Archive for Friday, November 7, 2008

Iran leader offers landmark congrats

November 7, 2008

— Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Thursday congratulated Barack Obama on his election win - the first time an Iranian leader has offered such wishes to a U.S. president-elect since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

An analyst said Ahmadinejad's message was a gesture from the hard-line president that he is open to some sort of reconciliation with the U.S.

Obama has said he is willing to hold direct diplomacy with Iranian leaders as a way to break the impasse between the two countries or give the U.S. more credibility to press for tougher sanctions if talks fail. His policy marks a departure from the Bush administration, which has refused high-level engagements with Iran.

Ahmadinejad congratulated the Democrat on "attracting the majority of voters in the election," according to excerpts carried by the official IRNA news agency.

The Iranian leader also said he hopes Obama will "use the opportunity to serve the (American) people and leave a good name for history" during his term in office.

Iran and U.S. have no formal diplomatic relations since 1979 and the hostage drama when militant Iranian students held 52 Americans captive 444 days.

Current U.S.-Iranian relations remain tense, with Washington accusing Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons and of providing support for Shiite militants who are killing U.S. soldiers in Iraq - charges Iran denies.

Comments

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

Bozo:."It's not a fear tactic- it's a fact well-borne out by the events and actions of the past eight years."It is totally a fear tactic. The only difference between Obama and Bush on which countries they would have invaded in the last 8 years is Iraq (except that Obama declared he would invade Pakistan and Bush did not, but leaving that aside for the moment:) Liberals have repeated the lie that Bush wants to take over the world to the point they have convinced themselves. Invading Iraq did not make Bush a warmonger when the vast majority of American's and Democrats supported it, and Iraq was in violation of several U.N. mandates and was harboring terrorists. So is everyone person (including most democrats) warmongers?"How about Iraq, the environment, the economy- you're with us or you're against us- is that enough?" bozoHow it the environment, and the economy "an example of when Bush required the world to kowtow" to the U.S.? Iraq is also not an example since it was the world (the United Nations) who demanded Iraq comply and it was the U.S. who enforced it. Even if it was unilateral (which it wasn't) it would only be an example of when Bush required Iraq to "kowtow" (or prove he wasn't making weapons of mass destruction). However, if invading a foreign country is how you define requiring the world to kowtow then Obama would also fit in this definition since he agrees with the invasion of Afghanistan and says he would invade Pakistan to get Bin Laden."Of course it was spun- and spun and spun and spun. You're still spinning it." - bozoDid you not hear his quote about meeting unconditionally with leaders of countries like Iran, etc., which he repeated multiple times? Do I need to find it for you?

BuffyloGal 6 years, 2 months ago

85% of the US adult population have a high school diploma. 27% have a bachelor's degree or higher. Only 27%. Do you know how few Americans have a passport? It's sad really.Since most Americans would not be able to locate Iran on a map, any more than they could Iraq several years ago when we went to war, I am pleased that we have a President-elect who knows the names and knows the games. Wasn't it Reagan who did the deal to have the hostages released After the election in 1979 so that he would look better than Carter before the election was held? He negotiated with Khomeini before he even got the job. Some would even call that cooperation with the enemy, but Reagan is of course in the Republican Pantheon of all that is good in the world so I must be mistaken.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

OK, satirical, which preconditions are you recommending?

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 2 months ago

Tom Shewmon (Tom Shewmon) says:"she thinks I'm a far-right kook!"That makes at least two of us.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

Satirical: I would say that Bush is an isolationist, though not in the typical sense. He definitely is an interventionist, but until recently, he has conducted his interventionist policies in an isolationist manner. He has alienated many of our allies, which has created somewhat of an isolated environment for the US on the world stage. I've heard Bush's foreign policy described as 'our way or the highway.' If I said this to my friends every time we were trying to make plants, I'm sure I would end up feeling very isolated.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

And which preconditions do you think would be acceptable for Iran to place on the US?

