Archive for Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Jaws-of-life’ free boy, 4, from washing machine

February 6, 2008

— Talk about an oversized load: A 4-year-old boy got stuck when he climbed into his family's top-loading washing machine, and firefighters had to use a metal cutter to slice into the appliance to get him out.

Donovan Hasseman, who wasn't hurt, was wedged up against the agitator with a knee folded against his chest, while the machine was empty and not running Sunday night, Dover Fire Capt. Mike Mossor said.

Firefighters responding to a 911 call from the boy's mother tried to help him wriggle out, but he couldn't move, Mossor said. The owner of an appliance store was then called in for advice on how to take the washer apart.

The fire department wound up using its hydraulic "jaws-of-life" tool normally used to remove crash victims from wrecked vehicles to cut through the machine's walls and plastic tub.

The child cried and screamed at times while stuck but was calm once he was freed, Mossor said.

Comments

workinghard 6 years, 2 months ago

I bet it had something to do with a game of hide and seek. I did some pretty stupid dangerous things as a kid during that game, but I do have to admit they usually couldn't find me.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 2 months ago

When he's 50 years old at a family gathering they will still be teasing him about this one. It will be worse than the nude baby picture. My daughter and a friend of hers had babies within a day of each other. They both were juandiced(sp) and had to get the light treatment, so they put them in together nekeed as a jaybird. Fortunately for them the picture was lost in a fire. Now that their 18, we can't pull the picture out to show their boyfriend and girlfriend. Bummer.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 2 months ago

kids what can you do with them, this little guy is never going to live this down.

madmike 6 years, 2 months ago

I smell a butt spanking coming!

coolmom 6 years, 2 months ago

wow, i dont live there but i am sure this is one of my kids...i am glad he is okay he has a twin here!

Celeste 6 years, 2 months ago

Very lucky boy that the machine wasn't running...I'm so glad he's ok. :)

Pywacket 6 years, 2 months ago

What did they expect when they named the kid Donovan? Sheesh.