Archive for Monday, July 7, 2008

Police outline events of killing

Suspect was in NJ before victim found

Friends and family of a Lawrence murder victim hope to keep her memory alive. On Wednesday, friends and family gathered for a celebration of life to remember Jana Mackey.

July 7, 2008

The suspect in the recent homicide of a Kansas University student drove nearly 23 hours to New Jersey last week before police found his former girlfriend's body at his Lawrence home, according to a timeline of events that police released Monday.

"The timeline is meant to provide some understanding of this complex and tragic case," said Capt. Dan Ward.

Jana Mackey, 25, was found dead at the home of her ex-boyfriend, Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, a 46-year-old Lawrence artist who also went by the name Fito Garche.

She likely was killed between 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, when she was last seen in class at KU, and 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, when Garcia-Nunez was seen at a Lawrence convenience store before driving to New Jersey, police said.

Mackey's body wasn't discovered until the next day.

A friend reported Mackey missing at 4:36 p.m. Thursday after she didn't show up to class. About two hours later, Mackey's vehicle was found in the parking lot of Lawrence Memorial Hospital, near Garcia-Nunez's home.

Lawrence Police said they found Mackey's body at 11:07 p.m. Thursday in Garcia-Nunez's home, 409 Mich., after interviewing people the suspect was associated with.

By the time the KU student's body was found, Garcia-Nunez had been in New Jersey about five hours. He arrived there with his 18-year-old son and 19-year-old daughter. The children's mother lives in New Jersey.

"The son and daughter were not privy to what had occurred, fortunately," Ward said. "They were not involved."

About 5:30 a.m. Friday - about a half-hour after police asked for the public's help in finding Garcia-Nunez and his white Ford F-150 pickup truck - Garcia-Nunez's unoccupied truck was discovered in Elizabeth, N.J. Within hours, four Lawrence Police detectives were on a plane to New Jersey.

About 5 p.m. Friday, Elizabeth, N.J., police located Garcia-Nunez at a home and arrested him on a second-degree murder warrant from Douglas County. About the same time, Lawrence police issued a statement saying Garcia-Nunez's truck had been found. Police would not say where.

While awaiting extradition, Garcia-Nunez hanged himself at Elizabeth police headquarters, where his body was found in a holding cell early Saturday morning, Union County New Jersey prosecutor spokesman John Holl said.

After meeting with Mackey family members Saturday morning, Lawrence police sent out a news release about 1:45 p.m. Saturday about Garcia-Nunez's apparent suicide.

Ward wouldn't provide specifics of Mackey's death, out of respect to her family who told police they don't want to know how she died. He did say Mackey fought her attacker before she was killed.

"There was a physical altercation between the two of them," Ward said. "During that altercation, Mr. Garcia also received some injuries from Jana fighting back."

Also, he said officers found an open can of kerosene at the home during their investigation.

"The fumes had gathered inside the residence," Ward said.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical was called, and firefighters determined the kerosene wasn't a hazard.

Mackey was a second-year KU law student from Hays. A celebration of her life will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Liberty Hall. Her full obituary appears in the link below.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 5 months ago

What a nightmare for his kids-- a non-stop 19-hour drive to NJ, likely unplanned, only to have him arrested for murder almost immediately, followed by his suicide. What sort of effect will that have on them? Can't be a good one.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps so, fu7il3, but that doesn't change the facts of my previous post.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

Blurry: "Heck, I'm far less smarter, and far less "stable-r" than Jana, and I've googled girls' names some mornings while they're still in my bed!"I guess it's a credit to you, then, that you knew their first AND last names at that point.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

Pogo: "Am I looking in the wrong place or has this blog "Tangential" by the woman already been taken off the LJWorld website? If it's been taken down, that's not very nice."I'm not sure how to interpret the question or whether it is even directed to me, but I had posted some earlier comments in a related forum...http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/jul/05/suspect_killing_commits_suicide/I don't know why this story got hold of me as it did.I didn't know either of the recently departed.... then again... maybe we all did.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 5 months ago

Point #1: There should be a limit to the length of some of these blogs. Some of you just like to see yourself in print waaaaaay to much.Point #2: By the account of the timeline, Jana was reported missing after not showing up to class. Students often don't show up for class. Did she know her life might be in danger and told friends to report her missing if she didn't follow her routine? How did her car get to LMH and she end up in Fito/Aldolfo's house? We probably never know.Point #3: Google your dates before you get into a serious relationship. Maybe a similar tragedy might be avoided.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 5 months ago

