Archive for Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Self stands by KU guard Collins

Chicago native apologizes for not responding to civil suit

Kansas University guards Sherron Collins, left, and Russell Robinson suit up for practice in the team locker room at Ford Field before their 2008 Sweet 16 matchup with Villanova.  On Monday a Douglas County judge ordered Collins to pay damages in excess of $75,000 to a woman who filed a civil suit against him, accusing him of assault.

Kansas University guards Sherron Collins, left, and Russell Robinson suit up for practice in the team locker room at Ford Field before their 2008 Sweet 16 matchup with Villanova. On Monday a Douglas County judge ordered Collins to pay damages in excess of $75,000 to a woman who filed a civil suit against him, accusing him of assault.

June 17, 2008

Sherron Collins lawsuit

A certified letter about a personal injury claim sent to KU basketball player Sherron Colins had an incomplete address on it, Collins' lawyers argued in court filings recently.

Sherron Collins accused in civil lawsuit

Kansas guard Sherron Collins is making headlines today for a ruling against him in a civil lawsuit filed on May 14th. Enlarge video

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self twice on Monday expressed support for junior guard Sherron Collins.

Self spoke first in a written statement, the second time in person to a handful of reporters outside his basketball camp at Horejsi Center.

"From the information we have, which is somewhat limited, I stand by him without question," Self said after a Douglas County District Court judge ruled in favor of a 35-year-old woman who filed a civil lawsuit against Collins, alleging an assault in a Jayhawker Towers elevator in May of 2007.

"That's what I believe anybody would do who believes in one of their family members, so to speak. We will wait and see what happens with the process, but like he (Collins) said in his statement, 'I'm looking forward to addressing this.'''

Self told reporters he was disappointed Collins failed to file a legal response to the civil suit filed on May 14. Because of Collins' failure to respond, a judge on Monday granted the woman damages in excess of $75,000.

Collins - on Monday he said he was "100 percent innocent of any inappropriate behavior" and apologized for not responding to the suit - will learn at a July 8 hearing the exact amount of damages to be awarded.

Down the line, the district attorney could conceivably choose to prosecute Collins, who was accused of exposing himself and rubbing against the woman in the elevator.

"I'm not positive how all that works. I'm still trying to gather information, but obviously the ball was dropped," Self said of Collins not responding to the suit. "I find out about it after the fact today (after reading story on ljworld.com and kusports.com).

"Of course he would have looked forward to addressing it. For whatever reason, being out of town ... that's what they all are, excuses. You have to be responsible, take care of your business. This is certainly a case where that did not occur."

Collins was back on campus attending summer school classes Monday after traveling to Chicago last weekend to visit his father, who is ill.

"He certainly wouldn't have shied away from addressing it if he was aware of the ramifications around it. Certainly that is no excuse. There is no excuse. You have to step up to the plate and accept your responsibilities," Self said.

Self acknowledged Collins faced "a very serious allegation that we have not taken lightly (since learning of it 13 months ago).

"I know he'll look forward to trying to fight any allegations. I am not going to have any further comment out of I guess you could say respect for the process. I don't think it's right for me to comment on it. I don't think it's right for him to comment on it. We'll just see what happens. I know he's looking forward to addressing it."

¢Challenge games set: KU's game at Arizona next Dec. 23 will be part of the Big 12/PAC-10 Hardwood Series.

Other games in the challenge ...

Dec. 4: Oklahoma State at Washington; UCLA at Texas; USC at Oklahoma. Dec. 5: Arizona at Texas A&M. Dec. 6: Baylor at Washington State; Oregon State at Iowa State. Dec. 7: Kansas State at Oregon; Nebraska at Arizona State; California at Missouri. Also: Colorado at Stanford, Nov. 29 and Texas Tech at Stanford, Dec. 28.

¢NBA workouts: On Monday, KU's Sasha Kahn worked out for the Washington Wizards, Russell Robinson for the Charlotte Bobcats and Darrell Arthur for the Memphis Grizzlies.

Comments

janeyb 6 years, 10 months ago

Self might not want to stand too close to Collins. It could be messy.

Confrontation 6 years, 10 months ago

gram77-Feel free to root for K-Suck and Missery.

