Archive for Friday, July 4, 2008

Lawrence police seek 46-year-old man suspected in KU student’s murder

Lawrence Police Officers investigate this home at 409 Michigan where the body of Jana Lynne Mackey, a 25-year-old Kansas University student, was found late Thursday night.  Lawrence police are seeking the public's help in finding the occupant of the home, Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, 46, who last was seen driving a white Ford F-150 pickup truck.

Lawrence Police Officers investigate this home at 409 Michigan where the body of Jana Lynne Mackey, a 25-year-old Kansas University student, was found late Thursday night. Lawrence police are seeking the public's help in finding the occupant of the home, Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, 46, who last was seen driving a white Ford F-150 pickup truck.

July 4, 2008, 4:46 a.m. Updated July 4, 2008, 7:43 p.m.

Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, 5'08", 150 lbs. (Date of photo: 2006)

Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, 5'08", 150 lbs. (Date of photo: 2006)

Murder of Jana Lynne Mackey

Friends and family of a Lawrence murder victim hope to keep her memory alive. On Wednesday, friends and family gathered for a celebration of life to remember Jana Mackey.

A 25-year-old Kansas University law student was found dead late Thursday night in a home at 409 Mich.

Lawrence police have issued an arrest warrant for Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, whom police suspect in the death of the student, Jana Lynne Mackey. It is believed that the two had been dating, but had broken up about two weeks ago.

The warrant lists the charge as second-degree murder.

Police Sgt. Paul Fellers said Friday afternoon that the white Ford F-150 pickup truck Garcia-Nunez was last seen driving was found in another state, but Garcia-Nunez was not with the truck.

Police are still looking for Garcia-Nunez, 46, Lawrence. He is 5 feet 8 inches and weighs about 150 pounds. He is a local artist who also goes by the name Fito Garche.

Fellers wouldn't say whether the suspect was believed to be armed or how the victim, Mackey, was killed. Fellers said more information on the murder investigation would probably be released in the next few days.

About 6 a.m. Friday, Lawrence police officers were gathering evidence at the Michigan Street home where Mackey's body was found.

According to police, about 4:30 p.m. Thursday one of Mackey's friends reported her missing. About two hours later, Mackey's vehicle was found in the parking lot of Lawrence Memorial Hospital. About 11:30 p.m. Thursday, her body was found inside Garcia-Nunez's home, which is near the hospital.

Anyone with information about Garcia-Nunez is asked to call Lawrence police at 832-7509, or leave an anonymous tip on the Crimestoppers hot line, 843-TIPS.

"At this time, we're working real hard to get it solved," Fellers said.

Garcia-Nunez has had at least one previous run-in with the law.

He spent time in prison for a September 2004 incident involving an ex-girlfriend. A Sept. 21, 2004, Journal-World article reported that prosecutors claimed in court that Garcia-Nunez and his 29-year-old ex-girlfriend had an encounter at a local nightclub. When she returned early the next morning to her home in North Lawrence, he was waiting inside for her with a knife and was under the influence of alcohol.

According to a police report, he choked her, struck her and cut her on the arm with the knife. She notified police after she was able to get away from the scene.

The woman and Garcia-Nunez had been in a two- or three-year relationship that she broke off in May 2004.

Garcia-Nunez was released on parole in August 2006.

Friday morning, Jesse Baker said he and his girlfriend arrived at their Michigan Street apartment late Thursday night to find their neighborhood full of police officers. He was surprised to see a few of them still there this morning.

"It was kind of a surprise to us," the KU junior from Topeka said of the activity directly across the street from him.

Baker said he didn't know anything about the man who lived there.

At the southwest corner of the house is a mostly glassed-in porch or sunroom.

Knowing that a woman's body was found inside the yellow cinderblock house across the street was "a little scary," Baker said.

"I don't like that at all. I'm glad she's moving in August," he said of his girlfriend.

Police continued to work inside the house Friday.

In a release from KU, Chancellor Robert Hemenway said, "On behalf of the entire university community, I want to express shock and sadness at the death of Jana Mackey. We offer our deepest condolences to her friends and family at this tragic time. KU will cooperate fully with the Lawrence Police in their investigation of Jana's death."

Mackey, a second-year law student from Hays, received her KU undergraduate degree in women's studies in fall 2007.

Counselors from KU's Counseling and Psychological Services department are being made available to those who knew Mackey.

This marks the first homicide in Lawrence since June 7, when two people died in a shooting at a house in the 1300 block of Delaware Street.

