Archive for Friday, December 26, 2008

Longtime Lawrence fire chief dies

December 26, 2008

Jim McSwain, 65, a longtime Lawrence fire chief, died Thursday at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Services for James “Jim” A. McSwain, Lawrence, will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Mustard Seed Fellowship in Lawrence. Private inurnment will occur later.

McSwain was the retired fire chief for the city of Lawrence. He served in that position for 27 years until his retirement in September 2005.

While in Lawrence, he oversaw the growth of the Lawrence Fire Department and the eventual merger with the Douglas County Ambulance to form the Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical in 1997. He advocated many changes and safety procedures in Lawrence, which helped boost the city’s fire insurance rating. Prior to moving to Lawrence, he was an professor of Fire Science at Oklahoma State University.

Comments

ilovelucy 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm so sorry to hear this. Chief McSwain was a great guy and had a wicked sense of humor. He was also a great Santa Claus!

Jim Phillips 6 years, 2 months ago

Rest in Peace Chief. You beat the dragon.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 2 months ago

Chief McSwain was a very good man and a fine Fire Chief. He will be missed.

Teapot9 6 years, 2 months ago

"inturnment"??? Come on LJWorld, I know you guys can do better than that. This is an article on someone's death.Beat the dragon huh? How many years?

Yabut 6 years, 2 months ago

Thank you, Chief, for your service to this community. You will always be rememebered. My condolences to Chief McSwain's friends and family, including the fire department family. They've been hit hard with several deaths these past few weeks. God bless you all.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 2 months ago

Teapot9,I obviously don't know your background so what I say here might be redundant to you. I learned that term years ago from a firefighter friend. It had to do with survivng the fires and returning home safely. I apologize if you already knew the meaning of the term. He was Chief here for 27 years. I don't recall how long he was in the firefighting business. I just know he was a firefighter first and an administrator second. I have been told he was hanging onto hoses even when he was chief.

Byrne 6 years, 2 months ago

Teapot9: That's what they call it with crematory urns. You seem to have added an extra "t." Not surprising, as it's sort of an unusual word.Thanks Chief, and my regards to the family and friends.

Thinking_Out_Loud 6 years, 2 months ago

No need to apologize, Guardian. At least, ~I~ didn't know that particular term.I had the opportunity to meet the Chief on several occasions, and he impressed me without fail. His family and friends have my condolences, and he has my admiration and appreciation.