Archive for Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Celebratory gunfire possible cause of deaths

January 2, 2008

— A single bullet ripped through the wall of a house early Tuesday morning, killing an 11-year-old girl and a woman attending a New Year's party inside, investigators said.

A 25-year-old man was later arrested at his home on investigation of two counts of first-degree murder, police spokesman Sonny Jackson said.

Investigators believe the weapon was a high-powered rifle, Police Chief Gerry Whitman said. The shot was fired at about 12:20 a.m., Jackson said.

Witnesses reported hearing several shots, and a second bullet was found in a snowbank in front of the home.

The victims were at a party with about 10 other people when the bullet pierced the front wall of the house, passed through the head of the woman, who was seated, and struck the girl in the side, Jackson said.

The woman died at the scene, and the girl was pronounced dead at a hospital. Their identities were not released Tuesday night.

Police said they used lasers to trace the trajectory of the shot and to determine that one bullet killed both victims.

The house is in a neighborhood of modest single-family homes, duplexes and apartment buildings.

Comments

posessionannex 6 years, 3 months ago

excerpt:

The number of justifiable homicides in Memphis jumped from 11 in 2006 to 32 in 2007.

No one is sure why, but one man has a theory.

"The thugs have started running into people who can protect themselves," said Tom Givens, owner and instructor at the firearms training school RangeMaster, 2611 S. Mendenhall in Memphis.

spywell 6 years, 3 months ago

Denver? I wonder if this guy was a citizen of the U.S. or an illegal? They still go into the streets at midnight and shoot their guns in the air in Mexico.

americorps 6 years, 3 months ago

NATCHEZ, Miss. -- A Natchez man shot and killed his wife when he mistook her for an intruder in their home, according to police.

Police Chief Mike Mullins said Glenn and Deborah Mizell awoke around 4 a.m. Tuesday to the sound of their barking dog. Mullins said Glenn Mizell went to investigate, taking a pistol with him.

Mullins said Glenn Mizell began checking through the house and was unaware his wife had left the bedroom and gone into the kitchen. Mullins said when Mizell saw her figure in the dark, he fired his gun once.

gl0ck0wnr 6 years, 3 months ago

"scenebooster (Anonymous) says:Um, no, and I implied no such thing (as for the guns, I grew up in Kansas:). I was said to have an "irrational fear of guns", which is not true. I don't link my masculinity to my firearms."

But you do seem to link your masculinity to your ability to call people idiots and morons... Pardon one for questioning your firearm owner bonafides when you use terminology like "trigger worshipper" to describe people who do not understand your rather twisted logic. I suppose whatever makes you feel better about yourself...

I'm still unclear on how you link the NRA implicitly to this situation other than that a) you dislike the NRA and b) you dislike the situation and that c) they both have something to do with firearms.

satar 6 years, 3 months ago

Dummy's They forget what goes up must come down..

bobberboy 6 years, 3 months ago

Hey everybody - shut your traps.

scenebooster 6 years, 3 months ago

What's "comtempt" R-T?

Oh, you meant "contempt"..why yes, I do. Do I blame them for this specific incident? No.

scenebooster 6 years, 3 months ago

"So much for your stand on torture. YOU are so full of it!"

Read my post you dingbat - I said "If found guilty" (do we torture people who have already been found guilty?) - you won't find me lobbying against the death penalty. If the suspect of this crime is found guilty (let's remember that he killed an 11 yo child and an adult) - he should be killed. ASAP.

"Two guns? Oooooooo:.you are a tuffy aren't cha?"

Um, no, and I implied no such thing (as for the guns, I grew up in Kansas...). I was said to have an "irrational fear of guns", which is not true. I don't link my masculinity to my firearms.

You are a complete and total moron.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 3 months ago

Nooooo, Scenebooster doesn't appear to hold NRA in comtempt......no way.....his rhetoric almost makes him look a dues paying member.

Dollypawpaw 6 years, 3 months ago

"Read the post instead of assuming - I suggested he be drawn and quartered."

So much for your stand on torture. YOU are so full of it!

"To be hanged, drawn and quartered was the penalty once ordained in England for treason. It is considered by many to be the epitome of cruel punishment,[1] and was reserved for treason as this crime was deemed more heinous than murder and other capital offences. It was only applied to male criminals. Women found guilty of treason in England were burnt at the stake, a punishment abolished in 1790."

