Archive for Saturday, May 17, 2008

Beloved, talented parrot goes missing

May 17, 2008

Bird blows away

Most people see parrots as just a pet, but Andrew Dobson says his missing parrot Tui was much more than that. Enlarge video

Andrew Dobson was training Tui, his African grey Congo parrot, outside when it blew away in the wind Monday afternoon. Dobson has been searching for the bird all week. He spent at least 12 hours a day with Tui, teaching her to speak and creating videos for YouTube.

Monday afternoon Andrew Dobson was training Tui, his parrot, for free flight when a gust of wind carried the bird away.

Where the African grey Congo parrot is now, Dobson is uncertain.

"It was the first time I ever let her outside," Dobson said. "She hadn't learned how to negotiate with the wind yet."

Dobson, 35, a New Zealand native, has walked several hours a day in his neighborhood near the Boardwalk Apartments asking neighbors if they've seen Tui.

"She means the world to me," he said.

Dobson bought Tui two years ago from a breeder in Nebraska.

Working from home as a hypnotherapist, Dobson spends at least 12 hours a day with Tui, teaching her to speak and creating videos for YouTube. Tui has attracted over 10,000 hits on some of the videos, which Dobson has posted under the name "kskiwi." Some have commented that Tui has an Australian accent.

"They are as intelligent as a 3-year-old. They have a vocabulary up to 2,000 words," Dobson said.

Dobson said he has met several "compassionate neighbors" from walking door-to-door inquiring about Tui.

One neighbor, Mary Weisert, 56, who lives five blocks north of Dobson, has given him hope. She said Wednesday night her three dogs were barking at something that was "squawking." She thought nothing of it until she was out gardening Thursday and Dobson walked by and asked her about Tui.

"He was ecstatic," Weisert said of Dobson's reaction to the news the parrot may be nearby.

Anyone with information about Tui is asked to contact Dobson at andrew@hypnoticmp3.com or the Lawrence Humane Society at 843-6835.

Comments

naturalist 5 years, 11 months ago

I hope he finds his parrot and that the LJW lets us know there is a happy ending. It's horrible to lose one's pets.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

I wonder, since they are so much smarter than we are, if they don't experience a "honeymoon phase" of freedom.Exploring the world around them. Being as intelligent as they are, I would think they go "off the wall happy" for all the new input their brains are receiving.Awfully hard to worry about a lost critter..I've lost a few myself.

been_there 5 years, 11 months ago

Note to self, when I get the bird back, teach the bird his phone number. Hope some sleaze isn't keeping it for himself. Can't believe it has not been sighted, I truly believe it would have tried to make human contact by now. My birds always demanded physical attention from me. If nothing else it knows people mean food.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, funny for you but not funny to the guy.HRH Elizabeth Borden Dog once took off and was gone for like two days and I liked to died.Came back all sweaty, full of stickers and hungry.Silly Girl Dog.When I lived in Perry, Chopper took off, crossed the highway and jumped into someone's car at the gas station!Fortuneately, Gonzo called me and told me that Chopper, the idiot, had been taken over to Doc Kevin's place from which I ransomed him the next day.Chopper is now around 15 and going strong.I hope the parrot finds its way home.Not funny to have your animal friend disappear; not funny at all.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

This bird says " your getting sleepy, sleepy, sleepy". Lol.--LOL

igby 5 years, 11 months ago

Let me guess!This bird says " your getting sleepy, sleepy, sleepy". Lol.

been_there 5 years, 11 months ago

A bird that has spent that much time with a human would surely want human companionship. I hope that someone has not decided to keep the bird for himself and does the right thing.

Fatty_McButterpants 5 years, 11 months ago

He spends 12 hours a day with the bird + he works from home as a hypnotherapist = he doesn't get a lot of work as a hypnotherapist.

Marion Lynn 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh, man, what a deal!Hope the bird is found!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

It`s not a homing pigeon ....what the hell was he thinking ,taking a exotic pricey bird outdoors anyway! The bird is obviously smarter than the owner!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Maybe the bird got tired of being trained for 12 hours a day and saw her chance 2 escape! Or maybe the bird got tired of the you tube exploitation and is out looking for an agent to get a bigger % of bird seed and the required 15 min . breaks during a long day working!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

He should check out the library computers, she's probably trying to contact him thru Youtube.

Seriously tho, I hope she's found before the next storms.