"Lots of people have been abandoned by parents that didn't kill everyone that tried to distance themselves from them. Part of the problem with our society is that we make excuses for acts of violence committed by violent people."Looking for causes/explanations of behavior is not the same as "excusing" it. If such causes/explanations had been sought for his previous violent behavior, and he had received adequate treatment and counseling for his problems, both of these people might be alive today.

shutupyousmugtownies 6 years, 5 months ago

Listen, I imagine the tragic events of this past week have little to nothing to do with most of you, so show some respect and put an end to this shameful self-riotous bickering. You know who you are, and you will probably respond to this post, so by all means, call yourselves out.

gypsygirl 6 years, 5 months ago

invictus: where did you get your facts? Just curious...Seems to me a lot of Cubans were put IN prison - not emptied OUT. I'm not a cuban scholar but I have Cuban family members and friends...and I've never heard of that theory.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

simplemind (Anonymous) says:"maybe instead of cheap talking about the victims in this case, which to me would be both parties a bigger problem needs to be addressed, such as the system and how to rehabilitate the corrupt citizens of our society."Perhaps you know of such a system that has a proven record of "rehabilitation" of the "corrupt citizens" in this society or in other countries? If you do please feel free to share the details such as costs and benefits including objective measures of effectiveness. Otherwise most of us will file this along side the "maybe Jana was a Saint" and the maybe "Garcia-Nunez was an alien in an Edgar suit" discussions which are of little value and best suited for the late night bull sessions of undergraduate dorm rooms and coffee shops by those who for all their grand solutions have no idea of what they are talking about and zero experience dealing with the complex issues like domestic abuse and murder that they so easily resolve.

gypsygirl 6 years, 5 months ago

I think we can all have compassion for people who have grown up with troubled lives. Whether beaten, neglected, or whatever abuse you've encountered...you still have a choice to pull up your big boy pants and make a decision to get help, take medication, treatment, etc. and move forward. We all have a choice of who we want to become tomorrow. As a product of two abusive alcoholic parents, I CHOOSE not to be an alcoholic. I don't think anyone should be judged for how they deal with their grief. If you want to hate the monster, hate the monster...or feel sorry for his troubled childhood, do as you please. Ultimately, it's not up to us....and we'll all be judged one day.

HiLo2457 6 years, 5 months ago

tomatoluvah - Thank you for posting those - truly sad, we failed Jana as a community on so many levels. I was serious about the idea of a database of violent offenders - does such a thing exist? I know you can pay money for background checks, but it seems that the information is difficult to come across for free. I had a bad feeling about someone I got involved with a while ago, and tried to talk to the police. They told me he had a record, but wouldn't give me specifics of what the charges were. Obviously some charges would have caused me more alarm than others, so it would be nice to have a "violent offenders" database that could be searched, to avoid getting into bad situations.When you fall for someone, it's hard to think they would ever do anything to hurt you. Love is blind, as they say. That is particularly dangerous with sociopaths, because they are so charming, and know the right thing to say and do all the time. But in reality, they will hurt you eventually, physically, emotionally, financially. By the time they do, you've already fallen for them and want to make all sorts of excuses for their behavior, and truly believe they really care for you. I'm speaking from experience! Obviously we can't all know who people are before we get involved with them, but if it would help even a few people to know that the person they're getting involved with has the capacity for violence, it would be worth it...

fu7il3 6 years, 5 months ago

Or you could say that a violent individual, with violent tendencies, murdered a woman whose only crime was to have associated with the guy in the first place.When you rationalize what a murdered has done, you minimalize the loss of the victim.You could say he felt guilty and that is why he killed himself. Of course, he may have also thought death was better than being in prison for the rest of his life.Lots of people have been abandoned by parents that didn't kill everyone that tried to distance themselves from them. Part of the problem with our society is that we make excuses for acts of violence committed by violent people. If we didn't, he might have still be in jail from the last act of violence he committed, or she never would have had anything to do with him in the first place.This belief that everyone is inherently good is going to kill us all.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 5 months ago

"Perhaps, in some measure, it is the mistaking of a human being for "horse manure" which fosters such outcomes. Apparently, at some point, Jana found value in Adolfo."People find value in horse manure as well. It makes good fertilizer. Feel free to continue giving credit to Adolfo. I still think his actions against women made him a dirtbag.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

gypsygirl: "How can anyone in their right mind support Castro and Communism??"Really... after all, are we not inFidels?