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

Satirical, why the condescending tone? The fact is that for the majority of the Bush administration, we have NOT communicated diplomatically with the 'Axis of Evil' nations. Only recently has the administration been trying this out. And how many of those nations who went into Iraq with us are still around in Iraq? Furthermore, those nations went into Iraq with us because they thought Iraq had WMD's and that their safety might also be at risk. The conflict there is arguably not over yet. Why does the international community behave as if the Iraq war is like a contagion? Oh, but I'm just a liberal lemming. I don't know crap about anything or have never had an original thought in my life, right? By the way, that 'my way or the highway' phrase was something I heard during an interview with a soldier in Iraq. He said that with the Obama administration we can hopefully move beyond that philosophy, since it HAS resulted in the US being almost a rogue nation in the eyes of the international community. I've had the opportunity to speak to people from places like China, Russia, and Peru, and I can tell you, this is what those people have related to me with regard to our foreign policy. But I guess maybe you are less interested the real issue here than you are about acting like a condescending ass.

JackKats 6 years, 2 months ago

How about Ayers being appointed as ambassador to Iran when Obama opens up diplomatic ties with Iran. He has alot in common with Ahmadinejad. We should take careful consideration on how Israel deals with terrorists and make our doctrine as close to theirs as possible. They have been able to remain a sovereign nation even in the midst of terroist nations surrounding them. What are you liberals going to do when you don't have Bush to blame? Will each of you accept the blame of failed doctrines of your one when they fail? Will you be able to look back and admit that you were lied to? I don't see liberals as ones who can take responsibilities for their own actions and look for their government to assist them in not having to take responsibility. We will see what happens when the honeymoon is over. To take a spin on Michelle Obama's words: "I for the first time in my life am ashamed of the President Elect"

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh man, Obama just can't do anything right, can he? We can tell because he hasn't been successful at fighting of Washington elite or bucking criticism. He's just going to naively skip into Iran and Ahmedinejad is going to brainwash him and send him packing back to the US with plans to destroy Israel--or the US.But this really is about how much sense the anti-Obama crowd is making here on this thread. I hope you all give yourselves multiple ulcers with false worries about the forthcoming Obama administration.

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

Someone at the start of this string wrote that Iwannajihad's congrats were a 'major breakthrough'. I don't think it's a 'bad' thing, but please.........it ain't no 'breakthrough'! Iran has been training and arming militants to fight and kill our troops in Iraq. The fact this cancer of a leader sends out kudos does nothin' but turn my stomach. But it's no more of a reflection on the President-elect than when the leader of the Aryan Nation endorsed him because his prominence in the race led to a recruiting surge.Personally, I'm not one of the many Americans with esteem issues that hopes the world loves us now because of Obama. Noone in France, Russia, Germany, China, etc. gives a flying you know what how we think of their elected officials. Why such the pre-occupation from us? Granted, most of the world ebbs and flows with the state of our State, and being the worlds wet nurse has blowback implications. I truly hope our rep is recovered over the next four years 'cuz the world is changing and we need to go with the flow instead of attempting to control it like we have for the last two terms. But make no mistake, when the shiitake mushroom hits the fan the phone will be ringin' in the Oval. I'm hoping the character traits logicsound listed for BO are on the money and that such a doctrine of new leadership will guide us successfully. Hell, 'hoping' isn't accurate, I 'bet' on it with my vote. God Bless America.

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

a_flock_of_jayhawks (Anonymous) says:"If it leads them to stop being a terrorist, then what's the problem?"I find naivety so humorous. Obama will be used as propaganda for the Iranian theocracy to perpetuate the government and it's radical policies including the destruction of Israel.

ksdivakat 6 years, 2 months ago

hey kmat, thats awesome! Cause everyday, people like you make me and my office staff bust a gut as well!!! Isnt that funny how that works?? And considering that I dont post on here everyday, I would say to check yourself again!!

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 2 months ago

Satirical (Anonymous) says:"Who wants to eliminate the dialog? You are creating a counter-factual fallacy of false alternatives (a common fear tactic used by liberals)."Maybe you didn't, and, besides, I didn't say that you did. But the fact - not fallacy - is that it is the way our foreign policy has been conducted with them until very recently; total isolation. That is not fear, it is the truth.

gdsacco 6 years, 2 months ago

"I've had the opportunity to speak to people from places like China, Russia, and Peru, and I can tell you, this is what those people have related to me with regard to our foreign policy."What kind of fool wants to please Chinese, Russians or Peruvians? What kind of prison would our country have to become in order for Chinese and Russians to look upon it favorably?There was a time when Democrats looked unfavorably upon the Chinese and Russian tyrannies, but now I guess we will join them.