Police and prosecutors allege that Kellam D. Jones, 16, and an accomplice, Gage Hauk, 18, McLouth, had gone to 1311 Del. to commit a robbery. Gunfire erupted, killing Hauk and the occupant of the house, Roland Klundt, 20.

In a news conference following the shooting, Lawrence police said that during the robbery attempt, Klundt shot Hauk and Jones shot Klundt.

Jones is charged as a juvenile with one count of felony murder and one count of attempted aggravated robbery. A second murder charge was dropped this week.

Comments

Bubarubu 6 years, 5 months ago

"Though its unpleasant, I don't think the question of why she was there is irrelevant, it certainly won't be for the police conducting the investigation."Obviously it would be relevant to the investigation. Seeing as how the investigation is not taking place on the LJW boards, speculation and insinuation of this sort are disresepectful at best.

unknownperson 6 years, 5 months ago

Ohyasee (Anonymous) says:"Wow 25 yrs old! This too is so tragic! could we please stop giving guns and drivers license to all these young people!"guns and drivers license dont kill people

whiskeysour 6 years, 5 months ago

Though its unpleasant, I don't think the question of why she was there is irrelevant, it certainly won't be for the police conducting the investigation. Having said that, however, the article does not mention cause of death so we should not automatically assume murder. It could be her death was caused by a drug overdose and the man is being sought to clarify the circumstances leading up to it.

ggg 6 years, 5 months ago

Please everyone focus on finding the accused and alerting the police.Jana was the brightest light in the sky. A dear friend, and a blessing in our lives. She deserves nothing but the greatest respect from this community.

Mike Blur 6 years, 5 months ago

bennyoates, it's best to put the bearded moron on ignore. This discussion thread follows his own personal script: snarky, self-aggrandizing comments peppered with shallow, mock-angsty "thoughts and prayers" for the dead person's friends. It's a consistent pattern.

moxxie_mama 6 years, 5 months ago

And just what are we, her friends, supposed to be doing?What the hell are we supposed to do?

Jason Fizell 6 years, 5 months ago

Jana, you will be missed. You made the world a better place. Your hope and idealism lives strong in all of us that you blessed with your friendship and activism.

majiktami 6 years, 5 months ago

Jana was a ray of sunshine and the world is a bit darker without her.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 5 months ago

I have a "minority" last name myself and I sure hope that when people see it they don't automatically start guessing about my immigration status. Of course, my photo isn't in the paper as a "person of interest." Still....

igby 6 years, 5 months ago

Marion: She was a "NOW" lobbyist and he's a women beater from Cuba.I'm sure if the subject of violence against women was brought up in conversation, she may have set him off big time. He, I'm sure never told her about his stint in jail. These two should of never met."Egor" from the Frankenstein movie comes to mind.Some people that are let out of jail have issues and if you hit their hot button their prone to go off.

somebodynew 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey LJW - I just saw the map connected to the article. Wrong. 409 is close to LMH and neither are NORTH of I-70 (unless your map is upside down which I doubt). Perhaps you googled 409 North ????

Laura Watkins 6 years, 5 months ago

gina, did i realize people would be googling jana's name???? no. if i had thought about how obnoxious people are, i wouldn't have used her name. what else am i supposed to do? not vent about my feelings?? we are all at a total loss right now. i needed to get my feelings out, that was my way to do it. next time someone you know is murdered, please come talk to me about invasions of privacy and online blogs. that is not the first thing on your mind when you find out that someone you know was killed.

Laura Watkins 6 years, 5 months ago

please delete the above comment. it is insanely rude to do a google search for jana's name and then link to my blog because i mentioned her. what i wrote was for me and my friends to read, not for losers on here to read and feed on our pain. what i wrote was to get my feelings out, because i'm upset and frustrated. please respect my privacy. if i had wanted you to read my thoughts, i would have posted them here.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

"My girlfriend said there was a man over there who liked to do art at night," he said. "He'd hang out there and do art on his porch."---uh, ... art. yeah, right! *this guy an illegal alien? not racist, just the majority of illegals are hispanic!

Mike Blur 6 years, 5 months ago

Well Laura, you're indignant because someone invaded your privacy, yet you post lolpix of other people's grandparents? What a frickin hypocrite. If you want privacy, then don't post any blogs.

BL 6 years, 5 months ago

I worked with Jana on a congressional campaign a few years ago. She was a wonderful person...fun-loving, smart, conscientous, hard-working, exuberant...a true people person who most everyone liked and enjoyed being around. After the campaign she continued to be involved and committed to making people's lives better, particularly women's. I am heartbroken at this senseless loss. May she rest in peace and be remembered always.