50YearResident 6 years, 5 months ago

"Garcia-Nunez's unoccupied truck was discovered in Elizabeth, N.J. Within hours, four Lawrence Police detectives were on a plane to New Jersey."Why on earth would the Lawrence Police Department send four detectives to New Jersey by plane to look for Garcia? Did they think the police in Elizabeth, N.J. were incompetent to work this case? This reminds me of a current TV show where the FBI flies to work unsolved cases.

tomatoluvah 6 years, 5 months ago

From other article- TAKE NOTE of these comments!!IMFRasor (Anonymous) says: I would like to say first off, my prayers go out to Jana and her family. My life was directly effected by Fito Garche's actions in 2004 when he attacked my ex-wife causing her to fear for her life and flee the the state with my daughter. Fito Garche had tryed to get a restraining order against me out of fear of retaliation. Well, I had to endure this individual coming back into my community and being welcomed with open arms. The victim and friends of hers had judged me and try to socially ostrasize me because they believed Fito's lies he told them about how I was stalking him,etc. Fito Garche was a sociopathic, disturbed individual. It saddens me that my warnings fell on deaf ears. I always knew the problem of Fito Garche would work itself out. Its just so tradgic that an innocent life had to be sacrifised in doing so. And so I say wake up people!!!!not all are who they seem to be. R.I.P. Jana Mackeychanteuz (Anonymous) says: This newspaper printed an extraordinarily positive article about Fito when he returned from prison/mental ward after trying to murder my step-daughter. I wrote a scathing respone to the article that was NEVER published, indicating that this man was a sociopath and should not be promoted in your community. He needed to return to Cuba or, rather, be permanently imprisoned or both. I am disappointed that your article promoting Fito Garche or whomever he really was was published AND I'm disappointed that you did not publish my response. A woman is dead and "all are punished."

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

That mistake has been made more than once on this board.Stillhavingawonderfulinternetlife.

HiLo2457 6 years, 5 months ago

Tangential - I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to convince me of, why you're defending him, or why it's so important to you to challenge everyone on attacking him while "tangentially" attacking them (and me) yourself. It's not important to me to get into a philosophical or religious debate with you over this. I'm grieving for my friend, as many people in this town are, so your sanctimonious comments aren't going to be received very well. P.S. For all of the Buddhist sentiment welling within you, I can't see Gautama Buddha, Jesus, Mohommad, any bodhisattva, or any enlightened figure sitting and arguing with anyone in their grief, trying to convince them they're wrong. I think that speaks more of a need within yourself to be proven right. I don't know who you are, and maybe you're a really great person to be around in real life, but I'm not sure what your intention is here. If it is to enlighten, you might reexamine some of the teachings you seem to hold in such high esteem.

simplemind 6 years, 5 months ago

of course it is complex in such a complex world, but simply speaking it would be nice. i was just thinking social issues. maybe we should go back to the days of clowns and public humiliation?

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 5 months ago

Why on earth would the Lawrence Police Department send four detectives to New Jersey by plane to look for Garcia? Did they think the police in Elizabeth, N.J. were incompetent to work this case?=========Ummm...considering that the guy died while in their custody...

50YearResident 6 years, 5 months ago

From Cheesburger, How would you have handled it? You make it sound like the LPD detectives were taking a vacation at taxpayer's expense!I would have contacted them by phone and emailed a picture to the police department with instructions that he is a murder suspect and may be armed and dangerous. After all, there is a chance that he had stolen another vehicle ant traveled elsewhere. I am sure that the LPD were taking a bloodhound with them to follow the trail from the truck. You know those New Joursey guys kaint do nothin right.

KSChick1 6 years, 5 months ago

Kropotkin (Anonymous) says: Have you read her blog, "Tangential?" Chronic, foul mouthed mocking of Lawrence and its residents, and self-congratulations for filling LJW reader comments pages with almost 12,000 explosions of bilge. This seems to be her obsession and sole purpose in life.BTW-Marion is a MAN...

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

murphy59: "But, then again, maybe not.""Maybe" would seem to imply "maybe not.""Maybe not" does not disqualify "maybe."fu7il3: "When you rationalize what a murdered has done, you minimalize the loss of the victim."I do not believe I have either rationalized a murder or minimized the loss of a victim. Quite the contrary.fu7il3: "This belief that everyone is inherently good is going to kill us all."If you read my post, then the inferable "belief" would be that each of us is inherently... human.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

Haiku_Cuckoo: "People find value in horse manure as well. It makes good fertilizer. Feel free to continue giving credit to Adolfo. I still think his actions against women made him a dirtbag."So, what are we left with, Haiku? The beloved being murdered by dirtbags, amid a chorus of condemnation? If this is the best we can do, then we'll continue to have ample opportunity to sing! (Reminds me of another insight into condemnation, regarding those who forget the past or who fail to learn from it.)BTW, far from "giving credit," I have simply acknowledged Adolfo's humanity.Human... like you and me.