Christine Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

This issue with Iran both terrifies me and tears at my heart. My ex is from Iran, and he is NOT a terrorist. He has spent his years in the U.S. working very hard. Lives his own life, and doesn't seek to destroy anyone else's.My beautiful daughter is half-Iranian. They both still have family in Iran. Their concept of extended family is much broader than ours. Rank-and-file Iranians are just hard-working, ordinary people like us. They do not have the freedom to call any of their presidents disastrous mistakes, or to criticize the regime. If they do, they are tortured, executed, or just "disappear".Iran's government, however, is the ugly, glaring exception. Ahmadinejad has openly called for the destruction of the nation of Israel. When a man who hates Jews and wishes to destroy Israel congratulates our president-elect, he does so because he hopes and believes (founded or unfounded) that he will have an ally in him.I don't want to see the day come when we go to war with Iran. I equally don't want to see Iran destroy or attempt to destroy Israel. Ahmadinejad would not like the consequences.

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

Logicsound04:."I said experience from a time duration perspective:"And I mockingly pointed out that Obama has neither general experience nor temporal experience.--------------------------"He did not condemn anyone" LS04Tomato, tomato (Toe may to, Toe mah toe). The point is that he "urged restraint" on Georgia who was being invaded; which is liking "urging restraint" on Poland when Germany invaded. Contrasted with McCain who was extremely familiar with the situation because of his experience.----------------------------"but please don't forget that Obama was absolutely correct on the fact that going into Iraq in the first place was a terrible idea," LS04(1)Even a broken clock is right today. He was a crackpot who just happened to (subjectively) get it right, without the same information as the overwhelming majority of Democrat senators who voted in favor of it.(2)He was in the Illinois legislature at the time and took no political risk opposing the war.(3)If guessing right on Iraq shows sufficient judgment to lead the United States of America then I know a janitor who should be the next POTUS.----------------------------"-all charitable contributionsoff the table-period." TomPerhaps I could have been more clear; his anecdotal evidence that neither he nor his wife would be supporting any charitable contributions does not mean (as your counterargument suggested) that all charitable contributions by everyone will stop.------------------------------"Just like "cooperating with the enemy" is not the same thing as having high-level negotiations with another potentially hostile country." - LS04I agree, but it is naÃive, will likely benefit the radical foreign leader you are meeting with, his radical agenda, and will not change his mind. But like I said previously, I think he will be told that is a stupid idea by anyone with any foreign policy leader and won't follow through with it.

BuffyloGal 6 years, 2 months ago

Funny how when Reagan does it, it's a negotiation. For Obama, it is terrorism. My how times have changed! When Carter tried, well, Reagan had the better deal didn't he what with Iran-Contra and all.

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

ksdivakat (Anonymous) says: I can see it now::Obama and Amhadinejerk, sipping tea and daintily nibbling at crumpets on the white house lawn, discussing their new, diplomacy, so that Iran doesnt try to blow us off the map, and all the while, N Korea, or Russia is locked and loaded and pointed straight at the US, and what we will hear is "Now fellas, lets not do this ok? Cant we all be friends?"Geez:this is so entertaining, it should be on comedy central!!! LOL______One day, we'll teach you to stop posting on subjects you obviously know absolutely nothing about. Almost every day, you manage to post something on here that makes me and my coworkers bust out with laughter. At least your good for that. "LOL"Who are Iran's biggest allies? Would they be Russia and N. Korea? Do you honestly think that diplomacy with Iran means Obama would ignore Iran's two biggest allies? Who has helped to supply Iran with the nuclear technology they need? Why, that would be Russia and N. Korea.That is the problem with you - you don't understand the interconnections of the world and that you can't isolate any one country. Until you have a grasp of basic foreign policy and start learning some basic history, understanding of world cultures and religions, you should really stop your silly little posts. I think you and Tom were made for each other.

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm suprised that Tom isn't hiding in a Kave with his Klan brothers. Of course, I guess they could have wireless internet.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh, and by the way, Satirical, you are the one who invented the term 'isolationist interventionist.' Then you tried to put the term in my mouth. Again, this speaks to your desire to act like a condescending ass. If you read my post carefully, you'll see that I intended to convey that Bush's interventionist policy has resulted in isolation. Basically, it has ticked a lot of countries off, which is an unintended side-effect--as opposed to a stated or implied goal (i.e. isolationist interventionist)--of Bush's foreign policy. He has simply been an incompetent interventionist, in my opinion.