Bone777 6 years, 10 months ago

rachaelisacancer-what was the use of that site?That was one time he "whipped it out" and left some proof...

morganlefay 6 years, 10 months ago

Mighty strange she didn't file a civil suit until May 14,2008 when the alleged incident happened a year before. That's also about 1 month after KU won the championship. This is all adding up to a bunch of BS!!!

Confrontation 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow! I can't believe that I can still be amazed by idiots in Lawrence! I am a huge KU basketball fan, but I believe that this should be fully investigated. If Sherron did something, then he should pay and be kicked off the team. This type of assault should never be tolerated, and if it did happen, then I hope he's punished. Only a sick and disgusting pervert would be okay with this type of action. If this did happen, then he should be happy that this woman didn't have a weapon to defend herself. He'd have to worry about something worse than a bruised knee. No woman should ever have to "take it and live with it." Men should have respect for women and think with the appropriate head.

bad_dog 6 years, 10 months ago

Bone777 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't think Sherron has anything to worry about. A few years down the road he will probably get the MVP of the NBA, ala Kobe Bryant...

morganlefay 6 years, 10 months ago

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...

alm77 6 years, 10 months ago

morgan, read the other article. The statute of limitations on this was almost up and the authorities hadn't done anything about it.

fu7il3 6 years, 10 months ago

"Why do people always cry attack or you promise me this to athletes."Why do people always assume that athletes are good people? He didn't cure cancer. He wasn't even a walk-on in the cure for cancer.

morganlefay 6 years, 10 months ago

hockmano 6 years, 10 months ago

If she didn't file a police report apparently it didn't bother her much.If someone did that sort of thing to me I would have certainly filled out a police report.

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 10 months ago

Various pictures of Sherron Collins, girlfriend Re'Quiya Aguirre, and baby boy Sherr'mari Marlon Collins.

raiderssb 6 years, 10 months ago

His inappropriate behavior was reported to the Asst. Dir. for Custodial Services immediately after it happened. Not only that, it was discussed by KU staffers as soon as it was reported. It was common knowledge in "CERTAIN" KU circles as soon as it was perpetrated by this "THUG". He has been abusive to women, young, and old, black, white, and all shades in between. This is no secret. So what if he has a "baby mama". Any idiot can create a child, it takes a REAL MAN to be a FATHER. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see once again, for some unknown reason, he was protected. For those of you that live in the "they can do no wrong" zone, get over yourselves. It isn't every womens desire to be approached by a thuggish, short, basketball player who can barely carry on a literate conversation. Gee, do you get it!!!

fu7il3 6 years, 10 months ago

If you read the other story, you'ld see she did file a police report.

letitgo 6 years, 10 months ago

Sherron didn't do crap. Why do people always cry attack or you promise me this to athletes. Sound craZy as heck. If he did do it he needs mental help, screw a lawsuit. Trust me when I say the chicks are killing over him. I am sure he could whip it out anywhere, if need be. These quick, I was assaulted lawsuits kill me. Most people dont do things on elevators anymore because most of them have cameras, unless they liked being watched! I am so tired of females crying attack. Yes I am a female! If you were attack then all means go allt he way. Why did she hesitate. He doesn't have clout, he's not even a starter. Don't know the details but it is just to convient for me. What ,he didn't want her so she got mad? $$$$ must be the money. What if he doesn't go pro then what? She has a judgment just sitting there and never getting paid. Hmmmmmmm....

fu7il3 6 years, 10 months ago

Morgan is too busy jumping to conclusions to care whether there is ground to land on.

buddy2me 6 years, 10 months ago

letitgo----Why are you jumping on the Sherron band wagon? You must either be Sheron or a good friend of his. Until you have been in a position of being attacked or harassed, you have no say about what the victim should feel or do. Have you ever been in her position? If the posters on this board have never been in her position you have no right to judge her. Again, there are only two people that know for sure what happened that day, and the truth will come out eventually. Of course everyone wants to think this didn't happen, but until we have the final judgement and all the facts are out we can not be the judge and jury. Don't assume you know what actually happened. The word on the street with the young girls in town is that they could see it happening, so until we all know what exactly happened don't assume.