HiLo2457 6 years, 5 months ago

Tangential wrote:"And so, in Jana, maybe this "devil" found an angel, and maybe that's why he found it so hard to let her go: until a tragic act of passion placed her forever beyond his reach."-I think you're getting a little too philosophical about this situation, and you're making it sound like some modern-day Romeo and Juliet. This isn't a play, two people are dead in real life. You go ahead and feel sorry for him if you want, but 99% of the population can DEAL with their s*** without killing anyone. There's no excuse. "BTW, far from "giving credit," I have simply acknowledged Adolfo's humanity.Human: like you and me."-I am human, and part of being human is making choices. If you make the choice to kill someone, you have placed yourself beyond the realm of compassion and understanding. You have made yourself a monster, no matter what people label you as. He knew he had these tendencies, and he could have sought help. He didn't. So keep on trying to defend him and cast him in a "human" light - to me that makes it even worse. We're all humans that have to live together on this planet, and if you choose to violate certain standards, namely respecting the sanctity of life, then you reap the consequences. Why should I feel sorry for him or see him as "just a human being?" Did he see Jana as a human being when he was taking her life? You can get all sanctimonious and condemn everyone on this site who calls him a monster, but HE is the one who chose to kill an innocent woman. He made himself a monster, and I'm going to leave it up to God to forgive him. As for me, I think the focus should be on the REAL victims: Jana, his kids, and Jana's friends and family who are grieving so hard right now they're in physical pain.

OzChicklet 6 years, 5 months ago

tangential_reasoners_anonymous (Anonymous) says: OzChicklet: "Your response to the Tangential "Moon Puppy" was well stated. (I wouldn't want to desecrate the name of Buddha by association with Tangential)"Moon Puppy?Desecration by association?Somewhere over the rainbow, OzChicklet?Ah, yes, Tangential grasshopper...To be one within oneself while over the rainbow, is to know thyself in true reality.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

HiLo2457: "... I don't know who you are...."I can see from your posts that you've "read a lot" into my comments.It is not my intent "to convince... to defend... to challenge... to attack... to be proven right."Well, maybe "to challenge" belief and value systems which seem to me to perpetuate such tragedies. To question... perhaps to illuminate... to learn.It is amazing to me how polarizing these exchanges have been. Perhaps it is inevitable, indicative of the depth of pain experienced by the participants. We get hurt, we become reactive, we lash. I can't help but think that these were elements in Adolfo's pivotal episode.Human.We should, I think, take comfort in the fact that it is only human, not monstrous, because, if only human, it then becomes tractable, and true healing becomes possible.And, so, I'll close (and exit) on that note... human.

fu7il3 6 years, 5 months ago

We don't know that he didn't receive treatment or counseling. Nor do we know that any additional would have been any more effective. Besides, even if he had currently been in treatment and counseling, how do you keep him from doing it while he is getting treatment and counseling.Not everyone can be treated and counseled into a better person. They have a had a lifetime to shape the way they are. You aren't going to fix it over months or even a few years.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 5 months ago

jkealing (Jonathan Kealing) says: "Sigmund, The user is still available. For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is deleting anything off of our sites has a lot of unintended consequences, we virtually never delete anything. That being said, since Jana wasn't a verified user, I'm not comfortable posting which user she was."------------------------------Eerie, though, that you know which one she was even though she wasn't a verified user. So much for internet anonymity, eh? May as well get verified if they know who you are anyway!

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

jkealing (Jonathan Kealing) says: "Jana didn't have a blog on our site, though she did leave some comments."Has that user and her comments been removed or are they still available? If they are no longer available, why?

yellowhouse 6 years, 5 months ago

gypsygirl 6 years, 5 months ago

"Many of these Cuban "refuges" are criminals, Castro used political crisises to purge the island of criminals and send them to the U.S. The criminals then claimed to be "refugees" all the while comitting crime and trafficing drugs. But who cares this country has gone in the crapper we should put sings on the borders "Welcome Criminals!!, enjoy our country" "America has plenty of our own criminals. Whether imigrants come from Cuba, Mexico, Europe, Asia, etc - people are people...we're all human. And somewhere in the mix of us "Humans", there's always a whack-job or "criminal". Furthermore, consider yourself lucky that you just happened to be born in the USA. It's a flip of the coin - you could have just as easily been born in Cuba yourself (or worse)- searching for a way to get to the freedom land make a better life for yourself/family.

