Archive for Friday, May 2, 2008

Obama proves his inexperience

May 2, 2008

While the Rev. Jeremiah Wright continues to play out in sound bites on cable TV and talk radio, it isn't Wright who might be president. It is Barack Obama who wants that job.

Rev. Wright is consistent in his preaching that America bore some responsibility for the 9/11 attacks and in his conspiratorial lunacy about "how the government lied about inventing the HIV virus as a means of genocide against people of color." But Obama has been inconsistent in what he has said about issues that will have a far greater impact than the outrage produced by his former pastor.

I am all for a post-racial, nonpolarized society, but Obama has yet to detail how that would work and on which issues he is willing to move toward the center from positions any reasonable observer would have to describe as far-left, even radical.

On Fox News Sunday, Chris Wallace tried to get Obama to say where he might find common ground with Republicans when he asked him: "Can you name a hot-button issue where you would be willing to buck the Democratic Party line and say, 'You know what? Republicans have a better idea here.' " Obama offered regulation and charter schools, not exactly hot-button issues. Moving away from his vote against banning partial-birth abortion, as other Democrats have done, would have been a good hot-button issue on which he might have compromised, but abortion is the unholy grail of the left and no Democrat can get the presidential nomination unless he (or she) buys the entire abortion package.

Obama has the right attitude, as in, "My goal is to get us out of this polarizing debate where we're always trying to score cheap political points and actually get things done." That's admirable, so let's examine a few of the things Obama says he would like to do.

On the war, Obama said on Fox, "I will listen to Gen. (David) Petraeus, given the experience that he's accumulated over the last several years. It would be stupid of me to ignore what he has to say." Admirable. But in testimony last September before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, of which Obama is a member, Gen. Petraeus said, "I believe Iraq's problems will require a long-term effort." The day after Petraeus' testimony, Obama called for the United States to "immediately begin to remove our combat troops from Iraq." Which is it, immediate, or heeding Gen. Petraeus and his long-term approach for bringing stability to Iraq?

On Fox, Obama said he would raise capital gains taxes to no more than 20 percent. But on March 27, Obama told CNBC's Maria Bartiromo he would raise capital gains taxes to 28 percent. Obama said his goal is to "create additional revenue." But as The Wall Street Journal noted in an editorial recently, lower capital gains taxes have, in fact, historically produced more tax revenue while higher capital gains taxes bring in less, as people are less willing to sell stocks because it will cost them more in taxes.

What about payroll taxes? On Fox, Obama said he's for raising them on Americans earning more than $102,000 annually. But just two weeks ago, Obama said he wouldn't raise taxes on anyone making less than $200,000.

Obama's view of government is classic liberal paternalism: " ... what (the American people) are looking for is somebody who can solve their problems : who will tell them the truth about how we're going to bring down gas prices, how we're going to bring back jobs," he told Wallace.

No president can solve my problems, or bring down gas prices (those are set by market forces) or create jobs, other than more government jobs. In all of Obama's impressive rhetorical skills, there is nothing about the role of the individual, only the role of big government. His uncertainty and inconsistency on issues ranging from war to taxes reveal his inexperience and youthful stumbling, two qualities that make him unprepared to be president.

Cal Thomas is a columnist for Tribune Media Services.

Comments

acoupstick 5 years, 11 months ago

"Obama would not be so much a President, as a pop star."Kinda like Reagan.

toe 5 years, 11 months ago

Obama would not be so much a President, as a pop star.

beatrice 5 years, 11 months ago

... and we will see many times McCain all chummy with Bush while stats show how frequently the "maverick" senator wasn't a maverick at all but was a party-line Republican who regularly supported Bush's failed objectives ...The vote will come down to whether or not people want a change in direction from the path Bush established, not if someone's preacher is a goofball. A vote for Obama will be for a new direction, and a vote for McCain will be a vote for continuing the path of Bush.

oldvet 5 years, 11 months ago

Obama may think he has put this behind him and nobody will care, but I'll bet, if he is the nominee, the 527's will not let people forget it... We will see "his confidant and spiritual director" in his rants many times...

duplenty 5 years, 11 months ago

Let's see: Rev. Wright saying that America "deserved" 9/11: traitorous and unacceptable.Falwell, Robertson and Hagee saying the exact same thing: eh, no biggie.Yes, I can definitley see the problem.

logicsound04 5 years, 11 months ago

"I am all for a post-racial, nonpolarized society, but Obama has yet to detail how that would work"---------------------Yeah, Obama, you haven't even figured out how to heal the lingering wounds of slavery. What makes you think you are fit to serve as President?I don't even know why I read Thomas.On a "lighter" note, it looks like good ole' Conman is back. Yippee!