KODI7 6 years, 5 months ago

MOCK......MOCK!!!ING.....ING!!!BIRD.....BIRD!!!MOCKINGBIRD!!!!!!!!!! =)WHY COULD I NEVER GET SOMETHING SO SIMPLE RIGHT?! LOL!!!JANA, U WERE SUCH A BEAUTIFUL PERSON & I'M SURE YOUR BEAUTY, INSIDE & OUT, JUST FLOURISHED OVER THE YRS SINCE WE WERE JUST BABIES IN MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL. I WILL PRAY THAT THE MAN RESPONSIBLE 4 ENDING YOUR TIME W/ THOSE WHO LOVED U WILL RECEIVE THE PUNISHMENT THAT HE DESERVES. I CAN ONLY HOPE THAT NOW U & KRISTINA ARE LAUGHING TOGETHER AS U DID IN MIDDLE SCHOOL ALTHO I'M SURE SHE IS UPSET THAT SHE HAD TO SEE U AGAIN SO SOON. I'M NOT SURE WHAT ELSE THERE IS 2 SAY EXCEPT THAT I KNOW U WERE LOVED BY SO MANY PEOPLE & WILL BE MISSED LIKE CRAZY. REST EASY, KEEP SINGING & WATCH OVER US ALL.LOVE, KODI

geekin_topekan 6 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if this guy will get the same preference as the suspect in the Crum case?You know,no arrest,toxology reports that take weeks(please)a visit from the DA to try to justify their family member's death and explain why the killer will go free due to lack of evidence.Oh wait,he's part of the brown genre,no evidence necessary.My bad.

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 5 months ago

But the majority of hispanics aren't necessarily illegal. Sorry gnome, that WAS kind of racist.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 5 months ago

lol....i just googled myself and found a letter I wrote to the LJW editor posted in an OLOC site (Older Lesbians Organing for Change) for ageism in America. I think this is ...er honorable, yet amusing. Just never know where something put in the public domain will end up.

iplaysupernintendo 6 years, 5 months ago

Jana is one of the kindest women I've ever met. She worked hard and truly stood up for things she believed in.I have always respected Jana for that. We're truly losing a great member of our community.Rest in peace, Jana. We'll miss you.

Mike Blur 6 years, 5 months ago

Nikki May 6 years, 5 months ago

TheEleventhStephanie, while I agree that it wasn't necessarily a valid point, gnome didn't say the majority of hispanics were illegal. Gnome said the majority of illegals are hispanic. (Which, I don't know if that is true).

Steve Jacob 6 years, 5 months ago

As far as we know, the only evidence is a women was murdered in his house, and he split. That alone makes him a suspect, but lets hold off on him being a murderer until at the very least gets charged. Let the courts do there thing.Very sorry for the family and friends.

doc1 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm calling it. I hope when he gets caught he fights with the police. I hope they beat the pulp out of him. Thats more justice than the justice system.

moxxie_mama 6 years, 5 months ago

Well considering that I live clear across the state, and others as well, we've been on the phone, sending emails. The man was cuban so he was not illegal. There isn't even any justification for using this as an issue. I could mention that he was such a 'christian'....but I don't think that has anything to do with it either.I hope right now that he's on a raft going back home and is being circled by big angry hungry sharks. Such an emotional rollercoaster. I'm furious and baffled and so so sorrowful and those emotions just keep coming in waves. And really I wasn't THAT close to her, but I adored her just the same. Whenever we got together it was just like we were all best friends.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

Sorry, Gnome, but I'm going to have to second 11thStephanie.

esl03 6 years, 5 months ago

I thought you would find the Myspace interesting. I thought it was strange. I always check MySpace and Facebook. Plus I google just to get a sense of the person lost. To see if I know them. I am no longer in Kansas- I travel. I am sorry for the Familys lose. Hopefully justice will be served!

Mike Blur 6 years, 5 months ago

-ihatejohntravolta (Anonymous) says:are you done? i learned my lesson and made my stuff private. what more do you want? i am devastated right now because of a horrible thing that has happened and all you've done is kick me while i'm down. i deleted everything because i realized that people here were right and i was wrong to expect privacy online. i was wrong. please leave me alone.===========================Good. From now on, do your best to contribute to humanity and not make fun of other people online. I've seen your web pages. You should take my tack--make yourself as public as possible, and in that way you keep yourself in check.