Munsoned 6 years, 5 months ago

trangential--It's just that your verbiage and tone come off as narcissistic. I think I understand what you are trying to say, but your incessant responses to everyone elses emotional comments (or should I say "human" comments) are frustrating to those who are merely trying to express themselves.

gypsygirl 6 years, 5 months ago

Such a tragic ending to the life of a beautiful, smart woman who had her whole life ahead of her.Tungs are wagging about the crime scene...and it does not sound as if this were an impulsive, heat of the moment murder. He was obviously very disturbed.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 5 months ago

HiLo,The Kansas registered offender database isn't all inclusive, but it includes more than just sex offenders. This page also links to the Department of Corrections database of former DOC inmates.http://www.accesskansas.org/kbi/ro.shtmlHope that helps.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

trishlovesdolphins 6 years, 5 months ago

I'd also like to say, I'm a social worker, though I haven't been practicing long, I've seen people who had horrible childhoods, people who were abused, neglected, exploited. Not ONE of them has killed someone. Not a single one. None of that takes away that the killer made the choice to take another life. One's past does NOT dictate their future.

simplemind 6 years, 5 months ago

before condemning the aggressor or the victims characters maybe some thought should be put into how the system handled this matter from the root beginning. fito had previous involvement with the law several years back resulting in incarceration for trying to murder another individual. he was later released back into this town after spending time in prison for attempted murder. if my facts are correct, several citizens were appalled by this and took action, but their voices were not heard. so here sits lawrence so shocked by what has happened. seems silly... maybe instead of cheap talking about the victims in this case, which to me would be both parties a bigger problem needs to be addressed, such as the system and how to rehabilitate the corrupt citizens of our society.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

^"... And, so, I'll close (and exit) on that note: human."Hey, Trish, I still love dolphins.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

HiLo2457: "We miss you, Jana Lynne. You were a constant source of light and life. I know that piece of horse manure is in a place where he can never get to you again."It's a strange sort of "light" which you have shed on the matter.Perhaps, in some measure, it is the mistaking of a human being for "horse manure" which fosters such outcomes. Apparently, at some point, Jana found value in Adolfo.

gypsygirl 6 years, 5 months ago

How can anyone in their right mind support Castro and Communism??

Kontum1972 6 years, 5 months ago

i have noticed that alot of women really enjoy being with these kind of guys who treat them like dirt..my brother was one of these guys he had a bevy of chicks and he treated them all like dirt....he never was without female companionship....me on the other hand have been told i am "too nice of a guy".....but thats okay....!i really dont want to be "anything like" my bro., he is a loser big time!Sorry that her life ended so tragically....

HiLo2457 6 years, 5 months ago

Tangential - Ok, I get it, you're trying to play the enlightened Buddhist on this. He was a tortured soul, still a human being, blah blah blah. I have unending sympathy for the human condition, I realize that people make mistakes and there is always more to a story. But he KILLED her. It's at least the second time he's gotten violent with a woman, but I'm sure there have been more. She obviously cared about him and saw value in him, and look what he did. It's not an easy thing to kill a person, especially someone who is fighting back against you. I'm sure this didn't happen quickly. It was a brutal, violent action against someone who did nothing but care for people and see the best in them all her life. So you go ahead and keep seeing the best in Fito Horse-manure Garche, but it's not like "seeing value in him" made a difference in this situation, in fact it seems to have made it worse. It doesn't matter how nice you are to a sociopath, they never change. I refuse to fill my heart with hate, because that's not the way Jana would have wanted us to be. But I REFUSE to see some sort of excuse for his behavior, or to say "that's ok, he was only human." It's not ok, Jana is dead. Maybe Jesus or Buddha can have unending compassion toward murderers, but I'm not Jesus or Buddha. I have no compassion for that man, he's a repeat offender, if he could have been helped then this wouldn't have happened. He was beyond help, he was one of those fringe elements that probably would have been exiled from the tribe back in the day and left to fend for himself. He does not deserve our compassion, because compassion is what enabled him to commit this act in the first place. I hope he finds peace with his Lord, but I am human, and I afford him no compassion.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 5 months ago

Hi all,Just to clarify, the blog referenced in Kropotkin's comment is Marion's, not Jana's. And, for the record, Marion is to my knowledge a man. Jana didn't have a blog on our site, though she did leave some comments.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

simplemind 6 years, 5 months ago

it could be very costly to run a program to rehabilitate individuals, i agree, but the point is, is that is short-term thinking. i suggest to step out of the now and think about how rehabilitation over a period of time may just change the minds of these people. of course throwing an individual in a prison cell and calling it rehabilitation is not very effective, but while intensive therapy may be costly right now, i could see a positive outcome if taken seriously and looked at as a long-term goal. it's not like we have a shortage of time... maybe someday we'll get it right, instead of repeating the past. just because another city, state, or country wasn't successful does not mean it is not possible. that seems like a weak state of mind to believe it is out of our reach as a whole.

