Archive for Thursday, July 10, 2008

City readies for festival

Jay Cady, right, and Leslie Cady, middle, both of Mission, show Oren Whalen, 2, and his father, Dan Carey-Whalen, both of Lawrence, a magic trick Wednesday at Ninth and Massachusetts streets before the Busker Fest planning committee's tour of downtown. The Busker Fest is set for Aug. 23 and 24 in Lawrence.

July 10, 2008

Leslie Cady juggles pins with Jay Cady, both of Mission, on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 to kill some time and entertain passers-by before touring downtown Lawrence with the Busker Fest planning committee.

Plans for Lawrence's Busker Fest, featuring street performers ranging from human statues to sword swallowers, are coming together, as organizers toured the downtown area Wednesday evening.

Busker Fest is scheduled for Aug. 22 through 24.

Organizers were scouting performance locations to supplement the fair's four main sites: the corners of Massachusetts Street at Seventh, Eighth and Ninth streets, and Eighth Street between New Hampshire and Massachusetts streets, which will be blocked to traffic.

The Lied Center, the Lawrence Arts Center and the Lawrence Farmers' Market will also host events.

"We're finding events are a great way to bring people downtown," said Jane Pennington, executive director of Downtown Lawrence Inc. "It's just an exciting way for people to spend time with their families and see downtown in a little bit different light."

Organizer Richard Renner, a Lawrence street performer, said 10 acts will perform throughout the weekend, and that at least 25 applied to perform. Final decisions on who will perform have not been made, but he promised a variety of entertainment.

"We try to get the oddball things," he said, citing fire eaters and a straitjacket escape artist. "A lot of it is going to be stuff you've never seen before."

The festival was originally slated for Aug. 16 and 17, but it was pushed back to ensure Kansas University students would be finished moving in for the upcoming school year.

City readies for festival

Sword swallowers, human statues, and escape artists are just a few of the acts that are set to entertain Lawrence residents in the city's first ever Busker Fest.

Busker Festival

Comments

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 10 months ago

I was more referring to the crack about Simon as a street performer.This festival is going to be sweet.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 9 months ago

Works for me, Pywacket, but these aren't just random buskers looking for their next fix of crack or MD2020. These are professional entertainers who are very good at what they do.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 9 months ago

What is hard to understand? One is cruelty to animals. The other is not.

Greg Yother 6 years, 10 months ago

The way I have heard the word used is a verb ("to busk" or "busking") to distinguish itself from pan-handling.For example, I've heard that if you sit on a corner and ask for change, you're panhandling; but if a band plays on the corner and has the guitar case open, or the tip jar sitting out, it's busking.

igby 6 years, 10 months ago

Whats a Busker?A bus load of gypsy looking drug addicts?

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 10 months ago

recalling the Joker's line in the Batman movie"This town needs an enema"and thinking that this town needs a busker festival...

acg 6 years, 9 months ago

This looks like fun. I'm going to take the kids if it isn't way too hot. I think they'd enjoy it. Blue, I also find unusual folks entertaining. I wish more people would look at stuff like this with an open mind rather than automatically label them as druggies, losers, bums or mentally handicapped. But then again, around here, with these horrible d-bags, I'm not surprised.

hairshoptalk 6 years, 9 months ago

whatever happen to trying anything new? all you jerks can do is make fun before ever going to this event! again just another group of close minded geezers!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 9 months ago

"Bozo-you really need to cultivate your imagination. Those of us who don't care for buskery can find a lot more amusing things to do than watch paint dry:"The way I look at it, those who think they won't like something they know nothing about should spend their time thinking about what they would do instead, rather than imagining the worst about that which they have no intentions of taking part in.

ModSquadGal 6 years, 10 months ago

Wait... you mean Simon (aka Dillon's Guy) ISN'T a street performer? And what about "Maraca Girl" or the various an sundry other guitar-slinging, singing, horn tooting folks hanging around downtown? I get a kick outta them all the time.And, how will we tell the "performers" from the "transients?" I think somebody needs to do a guide to help with that.

coolmarv 6 years, 9 months ago

"Lawrence is no longer part of a group of Kansas City suburbs that consistently grow faster than the statewide average."Good, I say. I never liked being considered part of KC anyway and if were not growing that's just fine with me.

DRsmith 6 years, 9 months ago

A freak show in Lawrence? Perfect place for it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm sure all of you who don't want to see the buskers will be able to find something that better fits your tastes-- you know, like watching paint dry or torturing small animals, for instance.

dweezil222 6 years, 9 months ago

Well, I guess I'll go to the festival, seeing as I can't enjoy a nice beer at Jaybowl instead...

Jim Phillips 6 years, 9 months ago

Sound to me like some of these folks are filling time between Ren Fests. These people are considered legit performers when in a festival setting, and less complimentary titles when they are street performers.

coolmarv 6 years, 9 months ago

Okay, this was supposed to be posted on the "Citys growth at.08%". Not sure what happened.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 9 months ago

"We try to get the oddball things..."... but, alas, it seems, so rarely we do.

acg 6 years, 9 months ago

Well pywacket, at least you have the courtesy to say "that's not for me, I'm not really interested" without assuming that the participants are dope heads, losers, yahoos, mentally unstable or worse. That's better than I can say for most posters.

Richard Renner 6 years, 10 months ago

A busker is the old english term for street performer. Busker festivals are quite common in Canada, Europe and Australia.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 10 months ago

Nice, ModSquadGal. I'm glad you're amused by the mentally ill. Can I ask you on a date? We can visit the junior high special ed kids. They're always good for a laugh.

ModSquadGal 6 years, 9 months ago

Pywacket: DING DING DING! A joke! Wow, novel idea, huh? Chill out peeps... Nothing I said was untrue or rude or made a claim that mentally ill people are "amusing." I simply stated we already have a LOT of "characters" downtown who regularly do their thing. And geniusmannumber1, no, you cannot ask me on a date. Additionally, I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.