Archive for Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Marine Corps, Army exceed recruiting goals

May 13, 2008

— The Marine Corps far surpassed its recruiting goal last month and could eventually be more than a year ahead of schedule in its plan to grow the force to 202,000 members.

All military services met or exceeded their monthly recruiting goals in April, with the Marine Corps signing 142 percent of the number it was looking for, the Pentagon said.

The Army signed 101 percent of its goal, recruiting 5,681 against a goal of 5,650. The Navy and Air Force met their goals - 2,905 sailors and 2,435 airmen.

The Marine Corps enlisted 2,233 recruits against a goal of 1,577.

Recruiting is easier in a slow economy, which limits other job possibilities that are available. But officials also noted that the Army and Marines have added recruiters as well as bonuses and other special benefits to attract more recruits in the midst of the unpopular war in Iraq.

Comments

BigAl 6 years, 4 months ago

I attended an awards/scholorship ceremony for High School Seniors last night. I was extremely proud of the young men, and women, that were headed off to college with full ride ROTC scholorships.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

BushCo have broken everything they've touched over the last 7 plus years. No one will be able to fix all of it. But at least they can stop further damage.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 4 months ago

It looks like all those protests outside the recruiting offices provided a lot of free advertising!http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354400,00.html

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

"Being a Marine has been a great experience for him. He has gained confidence, better health, and bettered his chances for obtaining an career in whatever he chooses. "Others have not been so lucky. And since it can take years for the symptoms of PTSD to surface, your son (and you) may not be as fortunate as you think."And, Bozo, fatalities and injuries occur on the homefront, too. Probably more often."Yes, accidents happen everywhere. But what's happening in Iraq is not an accident-- it's a crime against humanity, including both Iraqis and marines and soldiers like your son.

Mkh 6 years, 4 months ago

Yup....and 'Islamic radical groups' have been exceeding recruitment levels as well, directly due to the occupation of their nations by the United States.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

"Every time bozo posts comments regarding the military it is negative."I'm not so much anti-military as I am anti the use of it for political and financial gain for very narrow but powerful interests. This is the betrayal of all those who have enlisted, most of whom did so for ostensibly patriotic reasons."Recently he suggested live fire in an article regarding training exercises."I didn't suggest any such thing. It was a training exercise involving Black Hawk helicopters, and I merely pointed out that if it doesn't include live fire, it doesn't even come close to what the ROTC cadets would experience in a place like Iraq. But that's the reality of anything regarding war. There is no realistic training possible for the brutality and insanity they will see, which invariably infects many of the soldiers and marines we send into war. And the reality that results is vastly different from the John-Wayne movie so many gung-ho warmongers like to fantasize.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

The problem is the profiteering warmongers, not the method of staffing the military, Godot.

Corey Williams 6 years, 4 months ago

"...the Army and Marines have added recruiters as well as bonuses and other special benefits to attract more recruits..."What about lowering the standards to allow more people in? How well did they do after that?

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

Corey, I'm not sure what lowering of standards you are talking about. When my son enlisted with the Marines, he had to pass certain criteria before he could go to boot camp. He worked hard, made it through boot camp and has completed one tour in Iraq. Being a Marine has been a great experience for him. He has gained confidence, better health, and bettered his chances for obtaining an career in whatever he chooses. And, Bozo, fatalities and injuries occur on the homefront, too. Probably more often.Peace.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

I see the "hate America first" crew got an early start today.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

So cannon-fodder futures are doing quite well."Recruiting is easier in a slow economy, which limits other job possibilities that are available."No sh*t, Sherlock.And the recruiting effort at prisons and parole offices is going well, too.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

"Cannon fodder indeed. I'm glad you think so highly of our service men and women, bozo. Says a lot about your character."I'm just calling it like it is-- it's BushCo that sends them off on vanity wars for oil to be killed by the thousands, and those who are injured, physically, mentally and emotionally, face the prospect of a life of misery and financial hardship, both for themselves and their families.And if you supported BushCo in this crime against humanity, it's you who needs to examine your own character flaws and bad judgment.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

The problem is the profiteering warmongers, not the method of staffing the military, blueharley.

