complete disrespect for the law and (assuming) will of the parents."Again - how do you know the girls were ever out at 2 am with these guys - or any guys - before? How do you know that's a repeated activity?"How would you classify it?"How I "classify" it is beside the point. I simply object to the assumption that if a teen is misbehaving, his or her parents are to blame.When you do something wrong, do you blame your folks? Did you blame your folks when you did something wrong as a teen?

Strontius 6 years, 4 months ago

Costello,Bad kids sneak out at night. Kids whose parents have failed. Activate an alarm system maybe? Problem solved. As for this sort of thing being a repeated behavior, I just visited Casey's memorial site. All the pictures have confederate flags and him and his friends drinking beer. Neither of which is endearing. Way to advertise racism and criminal acts. It also proves that his drinking and general delinquency WERE ingrained behaviors. Did I blame my folks when I did something wrong as a teen? Nope, because I didn't have to. My parents raised me right. No drinking, no drugs, no criminal record, nothing. The worst thing I did as a teenager was convert to Christianity for a short time (much to the dismay of my parents), but soon shelved that after actually reading the Bible and doing research into the religion. As far as I'm concerned in this case though, it's one less drunk driving red-neck in the world. I actually feel a little safer.

tina6608 6 years, 4 months ago

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

Just to let yal know there was information found out today that points to them being chased and someone taking the wheel from casey and turning it causin him to hit the tree.... i hope you guys feel all high and mighty because it wasnt him he was driving but when the person snatched the wheel they didnt do the math right or something because they thought they would make it down the street to the left and didnt and casey only had control of the pedal.....this person was tryin to get someones attention and turned the wheel causing my friend to hit the tree with maximum force...i know it may be a huge let down but it wasnt all him....

tina6608 6 years, 4 months ago

As a matter of fact I was born and raised in what I'm sure is a much deeper south than any place you have ever called home "my friend"Confederate flag signifies the "southern cross" it signifies a sign of the time in witch it was created, it is also to this day still a part of the Mississippi flag!! So to say that your were born and raised in the south makes no difference to to anyone. You still show that you are ignorant. Are you calling the entire state of Mississippi racist??Still don't know what this has to do with what happened to these kids?? Do you people have to make everything about you. I'll pray for you along with child who has just passed for you are as lost as he is!!

victoria_noire 6 years, 4 months ago

I think it's very sick that t1321 and tina6608, two of the people who say they know the deceased, are wishing the same tragedy upon others in this forum.

Brandy Harris 6 years, 4 months ago

Thank you codilynr1026 Just wanted to come on here and set it all straight yes Casey loved the rebel flag but just because he did doesn't mean he was racist becuase he wasnt at all. Casey loved everyone no mater what color they are. People in here see a comment about a rebel flag and assume that we are racist. Well once again your wrong!!!

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

But for someone selling or giving alcohol to a minor, none of this would have happened. But for under aged Casey getting hammered, none of this would have happened. But for Casey getting behind the wheel of the General Lee and going 80 MPH, none of this would have happened. Let's all blame this on the person who planted the tree.

Drew_Carey 6 years, 4 months ago

50 pts to Stig for "General Lee"I heard the dog turned the wheel to chase a mountain lion seen in the area lately.

Strontius 6 years, 4 months ago

Tina,I could go into depth about my education, but suffice it say, it's better than yours because I actually finished high school and am able to type and communicate in coherent sentences that lack made-up contractions. I never said I was perfect. I just never smoked, did drugs, or drank and drove. It's really not that hard. If that's your definition of perfect though, I have great pity. Thanks for your compassionate Christian wishing me to Hell.

tina6608 6 years, 4 months ago

victoria_noirewhere in my statements did i state or even imply that I know this child? because I took the time to learn his name. Instead if only looking at a flag and judging the the kind of person that he was. Did you know him? I never said I did? And is it also OK with you that they said that the world is better off without him. That because he was a stupid redneck that he deserved what happened. How is what I said any different than what the sick people said about a dead child who is not here to defend himself.Who are the true haters here

Brandy Harris 6 years, 4 months ago

Unless you knew Casey then dont open your mouth because you know nothing about him. Why dont you all get a life, job or different hobby than this.

