Archive for Sunday, May 4, 2008

One person dead after early-morning car accident

May 4, 2008, 3:00 a.m. Updated May 4, 2008, 11:50 a.m.

One person life-flighted after car accident

A Lawrence man was taken by air ambulance to an area hospital, where he later died, after a car accident near the intersection of Sixth Street and Gateway Drive shortly before 2 a.m. Sunday. Police are seeking the driver of a Jeep that was involved in the accident, which killed Thomas Crum, 60, Lawrence. Enlarge video

A 60-year-old Lawrence man died after a two-car accident early Sunday morning on West Sixth Street.

The accident, which was a hit-and-run, occurred at 1:58 a.m. at Sixth and Gateway Ct.

A statement from Lawrence police said Thomas Crum was driving a 1984 Pontiac east on Sixth Street, when a second vehicle, believed to be a silver Jeep, pulled in front of his vehicle.

Crum was flown by air ambulance to a Kansas City hospital, where he later died.

Witnesses told police the Jeep sustained significant front-end damage before leaving the accident scene, headed west on Sixth Street.

Police ask anyone with information on the accident to contact the Lawrence Police Detective Division at (785) 832-7650.

Anonymous tips can be left at the Crimestoppers hotline at (785) 843-TIPS (8477).

Comments

jim4hope 7 years, 2 months ago

man, that chopper sounded like it was landing in my backyard. it ended up being just a hundred yards away, in the dillons parking lot. it even landed with quite a few parked cars there, which were eventually moved before takeoff. i was wondering what was going on. with a low-flying chopper in the air, i thought there might have been an armed crazy-man running around my neighborhood again. geez, i hope the guy's ok.

monkeyhawk 7 years, 2 months ago

What a great person Tom was. I could always depend on him to help me out. I am deeply saddened, and hope that the person responsible for this accident will bear the full brunt of prosecution.

angel_24 7 years, 2 months ago

I bet the jeep will be found. It must have hit hard. The bumper looked like it fell off in the video. The helicopter was at Dillon's for a while. I thought the guy was dead b/c it took so long for the helicopter to leave. It's a trajedy that the ignorant person couldn't stay to help the man and just possibly save his life. Probably b/c he was more concerned with not getting in trouble for drinking and driving then someone else's life. How low could you go?

inatux 7 years, 2 months ago

"A statement from Lawrence police said Crum was driving a 1984 Pontiac east on Sixth Street, when a second vehicle, believed to be a silver Jeep, pulled in front of his vehicle."LJWorld forgot to give a first name. I'm assuming that Crum was the last name of the driver?

chemegirlie 7 years, 2 months ago

My thoughts and prayers are with his family. God bless.

OnlyTheOne 7 years, 2 months ago

Defender, I'm thinking b3 "the bars" reference was probably directed toward the missing Jeep.......Chill out a little.

dweezil222 7 years, 2 months ago

oldschool 7 years, 2 months ago

toe: I believe Tom was John's son. He was a kind man who will be remembered fondly

OnlyTheOne 7 years, 2 months ago

dweezil222 (Anonymous) says:"The bars close at 2 a.m., however, I'm sure there is no connection, yeah right.""Defender, I'm thinking b3 "the bars" reference was probably directed toward the missing Jeep::.Chill out a little."Just keep in mind that you can't blame the bars for the actions of drunken idiots after they leave.Where is it in my comment that I blame the bars? I was commenting to Defender he read more into b3's comment than he should - just as you've tried to put words in my comment!Read more, type less!

kbf 7 years, 2 months ago

Tom was a family member who died in this horrible accident. He died on the operating table. Noisy helicopters? Really-someone lost their life!!!!! Hopefully justice can prevail and the hit and run driver can be found so that we can learn more obout this tragedy.

Sigmund 7 years, 2 months ago

The driver of the Jeep has learned their lessons well. Flee the scene of the accident, clean the Jeep of all contraband and let the concentration of of drugs and/or alcohol in the blood diminish. Then when you can't explain the the damage to your Jeep to friends and family and can't get it fixed because all the body shops in the area will be have been notified by LPD to report someone looking for repairs, turn yourself in claiming someone must have slipped something in your drink.http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/mar/25/hitandrun_driver_sentenced_90_days_jail/When this person is caught, and they will be caught, Branson should throw the book at them. I only hope he does better than he did with Joshua Walton. Speaking of which, where was Joshua last night???

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

the third paragraph states the deceased man's first name. does anybody around here read first before going off half-cocked??

Birdman88 7 years, 2 months ago

Toe & Old school, Tom was John Crum's son and my eldest cousin. John owned and operated Johnny's lLandscape for over 40 years. Tom was a major helper to John. Tom will be missed by many, including myself. What ever the out come of this sad event, it demonstrates again, life is real time not a game that you can play over & over. Think about who, what, why, where and when. R.I.P. Tom.

1029 7 years, 2 months ago

It's not suprising that the jeep drove away. Driving away ended up really paying off for that guy who hit that kid on kentucky street. Now the jeep driver can turn himself/herself in when he/she feels the time is right (after consulting and hiring Tom Bath, maybe) and he/she can have his/her friends testify that he/she was acting "different", like he/she had been drugged at a bar. Then the jeep driver will only get a couple of years of probation and can serve their prison hours between classes. didn't everyone learn that it's better to just drive away?

termtech215 7 years, 2 months ago

The first name of the victim is Thomas Crum and it is stated in the LJW article.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 2 months ago

Guessing/hoping the Jeep driver is with a lawyer now, and will turn himself in soon. Innocent until proven guilty.

termtech215 7 years, 2 months ago

I agree, trinity. Everyone seems to be looking to criticize our local paper. If you don't like LJW, then don't read it. This was obviously a very serious, hit and run accident. My thoughts and prayers are with the family of Thomas Crum.

geppetto 7 years, 2 months ago

I am pretty sure that the police can find him/her. That's why we have cameras on traffic lights. Go back and see what car meets that desc.

doc1 7 years, 2 months ago

geppetto. they don't have cameras on traffic lights. Those little devices only sense traffic.

Rcaxtell0952 7 years, 2 months ago

Tom Crum was a wonderful man and father. He just celebrated his 60th birthday. He was the son of John Crum who was a very kind man who did landscaping.He will be missed by all the people who knew and loved him.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 2 months ago

And that is a tough turn, on Gateway Ct. going east (left turn) on 6th St. That little hill gets in the way of sight.

inatux 7 years, 2 months ago

Trinity, it did not previously have the person's first name. It was added to the story after it was pointed out on this thread.

Nasnackincakes 7 years, 2 months ago

I spoke with Tom earlier Saturday afternoon and he was getting ready for his Birthday party with his family and friends. I am so sorry to hear this news. I hope that the person who did this will have enough strength and courage to turn themself in. He will be missed. My sympathy to all who know him and most of all to his children.

nascarmomma 7 years, 2 months ago

I worked with Tom @ Colonial Manor years ago. Very sweet guy! Always willing to stay and work late or come in early to help with residents. He will be missed

Buggie7 7 years, 2 months ago