Archive for Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Marine Corps, Army exceed recruiting goals

May 13, 2008

— The Marine Corps far surpassed its recruiting goal last month and could eventually be more than a year ahead of schedule in its plan to grow the force to 202,000 members.

All military services met or exceeded their monthly recruiting goals in April, with the Marine Corps signing 142 percent of the number it was looking for, the Pentagon said.

The Army signed 101 percent of its goal, recruiting 5,681 against a goal of 5,650. The Navy and Air Force met their goals - 2,905 sailors and 2,435 airmen.

The Marine Corps enlisted 2,233 recruits against a goal of 1,577.

Recruiting is easier in a slow economy, which limits other job possibilities that are available. But officials also noted that the Army and Marines have added recruiters as well as bonuses and other special benefits to attract more recruits in the midst of the unpopular war in Iraq.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"The discussion between Bozo and I had to do with his purposeful disdain of anything military. "That you have to resort to simplistic strawman statements is indicative of the level of "discussion" you are willing to have, Gina.War is nothing more than organized mass murder. Under very extreme circumstances, that is sometimes the only remaining recourse, and it's almost always a result of catastrophic political incompetence and failure-- an act of desperation on the part political leaders who are too violent and stupid to find any other recourse. Sometimes as with BushCo, the political leadership goes to war with no better reasons than greed and bloodlust.When war happens, even honorable soldiers will be at best be put in a position of kill or be killed, or even ordered to commit heinous crimes against unarmed civilian populations. Whether your son has personally been put in such a situation, I have no way of knowing. But what I do know is that many thousands of his fellow marines and soldiers have been put in that position, and it's a lose-lose situation. I understand why a parent such as yourself would defend your son's choice of a military career-- but did you really want your kid to grow up to be a mindless mass murderer? Because under BushCo, that's what many thousands of them have been required to become.

gogoplata 5 years, 11 months ago

I really am not thinking that you are stupid. There is a lot of blame to go around on this one. I myself (regrettably) voted twice for George W. Bush. 2 years ago I was the "love it or leave it", freedom ain't free, "troops are fighting for our freedom" guy. But I realized that this war is bs. We the people have failed to reign in our public servant in chief. War is a racket for the state and it always has been. The troops themselves who swore an oath to support and defend the constitution have broken thier oath by following the orders to wage an unconstitutional war. Where is the honor in that? The administrations propaganda machine whipped up a fear of a "mushroom cloud" and the people of this country bought it. I really believed there were WMD's, I believed that Saddam had something to do with 911, I believed that we were going to get Osama Bin Laden. We made a mistake. So lets not let it happen again. If it was a mistake to go it is a mistake to stay. How would you feel about your son dying for a mistake? We should not trust our leaders. We should demand a congressional declaration of war before US fighting men and women are asked to die.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

Gogo: "Your sons have been put in harms way and they are not protecting our freedom. Instead of getting mad at the people pointing out the fact that your sons are being taken advantage of by their commander in chief, I would think that you would direct your anger toward the ones responsible for taking them away from their families and putting thier butts on the line half a world away.the only way this stops is when the people of this country stop believing this "patriotic" propaganda."My patriotism has little to do with agreeing with "w". I never said I agreed with waging war on Iraq. The discussion between Bozo and I had to do with his purposeful disdain of anything military. Then you step in with defending Bozo, and basically stating that I am too stupid to see beyond the "patriotic" progoganda. As far as I am concerned, you and bozo are one and the same.

gogoplata 5 years, 11 months ago

Gina, tell me what you think I am wrong about.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

Places bullseye target on wall and bangs head on it.

gogoplata 5 years, 11 months ago

Gina, this is what I was responding to on my last post. He's an idiot that has no creed, no honor, and no courage. He is committed, though, or needs to be. He has no intelligent concept of the military nor what it means to this nation. He's content to sit under the umbrella of protection they afford, pull his b's, and rant away as if he knows all.I agree with you on having a meaningful honest talk about this.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"Seriously, stop pigeon-holing people. When you try to box people into a type, you lose the opportunity to learn from someone else or to teach another to view a topic a new way. Insults and name-calling just make others defensive and put up walls. It's easy to lash out (I've been guilty, too). Anger is the easiest emotion to illicit from others. "You should seriously consider taking your own advice.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

