Law enforcement report
• Two people were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital Wednesday evening with nonlife-threatening injuries after a two-vehicle accident on U.S. Highway 40 west of Lawrence, emergency dispatchers said.
About 7:45 p.m., the driver of a westbound sport-utility vehicle in the 300 section of U.S. 40 slammed on the brakes to avoid a deer, and a westbound U-Haul then struck the SUV from behind, said Lt. Kari Wempe, a spokeswoman for the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office. Two people in the SUV were taken to LMH, she said.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported these fire calls:
• Carbon monoxide incident, 4:37 a.m. Wednesday, 5111 Congressional Circle.
• Motor vehicle accident, 6:05 p.m. Tuesday, Tennessee and 23rd streets.
• Cooking fire, 2:36 p.m. Tuesday, 5000 Clinton Parkway.
• Alarm system sounded, 9:56 a.m. Tuesday, 3801 Greenway Circle.
• Fire call, canceled, 9:34 a.m. Tuesday, 3801 Greenway Circle.
• Smoke detector activation, 7:54 a.m. Tuesday, 1345 Jayhawk Blvd.
• Smoke detector activation, 7:38 a.m. Tuesday, 1535 W. 15th St.