Archive for Thursday, July 31, 2008

Also from July 31

Blog entries
On the street
Photo galleries
Reader photos: 1005 Indiana Fire 1005 Indiana Fire Lawrence Visitor Center
What do you think of the Douglas County Fair antique tractor pull?

Poll results

Response Percent
Never been.
Sounds like fun.
Sounds like a drag.
Wouldn’t miss it.
What is it?
Total 368

Lead stories

6:00 a.m.
Oil and gas developer T. Boone Pickens addresses a town hall meeting on energy independence Wednesday, July 30, 2008, in Topeka, Kan. Pickens packs house
July 31, 2008 in print edition on 1A
With a salesman’s pitch that combined patriotism and profits, Texas billionaire T. Boone Pickens on Wednesday kicked off his tour to get the country off imported oil. Approximately 500 people crammed into Heritage Hall at the Kansas Expocentre to listen to the 80-year-old Pickens say, “I think we are very close to a disaster for the country.”
9:51 a.m.
Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical crews respond to a house fire at 1005 Indiana on Thursday. The fire started about 5:15 a.m. Fire Department: Illegal use of fireworks causes destructive Indiana Street fire
5:42 a.m., July 31, 2008 Updated 5:16 p.m. in print edition on 1A
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical said late Thursday that a fire at 1005 Ind. was caused when a couch on the front porch was ignited by the illegal use of fireworks. The fire injured two college students, caused $360,000 in damage and totaled the house, Chief Mark Bradford said. The multiple-alarm fire broke out about 5 a.m. Thursday. The four college-age men inside the house all escaped the fire.
10:00 p.m.
Indiana Street was blocked off Thursday as firefighters responded to a house fire at 1005 Ind. A ladder truck failed to work at the scene. Ladder’s failure hinders effort
July 31, 2008 in print edition on 1A
Efforts to fight Thursday morning’s fire at 1005 Ind. were seriously hampered by the failure of a fire truck that Chief Mark Bradford had repeatedly warned city leaders about. When firefighters sought to raise the 100-foot ladder on the department’s 10-year-old aerial truck, it simply wouldn’t move. “It obviously did have an impact on our fire attack,” Bradford said. “It was significantly delayed in getting large volumes of water on the fire.”

All stories

Stinky gambler fuming after removal
July 31, 2008 in print edition on A2
Yes, Michael Wax stank. He’s the first to admit it.
Fast food fiasco
The decision to ban new fast-food restaurants in South Los Angeles is insulting and unfair to both residents and restaurants.
July 31, 2008 in print edition on A7
The Los Angeles City Council wanted to look like it was doing something about the growing problem of obesity among South LA residents. So it made the area’s fast-food restaurants the scapegoat.