Archive for Tuesday, December 16, 2008

3.5” of snow reported in downtown Lawrence; turnpike accident leaves one person in ‘serious’ condition

Other accidents reported throughout area, causing only minor injuries

At the scene of an accident Tuesday morning that involved more than a dozen vehicles, Ted Bergkamp, of Mount Hope, describes how his Corvette hit the concrete barrier as he was approaching Lawrence. "After that it was just a whiteout," he said, at the accident site west of the turnpike's Lecompton interchange. "Once one car started spinning and hit another, it was just a chain reaction."

December 16, 2008, 9:10 a.m. Updated December 16, 2008, 5:28 p.m.

6 Weather Afternoon Forecast for Dec. 16, 2008

Snow will taper off but temperatures will drop to 12 by 9 p.m. Expect snow-packed roads and highways during regional travel. Get more detailed information in the above video. Enlarge video

Digging out begins

Lawrence street crews and residents work to keep things clear with Tuesday's snowfall. Enlarge video

David Bitter talks about the accident he was involved in

David Bitter talks about the crash on the turnpike. He says whiteout conditions and a salt truck are to blame

5:28 p.m.Lawrence Memorial Hospital treated five patients from the I-70 accident this morning.

A spokeswoman said one was transferred to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., with serious injuries. The others were treated and released.

LMH also treated one patient for a hip fracture from falling on ice.

“We are prepared to see more activity throughout the night,” said Belinda Rehmer, hospital spokeswoman.

4:39 p.m. About five people received minor injuries in a series of crashes Tuesday morning on the Kansas Turnpike, authorities said.

There were three different groups of accidents, involving a total of 15 vehicles, including two semi-trailers, said KTA spokeswoman Lisa Callahan.

The first accident happened about 9:05 a.m.

While eastbound traffic was backed up for about a mile, it was always moving, Callahan said.

The accidents were cleared and traffic was returned to normal by 2:30 p.m., she said.

Low visibility and snow-packed roadways are blamed for several other crashes in Kansas today. The Kansas Highway Patrol is calling today's weather a "routine snow event" and didn't have reports of any other fatalities.

Meanwhile, the Lawrence Police department updated its accident count to 17 for Tuesday. A police spokeswoman said no one was injured in the city crashes.

4:02 p.m. Our 4 p.m. update for commuters is up. Here's the rundown of road conditions based on where drivers are going to and from:

Between Kansas City and Lawrence

Between Topeka and Lawrence

In and around Douglas County

3:34 p.m. About 1,000 students were absent from Lawrence Public Schools today, a spokeswoman said.

Nine percent of the student body — or 998 students — didn’t attend school, “which isn’t unusual,” said Julie Boyle, spokeswoman.

Parents can excuse students for health and safety reasons, including inclement weather, though the district doesn’t categorize absences by the specific type of excuse, Boyle said.

Read the rest of the story

2:24 p.m. Some residents choose to find the brighter side during a snow storm.

For 82-year-old Wayne Mercer, that means pulling out his snow blower and making short work of the sidewalks and driveways all along his street. And for the 4- and 5-year-old Marsh brothers, both adopted from Siberia, it means some snow shoveling followed by some snowman building.

Read the rest of the story.

2:09 p.m. 6News Chief Meteorologist Matt Elwell reports that downtown Lawrence saw 3.5" of snow so far today. West Lawrence was closer to four inches.

While the snow continues to fall, very little additional accumulation is expected today.

2:03 p.m. Lawrence police said nine crashes have been reported in the city limits today. No one was injured in the accidents, police spokeswoman Kim Murphree said.

2:01 p.m. The decision to hold school in Lawrence Tuesday may not have been a popular one for students, but public schools Superintendent Randy Weseman said it’s something that must be adapted to.

“It’s winter, it’s going to snow, it’s going to be inconvenient,” Weseman said. “Slow down, adapt and persevere.”

Read the rest of the story

1:47 p.m. “The snow is dwindling to just light snow and flurries,” said 6News meteorologist Alex Harrington.

Harrington said freezing drizzles could be in store for the afternoon and the roadways will continue to be slick, though additional snowfall accumulation will be minimal the rest of the day.

1:21 p.m. Light snow continues to fall in Lawrence.

The Kansas Department of Transportation reports that all highways in Lawrence, including parts of K-10, U.S. 40 and U.S. 59 through Lawrence, are completely snowpacked.

As you enter Johnson County, roads are classified as "mostly snowpacked." The roads are considered "mostly snowpacked" in Shawnee County as well.

In Jefferson and Leavenworth counties, roads are either completely or mostly snowpacked.

12:57 p.m. A Kansas Turnpike Authority dispatcher said emergency crews are still working to get vehicles off I-70 involved in the multiple car accident more than 2 ½ hours after the crash.

The dispatcher said traffic is beginning to move more smoothly through the area of the crash.

One witness said traffic appeared to be backed up for about a half-mile this morning.

12:34 p.m. If you're at the office today, make sure you come back at 4 p.m. for a complete commuter forecast for road conditions from Topeka and Kansas City into Lawrence.

12:13 p.m. Another witness to the I-70 accident said at least four semi trucks were involved.

A Lawrence police spokeswoman said an update to the number of accidents in the city would be made available this afternoon.

12:04 p.m. An injury accident that was slowing traffic on Sixth Street was reported at the intersection of Sixth and Colorado streets.

