Archive for Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sunflower Broadband drops two KC channels after stalled negotiations

December 31, 2008

Absent a late-night deal, effective Jan. 1, Sunflower Broadband cable subscribers are no longer receiving Kansas City’s Hearst-Argyle Television Inc. stations KMBC-ABC and KCWE-CW.

During ongoing negotiations, representatives of Hearst-Argyle told Sunflower Broadband on Wednesday they would not authorize the cable operation to retransmit the KMBC and KCWE signals to subscribers after midnight Jan 1., said Patrick Knorr, chief operating officer for Sunflower Broadband and The World Company, which owns the Journal-World.

“We’ve enjoyed a good relationship with KMBC,” Knorr said. “We are disappointed KMBC is choosing to deprive our customers of continuing to receive KMBC as well as depriving their advertisers of reaching those customers. Sunflower will continue to work around the clock with Hearst-Argyle to restore KMBC and KCWE under terms that are fair to our customers.”

He also said he was disappointed KMBC did not give Sunflower Broadband more time to notify customers of the change. Negotiations were still ongoing as late as Wednesday night.

KMBC was broadcast on channel 9, and 200 in high-definition television, on Sunflower Broadband’s lineup, and KCWE was channel 17 and 206 in HDTV.

The cable operator serves Lawrence and surrounding communities.

Sunflower Broadband has reached agreements with all other Kansas City and Topeka stations that allow the cable company to carry their signals into 2009, Knorr said.

Subscribers can also get more information about the change on the company’s Web site, sunflowerbroadband.com.

Comments

Nikki May 5 years, 11 months ago

So, no CW? I actually watch some shows on there.

aha 5 years, 11 months ago

No Smallville? No OTH??? Those are the only shows I watch on CW. :(

Halfjagged 5 years, 11 months ago

So now Grey's, CSI, and Oprah won't be in HD!

BigPrune 5 years, 11 months ago

Does this mean they'll pass the savings onto us? We're going to get a discount now?

oohmgrover 5 years, 11 months ago

WHAT - this is ridiculous. This company has a monopoly on our news and our cable, internet, and phone, and now they are cutting me off from Supernatural and America's Next Top Model? I thought the bandwidth capping was ridiculous, but you come between me and Tyra, you've gone too far.

oohmgrover 5 years, 11 months ago

"Q: What can I do as a Sunflower Customer?A: Send KMBC and KCWE an e-mail letting them know that you think they are holding Sunflower customers hostage and you will not support their station as a viewer beginning January 1, 2009"Hostage, eh? I feel like the hostage - why not stop donating the money to people with low income to give them free wireless and put that towards giving their paying customers freaking basic cable channels that we would still be able to watch with an antenna.And I'm stunned that they suggest writing to CONGRESS about this. I'm much more inclined to send Sunflower my angry email first thing tomorrow.

Jake Esau 5 years, 11 months ago

A few things to consider:Hearst-Argyle makes money from the advertising that is on those channels. Sunflower does not (at least I don't think they do, someone correct me if I'm wrong). Sunflower can place adds on purely cable channels, but not on network broadcast channels.The channels are free over the airwaves, but Sunflower is charged to be able to carry it on their cable lines.*This is happening all over the country, WTWO in Terre Haute, IN got pulled off the Time Warner lineup for almost a month earlier this fall.Don't jump to blaming one side or the other for this thing, both sides will try to make it seem like they're the good guy doing what is best for the customer.

triplegoddess13 5 years, 11 months ago

What's best for the customer is that I get my shows back!! And the new ones start soon too! Anyone know how I can hook into the CW and get my fix?

pinecreek 5 years, 11 months ago

So why is it that we cannot have 2 (or more) companies carry cable signals over the same infrastructure? A little competition is sorely needed in Douglas County for this business. Perhaps if there was some 'competition', broadcasters would be more amenable to making deals and things like this would not happen. Perhaps our 'pro-business' city commission should take a second look at that agreement.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 11 months ago

I have not watched CW since the last new episode of "Reaper" in May, so I hope it's back on before season two starting March 17th.

fiercesomeus 5 years, 11 months ago

These cable companies expect the TV affiliates to just let them broadcast there programs for damn near free, most of the time, the cable co. are only having to pay under 2 cents a month per customer to the affilliates and cry when the affilliates want more money (like 3 cents per customer)

fiercesomeus 5 years, 11 months ago

Pogo sorry I did not read your post before I submitted mine, what you are saying is correct.

willie_wildcat 5 years, 11 months ago

This is complete bull! I am hoping that they will get the CW network from Topeka. I am like several of you that watch several of the shows such as Supernatural and Smallville. oohmgrover....For me it is come between me and Supernatural and it's on! triplegoddess... I am thinking the same thing! In two weeks several shows will pick back up new episodes. Why is it that there is no other competition in this county? I do feel like hostage everytime I open up my bill!

pinecreek 5 years, 11 months ago

firecesomeus--thanks for the idea, but why should I have to go to satellite (and some of its drawbacks) when we have paid-for infrastructure already in place? Put the franchise up for bid every 5 years, break it up, or push through more than 1 operator and let the market (and customers) determine the outcome.

tls 5 years, 11 months ago

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

DoCosucks after feb 2009 rabbit ears will be pointless. You must not have cable or you would know this. Its due to DTV. Thats all that I use is rabbit ears and it works fine for me but in december the CW changed to digital early so I cant get that channel. If you get the govt coupons for digital tv box (just google it) for $40.00 the go to www.tiger-direct.com you can use the coupon to get a DTV box for $40.01 with out universal controller and $49.00 with controller. Screw sunflower they are way too expensive and im tired of my cable going out all the time. I have been using rabbit ears since last spring. With the new boxes for DTV its as clear as cable. very nice picture. and it may have cost you with coupon $5-15. The coupons are 2 per household.

deskboy04 5 years, 11 months ago

Some of us are held captive by Time Warner. It's the same deal. There ought to be a law that customers can have ala carte pricing and pay for the channels that they want.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 11 months ago

I have heard a lot more bad things about Time Warner then Sunflower.

beckyk66046 5 years, 11 months ago

deskboy - i agree with you ala cart pricing would be GREAT. I only watch half the channels and the other half that I am paying for I don't watch.