Ceallach 5 years, 11 months ago

It appears that le has been disappearedededed.

jonas 5 years, 11 months ago

le: Just so you know, it generally takes two people to have a conversation. Well, at least a sane one.

beatrice 5 years, 11 months ago

Wouldn't a more approriate headline be "Cal Thomas, conservative columnist, argues that he believes Obama has demonstrated inexperience." The headline as it is now indicates that it is fact, which it isn't. It would be like my wanting to argue that John McCain has proven to be tightly linked to a special-interest lobbyist, and the headline reads "McCain caught in bed with lobbyist." Sadly, people don't read, they just see the headline and believe it. Cal Thomas, yet another hack-writer backed by the conservative media. nutty - if people support Obama simply because of his dark skin, as you suggest, then does that mean White people who favor McCain only do so because he is White?

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Darn...REfresh....AGAIN.......Run Forrest RUN !

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Poof ...magic is great...Refreshin eh!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

There it is POOF...Not 4 long....Next magic show...Later today...or film at 11...............

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Wher is that last comment? See why I am the way I am!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Dial up Andy...Suicide hot line that is...Run Andy (forrest) Run....

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Uh -Oh...Evil Le is comin out again....I am a shcizoprenic and so am I !

le 5 years, 11 months ago

I 2 have a dream...Pandy Andrew is the opening show 4 Obamas reality suicide show...Hee Hee Hee...YEA I am a Deviant ...when I need 2 be!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

If Obama wants 2 create more revenue...I would pay a huge amount of money 4 a reality show where he kills his lame @ssed preacher and then commits suicide on a live television show.....I f he really loves this country then he would jump on this idea!!!!!!!!

Nutty_Buddy 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't think Obama is at all inexperienced. He has more than proven he is a devious politician, what with his alliances and taking money/property from shady deals by very questionable and nefarious means. People are Cuckoo for Obama. That's because we are approaching 40% dark skinned races and another 30% that are developmentally challenged white trash that doesn't know crap about anything except which end of a meth pipe to hit on.

malcolm_x_obama 5 years, 11 months ago

Cal should be careful calling out the Obamunists. Obama is going to replace weak liberalism with strong Obamunism!

Speakout 5 years, 11 months ago

When the Repunants realize that the American Public wants a change from the same things year after year, they will field a candidate that can deliver that. The "civil war" you speak of is to determine which of the candidates will be president because yours won't. So let them take their time because we want a good one this time. Not like what we have now!

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 11 months ago

...Sorry I don't think Obama can help you with that; you'll just have to depend on your church and guns and hatred of illegal immigrants. Rev. Wright may be willing to help...maybe...depending on your race. Nah, probaly not, you're on your own. Did you try Hilary yet??You know this civil war the dumbocrats are having is the best thing the republicans could ever hope for! They're probably scared that they're gonna wake up and it was all a dream!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

SOSGonna need help people.One of my tall pines is leaning, ball is uprooted some.I gave away all my fence posts, but I have a pole driver somewhere. Chain and turnbuckle too if I can find where the man moved them to when he cleaned the garage.But I can't get back there to do it myself, and it'll need to be done soon or I'll lose the tree.I can't hire it done, no funds right now.House is supposed to be listed today too.Any helpful people out there?Know of a tree service kind enough to help a disabled woman out in a bind?

Speakout 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, Cal, what did Bush bring to the White House? A recovering alcoholic's penchent for defensiveness, lies and cowboy talk? Give me Obama any day over that!

i_tching 5 years, 11 months ago

Another steaming load of Cal pap. Nice one.