Archive for Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sherron Collins’ court date set for April 15

A jury trial has been scheduled in the civil lawsuit filed against KU basketball player Sherron Collins.

August 13, 2008

Related document

Sherron Collins answer and counterclaim ( .PDF )

A civil lawsuit against Kansas University basketball player Sherron Collins is scheduled to be heard by a Douglas County jury on April 15.

Jessica Brown filed the lawsuit against Collins, in reference to an incident reported to have occurred at the Jayhawker Towers on the Kansas University campus.

In the lawsuit, Brown accused Collins of exposing himself and rubbing against her despite being told repeatedly to stop. She said the incident occurred May 18, 2007, in an elevator at Jayhawker Towers, where she worked. She seeks damages in excess of $75,000 for mental and physical problems.

Collins, a KU junior point guard, denies the allegations that he assaulted the woman. In a counterclaim filed last week, Collins seeks monetary damages from Brown accusing her of defamation and extreme and outrageous conduct. Collins maintains that Brown's allegations are false and made with the intention to make the public think less of him.

On Aug. 1, a judge set aside a default judgment he had previously issued when Collins did not respond to the lawsuit filed in May. An attorney for Collins filed a response to the lawsuit Aug. 4. On Monday, a district court judge scheduled the jury trial.

District Attorney Charles Branson declined to file criminal charges against Collins, based on insufficient evidence.

Comments

Kent Fisher 5 years, 8 months ago

stuckinthemiddle: You echo my sentiments. Regardless of our passion for KU basketball, if an athlete is found guilty of these types of accusations, they should be dismissed from the team. Period. I support Collins, Rush, Talib, Giles, etc., but these athletes do know better. If they are found guilty, I don't want them representing my team. Give me a break people...Don't try to justify that it was acceptable for Talib to remain on the team last year, after failing drug test(s). Not a good role model, and very unfair to the rest of the athletes.

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

He's not a corporation, bozo, nor will he have any cash at the time of the trial. And since he's got a counter-suit, he won't be dropping this.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 8 months ago

It won't matter so much what the evidence is. If he's busy trying to secure a good draft position, it'll be much cheaper to pay her off than be distracted by a trial.

Dayna Lee 5 years, 8 months ago

Any time I've ever spoken to him he has been an extremely polite and almost shy person. I can't imagine that this story is true.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

Nothing like a little lead time..

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

I doubt highly she's gonna get paid off. Insufficient evidence all the way around. If she were to win based on allegation only, I think I might have to seek out Elton John and accuse him of a couple things. Gonna get paid!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 8 months ago

The timing is perfect-- the season gets completed, Collins signs with an agent, she gets paid off, and trial is cancelled.

thomgreen 5 years, 8 months ago

Damn, double whammy, court date AND tax day.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 8 months ago

hmmm... I don't know about big cash or physical problems... but I do know that if some guy rubbed up against my wife, daughter, sister or mother in an unwanted sexual manner I'd want more than cash out of him...I'd like it if Collins didn't do what Brown claims... I'm a KU basketball fan and I like his game... but if he did do what Brown claims I wouldn't dismiss the ill effects it might have had on her and her getting cash from him shouldn't be the only consequence...he should be expelled from the team...

oldvet 5 years, 8 months ago

Wringing her hands in anticipation of a big cash payday probably lead to carpal tunnel syndrome...

davidsmom 5 years, 8 months ago

Regardless whether or not Ms. Brown's claims are accurate, can somebody please explain how being rubbed against results in "physical problems"?