Amy Bartle 5 years, 11 months ago

You can watch the CW shows on your computer. Go to www.cw.com. Click Video, and choose your show. I hope these cable channels die. It's not fair to charge more. It's already way too expensive.

average 5 years, 11 months ago

willie_wildcat, there is no more Topeka CW. KSNT was carrying CW programming as their .2 digital subchannel, but are now broadcasting Topeka FOX on 27.2 since the same group bought the low-power FOX transmitter there.With Sunflower's "bronze cable" at over $750 a year (after taxes and fees), and the economy what it is, if cable companies and providers start wars, expect to see more antennas on poles with digital TVs/converters. That's what I use.

somebodynew 5 years, 11 months ago

Just to throw some perspective out here, if you read the CJonline today, KTKA just pulled out of Dish, because Dish wouldn't pay their fees. It is going on all over. I have Dish, but didn't get KTKA anyway, I get the KC stations.

PebblesFlintstone 5 years, 11 months ago

I've been curious - those of you who have upgraded to the digital boxes already and live in Lawrence...what channels do you receive?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

I get Sunflowers extended basic and I have always been very happy with it. The people who work there have been polite and attentive and kind to an older women who is just getting into things like cable. I watch sci-fi, I am totally hooked on that channel, and sports and news. I love MSNBC and pretty much depend on them. I anticipate someone telling me why everything they report is false on some level.I am just saying that one person in Lawrence woke up this morning with a happy, positive attitude.

skinny 5 years, 11 months ago

I wish Sunflower would carry WIBW HD instead of just the analog channel on 13.SkinnyLawrence, KS

somebodynew 5 years, 11 months ago

Wow - Good Morning to you Cleopatra !!! Always good to hear from a happy person on here.

SMe 5 years, 11 months ago

"Buggie7 (Anonymous) says…DoCosucks after feb 2009 rabbit ears will be pointless"Nope, no, nix, nine, nary or in other words you are incorrect, wrong, misled or just don't know about DTV!Rabbit ears will work just fine with DTV signals - it's the older analog tuners that won't work! My HiDef is currently on rabbit ears and I enjoy the KC HD, Digital and analog signals (and some Topeka) for FREE! Yes, that's free as in zero, none, nary a cent cost and - this is really gonna mess you up - I don't have the compression artifacts that are so common on DishNetwork's programming because my over-the-air signals aren't as compressed.

triplegoddess13 5 years, 11 months ago

So sunflower97-what happens when I short out my computer and can't get to my interweb anymore because of all the drool on it? I do so like my Supernatural boys. (sigh)

jafs 5 years, 11 months ago

I also have been quite satisfied with Sunflower over the years.We have the basic coverage - and by the way, Sunflower will continue to provide analog service to us even after the changeover, so we don't have to worry about digital boxes.The networks make a fortune off of advertising, and the airwaves are supposed to be free - what's up with that?

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

Cleopatra (Leslie Swearingen) says… "I get Sunflowers extended basic and I have always been very happy with it."You ought to be you pay $650/year for it! Sunflower is better than some, but worse than most. The only people I know who are happy with their service live in Johnson County where multiple cable companies (Everest, Time Warner, Uverse, Comcast) compete with one another in several area. The Lawrence City Commission long ago gave the World Company an exclusive franchise so we are pretty much screwed and Patrick Knorr and Dolph Jr. damn well know it. So sit down and shut up you whiners.

lelly 5 years, 11 months ago

We have an antenna on the roof (pointed ENE) and get more digital channels than we could ever watch. four pbs channels! None of our hard-earned dollars will ever go to the World Co.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

jafs (Anonymous) says… "We have the basic coverage - and by the way, Sunflower will continue to provide analog service to us even after the changeover, so we don't have to worry about digital boxes."Well not exactly you have half the channels you had before. Tell me about how A&E (for instance) in analog, is working for you?http://www2.ljworld.com/chats/2008/may/30/patrick_knorr/

deskboy04 5 years, 11 months ago

I wish that I could watch the NFL Network...but the rich people in New York haven't been able to agree what to show us hillbillies that have Time Warner.

Staci Dark Simpson 5 years, 11 months ago

We are happy with our DTV. Great prices and we only lost signal once, the other night when the big storm rolled thru. We lost it for less than 5 minutes. I don't think any company should be able to monopolize. This is free enterprise and some competition for Sunflower would be good.

usesomesense 5 years, 11 months ago

What really needs to happen (and probably is in the works somewhere) is Internet based cable. Ultimately, the cable companies will be data only. The 'Internet' cable company will provide services based on a base amount plus whatever you use. We as consumers will bear all (or at least most) of the equipment responsibility - our home computers will receive, play and record the digital streams as they come down.This type of technology will initially increase competition - it broadens the carrier options to various wireless internet services, DSL and cable, but may ultimately create pretty much a monopoly (at the National or perhaps even Global level).

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 11 months ago

"The Journal-World’s attempts to reach Hearst-Argyle and KMBC officials for comment on Wednesday night were unsuccessful."How handy.

oohmgrover 5 years, 11 months ago

Glad to see some Supernatural fans on here. And yes, I realize that there are other ways to watch the shows we will be missing, some of which are much less kosher, but if I am paying over fifty bucks a month to watch some freaking television, then I damn well expect them to include basic cable in that package so that I can watch my shows live.

NitroGoose 5 years, 11 months ago

PebblesFlintstone (Anonymous) says… I've been curious - those of you who have upgraded to the digital boxes already and live in Lawrence…what channels do you receive?Pebbles... I've had DTV for about 4 months now, and I get the following channels: 4.1 (WDAF); 5.1 (KCTV); 9.3 (KMBC); 11.1, 11.2, 11.3 (all KTWU); 13.1 & 13.2 (WIBW); 16.1, 16.2, 16.3, 16.4, 16.5 (all KTAJ); 19.1, 19.2, 19.2, 19.4 (all KCPT); 29.1 (KCWE); 38.1 (KMCI); 41.1, 41.2 (KSHB); 50.1. 50.3 (ION); 50.2 (qubo); 50.4 (Wors); & 62.1 (KSMO). 26 channels in all. Cost of two converter boxes AND the antenna was less than the price of 1 month of cable.

lucky7brand 5 years, 11 months ago

lucky7brand 5 years, 11 months ago

Informed here's some more "inform"ation for you. If you don't like it don't read it.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

Informed (Anonymous) says… "Yes, spacy, this is free enterprise. From what I understand, any other cable company is free to come in and do what Sunflower has done."Not to bicker but the World Company was originally granted an exclusive franchise in Lawrence from the Friends Of Dolph on the City Commission (it has always been so). That exclusive franchise protected them initially from competition and gave the World Company a huge advantage building their network. Now anyone who wants to comes in is at a significant disadvantage. Now how exactly is that level playing field free enterprise model looking now?One remedy for subscribers would be to encourage competition would be to force Sunflower Broadband to lease access to their equipment for a reasonable fee meant to cover ROI and maintenance (but not programming) much like ATT was forced to do. That would allow competitors to offer alternatives while they are rolling out their own infrastructure. By the way what is the costs of long distance once that national monopoly was broken up?

