Archive for Thursday, November 13, 2008

Civil lawsuit against KU basketball’s Sherron Collins dropped

KU star Sherron Collins no longer faces legal trouble.

November 13, 2008

Related document

Copy of the dismissal order ( .PDF )

The woman who accused Kansas University basketball player Sherron Collins of exposing himself and rubbing against her dropped a civil lawsuit against him, court documents filed Thursday morning said.

Jessica Brown, 36, filed the lawsuit against Collins, 21, in reference to a May 18, 2007, incident she said occurred in an elevator at Jayhawker Towers on the Kansas University campus, where she worked.

Brown was seeking damages in excess of $75,000 for mental and physical problems, but she agreed to drop the lawsuit as long as Collins agreed not to sue her for having brought the lawsuit, said Chris Burger, Collins' attorney.

"There was no money, no promises, no anything exchanged," Burger said.

Collins also agreed to drop his counterclaim against Brown, accusing her of defamation.

Collins maintained Brown's allegations were false and made with the intention to make the public think less of him.

"I've always known I was innocent," Collins said in a statement released by KU Athletics on Thursday morning.

"I'm glad it's officially over and I can now focus entirely on school and basketball," he said.

"This dismissal does not surprise me," said head KU basketball coach Bill Self. "I am happy for him that this is now totally behind him."

The civil case against Collins cannot be refiled, Burger said.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson declined to file criminal charges against Collins for the alleged incident, based on insufficient evidence.

Two calls to Brown's attorney, James Wisler, were not returned Thursday.

Comments

admireed 5 years, 10 months ago

Watch your back. This can happen to anyone

alm77 5 years, 10 months ago

motherof3 5 years, 10 months ago

Raider "Two things:The lawsuit should never have been filed to begin with, as the woman was obviously a gold-digger.I'm not surprised, however, that due to this being a high-profile individual the whole thing just "went away" with nothing happening." First off Raider do you know a thing about Mrs. Brown from the way that you are talking no you don't. With you not knowing anything about her how would you know if she were a gold digger or not. That and how would you feel if this happened to someone in your family? Alm 77 "You posters on here have NO Idea what you're talking about. In the end, Ms. Brown probably figured it was more trouble (for her and her family) than it was worth. Dropping the suit doesn't mean he was innocent, or that she "made it up". You can see what you want on the court, some of us will never see him the same way again"I agree with you. No one knows all that happen in that elevator other then Mrs. Brown and Collins.

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

Shocker! Frivolous and improvable from the start. And before the 'victim's advocates' start screaming bloody murder, if it could have been proven Collins had done this I'd have backed her all the way. But this was garbage from the outset.

Raider 5 years, 10 months ago

Two things:The lawsuit should never have been filed to begin with, as the woman was obviously a gold-digger. I'm not surprised, however, that due to this being a high-profile individual the whole thing just "went away" with nothing happening.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 10 months ago

There are only two people who know what, if anything, happened in that elevator. We'll likely never know one way or the other.

proudmom06 5 years, 10 months ago

That is insane to me. To me I think that one person saw another person in the shining light and wanted a little piece of it. I am glad that all of his charges were dropped, I think they were bogus!

jaywalker 5 years, 10 months ago

'scuse my poorly english....... should be 'unprovable'.

bangaranggerg 5 years, 10 months ago

I bet Sherron was so happy that she dropped the case that he rubbed his exposed genitals on 27 innocent schoolchildren. That still seems somewhat more likely then doing it to one janitor.

jcphawk 5 years, 10 months ago

If you read the order, you will see that the court made no findings in this case. Both parties "agreed" to drop the case. Settlement?

dweezil222 5 years, 10 months ago

alm77 (Anonymous) says: You posters on here have NO Idea what you're talking about. In the end, Ms. Brown probably figured it was more trouble (for her and her family) than it was worth. Dropping the suit doesn't mean he was innocent, or that she "made it up". You can see what you want on the court, some of us will never see him the same way again.===================================And yet your speculation has just as much evidence to support it as those claiming she was a gold-digger. The truth is only she and Sherron know for sure.

Alfred_W 5 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes people post multiple entries on a thread. It helps to know exactly which statement is being addressed.