Confrontation 6 years, 5 months ago

It disgusts me that a sick pig like this was able to attack a woman with a knife and end up back on the streets. Any man who would do that to a woman is easily capable of doing it, again. Thanks to our useless justice system, this man was able to fulfill his original plan and actually kill a woman.

Mike Blur 6 years, 5 months ago

Good read esl. I'm subbed to your feed as long as I can pay attention, and you got something to say. I might go away eventually, but I'm on board for now.

kusp8 6 years, 5 months ago

Not that this board should be turned into an immigration board. But just to clarify...In regards to Cubans, the policy is one of feet wet vs. feet dry. If a Cuban can sucessfully land anywhere on the US Coast they are granted immediate political asylum and put on track to get their citizenship. Therefore, they are not illegals.Also, I'm a little bit perplexed as to why this immediately went to question the legitimacy of somebody's citizenship. Very disturbing...very disturbing.RIP Jana.

eotw33 6 years, 5 months ago

If I ever die for a reason capable of putting a story on this site, I am going to come back and haunt all you disrespectful a-holes and order all my friends and family to track you down and do the same, but in person. And that reminds me, read before you post. On EVERY story about 50% of the comments are just repetitive and about 10% have nothing to do with the story at all and about 30% of the comments make me feel like no one is actually reading the story or the facts and just posting off of the headline, so 10% of you guys are doing great!

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 5 months ago

Laura Watkins 6 years, 5 months ago

mike_blur (Mike Blur) says:Frwwwwwwwp, Laura W's (aka ihatejohntravolta) blog has disappeardededed, and her myspace has gone private.Let this be a lesson to you, sweetheart. If you wanna swing and make a mockery of other people, you have to be able to stand it when the going gets rough.I'll listen to your KJHK show next Friday. Tell Nick I said hi.-------------------------------------------------------------------------are you done? i learned my lesson and made my stuff private. what more do you want? i am devastated right now because of a horrible thing that has happened and all you've done is kick me while i'm down. i deleted everything because i realized that people here were right and i was wrong to expect privacy online. i was wrong. please leave me alone.

Mike Blur 6 years, 5 months ago

Ragingbear, it's not dependent on the judge, it's dependent on the county attorney. If I was the victims' family, I would keep pressure on the DG CO attorney, and make the case as public as possible. Post blogs, even. (Laura missed a golden opportunity to post a public, heartfelt eulogy to her friend because she had a snit fit.)I speak from experience because of a loss in my family. It's way too premature, for sure, but if Gauche (or whatever his name is) is the prime suspect, then family and friends should push the county attorney to prosecute the case to its fullest, without any plea bargain. Little known fact: Kansas is one of the few states in the union where the prosecuting attorney can deviate from the family's wishes. Most prosecutors will "plea out" to save taxpayer money. Judges are a convenient scapegoat for limited minds like ragingbore, but in reality, about 95 percent of criminal cases are guided by the prosecuting attorney.

Nikki May 6 years, 5 months ago

I am sorry to hear of this loss, and I don't honestly care what nationality this guy is. Wrong is wrong.

Ragingbear 6 years, 5 months ago

Hmm. Second degree murder. Based on what the judges have done in the past, this man is probably only going to see 6 months (time served) and 4 years probation.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 5 months ago

This is interesting to read very personal thoughts. I suppose it is because that is the way you feel you can "share" your feelings.To those who are outsiders and read about murders every day it is intriguing to see people pour out their innermost feelings on the internet.Will you personally share with the family or only say those things here?

geekin_topekan 6 years, 5 months ago

I was responding to other folks questioning his citizenship.I assume no such thing,Del888.Good job looking out though.

Hawk6643 6 years, 5 months ago

I hate to speculate on anything about this, but something seems fishy. Serveral of his myspace pictures are taken with her, and they seem to be pretty close. Also for those who have facebook, she became single about two weeks ago (shows on her status updates). I just wonder if this is a possible relationship gone bad and not just a random crime.My condolences go out to all her family and friends in this difficult time.

somebodynew 6 years, 5 months ago

Smitty - I hate to ask for fear of hijacking this column, but just what are you talking about with Olin. I know you have a vendetta against him, but is sounds like you might have legit info on some problem I haven't heard about. (And I am in the know enough to hear things). Care to enlighten???

gwjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree, spammer. Could they give out a plate number in this case?