Two guns? Oooooooo....you are a tuffy aren't cha?

scenebooster 6 years, 3 months ago

And my favorite, the article by NRA pres Wayne LaPierre (notice the date):

4/13/2007 Today is one of the most important days of the year for gun owners. The start of the NRA Annual Meetings is both a celebration of freedom and a rally for the Second Amendment, but it's also a show of force by gun owners to the enemies of freedom everywhere. As tens of thousands of freedom-loving Americans descend on St. Louis, the anti-gunners are doing everything they can to chip away at your rights. Sarah Brady's sending e-mails to Brady Campaign supporters, hoping to start a Brady Gun Law Defense Fund. Unlike the NRA's Civil Rights Defense Fund, the Brady lawyers will be trying to hurt gun owners, not help them. They're pushing for persecution of the Second Amendment, not protection. But when we gather in St. Louis, we show them we won't be pushed around. Boston Mayor Tom Menino's calling for a ban on all semi-automatic firearms. Mr. Mayor, we've already seen what that has done for England and crime there. Why would you insist on disarming law-abiding Americans? Menino and his cohort Michael Bloomberg want to turn millions of Americans into instant criminals. But when we gather in St. Louis, we show them we won't be pushed around. Rebecca Peters of the International Action Network on Small Arms is pushing an arms trade treaty that would gut our Second Amendment freedoms. They're not interested in lobbying Congress or state legislators. Instead, they want to go global, with the help of anti-gun politicians in countries without the Second Amendment. That arms trade treaty, if ratified by Congress or signed by a future president, would mean a global war on your guns the likes of which has never been seen. But when we gather in St. Louis, we show them we won't be pushed around. In fact, when we gather in St. Louis, we're pushing back. We're pushing for Castle Doctrine laws across the country. We're pushing for legislation that ensures the gun confiscations in New Orleans will never be repeated in this country. We're pushing to protect our rights to protect ourselves, even against anti-gun employers who want to leave you defenseless to and from work. When we gather in St. Louis, we're pushing to protect and promote our freedoms, and we won't stop pushing until we've won."

scenebooster 6 years, 3 months ago

Geez, but the trigger-worshippers are thick...

"Irrational fear of firearms, much? "

I have two.

"I assume you believe in the death penalty by beheading"

Read the post instead of assuming - I suggested he be drawn and quartered.

"If you weren't implicitly blaming the NRA, why suggest that? "

Well, let's just see...

"NRA President Charlton Heston, in defending "white pride" in a speech before the Free Congress Foundation, urged the audience to "draw your sword and fight" against a variety of opponents, including "blacks who raise a militant fist with one hand while they seek preference with the other." He told his listeners, "Mainstream America is counting on you."

Current NRA Board Member Jeff Cooper, in dismissing urban gun victims-the majority of which are young black males-wrote in Guns & Ammo that "the consensus is that no more than five to ten people in a hundred who die by gunfire in Los Angeles are any loss to society. These people fight small wars amongst themselves. It would seem a valid social service to keep them well-supplied with ammunition." Cooper also refers to persons of Japanese ancestry as "Nips" and has suggested calling black South Africans from the Gauteng province "Oran-gautengs."

Current NRA Research Coordinator Paul Blackman, echoing Cooper's views, has written that "studies of homicide victims-especially the increasing number of younger ones-suggest they are frequently criminals themselves and/or drug addicts or users. It is quite possible that their deaths, in terms of economic consequences to society, are net gains."

Current NRA Board Member Ted Nugent, commenting on South Africa, has observed that "apartheid isn't that cut and dry. All men are not created equal. The preponderance of South Africa is a different breed of man. I mean that with no disrespect. I say that with great respect. I love them because I'm one of them. They are still people of the earth, but they are different. They still put bones in their noses, they still walk around naked, they wipe their butts with their hands....These are different people. You give 'em toothpaste, they f---ing eat it...I hope they don't become civilized. They're way ahead of the game." In the same interview Nugent expounded on his racial views, "I use the word n----r a lot because I hang around with a lot of n----rs, and they use the word n----r, and I tend to use words that communicate...."

con't

gl0ck0wnr 6 years, 3 months ago

"scenebooster (Anonymous) says: Who blamed them, you idiot? Can't stop polishing your piece long enough to read the damn post?"

Irrational fear of firearms, much? You implicitly blamed the NRA by suggesting the head of the shooter - I assume you believe in the death penalty by beheading - should be delivered to the NRA. If you weren't implicitly blaming the NRA, why suggest that? Why not deliver the head elsewhere? Idiot.

JJE007 6 years, 3 months ago

This is about as accidental and "celebratory" as someone getting drunk and driving their car at full speed into a fast food restaurant full of people.

Casey_Jones 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm pretty sure there was an episode of CSI with this exact story a while back.

Defender 6 years, 3 months ago

"Deliver his head to the NRA headquarters."

Sorry, but your anger is misplaced.

Tychoman 6 years, 3 months ago

Who uses a high-powered rifle for celebratory gunfire 20 minutes too late? This story doesn't make any sense.

scenebooster 6 years, 3 months ago

"Blaming the National Rifle Association for this moron's actions, is like blaming GM for a drunk driver, you leftist idiots!"

Dollypawpaw 6 years, 3 months ago

A Glazer load would have prevented this event.

12:20?

madmike 6 years, 3 months ago

scenebooster 6 years, 3 months ago

The suspect, if found guilty, should be drawn and quartered. Deliver his head to the NRA headquarters.

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

Too many idiots are allowed to have guns.