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

I am a redneck proud of it.... some of my best friends are black and theyr rednecks too.... you seriously need to stop writing such hateful and hurtful things before i report every comment and name you have called my friends and family theres one thing to state your opinion but another to say wer better off dead with him and that wer supposedly racist which is makin assumptions....think before you speak....and yeah i do know i thing or to about slander and some of the things yal are puttin on here can quickly be put to a stop........

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

Damn, this one's gotten nasty, hasn't it? Recommence with the grave dancing, I guess.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

I hate it when three intentional crimes are committed that leads to the death of one and serious injury to four others and people come on here and call it a "accident" or a "mistake." I hate it that people are so ignorant that they actually believe that crap. I hate it that the last two drunk driving deaths where the driver survived only received 14 days and 90 days in jail for taking a human life. I hate it that people aren't outraged at this continuing mindless carnage and instead enable and encourage these kids in their continued ignorance. Yep, I hate it when that happens. I guess the true hater here would be me!

tina6608 6 years, 4 months ago

OK lets lay this to rest people I'm not going to let you keep going on with this at least not with me involved!! Though thanks for the attention!!!A young man has died no matter what he did, or believed in, or what you believe in. It is tragic, and terrible. He is not for you to judge now hes gods.As for the the extent of my education I have a degree in nursing check with your local university on how many years it takes to obtain that degree.As for the state of Mississippi if you google it einstein you will see that the majority of the state is African American and Hispanic, not white. Also to clean up another assumption, who said I was christian see where assumption gets you?? You can pray to god without being christian you know other religions do pray to god not just Christians!!In which case I'm not from that particular southern state so try again!!REST IN PEACE CASEY!!! may god forgive youmay god forgive us all!!!

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

im recommending to LJ World that this get pulled off tomorrow...Casey doesnt deserve this and neither does his family...... and il find a way for his mother to request this too......... you know this world would be a lot better without you ignorant lifeless and judgmental people you have no right to judge him only god does and has.....

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

codiynr1026: Just let it go. When people actually Know that they're being disrespectful and thoughtless jerks, but they know that there's no repercussions, they retain their anonymity, etc., it just ends up making it worse.

codilynr1026 6 years, 4 months ago

at least i can say i tried to help them understand but theres no saving them..

Deb66044 6 years, 4 months ago

may God forgive all of you for the mean and hurtful comments you are making about a dead young man and the pain you are bringing to a family that is already devistated because of his death.

SouthernBelle 6 years, 4 months ago

Just a quick comment to casey19 or laura or whatever you are calling yourself today...We GET it! YOU created the online memorial. How many times do you need to pat yourself on the back? Good Job. Excellent work. Very caring. Now, I hope you feel better so you can stop posting EVERYWHERE that YOU created an online memorial for this young man.To his family - our thought and prayers are with you.

victoria_noire 6 years, 4 months ago

Tina, you didn't know him, so it's ok for you to wish that other people die. That makes sense.

victoria_noire 6 years, 4 months ago

Also Tina, as for whether or not I think it's ok that people on this forum say the world is better off without him, he made that decision himself.You, a nurse, wishing that people die. Seeing all the tragedy the world has to offer, and still wishing it upon other people? Has there ever been an unexplainable death in one of your patients? Possibly an "accidental" prescription overdose? Everyone, if your nurse is named Tina, and you're against drunk driving, ask for a different nurse.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 4 months ago

Mega paragraph,Hannah.I like that.This has become my favorite LJWorld thread of all time.Youngsters and oldsters alike; have come out in force.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

The carnage will continue until the compassion filled crash test dummies decide to demand that the LPD crack down on selling/providing alcohol to minors and drunk driving; insist Branson and the DA's office actively pursue convictions on every single case; and the judges impose the maximum available penalties for convictions. While you are at it you might ask Dolph Simons, Jr. why whining about where KU football games are played is more important to him and deserves more column inches than the dead and injured kids that all to regularly litter our roads.People will call you judgmental and hypocritical and both will be true enough, but there are much worse things. Like moms and dads mourning their dead kids, friends mourning their dead friends, or your child or friend killing someone else's child or friend. So I'm a insensitive judgmental hypocrite, if it saves one life I can live with that.