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

Whoops: "Even a broken clock is right (twice a day)"

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

a_flock_of_jayhawks (Anonymous) says:"But the fact - not fallacy - is that it is the way our foreign policy has been conducted with them until very recently; total isolation. That is not fear, it is the truth."Please start making sense or I will have to discontinue this conversation because it seems to be going nowhere. By "them" do you mean the Bush administration? I will assume so. Do you even know what isolationism is? I think most liberals would argue that Bush has been too much of an interventionist (the polar opposite of isolationist). Are you getting your "facts" from Keith Olberman?Or by "them" do you mean Iran? If so then the Bush administration is not isolating them, as evidenced by the meeting Condi had with an Iranian representative a few months ago. Or did you mean North Korea, and the multi-lateral negotiations that have gone on there? You need to get some new "facts"Obama was apparently very successful at getting many of the ignorant people to vote for him. I guess that is what you can accomplish with 650 million.

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

Logicsoun04:"All charitable contributions are off the table because a Democrat was elected president?"He never declared all charitable contributions will stop, but studies show charitable giving decreases as taxes increase. The U.S. is the most charitable nation on earth, both in terms of real dollars and percentage of income. When taxes go up for the wealthy, they have less money to give to their favorite charities. So the Dems in the name of charity wants to redistribute wealth to those they think deserve it but fail to understand this redistribution is already occuring. Personally, I trust individuals who are closer to the problems more than the federal government at deciding who needs the help. (Which is one reason I am a conservative, it is more efficient at helping people and solving social problems)

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 2 months ago

madmike (Anonymous) says:"Nothing like being congratulated by a terrorist."If it leads them to stop being a terrorist, then what's the problem?

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 2 months ago

Satirical (Anonymous) says:"I find naivety so humorous."Oh, so you think I am naive? Have you ever been to that part of the world? Didn't think so. I have.If anyone thought President Obama may have been naive before yesterday, they should keep in mind that he received his first official security briefing yesterday, including a summary of covert ops. If you think that he doesn't have a firm grasp as to what is going on, then it is you that are naive and you're going to get schooled proper.

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

Bozo:I wonder how you would defend some of Palin's answers to questions given your defense of Obama (claiming it was a bad question, or conceding it was a bad answer but forgivable)."But BushCo sycophants have bought into the notion that everybody in the world needs to kowtow to whatever the US demands." BozoThis is a fear tactic repeated by liberals; don't vote for Bush (or any Republican) because he (they) is (are) a warmonger(s). It amazes me how people are so blind to their biases. Bush like every President before him and likely after him will negotiate with foreign countries and request them to follow policies that favor the U.S. or the world community (and indirectly the U.S.). Obama will do the exact same thing, so maybe you can give me an example of when Bush required the world to kowtow and I will give you an example of how Obama will likely have the same or similar foreign policy in a different context.":then spun as a desire for "unconditional" meetings with folks like Ahmadenijad." - BozoThis wasn't spin, it was what he said (although he didn't name Ahmadenijad).

ksdivakat 6 years, 2 months ago

claiming "It seems we have a regular brain trust of foreign policy experts right here in li'l ol' Kansas" is almost as silly as saying that someone who has been a senator for 2 years is qualified to run the country and its foreign affairs.Just saying..................

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

Diva - I don't care what size you are. I judge on character, not appearance. I do find it very amusing that a person that loves to talk about how religious she is and can be so critical of those who aren't Christians also posts online for swinging. I doubt there are too many divakats in larryville. Just don't spout off about your Christian ways and how bad others are when you are trolling for swingers online. Skeleton fell out of that closet, didn't it?

kmat 6 years, 2 months ago

Oh Diva - you will never learn. I actually thought you were younger than you are, based on your posts. Then a coworker looked online and saw that you are a SSBBW looking for fun. You should really not use the same screen names for every site you are a member of. So your coworkers laugh at your ignorance too, huh. That must suck.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