trgeist 6 years, 5 months ago

Jana was a beautiful bright person! She always had a smile and was a friend to everyone she knew-maybe that's what got her into this sad position but I'm sure that God will reward her in Heaven for all the good in her. She will be terribly missed and this sadness will never go away. We only pray here in little old hays that our friend will get the justice that she deserves but we also know that the kind of person that she is, that she has already forgivin. We love you Jana--tamara

just_jazz 6 years, 5 months ago

This is a sad day and a terrible loss. Jana had a promising life ahead of her. She accomplished more in her short life than most of us will accomplish in our entire lives. She was and would have continued to be a tremendous advocate for women and others who are disadvantaged. She had a soft heart, perhaps too soft.She will be missed.

lovelytbird 6 years, 5 months ago

This guy works for the 23rd street brewery as a handyman!! I don't recall what they called him but I bet the cook's there would know!! I don't think that's his real name I think he stole that guy's identity!!!!

wings 6 years, 5 months ago

Jana did not deserve this. No matter who or where Fito is from/ heading for. It is hard, as a friend, to think Jana will no longer be here hosting her famous BBQs. If you know Jana you know the food is amazing and the her smile welcomes as you set up on her front porch- no matter what country you come from.

HyparuaDrachua 6 years, 5 months ago

Certainly we do not know all of the facts of this case. By reading the comments and the statements from KU, I am sure these sample topics (pasted below) would have been topics she might have been involved in as she was interested in issues facing women.Again, we do not know the facts of this tragic situation, but suffice it to say that the Law Dept is setting a great example for all of KU by caring about domestic violence and other issues facing women.http://www.endabuse.org/programs/display.php3?DocID=75http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFMZgOWdz9khttp://www.abanet.org/irr/hr/spring98/sp98runge.html

Melanie Birge 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow 25 yrs old! This too is so tragic! could we please stop giving guns and drivers license to all these young people! :0(

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 5 months ago

50YearRes...wet foot/dry foot policy. If they are here, they aren't illegal. But that isn't my point really. Point was that his name alone doesn't make him illegal.

moxxie_mama 6 years, 5 months ago

Jana was a truly great person, she was a lobbyist for Kansas NOW. NOW advocates against violence against women. Its so wrong in this world that she fought against this kind of thing only to become a victim.She has friends all over this state and beyond. And that's a lot for a 25 year old to have such an amazing record. She had the brightest future of anyone I knew.My heart just breaks today. I always looked forward to seeing Jana.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

for max1 et al:it wasn't racist to ask the question, I didn't say "I bet he's an illegal alien. it would be self-distructive of us all to not ask the question:http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53103now, that is why I did ask. *Maxxie, I am sincerely sorry for your loss, she was apparently a bright and motivated young woman with a lot of promise. it is a cruel irony that she had to strike up a relationship with a man twenty years her senior, and one with a history of abusing women, the very thing she campaigned against. personally, I have never thought domestic violence is properly punished...that goes for female on male, or male on female violence. and sadly, he wasn't rehabilitated, if indeed he did commit this. I'd just like to add, you say his immigration status isn't important, yet you wish him on a raft floating back to cuba. apparently, his immigration status is important to you. and, you're wishing the death penalty on him, I don't blame you there at all! unfortunately 2nd degree murder doesn't bring the death penalty if i recall correctly.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

Fito Garche looks at the past 2 1/2 years, a rocky time in his life, as a test of faith. The painter's then-girlfriend broke off a relationship in May 2004. He fell into depression and, in September of that year, broke into the ex-girlfriend's home and, police said, cut her with a knife and tried to choke her.http://www.lawrence.com/news/2006/oct..."Cuban artist gets fresh start: After prison stint and loss of faith, painter regains inspiration," LJW Online, October 8, 2006"Zabel said in court that the woman and Garche had been in a two- or three-year relationship that she cut off in May. Zabel asked for a high bond, saying Garche could be a danger to the victim if released from jail."http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2004/sep..."Artist charged with assault: Painter allegedly threatened ex-girlfriend with knife," LJW Online, September 21, 2004This story is going to get nothing but sadder and even more tragic the more we learn of Jana.....

jsuede 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes, the map is showing North Michigan. The address is actually S. Michigan. I googled that and the house shows up on the Street View.

been_there 6 years, 5 months ago

Her parents hearts must be breaking, I can't imagine how they must feel. I have a 24 yr old daughter at KU, think I'll go give her a big hug today.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 5 months ago