Bozo and Gogo, not agreeing with you does not make me or jrudy "hysterical". I would not presume that because you two continue to wage war on our platitudes and creeds that would make you anti-American. Who says I'm not outraged? Just because my son is in the military doesn't mean I agree with the Commander-in-Chief.Just because I'm proud of my son and other vets doesn't mean I think only military people are patriotic. Seriously, stop pigeon-holing people. When you try to box people into a type, you lose the opportunity to learn from someone else or to teach another to view a topic a new way. Insults and name-calling just make others defensive and put up walls. It's easy to lash out (I've been guilty, too). Anger is the easiest emotion to illicit from others. Let's put the gloves down and act like adults.

gogoplata 5 years, 11 months ago

jrudy, how do you know he has no creed(whatever that is), honor, or courage. You do know that semper fidelis, duty, honor, commitment, and courage predate the USMC and the US Army. The troops and the "support the troops" crowd don't have the market cornered in those things. A person who feels called to stand against a corrupt government that has gotten the country involved in a deceptive and illegal war represents what 1776 style patriotism is all about.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

jrudyhawk and gina-- your hysteria is unbecoming.I've never said that the military isn't an honorable profession, and I am willing to take your word that your kids are doing their best to serve with honor.But what's clear is that the military has been misused for purposes other than the defense of this country or any of our freedoms. And that is an abuse of everyone in the military. The fact remains that any time anyone goes to war, anywhere for any reason, insanity and wanton death and destruction are always the result. If I were in the military, or had a son or daughter there, I would be outraged at the betrayal by BushCo. Instead, you want to fall back on meaningless platitudes and fairy tales.

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

Duplenty: "While I don't necessairily disagree with what the bozos, logarithmics, etc. say, don't lump me in with them."Let's not talk about nuance, it's not what we do here. Us vs. them, black vs. white, that's what we're good at, and we're too old to change.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

jrudy, thank you for your comment. I am very proud of my son and all vets. I wear a 'I support our troops" wrist band. I recieved one from a vet while I was on my way to my son's Marine basic training graduation. I wore it until it broke recently. Ben at the VFW in KCMO was kind enough to send me a replacement (they are not available to purchase). I was very happy to have a new one as I had committed to wearing it until all troops are withdrawn from Iraq. My son returns there in January.It isn't difficult to see that Bozo cannot grasp a military mindset. I cannot comment on his intellect in other aspects. We all take on a bit of an online persona that may or may not accurately reflect who we are in real life. I choose to bear my real name as I believe in being honest and any remarks I make here I would make in real life.Sorry, this got long-winded.Peace

jrudyhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Gina, I'm an Army vet and in your corner on every point. For your own sanity, my advice is to refrain from any 'discussion' w/ Bozo. He's an idiot that has no creed, no honor, and no courage. He is committed, though, or needs to be. He has no intelligent concept of the military nor what it means to this nation. He's content to sit under the umbrella of protection they afford, pull his b's, and rant away as if he knows all. Save your breath for someone that matters and is able to have an intelligent dialogue.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"I didn't intend it as gratuitous, but more as patronizing."I'd say it was both."Are you sorry its ending?"Internet patter is eternal, isn't it? And kind of an adult version of tag.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

What creed? I'm not the Marine. I didn't intend it as gratuitous, but more as patronizing.Are you sorry its ending? lol

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

" Oh, Bozo, I don't know what chemically enhanced world you live in, but I can pretty much guarantee our worlds will never meet. I do enjoy the banter. =)"Too bad you had to end it with such a gratuitous remark. Is that just part of the creed?

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

gogoplata 5 years, 11 months ago

We were attacked on American soil. And you should take a look at is how the Bush Administration used those attacks to misuse your sons. Your sons have been put in harms way and they are not protecting our freedom. Instead of getting mad at the people pointing out the fact that your sons are being taken advantage of by their commander in chief, I would think that you would direct your anger toward the ones responsible for taking them away from their families and putting thier butts on the line half a world away. THE ONLY WAY THIS STOPS IS WHEN THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY STOP BELIEVING THIS "PATRIOTIC" PROPAGANDA.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure Lynndie England's mom was just as proud of her.