OzChicklet 6 years, 5 months ago

HiLo2457 - thank you. Your response to the Tangential "Moon Puppy" was well stated. (I wouldn't want to desecrate the name of Buddha by association with Tangential)

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 5 months ago

Sigmund,The user is still available. For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is deleting anything off of our sites has a lot of unintended consequences, we virtually never delete anything. That being said, since Jana wasn't a verified user, I'm not comfortable posting which user she was.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps, in some measure, it is the mistaking of a human being for "horse manure" which fosters such outcomes. Apparently, at some point, Jana found value in Adolfo.... and having said that, let me acknowledge your grief, the (above) expression of which, IMHO, is misdirected and self-harming.

HiLo2457 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow. It never ceases to amaze me how the "experts" come out of the woodworks to throw in their two cents on this site whenever something major happens in Lawrence. There's enough amateur psychoanalysis on this page to explain the secret of life. I wish people would be a little more respectful instead of trying to prove how smart they are and how they MUST know exactly what was going on in everybody's head. Yes, you're all very smart, but do we really have to go all CSI on this? It seems pointless and disrespectful to me.In response to this situation, it does tick me off that he had done this before and he was on the street - not very many people knew about his past, and it happened in this very town. There is no way to know that someone has a history of domestic violence - some of these people are very charismatic and charming (read: sociopaths). If we can force child molesters to go door-to-door and tell people what they've done, put stickers on their car and signs in their yard, couldn't we at least create a database of domestic abusers? It should be our right to find out about people's past before we get involved with them - what if Jana had been able to go to a database and see that this scumbag had a history of violence? Maybe she would have avoided him instead of getting involved with him. We miss you, Jana Lynne. You were a constant source of light and life. I know that piece of horse manure is in a place where he can never get to you again.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 5 months ago

"maybe some thought should be put into how the system handled this matter from the root beginning. fito had previous involvement with the law several years back resulting in incarceration for trying to murder another individual."Hear, hear!! I am with you 100% We need stricter laws and tougher sentencing. I don't care at all that the guy was a misunderstood artist or that he had a so-called rough upbringing. If you cause harm to someone, you should be locked up!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

HiLo2457: "Ok, I get it, you're trying to play the enlightened Buddhist on this."On the contrary, it was not a "role" which I sought; it was a sentiment which welled within me.HiLo2457: "But he KILLED her.... Jana is dead."He killed them both; Jana and Adolfo are dead.HiLo2457: "Fito Horse-manure Garche.... I have no compassion for that man.... He does not deserve our compassion...."wow.I cannot feel anything but compassion for such a... soul.HiLo2457: "It doesn't matter how nice you are to a sociopath, they never change."I leave my mind and heart open to the possibility of change for such individuals.HiLo2457: "I think you're getting a little too philosophical about this situation.... This isn't a play, two people are dead in real life."In the face of such an outcome, it would seem that philosophy... and religion... are perhaps all we are left with.HiLo2457: "You go ahead and feel sorry for him if you want, but 99% of the population can DEAL with their s*** without killing anyone."Then I guess it is that 1% which warrants greater attention.(And, BTW, I experience sorrow for all touched by this situation.)HiLo2457: "If you make the choice to kill someone, you have placed yourself beyond the realm of compassion and understanding. You have made yourself a monster...."Why should any act place one beyond the realm of human compassion?I think it was "Fred" who said (my paraphrase), "It is important, when battling monsters, that one take care not to become a monster, oneself."HiLo2457: "I'm going to leave it up to God to forgive him.""Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.... Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."Thoughtful, relevant words.HiLo2457: "As for me, I think the focus should be on the REAL victims: Jana, his kids, and Jana's friends and family who are grieving so hard right now they're in physical pain."Me, too.... and for all those who might be spared a similar fate, were we farseeing and proactive enough to intervene in their behalf.