"When i look at these two pictures they look nothing alike. they look like two totally different people with all the same names." crosstownbytch1I agree. The eyes are different, the hairline is different and there is a scare on the left chin in the Kasper photo, but not there on the LJW article photo.I am wondering if this was a revenge crime more than a randmon act or crime if passion. Did both these people live at the house of the crimescene?We need more info.

spammer89 6 years, 5 months ago

Could we get a little more info you know how many white ford's there are.

loki8025 6 years, 5 months ago

46? 36? man that's a whole decade. is that pics of her in the my space? Man O Man. Tragic And we still need some more infoe on that truck. Give me a license number. I have seen almost a dozen white f-150 trucks since sunrise

agtprovocateuse 6 years, 5 months ago

for those of you pushing for your particular brand of "justice," please remember that jana was working for the defender project at ku - a clinic dedicated to pursuing post-appellate remedies for kansas inmates, even those convicted of horrendous crimes. it will honor jana's memory more to ensure that whomever is prosecuted for her death is afforded the full panoply of rights that the constitution affords a criminal defendant.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

I will note,the article says Garcia-Nunez' truck was found in another state! Hey, LJWorld, why so kryptic again. was it found in Texas, on his way to the Rio Grande?was it found in MN, on his way to Canada?was it found in LA, going to sneak aboard a freighter?etc. please tell. it might just help bring more leads on catching this guy, which is, after all, what we want! ***Boston,if he realizes that second degree murder doesn't bring the death penalty, if he even knows that's what he's charged with, going to mexico would be superfluous. however, you are correct, should read "extradite. dozens of murders from the u.s. are taking refuge in mexico because mexico doesn't extradict for death penalty trials. also, he might keep going to costa rica, which last I knew, didn't have an extradition treaty with the u.s. and, he'd already speak spanish.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

"Kline said his office had obtained the birth records of 62 babies born to women younger than 16, the state's age of sexual consent. Thirty of those possible rape cases had gone unnoticed by local prosecutors or weren't reported to authorities.""Today's press conference was yet another attempt by Kline to deny the real purpose of his inquisition --- to intimidate abortion providers and the patients they serve," said Jana Mackey, director of Kansas NOW."http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4179/is_20051019/ai_n15718555

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

of illegals are hispanic. (Which, I don't know if that is true).---it is true, by far. also, illegals are over represented in jail/prison populations, at over 20%. was simply wondering if this could have been prevented had our government had proper controls against illegals: twice americans on the road in our community in recent years have been killed by illegals, once on k40, and once in leavenworth. I meant that to say that too often crimes by illegals can be prevented if we had a decent control of our border. I had not done the ljworld archive research to find he is cuban. and yes, under "wet foot-dry foot" he is not illegal. I am praying for the family and friends of this young woman. it is very sad that she is dead so very young. and, I hope the police figure this out. I also suppose that though Fito has a record, it is possible he did nothing criminal in this case as we know so little yet. oh, as to his being paroled and released. sorry, some of my perceptions are shaped by the behavior of L.A. and S.F., who have, even in recent years, paroled, released from jail, illegals without turning them over to the feds. you're right, in kansas I don't think that would happen.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

----- Original Message ----- From: "KU Alert" ebsku@ku.eduTo: ku-alert@mail.ku.eduSent: Friday, July 04, 2008 4:55 AMSubject: KU Police Alert (Lawrence campus) -- Off-campus student deathINFORMATION FROM Lawrence Police DepartmentMedia Release-Death Investigation, July 4, 2008Police ask anyone with information about Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, also known as Fito Garche, to call Lawrence Police at 785-843-7509 or Crimestoppers Hotlineat 785-843-TIPS. He is a person of interest in the death of KU student Jana Lynne Mackey. He was last seen driving a white Ford F-150 pick-up truck.Lawrence Police are attempting to locate 46-year-old Adolfo Garcia-Nunez, of Lawrence, in connection with an investigation into the death of 25-year-oldJana Lynne Mackey, of Lawrence. Lawrence Police initiated an investigation to locate Ms. Mackey after a friend reported her missing at 4:30 p.m. on July3, 2008. At 6:30 p.m, Lawrence Police located Ms. Mackey's vehicle in the Lawrence Memorial Hospital parking lot at 4th and Michigan Street. Followingfurther investigation, Ms. Mackey was found deceased inside the suspect's residence at 409 Michigan at 11:23 p.m. The death at this time appears to besuspicious.Police are asking anyone with information regarding Adolfo Garcia-Nunez to call the Lawrence Police Department at 785-843-7509 or the Crimestoppers Hotlineat 785-843-TIPS. Mr. Garcia-Nunez was last seen driving a white Ford F-150 pick-up truck. This investigation is ongoing and no further details are availableat this time.KU Public Safety suggests extreme caution if you have contact with Garcia-Nunez.Additional information will be posted atwww.lawrencepolice.orgwhen available.