Jean1183 5 years, 11 months ago

Gina, they will never understand (unless we are attacked on American soil and then they will LOVE your son & mine).Thanks to your son from an Army mom. Whose own son BTW, just graduated Phi Theta Kappa with an Associates Degree and plans on making a career of the military.....AND he had to get a waiver to enlist 6 years ago you judgemental hypocrites.

cool 5 years, 11 months ago

perpetual war !that's the plan for profiteering by corporations.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOIe5...

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"Perhaps you might, learn about miliary mores before bashing them."Sorry, Gina, but your ideal world doesn't exist. Once the shooting and bombing starts, insanity sets in, and no creeds and no amount of training can prevent the tragedies and injustices that ensue. That's been the fact of war forever, and just because your son is a Marine doesn't change that.

gogoplata 5 years, 11 months ago

The US Constitution declares this war illegal. Congress has no authority from the constitution to pass an authorization to fight war on to the President. Read "Violating the Constitution With an Illegal War"http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul57.html

cowgomoo 5 years, 11 months ago

What court has declared this war illegal? When did congress vote to rescind thier authorization?

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

Bozo, WTF. Being asked to do anything illegal or immoral is not exclusive to the military. Part of basic training is to learn to follow orders without hesitation. Because to hesitate could cost a life. But after basic training, more training includes what to do in situations as you described. The Marine creed is Honor, Courage and Commitment. Those are drilled into the recruit, the soldier, the leaders and on up. Certainly, there are going to be "bad apples", but that is the exception and not the rule. Perhaps you might, learn about miliary mores before bashing them.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

"The Marine Corps far surpassed its recruiting goal last month and could eventually be more than a year ahead of schedule in its plan to grow the force to 202,000 members."--------------does anyone else think that number is wacky?

goatdog 5 years, 11 months ago

I really am deeply impressed. I had no idea Americans cared so much about Arab Muslims.

beobachter 5 years, 11 months ago

gigolo, what concepts of morality do you have? based on the content of your average post, no morality at all. when will your racist posts and racism in general get you booted again?

lucky_man 5 years, 11 months ago

I'll hand to liberals for making themselves successfully look like a huge ass; the only time they lean on moral/immoral is when discussing a war. I couldn't be that big of an ass if I tried, drunk as a skunk and in a crowd of socialites. Other than that, morals or the concept of morality is kicked to the curb by libs. Ya'll crack me up---seriously.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 11 months ago

Thanks to all who have and currently service in the military!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"However, a military career is a worthy career. "I never said it wasn't. But when you join the military, you do what you're told, and if what you're told to do is illegal and immoral, it creates a tough situation for any soldier, sailor or marine. Iraq and even Afghanistan are such tough situations. I don't envy your son's position, even if his intentions are honorable.

Corey Williams 5 years, 11 months ago

"Some folks inherit star spangled eyes,Ooh, they send you down to war, lord,And when you ask them, how much should we give? Ooh, they only answer more! more! more!"-CCR

gogoplata 5 years, 11 months ago

I am no pacifist and I think that killing in war is justified when it is in self defense. But is it self defense when you kill invading another country that never attacked you? Are we the good guys here? What would you do if China invaded the US to liberate us from George Bush, or because we posess WMDs? Wouldn't we consider the soldiers of the invading army to be murderers? I would not want to be a part of what we are doing in Iraq, and I would not encourage anyone that I care about to sign up to be a part of it. Having said that I do think that a military career is a good one provided that the military is not being misused by those in power. What are the chances of that happening?

bunnyhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

One can only wonder if they're 'fudging' the recruiting numbers as much as they 'fudge' all the other 'information' from this administration!!!!!

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 11 months ago

as long as those kids know what they're getting themselves into... certainly not something I'd recommend to any young person...