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

"So I'm a insensitive judgmental hypocrite, if it saves one life I can live with that."What if it doesn't? Not even one? Then you'd have just been an insensitive judgmental hypocrite.

costello 6 years, 4 months ago

"Bad kids sneak out at night. Kids whose parents have failed."Nonsense. You must have very limited experience of the world if you believe something so simplistic."As for this sort of thing being a repeated behavior, I just visited Casey's memorial site."Again - I would distinguish between Casey and the minors in the car."Did I blame my folks when I did something wrong as a teen? Nope, because I didn't have to. My parents raised me right. No drinking, no drugs, no criminal record, nothing."Same here: no drinking, no drugs, no criminal record, nothing. However, I can see that the world is full of good parents whose kids still get in trouble. There are also a lot of decent kids whose parents aren't so great. Of course, if you're going to define a "good parent" as one whose kids never get in trouble and a "failed parent" as one whose kids do get into trouble, then you're correct: bad kids come from bad parents by definition.

pickaname 6 years, 4 months ago

Ah, my old friend from other postings beo. Fact: Casey Anzek was a unique young man that unfortunatly made a very bad decision and paid untimatly with his life. Opinion: I am very saddened that this incident, not accident, happened to someone that I knew. Alot of the young people involved I also know, and have helped through this tragedy. Bless you all, and please, please as you live your lives learn from this and make wise choices. Your future is in your hands. Live, laugh and learn. Bless all of you.

Buggie7 6 years, 4 months ago

I do feel for the family and after reading some of the posts they actually make quite good sense. Some of them. I know some of you that preach against underage drinking (age 18-21) were probably some that you yourself were allowed legally to drink when the age for buying alcohol was 18. There should be no drinking and driving at any age. I do come to conflict and would like a little input from some if you may do so on the fact that if our young ones can be drafted and sent to war or serve our country at 18 then should they be able to drink? Im saying "drink" here not "drink and drive". I have always (having a nephew in Iraq) been conflicted with this question. Was wondering what others thought on the subject. I was furious earlier that people were posting on the fact of the circumstances of the accident and not the fact that a young man died. That was until I read the posts about the guys sister and the one that states this article should not be a memorial to Casey but a blog page like any other with a topic. Im sure casey will be missed. Im sure he was a likable guy. But after reading some posts I do regret being crabby to some earlier. I have a 19 year old son as well and I was thinking of the loss of this young man and not the fact that this young man could have plowed into someone and not something. Please give me your thoughts on the whole fighting for our country vs legal age for drinking. Raised in a military family I have always felt that if you can put your life on the line at 18 you should be able to drink.

pickaname 6 years, 4 months ago

I have always felt that same way. If you are old enough to fight and die for your country, you are old enough to drink. Being responsible about it is an entirely different argument. You are also right, at no age is it right to drink and drive.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

jonas_opines (Anonymous) says…"What if it doesn't? Not even one? Then you'd have just been an insensitive judgmental hypocrite."We will never know now will we? How do you count the deaths and injuries that don't occur? We are all hypocrites and judgmental, even you. At least I plead guilty in an effort to try to save a life. Remember that the next time you or your family driving on slick streets at 2AM.The LJW can remove my posts but no moderator can remove the truth they contained.