janeyb 5 years, 11 months ago

Dish Nework is dropping KTKA in Topeka because they couldn't reach a financial agreement. Who cares about KTKA, but this is how it starts. It's going to happen if you have a dish also.

notajayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Waaaaah.Get a digital TV - we've had one for five years, it's not as if this changeover to DTV was a big surprise to anyone. Then get some rabbit ears, and if those don't work put an antenna on your roof. You will still be able to get all these channels, as some have already mentioned FOR FREE.A couple of people have asked why they shouldn't have their Sunflower bill lowered now that these two channels are gone. So, are you willing to have your bill increased to cover what these two channels are asking for?The comments posted above demonstrate exactly why the price has gone up from these stations: it's called "demand." They have a product that people seem to want and for some strange reason don't think they should give it away. They have every right to ask for more money for a popular product - that's the way every product or service you buy is priced. If Sunflower was smart, they would have paid the higher rate and passed the increase on to all of you who are demanding these channels - then you can all decide if you want 'Supernatural' that badly.

JoRight 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh well. The only thing Sunflower has going for them is their customer service. Their back end is atrocious & what runs the network is awful.Once att's uverse hits town maybe then sunflower will open their eyes & actually not charge for small amounts of bandwidth, upgrade their rental equipment & even an overhaul of their network infrastructure. I for one will welcome our corporate overlords at att & will be switching to their U-verse service.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

Informed (Anonymous) says… "In other words, Sigmund, the World Company came in and aligned their business so that they would make money."If by "aligned their business so that they would make money" you mean signed an exclusive franchise agreement with Dolph's friends on the City Commission creating a monopoly for Lawrence Cable TV and locking out any price competition while the built their network and allowing them to charge Lawrence Citizens higher prices than if there was competition, I agree. But then again that isn't exactly what I have in mind when I think of level playing field free market capitalism.Informed (Anonymous) says… "while I agree with you that the prices we pay for cable here in Lawrence are high, they are NOT higher than comparable service in other cities. I have friends who have Comcast, Time Warner, and Everest. Every single one of them pays more per month than I do, with the same basic level of service"Where only one of the above providers has an exclusive the prices are comparable (with the exclusion of Sunflower download limits). In areas where two or more offer service the prices are half of what we pay in Lawrence or others in Kansas City! The point is competition will drive prices down, significantly. I too will welcome Uverse when they hit town. At least I will have a choice to ditch Sunflower Cable if they don't get competitive.

lucky7brand 5 years, 11 months ago

UN"informed" me sorry grapes yes. why do i care even though i don't live in lawrence anymore? because they..sunflower stuck me with a $700 bill when i moved. more than half of that was for "overages" on their undisclosed overage rates for the internet. also i have compared and used other cable companies for the internet and it is a flat rate for the internet..no undisclosed overage of useage rates. Multidisciplinary... uploads is any bandwidth that is used to send info from your computer like posting a comment. download is anything coming into your computer. not a computer expert but that is the way sunflower explained it to me when i called with my sore grapes and complained.

del888 5 years, 11 months ago

Check out dish network. It's cheaper anyway, and has been all digital for years:http://www.hd-digital-tv.com/

Fred Whitehead Jr. 5 years, 11 months ago

Turn off your television machines and turn on your brains. You will be happier and live longer. Most TV today is garbage.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

lucky7brand (Anonymous) says…i have skimmed through most of the comments. Not one person who is a sunflower cable customer has complained about or questioned whether or not the cable rate/charge will be decreased due to loosing 2 channels. I don't live in lawrence now, but when i did, the prices were outrageous. they decieve people about internet. they tell you that you are paying for the package for the speed but they don't tell you that they charge for overages on uploads and downloads. so if you watch your channels on the internet through sunflower watch out for the internet charges. unless they changed it. I filed a complaint with the fcc on them.-----------------------------------------------------------Ho, ho, ho, they told me upfront when I had my cable installed that they would be negotiating with someone about being able to receive certain channels. Also, and I know who is going to have a major tizzy fit, since I do get both food stamps and a medical card, I can get my Internet free though Sunflower with the rental of the modem which is five dollars a month. I was also told how much bandwidth I had available and that I could purchase 15 gigs more a month for ten dollars which I have done. They also send out regular newsletters to keep subscribers up to date.So, I say, great work, Sunflower!

oohmgrover 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, as long as Sunflower's non-paying customers are happy, screw the dissenting opinions of the paying ones.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

"Sunflower Broadband management said the company would simulcast the ABC Topeka affiliate KTKA, also owned by The World Company, on channels 9 and 200, so customers can still see ABC programming on those channels."A more informative article would have mentioned that this impasse between the KC ABC affiliate effectively increases KTKA's "also owned by The World Company" viewers by eliminating competition from the KC ABC affiliate and doubling the Sunflower Cablevision bandwidth to KTKA thus increasing ad rates to The World Company. A pretty sweet deal for Dolph. Yet another example of the unbiased, even handed, fully accurate award winning article by the LJW, except whoever wrote it didn't even want their name attached to it.

skinny 5 years, 11 months ago

I watched channel 17 more than any other channel so if they don't get it back I will be canceling Sunflower cable and putting up an antenna outside and getting it for free!!

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

And for the record I am paying Sunflower Cable subscriber, have an excellent payment record, and think the customer service is seriously outstanding (I am sure they aren't paid enough) as long as they given accurate information by management. For instance many of the customer representatives were told that the Federal Government digital conversion applied to cable providers and every cable subscriber needed to lease a $5/month ($60/year) digital box for every TV or lose half of their programming! Once that misinformation was corrected, it was business decision by Knorr to increase rates and encourage more converter box leasing, I have had no problems.Also for the record I would never get Sunflower Broadband because of the bandwidth limits. A friend I know that works for Southwestern Bell tells me their market share is higher in Lawrence than in surrounding area and on every new install he asks why they chose DSL over cable. Almost invariably he is told the extra bandwidth charges.

igby 5 years, 11 months ago

...and duh "Dish runs away with the Spoon"; again!

deskboy04 5 years, 11 months ago

I think that I am going to switch to a dish.