BigAl 6 years, 4 months ago

Lucky_man, you keep typing "Barack Hussein Obama" as if that is a bad thing. I am totally convinced that Barack Hussein Obama (or Hillary or McCain) would be better for this country than "George Walker Bush" has been.

gogoplata 6 years, 4 months ago

I am no pacifist and I think that killing in war is justified when it is in self defense. But is it self defense when you kill invading another country that never attacked you? Are we the good guys here? What would you do if China invaded the US to liberate us from George Bush, or because we posess WMDs? Wouldn't we consider the soldiers of the invading army to be murderers? I would not want to be a part of what we are doing in Iraq, and I would not encourage anyone that I care about to sign up to be a part of it. Having said that I do think that a military career is a good one provided that the military is not being misused by those in power. What are the chances of that happening?

gogoplata 6 years, 4 months ago

--It just drives the left nuts when young Americans believe enough in their country and enough in liberty to take action. These young people are committed to making these United States a safer place and the world a better place. US servicemembers are supplying humanitarian aid in Burma, they are preparing for flights into China to assist our potential adversary because they care about freedom. They are risking their lives in every corner of this world to show that they and America cares. Daily I thank God for the young people of this country committed to freedom and willing to serve their country. They are heroes, not cannon fodder.They have been duped and they are being used and when you pass on this type of false propaganda you increase the chances that they will be duped and used again and again.

Corey Williams 6 years, 4 months ago

"Some folks inherit star spangled eyes,Ooh, they send you down to war, lord,And when you ask them, how much should we give? Ooh, they only answer more! more! more!"-CCR

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

Godot 6 years, 4 months ago

I do not understand why the Left is so intent on stopping people from freely enlisting in the military. If they are successful at their own game, the next president will have no choice but to reinstate the draft. Maybe that is their goal.

BigAl 6 years, 4 months ago

I agree 100% with duplenty. The posts of 10:09 and 10:33. By the way, the reasons for being in Iraq have changed over the years. And I am a proud veteran.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks to all who have and currently service in the military!

Jean1183 6 years, 4 months ago

Gina, they will never understand (unless we are attacked on American soil and then they will LOVE your son & mine).Thanks to your son from an Army mom. Whose own son BTW, just graduated Phi Theta Kappa with an Associates Degree and plans on making a career of the military.....AND he had to get a waiver to enlist 6 years ago you judgemental hypocrites.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

"Perhaps you might, learn about miliary mores before bashing them."Sorry, Gina, but your ideal world doesn't exist. Once the shooting and bombing starts, insanity sets in, and no creeds and no amount of training can prevent the tragedies and injustices that ensue. That's been the fact of war forever, and just because your son is a Marine doesn't change that.

gogoplata 6 years, 4 months ago

If you take the time to look you will find the the guys who started this nation warned of large standing armies. They knew the temptation to use force would end up being to great to resist. Well look what we have now. A corrupt American Empire with Troops stationed in over 120 countries across the world. Most people who are antiwar are not against their fellow citizens who are in the military. They are against the misuse of those men and women, they are against the way the leaders of our nation piss away resources funded by our tax dollars, they are against using these men and women to fight detrimental, unconstitutional wars and then lying to us all saying they are defending our freedom. I am not anti America, or an America hater. I hate the corrupt policies that our government leaders choose for us.

gphawk89 6 years, 4 months ago

"Daily I thank God for the young people of this country committed to freedom and willing to serve their country. They are heroes, not cannon fodder."I'll second that...

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 4 months ago

as long as those kids know what they're getting themselves into... certainly not something I'd recommend to any young person...

cowgomoo 6 years, 4 months ago

What court has declared this war illegal? When did congress vote to rescind thier authorization?

gogoplata 6 years, 4 months ago

The US Constitution declares this war illegal. Congress has no authority from the constitution to pass an authorization to fight war on to the President. Read "Violating the Constitution With an Illegal War"http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul57.html

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

Duplenty: "While I don't necessairily disagree with what the bozos, logarithmics, etc. say, don't lump me in with them."Let's not talk about nuance, it's not what we do here. Us vs. them, black vs. white, that's what we're good at, and we're too old to change.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

