Archive for Wednesday, June 11, 2008

People in the news

June 11, 2008

Advertisement

Swayze to begin shooting new series

New York - Patrick Swayze is going back to work.

The "Dirty Dancing" actor, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer earlier this year, will begin shooting his new A&E series "The Beast" in Chicago this summer, the cable network announced this week.

A&E ordered 13 episodes of the one-hour drama, which stars Swayze, 55, as an unorthodox FBI agent who trains - and hazes - his new partner (portrayed by Travis Fimmel). It is scheduled to premiere early next year.

The actor shot "The Beast" pilot last December, months before his cancer diagnosis surfaced in news reports.

Swayze's representative, Annett Wolf, confirmed to The Associated Press in early March that he was undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer; meanwhile, his physician Dr. George Fisher issued a hopeful statement, saying Swayze had "a very limited amount of disease" and appeared "to be responding well to treatment."

50 Cent ordered not to sell property

New York - A judge Tuesday ordered 50 Cent to hold on to the property where a $2.4 million house at the center of a bitter dispute with his ex-girlfriend burned to the ground last month.

State Supreme Court Justice Carol Edmead also ordered the rapper (real name: Curtis Jackson) to put any insurance proceeds he might receive into a trust account pending the outcome of the $50 million lawsuit filed against him earlier this year by Shaniqua Tompkins.

Tompkins' lawyer, Paul Catsandonis, requested the orders so his client can have access to some of 50 Cent's assets if she wins a judgment. He said 50 Cent, who was not present in court, agreed years ago to give Tompkins half of his earnings for life.

The home has been the subject of an intense feud between the entertainer and Tompkins.

Tompkins, 32, claims he promised her a house more than a decade ago while she was supporting him, but that since their breakup, he has been trying to evict her and their 11-year-old son, Marquise, from the home.

The mansion in the Long Island community of Dix Hills was destroyed in a suspicious fire May 30. Authorities are still investigating the blaze.

Spelling gives birth to baby girl, Stella

Los Angeles - Tori Spelling and husband Dean McDermott are parents again.

The "Beverly Hills, 90210" alum and McDermott welcomed their second child - 6-pound, 8-ounce Stella Doreen McDermott - at a Los Angeles hospital Monday, her publicist, Meghan Prophet, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

It's the second child for the 35-year-old actress and the third for McDermott, who has a son from a previous marriage.

The couple, who wed in May 2006 and star in the Oxygen reality series "Tori & Dean: Home Sweet Hollywood," have a 1-year-old son, Liam Aaron. The third season of their reality show premieres next Tuesday.

Coolio arrested for license infraction

Los Angeles - Coolio was arrested Tuesday on an outstanding misdemeanor warrant for driving with a suspended license, Los Angeles police said.

The 44-year-old rapper was released roughly five hours after officers pulled over his gray Hummer around 1:45 a.m. in Hollywood. He posted $10,000 bail.

Officers stopped him because the vehicle's registration was expired, but a check revealed his license was suspended and he had an outstanding warrant, Officer Ana Aguirre said.

Coolio, whose real name is Artis Leon Ivey Jr., gained fame for his 1995 single "Gansta's Paradise."

'Idol' runner-up gets record deal

Salt Lake City - David Archuleta has a job lined up once his "American Idol" tour is over - not that there was any doubt.

The 17-year-old "Idol" runner-up has signed a deal with 19 Recordings/ Jive Records, according to a Tuesday post on the Web site of the label managed by "Idol" creator Simon Fuller.

David Cook, 25, a former bartender from Blue Springs, Mo., won the "American Idol" title when the sixth season of Fox's top-rated singing competition wrapped up May 21. The title comes with a recording contract.

Bill Clinton's past channeled through Web

Little Rock, Ark. - Gennifer Flowers and Paula Jones want to share their recollections of former President Bill Clinton with their fellow Americans and, indeed, with the whole world via the Internet. All it takes to hear the lurid details of the encounters the two women claim to have had with Clinton is $1.99.

Flowers and Jones, who asserted in the early 1990s that they had encounters with Clinton in his days as the Arkansas governor, have created a Web site offering videos of their thoughts on Clinton, his wife, Hillary, and other matters. Each video segment is available for less than two bucks.

"It's a way we can get our story out there in our own words, without someone making their own interpretations or corrections," Jones said.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.