Chris Golledge 5 years, 11 months ago

The broadcast stations are just that, broadcast. They make money by selling ad time and how much money they get money is dependent on how many potential customers the ad time buyers think will be reached. Allowing the cable network to rebroadcast increases the number of customers. It seems like foolishness for the broadcast companies to cut off any portion of the people that can be reached. Sure, it is also a gain for the cable network, but any agreement is a win for both; so why cut it off?I, for one, have no problem with having people who use more bandwidth than me pay more than me.My two cents.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

cg22165 (Anonymous) says… "They make money by selling ad time and how much money they get money is dependent on how many potential customers the ad time buyers think will be reached."By that theory the LJW paper should be free because it has ads in it. In reality all broadcast stations are also entitled to a fee for rebroadcasts as well as ad revenue. While Patrick Knorr would like you to believe he is protecting customers from higher fees, that isn't the case. Patrick has history of raising rates, reducing programming, and blaming others.http://www2.ljworld.com/chats/2008/may/30/patrick_knorr/Patrick Knorr works for the World Company that also owns ABC Topeka affiliate KTKA which competes with KC affiliate KMBC. In negotiations on behalf of Sunflower Cable Patrick Knorr low balls them and they refuse. Sunflower Cablevision now pays no fees to KMBC, KTKA get lots more viewers, less competition, double the bandwidth on Sunflower Broadband and can now increase their ad rates. Sunflower Cablevision pays less (win) and KTKA can charge more (win) and customers get less programing (lose).As always Patrick is counting on customers not connecting the dots and blaming someone else. If history is any guide you will.

Larry Miller 5 years, 11 months ago

I've had internet through Sunflower since I could get it. I've always known the limits on transfer. They provide a website that tells you how much you've used. If you are surprised by the charges it is your fault. I've had excellent customer support.I transfer more data than I could get to go through DSL so there is no reason to change.Also, Uverse has major disadvantages compared to cable tv. I'm not sure about the internet part, the specs keep changing. When Sunflower moves to DOCSIS 3 they will be able to compete with whatever Uverse does anyway.

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

SMe-No I am not wrong. I was talking about analog TVs. I have one with a digital tuner as well but the other 3 in my house are analog. YOU HAVE TO GET THE BOX! Geesh. I gave the information for the govt coupon and the website to order the boxes above. Of course you can see it now because it doesnt take effect until Feb 09. The CW is already gone and they had a message across this screen that would show up on the analog tvs saying that if you can read this you will need a digital box and gave the same site I listed below. This message did not show up if you had already had a tv with digital tuning. Yea you will be able to get it with digital tuning cause the box components are already built into your tv if it is HD digital etc. However if you get the box the picture will be 1000 times clearer. almost as if you had cable or satellite. I understand you were just misinformed thats ok/

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

cg22165 (Anonymous) says… "I, for one, have no problem with having people who use more bandwidth than me pay more than me."Neither do I. I wouldn't mind paying more. I dislike that I have to keep track all the time or face a huge bill.LarryM (Anonymous) says…"I transfer more data than I could get to go through DSL so there is no reason to change."Then your not trying very hard, my downloads (VPN for work, TV shows, movies, OS's, patches) many months exceeds their limitations for the top tier. True other months not so much, but I hate the potential surprises.LarryM (Anonymous) says… "Also, Uverse has major disadvantages compared to cable tv."Really, what are those? The guys at work absolutely love Uverse, no complaints at all (phone, net, TV). DOCSIS 3 will be nice and I am sure rates will dramatically increase as everyone will need new equipment. I can hardly wait to find out who Patrick Knorr will blame for that.

SMe 5 years, 11 months ago

You know Buggie7 when you post something people are able to copy/paste it into their responses. This is the second time I quote your response to DoCosucks! exactly as it appears on the blog.START OF PASTEBuggie7 (Anonymous) says…DoCosucks after feb 2009 rabbit ears will be pointless. You must not have cable or you would know this. Its due to DTV. Thats all that I use is rabbit ears and it works fine for me but in december the CW changed to digital early so I cant get that channel."END OF PASTEDo you not see where you explicitly said "rabbit ears will be pointless?" Then you state, " Its due to DTV" and close with, "in december the CW changed to digital early so I cant get that channel" placing the blame on not receiving the CW on "rabbit ears" and/or DTV!Sir or Mam, I am not misinformed. Rabbit ears will work perfectly with an HD TV or with an analog set using the converter box. At no time will, "rabbit ears (will) be pointless." Direct quote from you again.You, sir or mam, made an incorrect statement. At least accept responsibility for your inaccuracy and admit it. I've quoted it twice.'S'Me

Jenni Allen 5 years, 11 months ago

i am so sick and tired of sunflower broadband, firtst thhey raise the prices and then they change all the programs around,then they drop the channels that were favorites but to drop channel 9. That's it for me. I have had enough of their bull. I am going down there and turning in my stupid boxes in the morning. I was a bronze and went to the family pack which they said was cheaper it is not, not with all the extra stuff i didn't ask for that they add on to my bill. Also the reception with the boxes is not good most of the time, and i don't get refunded for that i get charged anyway, enough!!!

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

Rabbit ears are pointless on a regular basis I have them now on a hdtv and its got terrible reception, Brand new tv. The tvs do work well now but wait till after Feb then send me a pointless msg. I have sent the info and you can go to www.tiger-direct.com put in the search Digital TV boxes and it will take you to the govt link. I have no inaccuracies. Sorry to dissappoint you. Anyone can choose to look up this site and they have a choice on there that states "Dont have the coupon? Click here" and it will take you to the govt site set up to send you the coupons. AGAIN of course it works perfectly its not feb yet and thats when the cut off on all channels for ANALOG tvs will not receive reception due to the change over.

penguin 5 years, 11 months ago

I have been with Sunflower Broadband from the beginning and have never had major problems. Their customer service is great and so is the actual product. The download limits irk me, but I have never had big issues with it. Trust me there are worse/ more expensive broadband providers in the state. The few years I was not a sunflower subscriber I was in Hays. My cable/internet bill was pretty much the same, but there was a major difference. I had less channels, crappy customer service, and the internet was never as fast as advertised. Also as for losing the CW, I would have not even noticed had this article not appeared. I had to look up what is on that channel and quickly discovered what is on the channel. Being that I am not a 12-14 year old these are programs that really do not appeal to me. So I am not sad to see it go.Also the reason you cannot go A La Carte on your cable channels is that the Networks/Conglomerates dictate how they sell these to cable providers. If you need examples just look at the issues involved in the Viacom v. Time Warner fight that was just resolved. Cable Networks/Conglomerates provide the channels to cable providers at a bulk rate. If they split them out, costs would probably just increase from the production companies to account for less subscriptions to less popular "channels".