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

pickaname (Anonymous) says… "I have always felt that same way. If you are old enough to fight and die for your country, you are old enough to drink."Since March 19th 2003 there have been 4207 American soldier who died in Iraq serving their country. In 2006 alone the number of deaths involving drivers of cars and motorcycles with alcohol in their blood was 17,602, apparently they were served one too many. Year to year since the war began approximately 17 times more people died from drunk drivers than in Iraq.Cheers!.

pickaname 6 years, 4 months ago

Wow! Statistics suck but are a fact! I was only commenting on the drinking age/serving in the armed forces, and definatly NOT the Iraq war. Thats another show. I do not know the answer as to why persons believe that they can drink and drive, when in fact it has been proved to be more lethal than not. If one of age cannot have a few drinks or more without getting behind the wheel, then they should not be old enough to drink at the age of 85. It really is a killer that we as adults see things the same way, but yet argue over BS. Thanks Stig for being such a dumba$$ and showing these children on here that even adults can be dix! You have your opinion and I have mine, so be it, but please don't put me down in front of the children. Believe it or not, we are on the same side, maybe you should apply to be Mayor Funkhouser's aid, you do sound as if politics would be right up your alley. I think I'll have a drink on you.

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

"We will never know now will we? How do you count the deaths and injuries that don't occur?"So, then, you're justifying yourself on something that you admit will not be able to provide you justification? The truth that, admittedly, makes appearances in your posts are drowned out for those who might be inclined to listen, or those who perhaps should listen, by the rest, which generally leads to the natural reaction of alienation, anger, and resistance, as shown by the reactions in this thread. "We are all hypocrites and judgmental, even you. At least I plead guilty in an effort to try to save a life."Agreed on the first, but I don't see the second as anything other than your self-justification to grind your axe. At any rate, there's certainly a difference between understanding the natural human tendency towards hypocrisy and judgment (only one of those is really very negative), and glorifying in it to excuse counter-productive arguments that serve little purpose other than satisfying your need to vent your anger on this subject.

chipsahoy22 6 years, 4 months ago

I'VE NEVER SEEN A BLACK REDNECK IN MY LIFE!

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

All I can say to this kids friends that keep posting on here is that you really need to GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lesson for you that are proud to be rednecks - the definition of a redneck is:A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitudeYou're proud to be a bigot, huh? That flag and being a redneck stands for only one thing. It sickens me that we are in the 21st century and there are still young people that are so filled with hatred and racism. Shame on you.After reading your posts, I truely feel that our schools are failing us. And if Tina really is a nurse, you should be reported to your superiors for your comments on here. A nurse wishing harm on others??? You are not a good nurse if you wish harm on someone when your job is to care for others. That's part of being a grown up - being able to brush everything off and keep on going. These are just posts and everyone posting here is entitled to their opinion. Face the facts - your friend did wrong. We are all lucky he didn't kill anyone else. Many of us speak from first hand experience on the matter. It is sad someone died, but it's sadder that you kids haven't learned from this, which means these kinds of actions will keep repeating themselves. A good friend would have done everything in their power to stop this kind of behavior. You guys just partied on. And that memorial that was set up is just plain wrong. "This buds for you, RIP"?????? That alone shows that this kid died in vain and you have learned absolutely nothing. Nothing. If his family supports this memorial you set up, then we can all see where he learned his behaviors from.I ask just one thing - keep off the roads so I can continue to live. If you want to keep on partying like the rednecks you claim to be, then keep your butts deep in the country and off the city streets so that those of us that are responsible citizens don't die because of your stupidity.

Jay Bird 6 years, 4 months ago

Stig, You must like BBC. As for the General Lee, Maybe he should have been in K.I.T.T., that way there would have been one less tree out there killing these innocent drunk rednecks. I don't care who you are. Be thankful that this drunk dumb-ass only killed himself (so far). I know he'll be missed and I know people who know him. Just glad it was a tree and not a child.AND THIS IS WHY WE NEED MORE ROUND-ABOUTS!I miss dead drunk drivers like a flight on 9/11. Or in this case, like a retard misses the point.Happy Holidays.