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

Bozo. you missed my point, on purpose, I would guess. I am not going to defend the war, because I think we have no business being in Iraq either. We could "have a presence" there until the end of time and it won't make a difference. However, a military career is a worthy career. And, as a nurse, I am well aware of the possible long-term affects, bozo. Please do not insult me intelligence simply because I didn't fall over myself agreeing with you.As far as lowering the standards, perhaps the Army does that. My son is a Marine and as far I know, there are no lowered standards. And, one last comment, right-wing, left-wing. The only ones who care are the ones throwing these labels around. Peace.

lucky_man 5 years, 11 months ago

Fear and Loathing In Lawrence.

gogoplata 5 years, 11 months ago

--It just drives the left nuts when young Americans believe enough in their country and enough in liberty to take action. These young people are committed to making these United States a safer place and the world a better place. US servicemembers are supplying humanitarian aid in Burma, they are preparing for flights into China to assist our potential adversary because they care about freedom. They are risking their lives in every corner of this world to show that they and America cares. Daily I thank God for the young people of this country committed to freedom and willing to serve their country. They are heroes, not cannon fodder.They have been duped and they are being used and when you pass on this type of false propaganda you increase the chances that they will be duped and used again and again.

gphawk89 5 years, 11 months ago

"Daily I thank God for the young people of this country committed to freedom and willing to serve their country. They are heroes, not cannon fodder."I'll second that...

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

"The problem is the profiteering warmongers, not the method of staffing the military, blueharley"Actually, to some extent, I will agree with you on that, bozo.

cool 5 years, 11 months ago

i did not serve between the ages of 18 & 24 during Vietnam and feel very lucky to have avoided service during 1969 - 1975. fear factor ? you bet.some people are lucky / some not.i have a second cousin that served WWII in Iceland.I have a contemporary who served during Vietnam as a ski patroller in Germany. Jim was an olympic class skier and in the army in Europe. They noticed that he was an excellent skier and EU ski areas do not have ski patrol employees as we do. So - the army made him a MP patroller to keep our guys (usually drinking too much) from bothering the other euros at their resorts....not a bad gig during '65 - '70.

malcolm_x_obama 5 years, 11 months ago

It just drives the left nuts when young Americans believe enough in their country and enough in liberty to take action. These young people are committed to making these United States a safer place and the world a better place. US servicemembers are supplying humanitarian aid in Burma, they are preparing for flights into China to assist our potential adversary because they care about freedom. They are risking their lives in every corner of this world to show that they and America cares. Bozo however ridicules their patriotism. Probably because Bozo is a coward and self centered. Bozo reeks of elitist snobbish obamunism. Daily I thank God for the young people of this country committed to freedom and willing to serve their country. They are heroes, not cannon fodder.

gogoplata 5 years, 11 months ago

If you take the time to look you will find the the guys who started this nation warned of large standing armies. They knew the temptation to use force would end up being to great to resist. Well look what we have now. A corrupt American Empire with Troops stationed in over 120 countries across the world. Most people who are antiwar are not against their fellow citizens who are in the military. They are against the misuse of those men and women, they are against the way the leaders of our nation piss away resources funded by our tax dollars, they are against using these men and women to fight detrimental, unconstitutional wars and then lying to us all saying they are defending our freedom. I am not anti America, or an America hater. I hate the corrupt policies that our government leaders choose for us.

cool 5 years, 11 months ago

the real patriots are those who point out a corrupt war, war crimes, torture, and increasing 'corporatization of the economy' away from the goals of a free country & real democracy.

cool 5 years, 11 months ago

is it a 'free capitalist society' or rather socialized militarism ?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOIe5...

BigAl 5 years, 11 months ago

I agree 100% with duplenty. The posts of 10:09 and 10:33. By the way, the reasons for being in Iraq have changed over the years. And I am a proud veteran.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

The problem is the profiteering warmongers, not the method of staffing the military, Godot.

Godot 5 years, 11 months ago

I do not understand why the Left is so intent on stopping people from freely enlisting in the military. If they are successful at their own game, the next president will have no choice but to reinstate the draft. Maybe that is their goal.

duplenty 5 years, 11 months ago

"Then all of the duplentys, bozos, logartihmics, etc. would have nothing to complain about:or would they?"While I don't necessairily disagree with what the bozos, logarithmics, etc. say, don't lump me in with them. The only thing I posted was the factual assertion that the military has repeatedly lowered their standards in order to keep up recruiting. If you have a problem with that, post some evidence to the contrary.BTW - I'm all for a draft. We'd be out of Iraq in a month.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

The problem is the profiteering warmongers, not the method of staffing the military, blueharley.