claireredfield 5 years, 11 months ago

Where are the comments from the two stations? Where is their side of the story? That seems to be missing. Oh, that's right - the story is completely BIASED against them (cuz the paper, this website, and Sunflower are all bascially the same company). Will they even allow this comment through? Let's see.

notajayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

LA_Ex 5 years, 11 months ago

Sunflower sucks!!!!! Absolute worst. Who needs them when there is Lawrence Freenet, Dish TV, and cell phones. Dump Sunflower, save money, and deal with professionals who understand what customer service really is.

mickey1454 5 years, 11 months ago

The Topeka ABC affiliate (channel 12/49, etc). is OWNED by Sunflower/World Co. Why would the World Co even WANT the KC ABC affiliate, (channel 9/200) on their cable, let alone PAY for it?? Duh?

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

mickey1454 (Anonymous) says… "Why would the World Co even WANT the KC ABC affiliate, (channel 9/200) on their cable, let alone PAY for it?? Duh?"Obviously they don't, but their customers want it and the other Hearst station KCWE. But your point is well taken, Patrick Knorr is once again saying to hell with Cablevision customers. Higher costs, fewer choice, we got em by the balls, lets squeeze!

sinkorswim 5 years, 11 months ago

So, while being forced to watch the Topeka ABC channel (KTKA) on channel 9, I get to see a story about Dish network no longer being able to transmit KTKA, since The World Company can't come to an agreement with Dish. So, The World Company is playing this game on both sides? Very interesting. Just bring back KMBC!

BigPrune 5 years, 11 months ago

If you've never hooked up your converter box, you'll still get channel 9, at least I did when I tried earlier. I'll try it again a little later to be sure. I never could figure out how to hook up the box and use the remote, so I never hooked it up.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

sinkorswim (Anonymous) says… "So, while being forced to watch the Topeka ABC channel (KTKA) on channel 9, I get to see a story about Dish network no longer being able to transmit KTKA, since The World Company can't come to an agreement with Dish."Ain't life grand! The amount of money the World Company makes on Cablevison and Broadband allowed them to buy up KTKA and the the abandoned analog frequency."The World Company, a Lawrence-based media company that provides telephone, Internet, cable television and newspaper services in northeast Kansas, has submitted the successful bid for acquiring frequencies of public airwaves to allow for two-way communications in Lawrence. The company has agreed to pay $1.495 million to acquire a portion of airwaves set to be vacated in 2009 with the conversion of TV transmissions from analog to digital signals."http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/mar/22/world_company_wins_airwaves_auction/Still Patrick and Dolph can't come up for money for KMBC and KCWE, depsite increasing fees for Basic Cable (additional $5/set/home) or cutting in half the number of stations they provide analog. Patrick Knorr doesn't publish his email but perhaps these folks will forward your comments to him.dsimons@ljworld.comdsimonsjr@ljwo...

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

BigPrune (Anonymous) says... "If you've never hooked up your converter box, you'll still get channel 9, at least I did when I tried earlier"They are both KTKA owned by the World Company. No KMBC and KCWE ....

notajayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't know why this was removed earlier, but let's try again:Buggie7 (Anonymous) says…“Yea you will be able to get it with digital tuning cause the box components are already built into your tv if it is HD digital etc. However if you get the box the picture will be 1000 times clearer. almost as if you had cable or satellite. I understand you were just misinformed thats ok/”I think you might be a little bit misinformed yourself on what a convertor box is for and what it does.If you're using a convertor box on a TV with a built-in digital tuner, you are not seeing a better picture, or even one as good as you could be watching. Not only is a convertor unneccessary with a HDTV tuner built in, it's counterproductive, and you'd be foolish to keep using it. It does not make the picture 1000 times clearer, it reduces the resolution. The entire point of a convertor box is to take the HD digital signal and convert it to a low-resolution analog signal your older TV will be able to interpret. If you put the convertor box on a HDTV, you might make the picture appear clearer, but that's because it boosts the signal - the problem lies with your signal source, i.e. your antenna.If you use the built-in HD tuner directly with your antenna, you will be able to watch in 720p or 1080p resolution (depending on your TV), meaning 720 or 1080 lines of resolution. If your picture is fuzzy, you need to boost the signal, and you can do that without the convertor box. If you use the covertor box, it transforms the signal back down to, most likely, 640x480 resolution, which, I hate to say, is not 1000 times clearer than 720p or 1080p.Even with the convertor box, you still need a signal source - like, for instance, rabbit ears. Take the box off the HDTV, get a better antenna or a signal booster (or both), and you'll have the best picture available.

skinnee11 5 years, 11 months ago

average wrote:With Sunflower's “bronze cable” at over $750 a year (after taxes and fees), and the economy what it is, if cable companies and providers start wars, expect to see more antennas on poles with digital TVs/converters. That's what I use.Reply:This astounds me! No wonder I got rid of Sunflower years ago. Now, I spend a considerable amount less per year all because I dialed this simple number...1-800-DIRECTV(3473288)As far as internet is concerned, well, all I can suggest to you folks is to make a quick phone call to AT&T. It's faster than Sunflower and the customer service reps actually give a damn about their customers.

Buggie7 5 years, 11 months ago

Ok Ill say it for the last time...I was talking about analog TVs. do you people even read. I stated clearly that you already have a digital tuner in a hdtv. ANALOG> get the box or do without its that freakin simple. Ill be watching a clearer tv in Feb and the people who cant read on here can watch whatever. ANALOG ANALOG ANALOG. You will not be able to use rabbit ears OR an antenna beyond Feb 2009. Check out the govt link. As someone stated above im not sure why this suprises anyone they have only been talking about it since last year of the change over. Ok I posted my links I said my peace now Im done. Im not misinformed. Im getting this from someone who works on tvs and computers for a living and has actually had a successful business in Lawrence doing it for over 25 years. So you think what you want im either getting the box with the govt coupon or going direct TV

notajayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Buggie7 (Anonymous) says… "Ok Ill say it for the last time…I was talking about analog TVs. do you people even read."Well, let's see, you said:"Yea you will be able to get it with digital tuning cause the box components are already built into your tv if it is HD digital etc. However if you get the box the picture will be 1000 times clearer"And you weren't talking about hooking up a convertor box to a TV with a HD tuner? Maybe it's not us that can't read, maybe you should try speaking a little clearer."You will not be able to use rabbit ears OR an antenna beyond Feb 2009."Um - buggie - if you don't have rabbit ears or an antenna, you can hook a thousand convertor boxes to your TV, you'll still be watching a blank screen. You still need something to pull in the signal for the convertor box, and yes, rabbit ears or an antenna will still be needed with the convertor box. Sorry you have such a hard time understanding the information on the link you posted. If you had just looked at the pictures on the tigerdirect site, you might have realized you didn't know what you were talking about.http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemDetails/A80-1050/A80-1050-vend01-tmc.jpg[Pssst: Hey buggie - those are rabbit ears attached to the convertor box in the installation picture.]

notajayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Or, buggie, you might have looked at the picture on the "government site" you keep referring to:https://www.dtv2009.gov/images/bkgd.gifYou said "You will not be able to use rabbit ears OR an antenna beyond Feb 2009." You are wrong, the site you keep blathering about even explains it with pictures. Rabbit ears and antennas are not only not pointless, one of them will still be necessary.This is the site you keep talking about:https://www.dtv2009.gov/Try information from this FCC site, too:http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/dtvantennas.html"First, it is important to know that if your television currently receives good quality reception on analog channels 2-51 with a broadcast antenna, it should be able to receive digital television (DTV) signals, including high definition television (HDTV) signals, with the same broadcast antenna. You do not need to purchase a "DTV antenna" or an “HDTV antenna” to receive DTV or HDTV signals. However, consumers should be aware that if they use a digital-to-analog converter box, they will still need to use an antenna to receive DTV signals." Please try to inform yourself before pushing the argument to the point of embarassment.

BuffyloGal 5 years, 11 months ago

Anyone else remember when you paid for cable so you wouldn't have commercials?

Shawna Huffman 5 years, 11 months ago

In related news... Found in the Emporia Gazette:http://emporiagazette.com/news/2008/dec/31/no_more_49_after_midnight_dish_customers/I doubt this "news" story will make the LJ World.I looks like KTKA 49 out of Topeka (owned by....The World Company) is not going to be available to DISH subscribers.Wonder why?...I think the article mentioned the money was a factor. Sounds similar to what is happening with the KC ABC station.

bangaranggerg 5 years, 11 months ago

They should have dropped that channel 6. That channel is terrible.

KCinKS 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh please! Try moving to JOCO and signing up for Time Warner...after many satisfied years with Sunflower I was apalled at the lack of concerned customer service!!! Calls were not returned, service calls never happened, very poor video and audio quality and phone service...I could go on....and on. Since I was not in an area that offered Sunflower or Everest (which I was told was comparable to Sunflower in customer service). I finally had enough and cancelled, I never even received a call back to ask why I cancelled or to adjust my bill for service not received. So instead of bashing Sunflower, count your blessings!And on another note, those who know the Simons family personally would never say such harsh things about the World Company holdings. They are successful due to being good business minded people and also caring for others.And in case you are wondering, no I am not related to them, but would be proud to be :)

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

KCinKS (Anonymous) says… "And on another note, those who know the Simons family personally would never say such harsh things about the World Company holdings. They are successful due to being good business minded people and also caring for others."What harsh things are you referring to? What in particular did I say that is untrue? If you are such good friends perhaps you can persuade to their "caring for others" side to put back the two channels they removed or to rebate their customers for the loss of service and the additional ad revenue from KTKA 49.Let us know how that goes.

KCinKS 5 years, 11 months ago

Did I say that my post was in reference to YOUR post Sigmund? Feeling a bit guilty, are you? If the LJW/Sunflower/KTKA were to go under and the Simons go broke...then what would you have to complain about on here?

hwarangdo 5 years, 11 months ago

Get a good antennae and digital converter box - and you have at least local channels. If this keeps up, we will be forced to do something completely different ... like read a book ...

Estabon 5 years, 11 months ago

I was under the understanding, thru Sunfower, that every one would need a box, not only for digital, but that they were going to scramble all their stations. Is that true?

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

KCinKS (Anonymous) says… "Did I say that my post was in reference to YOUR post Sigmund? Feeling a bit guilty, are you? If the LJW/Sunflower/KTKA were to go under and the Simons go broke…then what would you have to complain about on here?"No you didn't and it was presumptuous of me to think you were referring to my all of my posts on this thread. But as you point out I have nothing to feel guilty about as nothing I have said is inaccurate. Thanks for allowing me to clear that up.After paying $650/year for cable don't you think customers have a right to complain when as a money saving effort Sunflower Cable reduces our choices and replaces them with by double booking the World Company's own commercial broadcast station? I can assure you if I reduce how much I pay for their service to reflect the reduced service they will be calling me to complain. How many channels can they remove without reducing our bills before we are allowed to criticize?So tell us how did your conversation go with the Simon's? Will they be reducing our bills for cutting their service or will they pay their bill to Hearst-Argyle Television Inc. and return KMBC and KCWE to their service that we pay for? After paying $650/year for cable don't you think customers have a right to complain when as a money saving effort Sunflower Cable reduces our choices and replaces them with by double booking it's own commercial broadcast station? I can assure you if I reduce how much I pay for their service to reflect the reduced service they will be calling me to complain. So tell us how did your conversation go with the Simon's? Will they be reducing our bill for cutting their service or will they pay their bill to Hearst-Argyle Television Inc. and returning KMBC and KCWE to their service?

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

Estabon (Anonymous) says... "I was under the understanding, thru Sunfower, that every one would need a box, not only for digital, but that they were going to scramble all their stations.Is that true?"Part of Patrick Knorr's Sunflower Cablevision disinformation campaign. Currently all you need is a PC or TV with digital tuner capable of Clear QAM and you can receive most if not all of the Extended Basic analog and digital channels. Any premium channels are scrambled and you'll need lease a box. You also will need a box to get Channel #1 that provides their on demand and program guide.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

Sorry about the redundancy of the 2 January 2009 at 8:12 p.m. post. I'd re-post correctly but that would add nothing....