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 5 months ago

i moved to lawrence a few years ago because of the low crime rate. i'm starting to think it would be safer for me and my family to move to topeka.

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says: "this guy an illegal alien? not racist, just the majority of illegals are hispanic!"max1 (Anonymous) says: "Top 10 surnames by order of frequency in the United States:Name (Number of occurrences)#8. Garcia (858,289)"Garche (Adolfo Garcia-Nunez), 45, was born in Cuba. He came to the United States in 1994 on a raft and ended up in Lawrence in 2003 to be with his ex-girlfriend."http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/oct...

tamolly 6 years, 5 months ago

My heart goes out to Jana and those who loved her. What a beautiful person..

Gabe Hoffman 6 years, 5 months ago

Growing up here a death let alone a murder was a very rare thing. I often wonder if it's a reflection of our times or if there is a deeper rooted issue.

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 5 months ago

no disrespect, ihate, but if one wants privacy one shouldn't blog online.

del888 6 years, 5 months ago

geekin_topekan (Anonymous) says: If he were here without proper documentation he would have been deported after serving his prison time.Wouldn't he?Or would he have been given a day to appear in federal court and blown it off?What makes you think he wasn't born in the USA? Hispanic name does not equal 'illegal'

Gina Bailey-Carbaugh 6 years, 5 months ago

Ihate, people google names all the time.Diaries are for private thoughts, not blogs.Indeed, there are unethical people in this world. Otherwise the tabloids would be out of business.I am sorry that you lost your friend and that you feel violated.Peace

geekin_topekan 6 years, 5 months ago

jackpot 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey somebody new good catch I saw it north of KTA also. Maybe the reporters followed channels 41 or 5. KC TV stations can find it and LJW reporters can't map it. Oh well I guess KC tv used others to find it.

Boston_Corbett 6 years, 5 months ago

Watch out Mexican border, the cheapest defense against capital punishment.

ForThePeople 6 years, 5 months ago

This is so sad. My condolences to Jana's family and friends. Please remember there has been no word yet as to the cause of death. I believe Fito worked hard to take his life in a different direction after serving time for the last incident. We will all know the facts soon enough.

esl03 6 years, 5 months ago

There is a file in it that shows pictures of her

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

bennyoates (Anonymous) says: "OK, Sigmund, the late Jana Mackey was a feminist and a prominent one in Kansas. What is your point?"I was only trying to flesh out some details of the VICTIM of this crime. The original article had almost nothing of her. If your point is that I would have disagreed with her politics (as opposed to her feminism) and that as a result I believe her death was "deserved" or she "had it coming" you are grievously mistaken. That she appeared to be devoting her life women's issues and her law school career to protecting women from abuse but was unable to protect herself makes this tragedy all the more devastating. I didn't know Jana but I join those who have expressed their condolences to her family, friends, and classmates. Although right now I can't imagine what possible good could come from her death, it is my sincerest hope and belief that something can and will.

vega 6 years, 5 months ago

"When i look at these two pictures they look nothing alike. they look like two totally different people with all the same names." crosstownbytch1This is the same guy: look at the ears, eyebrows, nose, scar etc. Longer hair in one of the pics and a goatie in another that is all that is different. Compare:http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/2008/jul/04/151078/http://165.201.143.205/kasper2/offender.asp?id=54459I wonder if this crime could have been prevented if Garcia was treated in some medical institution after his first assault. His painting as shown in 2006 LJW looks disturbing under the circumstances:http://media.lawrence.com/img/photos/2006/10/08/Fito_Garche_painting_t700.jpg?f40c0e74b997dbb01ce524758e0d04a31382c8af

PeteJayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Why did you take Jana away from us? Why? She had so much to offer the world and she was just getting started. The world is a worse place today without her.

Wendy magillicutty 6 years, 5 months ago

a woman is dead and he is a suspect. that is all we know at this time, so why would anyone "assume" she was a)hanging out with him, b)she should have known better so c)she was "asking" to be murdered? As far as I could tell from the corrections site, he doesn't have priors for drugs OR murder so who knows what in the world is happening. Regardless, be careful when you blame the victim for any crime, you help excuse the criminal offender.