"However, a military career is a worthy career. "I never said it wasn't. But when you join the military, you do what you're told, and if what you're told to do is illegal and immoral, it creates a tough situation for any soldier, sailor or marine. Iraq and even Afghanistan are such tough situations. I don't envy your son's position, even if his intentions are honorable.

gogoplata 6 years, 4 months ago

We were attacked on American soil. And you should take a look at is how the Bush Administration used those attacks to misuse your sons. Your sons have been put in harms way and they are not protecting our freedom. Instead of getting mad at the people pointing out the fact that your sons are being taken advantage of by their commander in chief, I would think that you would direct your anger toward the ones responsible for taking them away from their families and putting thier butts on the line half a world away. THE ONLY WAY THIS STOPS IS WHEN THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY STOP BELIEVING THIS "PATRIOTIC" PROPAGANDA.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

" Oh, Bozo, I don't know what chemically enhanced world you live in, but I can pretty much guarantee our worlds will never meet. I do enjoy the banter. =)"Too bad you had to end it with such a gratuitous remark. Is that just part of the creed?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

jrudyhawk and gina-- your hysteria is unbecoming.I've never said that the military isn't an honorable profession, and I am willing to take your word that your kids are doing their best to serve with honor.But what's clear is that the military has been misused for purposes other than the defense of this country or any of our freedoms. And that is an abuse of everyone in the military. The fact remains that any time anyone goes to war, anywhere for any reason, insanity and wanton death and destruction are always the result. If I were in the military, or had a son or daughter there, I would be outraged at the betrayal by BushCo. Instead, you want to fall back on meaningless platitudes and fairy tales.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm sure Lynndie England's mom was just as proud of her.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

What creed? I'm not the Marine. I didn't intend it as gratuitous, but more as patronizing.Are you sorry its ending? lol

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

Bozo. you missed my point, on purpose, I would guess. I am not going to defend the war, because I think we have no business being in Iraq either. We could "have a presence" there until the end of time and it won't make a difference. However, a military career is a worthy career. And, as a nurse, I am well aware of the possible long-term affects, bozo. Please do not insult me intelligence simply because I didn't fall over myself agreeing with you.As far as lowering the standards, perhaps the Army does that. My son is a Marine and as far I know, there are no lowered standards. And, one last comment, right-wing, left-wing. The only ones who care are the ones throwing these labels around. Peace.

bunnyhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

One can only wonder if they're 'fudging' the recruiting numbers as much as they 'fudge' all the other 'information' from this administration!!!!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

"I didn't intend it as gratuitous, but more as patronizing."I'd say it was both."Are you sorry its ending?"Internet patter is eternal, isn't it? And kind of an adult version of tag.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

jrudy, thank you for your comment. I am very proud of my son and all vets. I wear a 'I support our troops" wrist band. I recieved one from a vet while I was on my way to my son's Marine basic training graduation. I wore it until it broke recently. Ben at the VFW in KCMO was kind enough to send me a replacement (they are not available to purchase). I was very happy to have a new one as I had committed to wearing it until all troops are withdrawn from Iraq. My son returns there in January.It isn't difficult to see that Bozo cannot grasp a military mindset. I cannot comment on his intellect in other aspects. We all take on a bit of an online persona that may or may not accurately reflect who we are in real life. I choose to bear my real name as I believe in being honest and any remarks I make here I would make in real life.Sorry, this got long-winded.Peace

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

Bozo, WTF. Being asked to do anything illegal or immoral is not exclusive to the military. Part of basic training is to learn to follow orders without hesitation. Because to hesitate could cost a life. But after basic training, more training includes what to do in situations as you described. The Marine creed is Honor, Courage and Commitment. Those are drilled into the recruit, the soldier, the leaders and on up. Certainly, there are going to be "bad apples", but that is the exception and not the rule. Perhaps you might, learn about miliary mores before bashing them.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

Places bullseye target on wall and bangs head on it.

gogoplata 6 years, 4 months ago

Gina, this is what I was responding to on my last post. He's an idiot that has no creed, no honor, and no courage. He is committed, though, or needs to be. He has no intelligent concept of the military nor what it means to this nation. He's content to sit under the umbrella of protection they afford, pull his b's, and rant away as if he knows all.I agree with you on having a meaningful honest talk about this.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