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

The article is about recruiting. Let's just get rid of the evil, scamming recruiters and re-institute a draft. Fair for everyone, heh? Then all of the duplentys, bozos, logartihmics, etc. would have nothing to complain about...or would they?

logrithmic 5 years, 11 months ago

When one realizes the level of Pentagon propaganda throughout our system, one should not be surprised that the rightwing has "Stars and Stripes" covered eyes.From costly flyovers and stunts at sporting events and the constant drumbeat of advertising in every major TV sports broadcast, to the movie theater, where people are told that the military is there to rescue them in case of another Katrina (despite failing to do anything for New Orleans in its time of need), or the spin of ex-officers on the media broadcasts of NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, and Fox to achieve what the Pentagon calls, "information dominance," over the American people, it's not hard to understand why rightwingers are so brainwashed.Like the song goes - "red white and brainwashed." A new anthem for the American rightwing!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"Every time bozo posts comments regarding the military it is negative."I'm not so much anti-military as I am anti the use of it for political and financial gain for very narrow but powerful interests. This is the betrayal of all those who have enlisted, most of whom did so for ostensibly patriotic reasons."Recently he suggested live fire in an article regarding training exercises."I didn't suggest any such thing. It was a training exercise involving Black Hawk helicopters, and I merely pointed out that if it doesn't include live fire, it doesn't even come close to what the ROTC cadets would experience in a place like Iraq. But that's the reality of anything regarding war. There is no realistic training possible for the brutality and insanity they will see, which invariably infects many of the soldiers and marines we send into war. And the reality that results is vastly different from the John-Wayne movie so many gung-ho warmongers like to fantasize.

logrithmic 5 years, 11 months ago

It is sad that rightwingers have such a shallow grasp of news. This is probably the result of too much Blimpbaugh or Fox propaganda.Few probably realize that the United States was asked to withdraw its forces from Saudi Arabia and complied. Why should Iraq be any different? An orderly withdrawal of forces from Iraq might take six months and could easily be accomplished.Most rightwingers also do not realize that not only are foreign countries like China and Japan providing the financing for these Bushwars, but so are our retirement funds. When Congress says that Social Security is underfunded, what they're really saying is that there is not enough to provide for our retirement and raid to pay for the Bushwar.Another interesting item that rightwingers are probably not aware of: the United States is losing its superpower status. Why? Too reliant on oil. The military uses more oil than the entire nation of Sweden. Without oil, the military will be forced to withdraw from the battlefield. Such is coming to pass.Finally, rightwingers seem unable understand what our now trillion dollar a year military has done during the Bush years (despite being given every bit of funding requested). Let's look at the record:1) Failure to protect the nation during 9-11.2) Failure to win war against Iraqi insurgents.3) Failure to win war against Afghan Taliban and resistance.4) Failure to capture Bin Laden or destroy Al Queda.These are the facts after five to six years of war paid for by our future.Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

duplenty 5 years, 11 months ago

BigAl, I'm sure that everyone is proud of those kids. I don't think (although it is of course possible) that people are against the military or the people who make it up - people are against sending Americans to a war that was purely a war of choice that has no definable goal or end.Why are we in Iraq again? Seriously, I'd be interested in the rationale one might give...BTW - lots of vets in my family.

BigAl 5 years, 11 months ago

I attended an awards/scholorship ceremony for High School Seniors last night. I was extremely proud of the young men, and women, that were headed off to college with full ride ROTC scholorships.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"Being a Marine has been a great experience for him. He has gained confidence, better health, and bettered his chances for obtaining an career in whatever he chooses. "Others have not been so lucky. And since it can take years for the symptoms of PTSD to surface, your son (and you) may not be as fortunate as you think."And, Bozo, fatalities and injuries occur on the homefront, too. Probably more often."Yes, accidents happen everywhere. But what's happening in Iraq is not an accident-- it's a crime against humanity, including both Iraqis and marines and soldiers like your son.

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

Every time bozo posts comments regarding the military it is negative. Recently he suggested live fire in an article regarding training exercises. Yes, he is a true patriot.