Buggie7 6 years, 4 months ago

I totally agree Kmat but geesh tell us how you really feel. Well put

TheStig 6 years, 4 months ago

jonas_opines (Anonymous) says…“So, then, you're justifying yourself on something that you admit will not be able to provide you justification?I am not justifying anything, I plead guilty. I am a hypocrite. I drank under aged and years ago I drove drunk. I hope but can not prove, nor can you disprove, that my posts might save just one life. So I have changed my ways and and that makes me a hypocrite, what part of this do you not get??If drunk drivers only killed or injured themselves I'd be in the bars buying them drinks and helping them find their keys. The sooner all the drunk drivers go to that "Big Kegger" in the sky the better for the rest of society.That is insensitive and I freely admit it.Sadly, often they kill and seriously injure their friends and innocents and that makes them criminal scumbags who are less deserving of living than the rest of society who don't drink and drive and who are all to often the victims of their repeated criminal acts. Call me judgmental because I am.Jonas, I freely admit your moral superiority because unlike me you refuse to condemn drunk drivers and are therefore not a hypocrite, you pass no judgments on their crimes and the carnage they leave in their wake, and won't say something that might hurt the feelings of those that choose to drink drive because you can't prove it might save a life. Either that or your a cowardly self righteous jerk afraid to face your own failings and hypocrisy.Now please hurry and ask some pimply faced moderator to remove this insensitive, hypocritical, and judgmental post before someone reads it and realizes that today they need to resolve to never drink and drive again.

Jay Bird 6 years, 4 months ago

codilynr1026 (Anonymous) says… im recommending to LJ World that this get pulled off tomorrow…Casey doesnt deserve this and neither does his family…… and il find a way for his mother to request this too……… you know this world would be a lot better without you ignorant lifeless and judgmental people you have no right to judge him only god does and has…..What do you mean Casey doesn't desearve this. What does a drunk underage drive deserve? He's lucky. Lights out. So concludes his broadcast day. His family are the poor souls that have to deal with him being a retard. I hope Phelps boycots his funeral.

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

Okay, theStig, that was absolutely absurd. First, it's not my place to pass judgment. The kid's dead, I'm not a judge, and so my judgment in this is as irrellevant to the larger picture as yours is. If I thought that any hurtful, judgmental comment on this internet forum thread on a local paper was going to lead to any change in behavior, I'd be more likely to engage in it. However, as I think I mentioned, I don't hold that belief. I don't believe that anything you have said on here will make a single bit of difference, because the natural reaction to your posting personality is resistance and anger, the opposite of consideration, and unlikely to lead to change. Likely, I believe, to actually lead to continuation of behavior, simply out of spite, particularly where late teens are concerned. As for the cowardly yark yark, as I said, I'm not inclined to view the human tendency towards hypocrisy as something to be proud of, and frankly I'm sorry that you think it is. But don't worry. I've never, in my years on this board, ever requested a post be pulled, and frankly your insensitivity, if you want to call it that, is a pale thing in comparison to some of the others who float around here. I am, however, probably done with you. Reply at your leisure, and I might respond if there's anything fresh or of merit contained within.

minnie 6 years, 4 months ago

I live near that intersection. At night, drunk or not, it is not easy to see in that "valley" between 25th and 26th St. on Ousdahl. Lighting needs to be improved!

momofk 6 years, 4 months ago

newwomanDo not be so dumb. I said SUV b/c it is harder to stop than a car b/c it is a heavier vehicle so for that idiot to step out in the street right in front of us was dumb on his part. Saying that my husband is not a small man was not bragging about his size, but saying that these punk kids need to realize that they can act all big and bad but need to realize who they could be dealing w/. We were coming home from the grocery store w/ our baby in the backseat so yes of course he's going to be pissed off when he has to slam on the brakes and all the groceries fall all over the place b/c someone thought that was necessary to do that. Oh, but I guess my husband must be an extremely talented driver b/c the roads were wet, but he didn't seem to hit the tree....imagine that.I am only 25 so yes I can remember what I did when I was 19 and no-I never did anything stupid. To this day I still do not drink nor do I have any intentions of ever starting.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 4 months ago

Guess stig can just forget about getting a Christmas card from joshuabock this year.

t1321 6 years, 4 months ago

codilynr1026 THANK YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!What is going on in this world?? WHAT do you know... he WASN'T DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for assuming!!!! Find something else to better occupy your time people.. and YES minnie, the lighting does need to be improved. Try driving down that street at night, then ALL of your thoughts and opinions WILL change.

t1321 6 years, 4 months ago

Connacht: END OF STORY......................