Mike Blur 6 years, 5 months ago

Tangential: I need no surnames. I'm a savvy Googler. HiLo: I haven't mentioned this until now. I have met both Jana and Fito during my forays into the Lawrence nightlife scene. (My favorite hangouts are the FSBC and the Replay!) I can roll with just about anything anyone suggests, however, I got a bad vibe from Fito, although he wanted to be my friend--even invited me to a cookout at his house. He seemed really insincere, however. I'm used to being ostracized, however, so if I don't go along with the crowd it's not a big deal to me.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

Marion: "El perro rabioso Garche/Fito/Adolfo ha muerto. Justicia se sirve."Have you had your vaccination, Marion?Lately, you seem to be frothing a little at the corners of your mouth.

loki8025 6 years, 5 months ago

This is the last time I will ever leave a comment here. I am all for freedom and speech. I am all for the right to state your own opinion and the right to fight censorship. SO what I am going to do is say what I feel and than use my right to leave all of these posters. What I have seen since the morning this all started makes me ashamed. ashamed of being a human being. The gossip and insinuations. The hurtful opinions. This is what makes people hate the media. This is the stuff that turns even more people against their brothers and sisters. I am sick of it. It disgust me and I am sure it disgusts many others. Much of this has been going on. What is going on? What is happening. I will not be a part of this. I am heart broken for all of Jana's family and friends. Please, for those who are family and friends, believe less than 2% of the people that are on this poster. Go to a site that celebrates her life. The facebook is a great one with many great pictures of her and her friends. To the others. You are cowards. You are wrong and hurtful people. YOU are the reason this kind of stuff happens. You are enablers and instigators. Do This world would be a better place without this LJWorld posters. If we would spend the time out in public protesting or even talking about it. But no, we hide behind electronic veils. Forget it. I will not be a part of this. I am sorry for every one, including those who gossip and insinuate. I was a hypocrite about many things. I am learning and have learned from mine and others mistakes. Once again, my heart and prayers go out to family and friends of Jana. I am sorry for everything. I apologize for the sewage that has spills from these posters and all of those involved.

Hawk6643 6 years, 5 months ago

I understand that the children weren't aware of what was going on but wouldn't they have been curious why their father had injuries?

Laura Watkins 6 years, 5 months ago

igby (Anonymous) says:Did I understand that the 18 and 19 year old son and daughter, traveled back to NJ with him?Would this not make them suspect in the crime and flight as well?---------------------------------------------------------they were not aware of what had happened.

HiLo2457 6 years, 5 months ago

Mike - Those are my favorite hangouts too, we probably know each other in real life :-)I only met Fito a couple of times, and never really sat and talked to him, so I can't say I ever made a judgement call on him one way or another. Of course, looking back you can always point to a situation or action that was "weird," but that's all in hindsight. It's too bad that everyone couldn't see through him. This is so tragic, and for those left behind it leaves you wondering about your judgement and perception of people. Everyone should go to Jana's funeral and memorial service today:Liberty Hall, 2:00pmReplay Lounge, 8:00pmCelebrate the life of this wonderful, caring person!

tunahelper 6 years, 5 months ago

how sad. way too young to die for a super person who was trying to make the world a better place.

Frank Smith 6 years, 5 months ago

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

jkealing (Jonathan Kealing) says: "Sigmund, The user is still available. For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is deleting anything off of our sites has a lot of unintended consequences, we virtually never delete anything. That being said, since Jana wasn't a verified user, I'm not comfortable posting which user she was."Perfectly understandable positions. Thank you.

shutupyousmugtownies 6 years, 5 months ago

trishlovesdolphins 6 years, 5 months ago

For the love of God Tang (though, I'm sure you'll throw that in my face) The killer made the CHOICE to do what he did. Jana didn't. Jana didn't trick herself into going to his home, Jana didn't kill herself, Jana didn't run to NJ, Jana didn't kill herself in the jail cell.Those are all CHOICES the murdering SOB made, once he made the choice to take someone's life, he lost his "right" to be thought of as a person who should be pitied as a lost "soul" for this. I really hope that instead of trying to cause the family and friends of Jana more grief (Which I can only assume is your only agenda given you've posted the same crap in every story so far) that you take your argument some place it is appreciated.