BigAl 5 years, 11 months ago

Lucky_man, you keep typing "Barack Hussein Obama" as if that is a bad thing. I am totally convinced that Barack Hussein Obama (or Hillary or McCain) would be better for this country than "George Walker Bush" has been.

duplenty 5 years, 11 months ago

"Corey, I'm not sure what lowering of standards you are talking about. ""Lower standards help Army meet recruiting goal"http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-10-09-army-recruiting_x.htm"The U.S. Army lowers recruitment standards : again."http://www.slate.com/id/2182752/"Army Documents Show Lower Recruiting Standards"http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89702118"Lower Standards Help Army Recruit More"http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/10/AR2006101000131.html"Out of jail, into the ArmyFacing an enlistment crisis, the Army is granting "waivers" to an increasingly high percentage of recruits with criminal records -- and trying to hide it."http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2006/02/02/waivers/

logrithmic 5 years, 11 months ago

Gina,It is common knowledget that the Army is actively recruting felons since it cannot meet its goals in any other way. Please feel free to google this information.Regards standards, I know of a young lad who enlisted and was accepted into the Army in spite of a medical disability. When it came time for him to do his rifle training, he could not see well enough to qualify. He was then medically discharged without ever having completed boot camp. So the recruiters are playing a scam game and the Pentagon, at its lying best, is spinning its recruitment "success" for all its worth.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 5 years, 11 months ago

Corey, I'm not sure what lowering of standards you are talking about. When my son enlisted with the Marines, he had to pass certain criteria before he could go to boot camp. He worked hard, made it through boot camp and has completed one tour in Iraq. Being a Marine has been a great experience for him. He has gained confidence, better health, and bettered his chances for obtaining an career in whatever he chooses. And, Bozo, fatalities and injuries occur on the homefront, too. Probably more often.Peace.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"Cannon fodder indeed. I'm glad you think so highly of our service men and women, bozo. Says a lot about your character."I'm just calling it like it is-- it's BushCo that sends them off on vanity wars for oil to be killed by the thousands, and those who are injured, physically, mentally and emotionally, face the prospect of a life of misery and financial hardship, both for themselves and their families.And if you supported BushCo in this crime against humanity, it's you who needs to examine your own character flaws and bad judgment.

lucky_man 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, OK.. If Barack Hussein Obama is Commander-In-Chief come next January, draw down troops rapidly and then, ummm, uhhhh, just see what happens. That's at a minimum going to make Barack Hussein Obama's first 2-3 years very, very interesting, and in reality, going to effectively put the Democratic far-left wings' ideology in the trash can----forever. You can bet on it.

Haiku_Cuckoo 5 years, 11 months ago

It looks like all those protests outside the recruiting offices provided a lot of free advertising!http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354400,00.html

Corrector 5 years, 11 months ago

logrithmic:The book you quote from ignores the costs associated with not removing Saddam Hussein from power. If you think our economy is suffering now from high oil pirces, just imagine how high those prices would be if Saddam used nuclear weapons to blackmail the world.http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/10/news/economy/costofwar.fortune/index.htm

Mkh 5 years, 11 months ago

Yup....and 'Islamic radical groups' have been exceeding recruitment levels as well, directly due to the occupation of their nations by the United States.

Corrector 5 years, 11 months ago

The article implies that recruitment is up because of the economy. If that we the only reason, why is it that the Marines is doing so much better than the other branches. After all, a Marine is much, much more likely to see combat than a sailor or an airman. If someone were enlisting just for a paycheck, you would think they would pull a John Kerry and enlist for duty that was unlikely to involve combat.

logrithmic 5 years, 11 months ago

Speaking of the massive debt used to finance these war crimes, let's look at the true cost of the war (ready rightwingers???). Look here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/28891.htmlFrom the link:"When U.S. troops invaded Iraq in March 2003, the Bush administration predicted that the war would be self-financing and that rebuilding the nation would cost less than $2 billion.Coming up on the fifth anniversary of the invasion, a Nobel laureate now estimates that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are costing America more than $3 trillion.That estimate from Noble Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz also serves as the title of his new book, 'The Three Trillion Dollar War,' which hits store shelves Friday.The book, co-authored with Harvard University professor Linda Bilmes, builds on previous research that was published in January 2006. The two argued then and now that the cost to America of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is wildly underestimated.When other factors are added - such as interest on debt, future borrowing for war expenses, the cost of a continued military presence in Iraq and lifetime health-care and counseling for veterans - they think that the wars' costs range from $5 trillion to $7 trillion.'I think we really have learned that the long-term costs of taking care of the wounded and injured in this war and the long-term costs of rebuilding the military to its previous strength is going to far eclipse the cost of waging this war,' Bilmes said in an interview."Plus to make matters worse, the rightwinger's idol, George (fiscal commieservative) Bush lied through his teeth when estimating the cost of the war:From the same link:"By any estimate, the Bush administration's predictions in March 2003 of a self-financing war have proved to be wildly inaccurate. Stiglitz cites operational spending to date of $646 billion for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and, working off estimates from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, presumes that spending on these wars over the next decade probably will amount to another $913 billion."The rightwing fantasy - John Wayne and "I'm a fiscal conservative." Nothing could be further from the truth. Wrap yourselves in the flag rightwingers. Listen to the Pentagon spin and all those so-called "independent" analysts (former officers drafted by the Pentagon to lie to the American people on the mass media).As Forrest Gump said, "stupid is as stupid does." Even Gomer Pyle got it: "Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you." Unfortunately, rightwingers can't even comprehend these simple statements.

