Archive for Saturday, June 14, 2008

Also from June 14

Births
Couples
Obituaries
On the street
Photo galleries
Relay for Life People & Places House fire
Polls
Do you support the recently changed law that allows concealed-carry permit-holders to bring loaded weapons into bars that don't have a no-handgun sign posted on its doors?

Poll results

Response Percent
Yes.
 
50%
No.
 
48%
Not sure.
 
1%
Total 1659
Videos

Lead stories

12:00 a.m.
Hillcrest School team members show their spirit with a wave of their flags and a cheer Friday during the Relay for Life kickoff at Free State High School. The event, scheduled to go all night, is a fundraiser and celebration of those who have battled cancer. Relay for Life walkers burn midnight oil
June 14, 2008
Hundreds of cancer survivors lined up on the Free State High School track Friday evening to celebrate life in the annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life benefit. Between the people in the back of the pack who just months ago went into remission and those in the front who beat out cancer 20 years ago, Leslie Mutuku held her two young daughters’ hands, glad to be alive after surviving breast cancer two years ago.
6:00 a.m.
From left, Karen Buxton, of Greensboro, N.C., and Leslie Curley, of Topeka, talk with Patrick Geren, of Omaha, Neb., about energy supplements during the Ironman 70.3 Kansas expo at the corner of Ninth and New Hampshire streets. The triathlon starts Sunday morning at Clinton Lake. Expo sets tone for Ironman competition
June 14, 2008 in print edition on 1B
People often think of triathlon competitions as an individual sport. That’s not so for a St. Louis couple who have trained and competed together in triathlons for 20 years. Sunday’s Ironman 70.3 Kansas competition will mark Chris and Wayne Polette’s second Ironman event.
4:00 p.m.
Gary Roit, left, consoles Shannan McCawley on Friday as they clean out the charred remains of McCawley's house at 1141 N.Y. A fund has been established at Douglas County Bank to help the family. Lifetime of memories destroyed in house fire
June 14, 2008 in print edition on 1B
It was a night of highs and lows for Shannan McCawley and her family. Her son and niece received their GEDs on Thursday night. Then, she received two text messages telling her that her home at 1141 N.Y. was on fire. Lawrence fire officials said Friday that the blaze was due to faulty electrical wiring. The house she grew up in, where she lives now with her fiance, seven children ages 2 to 17 and her son’s girlfriend, was in flames.

All stories

K.C. falls in 10th
Walk-off home run nullifies Greinke’s gem
June 14, 2008 in print edition on C1
Chad Tracy finally knows how it feels to hit a walkoff homer.