Ian Sotomayor 6 years, 5 months ago

wow and to think I have a piece of art by fito.... that is just terrible I have 3 daughters. my familys condolences to the victims family. someone is on the right track with checking his priors.

kolisach 6 years, 5 months ago

I know that it easy to get on this stupid message board and start gossiping and pretending to know more than you really know, but I ask you to please have some respect.This was an amazing, truly amazing, strong and ambitious woman who was killed. She does not need your judgement. Please have some respect.

primate 6 years, 5 months ago

History of violence toward paramour:The painter's then-girlfriend broke off a relationship in May 2004. He fell into depression and, in September of that year, broke into the ex-girlfriend's home and, police said, cut her with a knife and tried to choke her.http://www.lawrence.com/news/2006/oct...

50YearResident 6 years, 5 months ago

"Besides, he's Cuban. Therefore not illegal."There are Boatloads of Cubans that are indeed illegals.Maybe not this one however.

primate 6 years, 5 months ago

"KEITHMILES05 (Anonymous) says: I find it odd and creepy that relatives and friends of either one of these people would be blogging here this morning."I think this points to a social, generational change associated with advancement in technology. Friends of Mackey posting comments to a crime article just hours after it's made public may seem tawdry to many. And yet, they don't see this given the internet's effect on the youth's conception the significance of privacy and decency.I mean, what the hell are they supposed to do?

Tammie Bryant 6 years, 5 months ago

I was trying to put a link to his KDOC record, but it didn't work.

gaialover 6 years, 5 months ago

Jana was such an inspiration. The world will miss her.Let's keep in mind that people who were close to Jana read this too. Please have some respect. This is real life, not a mystery novel or a video game.

simplyamazed 6 years, 5 months ago

I would love to hear more about the mighty Olin myself! Lots of people just don't know how far he goes to make himself look good (goes overseas to terrorist convention,ect.). Hope he has finally got caught at his wrong doings and pants down!

Blondie 6 years, 5 months ago

I knew Jana only minimally through her work as an advocate, but found her to be an amazing young woman of tremendous talent and dedication. Despite the violence and injustice that she witnessed (through her work), she retained a sense of humor, a zest for life, and a passion for making the world a better place. To those who would criticize her friends and family for blogging here, I submit to you that they are simply trying to cope with the inconceivable, and are commenting to memorialize a truly remarkable young woman. Please respect them as they try to accept something so horribly unacceptable.

Kendall Simmons 6 years, 5 months ago

Today is the 4th of July. Does that mean anything to some of you other than fireworks? Such as "innocent, until proven guilty?" Such as "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" We live 4 doors down from the house where the young woman was found. My husband shared information with the police about something he saw there earlier that evening that may or may not be pertinent. We don't know if it's pertinent...and you folks so willing to assume guilt sure as heck don't know either.We don't know what our neighbor did or did not do. He's been nothing but pleasant to us on the very few times we talked with him. That isn't evidence of anything either...except that he's been pleasant to us on the very few times we talked with him. Today is the 4th of July. Does that mean anything to some of you other than fireworks?

Amandak 6 years, 5 months ago

Local artist. Yeah, right. How about local unemployed "bum" who likely mooched off the victim and became enraged when she realized what at piece of garbage he was. Sounds like prison did him well. Another, reformed offender released into our community. This is why all domestic abuse situtations must be taken seriously, all the time!

Jeff Zamrzla 6 years, 5 months ago

I met Jana when we worked (her paid, me a simple volunteer phone banker/envelope stuffer) for Nancy Boyda in 2004. We've been freinds since those many smoke breaks beside the 10th street HQ of Nancy's campaign. I will miss her bright smile, and twinkling eyes.

ASBESTOS 6 years, 5 months ago

And no justice will be found for Jana. This guy is gone.My bet is San Fran or Florida.He goes to Texas, well he ain't tough enough, the Mexicans run things there, not the Cubans.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 5 months ago

Hi all,Lawrence police have confirmed that Adolfo Nunez-Garcia was arrested in Elizabeth, N.J., last night. He was booked into jail where he took his own life sometime over night, police said. We have a story in the works and we're trying to track down more information. Jonathan KealingOnline editor

Brad Maestas 6 years, 5 months ago

He was apprehended in New Jersey but officers found his lifeless body in his cell this morning, apparently the result of suicide by asphyxiation.I would assume they would have had him on a suicide watch considering the nature of the crime but it looks like he found a way out. What a coward.RIP Jana Lynne Mackey