logrithmic 5 years, 11 months ago

It's sad that rightwingers can't deal with reality.They wrap themselves in the flag and completely ignore the truth. Sad, but true.To Bozo's "cannon fodder" statement, that appears to have generated such hate from rightwingers, let's look at the facts:http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gKILzLDMQooIuBhalDOPTSRWsAyAD90JG7980From the link:"Increasing numbers of U.S. troops have left the military with damaged bodies and minds, an ever-larger pool of disabled veterans that will cost the nation billions for decades to come - even as the total population of America's vets has begun to shrink.Despite the decline in total vets - as soldiers from World War II and Korea die - the government expects to be spending $59 billion a year to compensate injured warriors in 25 years, up from today's $29 billion, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press. And the Veterans Affairs Department concedes the bill could be much higher.Why?Worse wounds. More disabilities. More vets aware of the benefits and quicker to file for them.Also, ironically, advanced medical care. Troops come home with devastating injuries that might well have killed them in earlier wars.Time is also a factor when it comes to disability compensation costs. Payments tend to go up as veterans age, and an increasing number of soldiers from the Vietnam War will be getting bigger payments as they get older and are less able to work around their disabilities.The number of disabled veterans has jumped by 25 percent since 2001 - to 2.9 million - and the cause really is no mystery.'This is a cost of war,' says Steve Smithson, a deputy director at the American Legion. 'We're still producing veterans. We've been in a war in Iraq for five years now, and the war on terror since 9/11.'"It is sad that rightwingers are so poorly informed that they can attack someone for speaking the truth. Their mantra of "Support the Troops" is based on their childhood fantasies generated by the bloodless movies of John Wayne. Oh yes, charge up San Juan hill!But when someone speaks the truth, they say "America hater." This war is a war crime. Yes, the American military is perpetrating a war crime. This is not the first. Nor will it be the last. But it is.The result of this war crime is a massive debt passed on to future generations of Americans (financed by borrowing from the Chinese and Japanese) and the scars and wounds to many of America's finest men and women.Enjoy the fruits of your labor rightwingers!

duplenty 5 years, 11 months ago

""hate America first" Really? Still going with that one? Would have thought that by now, what with you living in your mom's basement and all, you could have come up with some new material.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

I see the "hate America first" crew got an early start today.

blue73harley 5 years, 11 months ago

Corey Williams 5 years, 11 months ago

"...the Army and Marines have added recruiters as well as bonuses and other special benefits to attract more recruits..."What about lowering the standards to allow more people in? How well did they do after that?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

BushCo have broken everything they've touched over the last 7 plus years. No one will be able to fix all of it. But at least they can stop further damage.

Corrector 5 years, 11 months ago

Actually, the Marines had been exceeding their retention and recruitment goals month after month prior to the current downturn in the economy,And contrary to the snide remark of bozo, whom I suspect never served a day in uniform, the Marines are not relying on ex-cons.bozo, have you ever contributed anything to the country? It must be a sad existence to get up ever morning with nothing to do but whine on an Internet forum. Get a life.

Hillary_Hussein_Dean 5 years, 11 months ago

"And the recruiting effort at prisons and parole offices is going well, too." Barack Hussein Obama will fix all that. Barack Hussein Obama: Your Undercover Brother.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

So cannon-fodder futures are doing quite well."Recruiting is easier in a slow economy, which limits other job possibilities that are available."No sh*t, Sherlock.And the recruiting effort at prisons and parole offices is going well, too.