"I wonder how you would defend some of Palin's answers to questions given your defense of Obama "Some of her answers can be forgiven because of the context of the interview. Unfortunately, they are way outnumbered by the answers that betrayed her basic ignorance on a wide array of issues, a problem that the extremely well-educated Obama has never shown any indication of having."This is a fear tactic repeated by liberals; don't vote for Bush (or any Republican) because he (they) is (are) a warmonger(s)."It's not a fear tactic-- it's a fact well-borne out by the events and actions of the past eight years."so maybe you can give me an example of when Bush required the world to kowtow "How about Iraq, the environment, the economy-- you're with us or you're against us-- is that enough?"This wasn't spin, it was what he said (although he didn't name Ahmadenijad)."Of course it was spun- and spun and spun and spun. You're still spinning it.

ksdivakat 6 years, 2 months ago

I can see it now......Obama and Amhadinejerk, sipping tea and daintily nibbling at crumpets on the white house lawn, discussing their new, diplomacy, so that Iran doesnt try to blow us off the map, and all the while, N Korea, or Russia is locked and loaded and pointed straight at the US, and what we will hear is "Now fellas, lets not do this ok? Cant we all be friends?"Geez...this is so entertaining, it should be on comedy central!!! LOL

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

logicsound04..."Nothing about the idea of foriegn policy precludes a less-experienced (in terms of time) person from outperforming a more-experienced person."Yeah, experience isn't important at all:like when Russia invaded Georgia and Obama condemned both sides, and when he claimed the Surge in Iraq would make the situation worse when in reality it has been extremely successful and allow the troops to come home soon. Experience is totally overrated.

jaywalker 6 years, 2 months ago

misplaced,Sorry to hear 'bout your family's stresses. I have an Iranian friend with similar worries. I don't believe you need to worry about the U.S. going to war with Iran, though. I'm bettin' Israel is a serious threat to launch attacks on nuclear facilities, and without the backing of the U.S. My feel is that Obama is more pro-Palestinian and won't back Israeli aggression, but a war may be in their future anyway.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 2 months ago

Cool,once that other clown moves out of DC AMerica will re-earn its spot at the top, as a world leader.This is a major breakthrough and he isn't even in office yet!!

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

Bozo:"I believe you need to be more careful how cavalierly you bandy that term around, satirical."I am careful, but it fully applies in this situation. In reality I think he realizes what he said during the Democratic debate (about unconditional talks with Iran) was foolish, and he backpedaled on several occasions including when he talked with Jewish groups.However, if he is serious about that pledge then Obama is naÃive.

beatrice 6 years, 2 months ago

Not yet in office, and for some Obama has already ruined the country. Gee, if that were the case, do you think Americans would have favored him in such a landslide election? Tom, I keep telling you, you can still move to Alaska and join Todd Palin's secessionist party. With the polar ice caps disappearing, it isn't really that cold up there any more. You'll adjust -- at least better than you are adjusting to an Obama presidency.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

His statement almost surely has more to do with Iranian domestic politics than anything else. He's up for re-election, and that doesn't look at all certain, especially given that the ayatollahs who really run the country are looking more towards greater engagement with and involvement in the rest of the world, not less.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

After 8 years of BushCo naivete, which has led us to nothing but disaster, I believe you need to be more careful how cavalierly you bandy that term around, satirical.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 2 months ago

Satirical (Anonymous) says:"How am I going to get "schooled proper"?"When you witness how President Obama handles our foreign affairs and policy. BTW, I suppose I shouldn't have expected you to understand given what you have posted on this thread already - your mind is already made up.You are mistakenly equating a country that has used terrorism with a terrorist. Sat, there actually is a difference that has escaped many folks, especially those on the conservative side of thought. If you go back and study how Iran came to where it is today, ruled by a ruthless dictator that was propped up by the most powerful country in the world, you might grasp how a revolution occurred there and how they may have felt that they would have a need to resort to terrorism. Of course, that's boiling it down almost too simply, so I would encourage you to study this topic in depth before making the type of assertions you have again. Another point. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." Eliminating all dialog with your enemies almost ensures that they will arm themselves against you. It's high time for a new approach. Remember how the USSR fell? Yep, there was a continuing dialog there.

ksdivakat 6 years, 2 months ago

intelligence-knowledge of foreign cultures-sensitivity to differences in culture-willingness to listen-throrough understanding of basic foreign policy concepts-humility*********This sounds like most people in the US, with the exception of lawrence of course, we must take out the willingness to listen, and humility of course, but if thats all it takes to be President, then half the country can do that! I was actually for Obama, until I started asking questions on here before the election, and people like you attacked and disrespected not only me but other people, and if that was how the dems were gonna act, I wanted no part of it, and now I really dont want any part of it, dems dont want change, they want control and there is a difference.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

Max1....Do you read the articles prior to posting them? First, you made no argument. Second even your implied argument is not supported by the articles. I would actually explicitly state your implied argument and counter it, but you would just reply with another article and we would never have an actual discussion so I decline.