AttaGirl 5 years, 11 months ago

I live in Lecompton and the only cable system here is SCI out of Topeka and as of the 1st, they are no longer carrying KCTV5 as well as the two above mentioned stations. Because of my location, DISH network didn't work well because of my neighbor's trees. I can't stand the Topeka stations and I see the cable company here eventually weeding out the Kansas City stations and forcing it's subscribers to view Topeka local stations only.

notajayhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

I understand the desires of those who say cable and dish should allow a la carte channel purchasing. Unfortunately, very few things, if anything, work that way in life.My wife is addicted to one of those home channels. There's a show where a couple is shown three (usually) homes and they end up making an offer on one. I have never seen anyone find the exact home they were looking for. This one is just the style they were looking for, but it's older and doesn't have enough closet space, electrical outlets, or bathrooms. That one is closer to work, but this one is in a better school district, and the third one is in a place with lower property taxes. That one has too few windows - or too many, but this one has a lousy view. Very, very few people have their homes built to their exact specifications in exactly the spot they want, and even then they can't always control who (or how many who's) move in next door. The same goes for clothes - off the rack you might get something that is almost everything you wanted, but very few have the wherewithal to have all their clothes designed and tailored just for them.And some things just don't lend themselves to custom-made. How many people do you know that have a car built to order - from the ground up? Or their cell phone, or big screen TV? How about politics - you can't say "I agree with 9 out of 10 positions with candidate 'A', so 90% of my vote goes to 'A' and 10% to 'B'." (Or 'A' sits in office for 330 days out of the year, and 'B' takes over for the other 35.)You don't get to elect a city or county government, then say you are willing to pay the taxes that fund the roads but not the buses, the libraries but not the golf course, the schools but not the fire department.Besides, when it's all said and done, if the cable companies allowed that, then a lot of channels would perish, and while most of us wouldn't miss the all-beach-volleyball-all-the-time channel, there are some who would, and variety is usually a good thing. Would you want a library that only shelved books that were on the best-seller list?

Orwell 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm familiar with a number of Kansas-owned cable systems and they're all facing difficulties due to Kansas (or border) broadcast stations trying to jack up the charges to carry their signals. The broadcasters aren't satisfied with the opportunity for additional ad revenue from a larger viewer base – the FCC has let them impose fees and additional conditions on cable systems that want to carry their programming, so they're running up their charges by 50% or more. I suspect Sunflower would be happy to pass through those higher costs if they knew all the heat from their customers could likewise be passed through to the broadcasters.Increased programming charges, together with "package" channel sales to cable companies (just how many flavors of ESPN does anyone really need?) are at the root of ever-increasing cable fees. Don't blame the cable company messenger for the programmers' bad news. Tell the FCC to mandate a la carte availability of channels, both to cable systems and to their customers. We wouldn't all have to surf past (or pay for) all that bundled junk Sunflower is forced to buy in order to provide the fewer channels that actually have subscriber support.btw, I'm pretty sure the city has been willing for decades to let anyone else overbuild the cable network in Lawrence – all that's required is the same level of local investment Sunflower has made. Don't like Sunflower? Fine – go ahead and send your money away to those local stalwarts at Dish. After all, they hire so many local support people and pay so much in local taxes, don't they? And don't get me started on the relative level of customer service we get from national providers – I can hum their "on hold" music and recite their "please be patient" recordings from memory.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

Orwell, good post and I tend to agree. I will only point out that as long as Sunflower Cablevision is refusing to pay the higher prices to KMBC and KCWE shouldn't Sunflower Cablevision customers be entitled to a discount reflecting the reduced service? If they are so stretched for bandwidth do they really need four channels for their wholly owned KTKA? Can't they replace KMBC and KCWE with Fox Business News and something else to compensate? After all they are no longer paying any fees to Hearst-Argyle. Sunflower Cablevision has great customer service, but for many people the satellite companies have a lot of attractive packages. The more Patrick pisses people off the more people will be willing to give them Dish and DIRECTV a go..

Larry Miller 5 years, 11 months ago

"Much to the chagrin of owners of various 2G cell phones on AT&T Mobility's network, including the highly visible (and originally highly expensive) first-generation iPhone, we have discovered that AT&T has been quietly adjusting its network in ways that degrade 2G network performance as it has sought to build out its next-generation 3G network. Many of the phones affected, including BlackBerry devices, are still well within their two-year contract period."Combine that with their privacy policy - why would anyone go with them?

JayCat_67 5 years, 11 months ago

I didn't even notice anything until I happened to see it here.

Tim Lyons 5 years, 11 months ago

While I work for Sunflower (on the production side), I can certainly see both sides of the issue.Granted, I am a skeptic by nature, but how it was explained to me was that it could have been resolved SOMEHOW if Hearst-Argyle would have given Sunflower more time to negotiate - they really didn't know heads or tails until the day their contract expired. Unfortunately, this has been happening to different cable providers around the country - because of the recession, ad revenue has been down for network affiliates, and so they've been trying to recoup costs by making cable providers pay to carry their channels when they had not paid previously. Ultimately, it hurts the network affiliates because the additional markets affect their ad revenue, so if they lose said market, they lose more money. This was not told to me by my superiors, but I read it in a trade magazine between shifts at Channel 6. ;)Anyway, I also noticed some disparaging comments about the quality of programming at Channel 6 - if there are any suggestions, I'm certain that anyone in the company would love to hear them. In the past few months, we have severely increased our video quality, the towercam has received a severe upgrade, and while I can't speak for the producers or production manager, I'm sure we're always open to programming suggestions, especially coming from those who view or would potentially view our programming.Disclaimer: The comment made above is my own, and in no way reflects the company's position or the position of anyone but myself. Seriously.

Tim Lyons 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh, another of my own-personal-free-will type comments, unsolicited by the company and sent from my own personal computer: The double-stocking KTKA issue - from what I understand, the only reason they did that was to give people ABC programming on the same channels they're used to. I'm not thrilled with KTKA's news over KMBC's news, but aside from that and some of the Channel 6/Free State Studios shows that are played on both stations, one SHOULD be able to watch at least some of the ABC programming they're used to on the same channel number they're used to. This is a big thing for the elderly population in Lawrence - for instance, my 90-year-old Grandmother-in-law doesn't know channels by name, just by number... It's kind of a cheesy solution, but it's the best they could come up with in short notice. I don't think it benefits KTKA in the short-term, though if this persists it MAY benefit their ad share in the long-term (depending on if my understanding is correct or not, I'm only a Production Assistant). Here's hoping it's a short-term issue, though. Of course it looks bad to people who know who owns what station, but chances are if the World Company DIDN'T own an ABC affiliate, we just wouldn't be able to watch ABC for a while. Unfortunately that's just the way it goes.

