Archive for Friday, February 22, 2008

Mobile home destroyed in blaze

February 22, 2008, 11:27 a.m. Updated February 22, 2008, 1:23 p.m.

Firefighters responded at 10 a.m. today to a mobile home fire at 1908 E. 19th St., W-26.

One mobile home was destroyed, and two others were damaged. No one was injured in the blaze, according to Eve Tolefree, division chief with Lawrence-Douglas Fire Medical.

The mobile home was occupied by a couple and their adult son. Firefighters said three dogs died in the fire.

The fire was under control at 11:24 a.m. and the occupants are being assisted by the Douglas County Chapter of the American Red Cross.

Investigators are working the scene to determine a cause and estimated damages. The names of the mobile home's occupants haven't been released.

Comments

LisaM 7 years, 4 months ago

My cousin lived in the house that burned. I appreciate all the support everyone has given. My heart goes out to the owners of the other homes that recieved damage.

b_asinbeer 7 years, 4 months ago

Wow...I feel bad for the dogs and the owner of the home. Hope everything will be fine.

Should be interesting to find out the cause of this.

misseve 7 years, 4 months ago

it matters little what the cause is because mobile homes are known to be hazardous when they catch fire. I hope they have a place to go until all is sorted out

doc1 7 years, 4 months ago

A fire in a mobile home park. Was it a Meth Lab? It's very possible.

b_asinbeer 7 years, 4 months ago

Why don't you ask your insensitive question to the owner of the mobile home:

Lawrence Fire Chief Rich Barr comforts a man who lived in a mobile home at 1908 E. 19th St. that went up in flames this morning. Two dogs died in the blaze, which also damaged two other homes in Brookwood Mobile Home Park. by Richard Gwin

Leave the investigating to the proper authorities before jumping to conclusions. Idiot.

alm77 7 years, 4 months ago

doc1, or it's possible that a family fell victim to a tragic accident while they were at work. Unless you know something about those residents, maybe you should keep your speculation to yourself.

rlmtyco 7 years, 4 months ago

thats very sad and that picture sums up everything

Beth Bird 7 years, 4 months ago

I hope the families have support and a place to stay while they try to pick up the pieces.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 4 months ago

I lived in a mobile home, and all the neighbors around me were just working class or retired people trying to live cheaply with some privacy, and some sense of ownership.

Celeste Plitz 7 years, 4 months ago

I feel terrible for the people involved, and their poor dogs. Nobody deserves to lose their home like that, or their pets. Hopefully they have somewhere to go, and help along the way.

bluerose 7 years, 4 months ago

normally, i report a comment like doc1's as abuse and ask for removal, as i feel so ashamed for people like that, in our community and in the world in general. today, i will just leave it be so he can hold his own shame. people who always jump unconsciously to the negative are disgusting. particularly when they think they are humorous.

i hope that fellow has a safe and warm place to stay. and may his lost pets RIP. so sad...

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 4 months ago

"it matters little what the cause is because mobile homes are known to be hazardous when they catch fire."

Houses are known to be hazardous when they catch fire as well. Also, apartment complexes, automobiles, forests, clothing, hair, skyscrapers, boats....

andilynn 7 years, 4 months ago

I know the people who lived next door. They lost the entire west side of their home. I feel bad for the people who lost their home and their pets. I know that my friends have people to help as they had family come down from KC with tools and things to help fix their home. my thoughts and prayers are with the family that lost theirs. And doc1 there wasn't a meth lab in that trailor or else my friends would have reported it.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 4 months ago

Doc1 is most likely Law Enforcement. A perfect example of our public servants lousy attitudes and further more of their profiling agendas.

A stereotypical statement like that is no different than Doc1's post.

Jack Hope III 7 years, 4 months ago

In this weather, my first suspicion would be a space heater, rather than a meth lab. Hopefully they had insurance.

Way to be an arse, doc1. Try to keep your laughter to a minimum as you fall asleep in your warm bed surrounded by all of your unburned possessions.

Jessi 7 years, 4 months ago

Andilynn...my cousin lived next door to them and part of their home was damaged- I wonder if they are the same people (Brian?) ...he has a young son and I am so grateful they were not hurt.

My thoughts are with all of them and I am sure everyone involved is thankful for the kind messages on here and hopefully they ignore comments made from those like Doc1.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 4 months ago

Assinine posts such as docs are becoming way too predictable and commonplace in this forum.A tragic waste of bytes that could be utilized for more correct and profound users comments such as,well,mine. BTW,what ever happened to Remirez?Havent heard from him in many moons.

misseve 7 years, 4 months ago

Houses are known to be hazardous when they catch fire as well. Also, apartment complexes, automobiles, forests, clothing, hair, skyscrapers, boats:

All true as well, however in a typical home your walls wont melt. Did you NOT see the pictures? I guess i should have been more clear. Once again it matters little at this point. They lost their home and others were damaged. Its all tragic.

Confrontation 7 years, 4 months ago

That picture is tough to look at. I can't imagine losing everything so quickly. I wish the paper would list a way to donate directly to this family. I'd prefer to do that, rather than giving it to a charity that might skim some off the top.

mwwag 7 years, 4 months ago

I am so sorry for the families who have suffered greatly today. No one should ever have to know what it is like to live through losing their homes, memories, dreams to a fire. People who make rude comments like Doc1 obviously has never had anyone they know experience this kind of situation. I have lived through it twice myself and know a number of folks who have also had this happened and three of the times it was a mobile home and none was do to a meth lab.

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 4 months ago

"however in a typical home your walls wont melt"

No. They will catch on fire. Gosh. I was just having a little fun with your sentence structure. Lighten up.

And way to take the high road on this one, smitty. Idiot.

manager 7 years, 4 months ago

I agree w/ Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho. Smitty your comment was very rude and unnecessary. From what I know, Law Enforcement helps people...where were/are you when people are needing help? Are you there putting your life on the line? Maybe you should think before you post a comment like that.

My heart goes out to all those who were affected by this tragedy. I hope they get all the help they need.

Busdriver 7 years, 4 months ago

misseve, Any house can melt if it has vinyl siding. That is what melted on the trailer next door. I too know the owner of the one next door that was damaged. He must be popular! LOL

Busdriver 7 years, 4 months ago

I too want to send my condolenses for the loss of their home and pets. If anyone finds out a place to donate items or money to help these people please let me know I would love to help them out.

misseve 7 years, 4 months ago

Genius, on little sleep i find it much harder to "catch" the humor in the posts. Just FYI unlike most posters i dont get my undies in a bunch... Also, thanks for pointing out that my writing sucks :)

I think the pictures can express more than anything we all say. Its also unfortunate that this is NOT the only fire tragedy today. In MO a 9 yr old girl died when the mobile home she lived in was destroyed at 5am.

Loretta James 7 years, 4 months ago

My neice lived in there home that burnt if anyone would like to help contact me at Bambam73222@yahoo.com

and no it wasnt a dope house doc just a hard working woman with disabled husband.and their son

KcSlumper 7 years, 4 months ago

So sorry to see this happen, I lived there up unitl 2001, called it home for many years................