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

Buffylogal:Negotiating to free hostages is not the same thing as cooperating with the enemy.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 6 years, 2 months ago

ksdivakat says..."This sounds like most people in the US"I strongly disagree. Most of the people I have dealt with in the US, especially Kansas, have practically no knowledge of foreign cultures and possess very little, if any understanding of basic foreign policy concepts. That's OK, at least there is someone taking the helm that does. I honestly believe that Bush also had these qualities, he occasionally just chose to ignore them to our country's detriment.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 2 months ago

There have never been and never will be unconditional talks between heads of state, even if they are friendly. It was a bad question to which there was no possible good answer that could be given in the silly wastes of time that pass for "debate" in this country.But BushCo sycophants have bought into the notion that everybody in the world needs to kowtow to whatever the US demands. Obama's recognition that that is a very stupid and impossible standard to achieve or maintain is then spun as a desire for "unconditional" meetings with folks like Ahmadenijad.

ksdivakat 6 years, 2 months ago

So does that make me less human cause im not a size 0?? Or less educated I suppose, thats what people like you like to try to do to other folks, but guess what?? I aint falling for the okey doke! You have no clue in your little pea brain head who I am or what I am about. And for all you know, perhaps I am under the screen name but thats not who I really am! get a life and tell your little office staff (if you have one) to get back to work! The chosen one will not like it if your not paying your taxes to him!!!! More work makes him more money!!! Oh yeah and by the way...God bless you and have a great weekend!!! LOL

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

RedwoodCoast:Yeah, Bush is totally an isolationist interventionist (a term you seem to have just invented). Like the dozens of other nations who went with us into Iraq, or Afghanistan, or the mulit-lateral talks with North Korea that have been more successful than Clinton's (and Kerry's proposed) uniltateral talks, or the negotiations between Condi (along with several other foreign representatives) and Iran. "I've heard Bush's foreign policy described as 'our way or the highway.'" redwoodWell, if you have heard it described that way, then it must be true. I guess looking into facts must be too burdensome and it is just easier to follow the extremely loud liberal lemmings who claim everything Bush has done is bad.

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

a_flock_of_jayhawks (Anonymous) says: "your mind is already made up"Correct, my mind is already made up to not blindly follow the cult of personality Barrack Obama and think for myself."You are mistakenly equating a country that has used terrorism with a terrorist." flockWhen did I do this? "Eliminating all dialog with your enemies almost ensures that they will arm themselves against you." flockWho wants to eliminate the dialog? You are creating a counter-factual fallacy of false alternatives (a common fear tactic used by liberals). Meeting with radical leaders without certain preconditions is foolish. Again if you support meeting the President of Iran and North Korea without condition then you are naÃive.

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

a_flock_of_jayhawks (Anonymous) says: "Oh, so you think I am naive?"If you take the ridiculous position that Obama will lead terrorist away from being terrorist then you are naÃive. How did that work for Neville Chamberlain? I don't think visiting a location grants anyone omnipotence."If you think that he doesn't have a firm grasp as to what is going on, then it is you that are naive and you're going to get schooled proper." - flockThis statement doesn't even make sense. One can be brief on issues and still be naÃive about them and the correct solutions to the issues. How am I going to get "schooled proper"?

Satirical 6 years, 2 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says: "And what preconditions should there be before the preconditions are even discussed?"I am not saying I have all the right answers, the experts on this issue can figure out which preconditions are necessary to accomplish our objectives and still allow the meeting to go forward, but I am saying I definitely know what the wrong answer is. I don't know exactly how to build a nuclear reactor, but I do know it is not accomplished by rubbing two sticks together.And just to be clear we are discussing a meeting between both Presidents (which is what Obama said), not general diplomatic discussions. Condi (along with representatives from several other nations) recently met with a representative from Iran. (Unsurprisingly it didn't solve anything, but that doesn't mean negotiations at that level should stop.)