HiLo2457 6 years, 5 months ago

Gina,Just some thoughts on your questions:She was a law student. I took a couple of law classes, and in my experience it is strange for law students not to show up for class. If your attendance is lax, you're not going to pass those intensive classes. The place her car was parked was close to Fito's house. Maybe that's where she usually parked and walked over (I'm just supposing here). And to Mike's comments: Fito had a lot of people in this town fooled. Sociopaths are con artists. They construct lies and tell you what you want to hear. Too many women (and men) get caught up with these kind of people, because you care about them and you think that if you just show them enough love, they'll realize how they're hurting you and they'll change (I'm speaking of my own experiences right now, not necessarily Jana, but I do believe Fito was a sociopath). Everyone needs to understand that you CANNOT change a sociopath, no matter how much you love them and care about them. They don't see any reason to change. Unfortunately, it's not an easy concept to grasp when you really care about one. It goes against human reasoning, since they are only 1% of the population. The other 99% would reciprocate love, and change. No matter how hard you try, that 1% is not going to change

Mike Blur 6 years, 5 months ago

Gina:1) there is a prescribed length to these blogs. However, it's pretty deep--I've seen only a couple "capped" in the nearly 5 years I've been a verified user.2) Different strokes. I only missed one class in 9 semesters of attending KU. (I actually showed for 2 classes that were canceled, so in my accounting, I am plus one on perfect attendance at KU.) I'm sure if Jana was committed to attending class, her absence would be regarded as remarkable by her classmates. Keep in mind she also "unusually" missed a couple appointments the day before, as well. So, maybe the missed class was the "final straw" so to speak.3) Agreed, and considering the information on Fito that was out there, I am somewhat amazed that Jana chose to either disregard or attempt to reconcile the information proffered her. She's a smart woman. There is NO WAY she didn't know about his past, particularly in light of the commentor (IMFRasor) from the other thread saying that he was basically excoriated by Jana and her friends for dating the guy. Heck, I'm far less smarter,and far less "stable-r" than Jana, and I've googled girls' names some mornings while they're still in my bed! I'd like to add to J. Kealing's link about searching people. In addition to the accesskansas link he provided, there is also the Kansas KASPER (that Fito Garche doe show up on) and semi-locally, the shawneecourt.org web site, detailing activity of anyone who has been apprehended in Topeka and Shawnee County. Hopefully one of these days DG CO can get with it and build an accessible database similar to SN CO.

igby 6 years, 5 months ago

Did I understand that the 18 and 19 year old son and daughter, traveled back to NJ with him? Would this not make them suspect in the crime and flight as well?

Frank Smith 6 years, 5 months ago

Justice is hardly served by the death of this anti-Castro Cuban loser, save in most feverish imagination. This extraordinary woman dedicated her life to helping others and searching for social justice. She can never be replaced.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

Consistent with his opening post in this forum, Marion earlier had remarked:"Adolfo/Fito/Garche/Garcia-Nunez held his own trial in that cell and found himself guilty and carried out a very appropriate sentence."Let us for the moment assume this to be true.If true, would not Adolfo, in this final self-judgment, be worthy of our respect, since he then would seem to have arrived at the "respectable" consensus of these forums?And if indeed this man so painted as a monster were capable of such insight, such self-evaluation (and -condemnation), then what a shame the epiphany did not arrive until events irreversibly had unfolded.These forums are riddled with testimonials to the fact that Adolfo was out of control, behaviorally, and seriously in trouble, psychologically. And what consistently appears to have been the response? Pointed fingers, whispered warnings... condemnation.In what measure do we, in condemnation of a "loser," inadvertently condemn someone considered precious to a fate with which we then find it unbearable to live? I can assure you that those who misguidedly find comfort in condemnation in tragedies such as this will have ample opportunity to condemn in the future... at unacceptable cost.Here's a contrasting viewpoint which didn't find its way into these forums (and I will preserve the privacy of the contributor). Not long after my original posts in another forum, I received an email which offered the following insights:"Though I never knew him well, I do know a bit of his history. He and his siblings were abandoned by their mother at a young age. And he had a difficult childhood in Cuba... as I believe most natives there do. I feel this had a lot to do with his behavior with girlfriends breaking up with him... abandonment issues.... Perhaps someday people will learn that vengeance doesn't heal, it just continues a cycle of thought that is counter productive."And so, in Jana, maybe this "devil" found an angel, and maybe that's why he found it so hard to let her go... until a tragic act of passion placed her forever beyond his reach.By all accounts, Jana was a wonderful person. Maybe she was more wonderful than anyone knew. I would like to think that, having shed "the coil"-once beyond this half-light of human existence, which warrants activism and occasionally places angels in the arms of devils-that, unlike the mother who abandoned the child, Jana might have been there to catch Adolfo when he fell.