"Seriously, stop pigeon-holing people. When you try to box people into a type, you lose the opportunity to learn from someone else or to teach another to view a topic a new way. Insults and name-calling just make others defensive and put up walls. It's easy to lash out (I've been guilty, too). Anger is the easiest emotion to illicit from others. "You should seriously consider taking your own advice.

gogoplata 6 years, 4 months ago

Gina, tell me what you think I am wrong about.

gogoplata 6 years, 4 months ago

jrudy, how do you know he has no creed(whatever that is), honor, or courage. You do know that semper fidelis, duty, honor, commitment, and courage predate the USMC and the US Army. The troops and the "support the troops" crowd don't have the market cornered in those things. A person who feels called to stand against a corrupt government that has gotten the country involved in a deceptive and illegal war represents what 1776 style patriotism is all about.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

Bozo and Gogo, not agreeing with you does not make me or jrudy "hysterical". I would not presume that because you two continue to wage war on our platitudes and creeds that would make you anti-American. Who says I'm not outraged? Just because my son is in the military doesn't mean I agree with the Commander-in-Chief.Just because I'm proud of my son and other vets doesn't mean I think only military people are patriotic. Seriously, stop pigeon-holing people. When you try to box people into a type, you lose the opportunity to learn from someone else or to teach another to view a topic a new way. Insults and name-calling just make others defensive and put up walls. It's easy to lash out (I've been guilty, too). Anger is the easiest emotion to illicit from others. Let's put the gloves down and act like adults.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 4 months ago

Gogo: "Your sons have been put in harms way and they are not protecting our freedom. Instead of getting mad at the people pointing out the fact that your sons are being taken advantage of by their commander in chief, I would think that you would direct your anger toward the ones responsible for taking them away from their families and putting thier butts on the line half a world away.the only way this stops is when the people of this country stop believing this "patriotic" propaganda."My patriotism has little to do with agreeing with "w". I never said I agreed with waging war on Iraq. The discussion between Bozo and I had to do with his purposeful disdain of anything military. Then you step in with defending Bozo, and basically stating that I am too stupid to see beyond the "patriotic" progoganda. As far as I am concerned, you and bozo are one and the same.

gogoplata 6 years, 4 months ago

I really am not thinking that you are stupid. There is a lot of blame to go around on this one. I myself (regrettably) voted twice for George W. Bush. 2 years ago I was the "love it or leave it", freedom ain't free, "troops are fighting for our freedom" guy. But I realized that this war is bs. We the people have failed to reign in our public servant in chief. War is a racket for the state and it always has been. The troops themselves who swore an oath to support and defend the constitution have broken thier oath by following the orders to wage an unconstitutional war. Where is the honor in that? The administrations propaganda machine whipped up a fear of a "mushroom cloud" and the people of this country bought it. I really believed there were WMD's, I believed that Saddam had something to do with 911, I believed that we were going to get Osama Bin Laden. We made a mistake. So lets not let it happen again. If it was a mistake to go it is a mistake to stay. How would you feel about your son dying for a mistake? We should not trust our leaders. We should demand a congressional declaration of war before US fighting men and women are asked to die.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 4 months ago

"The discussion between Bozo and I had to do with his purposeful disdain of anything military. "That you have to resort to simplistic strawman statements is indicative of the level of "discussion" you are willing to have, Gina.War is nothing more than organized mass murder. Under very extreme circumstances, that is sometimes the only remaining recourse, and it's almost always a result of catastrophic political incompetence and failure-- an act of desperation on the part political leaders who are too violent and stupid to find any other recourse. Sometimes as with BushCo, the political leadership goes to war with no better reasons than greed and bloodlust.When war happens, even honorable soldiers will be at best be put in a position of kill or be killed, or even ordered to commit heinous crimes against unarmed civilian populations. Whether your son has personally been put in such a situation, I have no way of knowing. But what I do know is that many thousands of his fellow marines and soldiers have been put in that position, and it's a lose-lose situation. I understand why a parent such as yourself would defend your son's choice of a military career-- but did you really want your kid to grow up to be a mindless mass murderer? Because under BushCo, that's what many thousands of them have been required to become.