Sigmund 5 years, 11 months ago

TimLyons (Anonymous) says… "While I work for Sunflower (on the production side), I can certainly see both sides of the issue."Great post, thanks for your thoughts and your perspective.TimLyons (Anonymous) says… "Disclaimer: The comment made above is my own, and in no way reflects the company's position or the position of anyone but myself. Seriously."Understood. Obviously my thoughts are my own and I appreciate the World Company allowing me to bitch and gripe publicly on their dime. Everyone I have personally dealt with at Sunflower has been highly skilled and as far as I can tell are doing their very best to deliver the best possible service to Sunflower customers within the constraints given to them by the pinheads in upper management.

Tim Lyons 5 years, 11 months ago

Right - I mean, I haven't met any of the upper management, and to be honest all I know about this situation is what you guys do - what's been reported. My job is limited to basically running camera or mixing audio, so I don't hear more than the typical employee rumblings and my limited understanding of the industry based on what I read in trade magazines between shifts. So I don't have any more insight than anyone else that's posting, aside from reading the trade magazines and seeing that this has been happening across the country, and it ALWAYS makes the cable provider look like the bad guy. Just like I agree with some of the posts about offering a'la carte programming, but unfortunately the industry is just not set up for that right now.Basically it boils down to Sunflower being a content provider, and content creators/middlemen wanting to offset the effect of the poor economy on their business, and this just happens to be the easiest way for them to try and do it. At least that's my understanding.

Linda Endicott 5 years, 11 months ago

I live in Ottawa and get cable through Allegiance...I have no major complaints about the channels I receive, or the quality of reception...I don't get phone or internet service through them...I understand, by watching Nick the other night, that the same kind of hassle was going on for Time Warner...they were saying they didn't want to pay additional fees, and as of midnight Jan. 1, they would be dropping 16 channels offered by NIck or related companies...they did finally reach an agreement, at the last moment...Time Warner stated, before the agreement, that they would drop the 16 channels rather than raise the rates for their customers...this apparently is the same thing that Sunflower is planning to do...Have you talked to your customers? Have you listened to the ones you have talked to? Because it sounds to me as if a lot of your customers would be perfectly willing to pay a little more in order to continue to receive the stations that they like...Why don't you ask your customers? Do a survey, either online or over the phone, or both...if the grand majority of your customers want the stations to remain on the lineup, and are willing to pay more, then why not just do it??

rhd99 5 years, 11 months ago

LJW, & Sunflower Broadband, thanks for trying, but you are no match for the big boys (oh, I mean bullies) of network television. Hearst-Argyle, owners of KMBC, take your attitudes & STUFF IT!

Tim Lyons 5 years, 11 months ago

To Sigmund: Any "bitching" or "griping" potentially makes their product better, so by all means, keep doing what you're doing. You're one of the more constructive debaters on here, so anything you'd say, I'd imagine they would listen. The questions then are: have your issues been brought up, and if so, can they do it? Chances are, if your issues have been brought to their attention, they can't do it for one reason or another. Again, it's just one of those things... I know they WANT a lot of things to happen that just can't happen based on the industry in general.To crazyks: This move (from my limited understanding) blindsided Sunflower - there was no time to poll customers to see what they should or should not do. Again, just one of those things... it happens. I'm sure that if the negotiations go poorly, then a company with as much local standing and with as much to lose as Sunflower would do exactly that, but until they're allowed continued negotiations, it's difficult to say.To nooneks2 and others: The reason I haven't switched personally, aside from the lack of service from anyone else in my area (Eudora)... is because they ALL require contracts of certain lengths. One of the benefits of Sunflower is that they don't. Again, it's just the way that it goes. If you want to be stuck with another content provider for two years or more, that's up to you, but in this case, Sunflower doesn't do that, which is one of the main benefits of their service for me from a CUSTOMER standpoint. If they did, chances are I'd go with whomever did NOT require me to sign a two-year agreement. Go figure, it's just the type of person I am - if I'm not satisfied with a service, I want to be able to cancel at any time. That said, from a consumer point of view, I like Sunflower, and I'd rather stick with them than someone else who has better prices but requires a contract.Disclaimer: Again, the comments made above reflect MY OWN OPINION, and in NO WAY reflect the opinion of the company or anyone else but myself. I only identified myself as an employee in order to be able to talk about reading the trade magazines... I figured people would pick up on that regardless of me mentioning it.

Linda Endicott 5 years, 11 months ago

Tim Lyons: do the survey anyway, about ALL the channels that Sunflower provides at the moment...find out exactly what your customers want...also ask them if there are any channels currently not offered that they would like to have...keep it up to date...I'm sure this isn't the only time that this may be an issue, and with other companies besides Hearst-Argyle...Time Warner's problem came from Viacom...does Sunflower carry Viacom channels? If so, did they decide to pay their raised rates in order to continue carrying them? If they did, then why was the situation with Hearst such a big deal?Is it set in stone that Sunflower can't approach Hearst-Argyle and ask for negotiations to resume? So do your survey now, find out what the customers want, and then approach Hearst...I had an uncle once who was extremely stubborn...his father complained that my uncle never came to visit him...when asked about this, my uncle said, "it's not any farther from his house to mine than it is from my house to his..."While technically this was true, by being stubborn and not wanting to be the one to make the first move, they both missed out on a great deal...

Linda Endicott 5 years, 11 months ago

none2: I get a lot more channels than that through Allegiance...I get all the local stations, both KC and Topeka (including Ion), both PBS stations, plus with expanded basic I get ESPN, ESPN2, National Geographic, Nick, TV Land, WGN, Discovery, TLC, TMC, AMC, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie channel, HGTV, QVC, MTV, VH1, ABC Family, ETWN (which can be kind of interesting once in awhile), MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, Headline News, Bravo, Hallmark channel, MPLEX, Discovery Health, Comedy Central, Speed, Cartoon Network, CMT, Animal Planet, and the History channel...there may be a couple more that I've forgotten to list...I have not had any major problems with reception or billing, or being listened to when I call them...so yes, I'm satisfied with my service from them...

jayhawk2002 5 years, 11 months ago

crazyks: Sunflower does do a survey on the regular channels--every year in fact--to find out what subscribers want to keep or dump. the last one was posted in November to get feedback for their upcoming 2009 negotiations.

lucky7brand 5 years, 11 months ago

since posting my comment, some have commented on the information that sunflower provides NOW about bandwidth and the limits and so forth. I have recently looked at sunflowers updated website. They have changed their website since I had lived in lawrence and last checked their site about the limits and rates. Just maybe my complaint to the FCC had something to do with them being more informative NOW. just had to put that last bit in since some have comminted on how they were told when getting service and all the info some have said that is now on the their website. It was NOT there before i complained. i guess one voice can change things.