11:56 a.m. No fatalities have been reported in Northeast Kansas from the snowstorm, though police in Wichita said a man died late last night after driving at a high speed on a snow-packed road and crashing into a tree.

The Kansas Highway Patrol said no fatal accidents had been reported as of mid-morning.

A Lawrence Memorial Hospital spokeswoman said things have been relatively normal in the emergency room today.

11:17 a.m. One driver involved in the crash on the turnpike said whiteout conditions and a salt truck are to blame.

Ted Bergkamp said cars were trying to avoid a large truck in the far left lane.

“Everybody ended up swerving … to miss it,” he said.

“It was a whiteout and I just slid and couldn’t see,” Bergkamp added. “My driver’s side window’s broken … the whole left side of my Corvette is crunched.”

Bergkamp, who wasn’t injured in the crash, said semis are jackknifed on the highways and some vehicles that were hit didn’t stop.

10:34 a.m. A Douglas County emergency dispatcher said “a lot” of accidents have been reported to the 911 communications center this morning. An exact number wasn’t immediately available.

10:30 a.m. Journal-World and 6News journalists at the scene of the accident in the eastbound lanes of the Kansas Turnpike report that at least 12 vehicles are involved.

The accident scene is near the intersection of Douglas County Road 1029 and Interstate 70. According to the Kansas Turnpike Authority, the turnpike remains open in both directions, including through the accident scene.

"Traffic is moving," said Lisa Callahan, KTA director of public relations. "It's moving slowly through there."

It's not yet clear how many people were injured in the crash.

9:55 a.m. A fourth medical unit has been dispatched to eastbound I-70 west of Lecompton for the major accident on the turnpike.

9:36 a.m. The City of Lawrence put out a statement this morning, saying its crews have been out since 4:30 a.m. All arterial streets have been treated twice and crews are now working on collector streets.

Iowa and Sixth streets are examples of arterials; Tennessee is an example of a collector.

The city reports that most roads are snow covered and snow packed.

9:28 a.m. 6News meteorologist Craig Gold says Lawrence has about 2.5 inches of snow so far and should have three by the time the snow tapers ends about 10:30 a.m.

He expects the snow will see be on the ground when an ice storm is expected to move through Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

9:21 a.m.A Kansas Highway Patrol trooper on the scene of the multiple car pileup reported that there were at least three people injured, including one person trapped in a vehicle.

9:16 a.m. There are reports of a 15-20 car chain reaction on the Kansas Turnpike about three miles west of Lecompton.

Several crews from Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical and Lecompton Township Fire are responding to the scene.

The Kansas Department of Transportation lists the Kansas Turnpike as "mostly snowpacked."

9:10 a.m. Tuesday morning's snow was causing the usual havoc with rush hour traffic in Lawrence but there have been no serious accidents, Douglas County emergency dispatchers said.

There are trouble spots, mostly on the city's hilly streets. Dispatchers identified the following areas where traffic was backed up:

Bob Billings Parkway and Monterey Way.

2100 block of Kasold Drive.

Ninth Street and Avalon Road.

Clinton Parkway and Iowa Street

Comments

guesswho 6 years, 4 months ago

Isn't '15th Street and Monterey Way' and 'Monterey and Bob Billings Parkway' the same place? Or is it doubly bad?

sharper 6 years, 4 months ago

Is the big accident on 70 Eastbound or Westbound?

Bunny_Hotcakes 6 years, 4 months ago

@justfornow -1, that was pretty weak. Work on your subtlety.

Jeanne Cunningham 6 years, 4 months ago

What the ordinance says (from the city's web page):To make public sidewalks safe for pedestrians, the owner or occupant of property immediately adjacent to a public sidewalk is responsible for the removal of any snow or ice that accumulates on the sidewalk. Removal must be done within 24 hours after the ice forms or the snowfall ends. In the event that removal of ice is impossible, the property owner or occupant is required to place sand on the sidewalk within 24 hours. So, as I read that, as long as it's still snowing, no one is REQUIRED to start moving it.

nobody1793 6 years, 4 months ago

"City crews will commence plowing operations — and not just sand and salt spreading — once the accumulation reaches three inches. The city reports that most roads are snow covered and snow packed."Wow, that makes sense. So they throw sand on top of snow, wait for it to build up, then plow it all away? Meanwhile the traffic has already packed it all down making it difficult to plow cleanly? If the snow were to have reached 2.9 inches, would they have plowed at all?Or am I misunderstanding this?

ridinthefence 6 years, 4 months ago

justfornow you are an idiot and probably dont have a job to go to... ha

Alison Roberts 6 years, 4 months ago

Thats funny... because the accident I saw was caused by a male driver.... And when I got to work, who were the only employees here? Women.I had a problem getting through on Kasold from Clinton Pkwy. It was blocked off.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 4 months ago

justfornow has a point, but moreso, ALL idiot drivers need to stay home on days like today. Regardless of sex.2.8" in my part of town (south of downtown), btw.

sharper 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the knowledge on the eastbound. I've got a friend headed that way to Lawrence, so I'll let 'em know.

KansasPerson 6 years, 4 months ago

justfornow would probably agree with this (and miss the fact that it's satire) --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4(Also hilarious is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9r... ... and I'm almost ready to guarantee that someone on this board will also miss the satire and will flame me for being sexist!)

KansasPerson 6 years, 4 months ago

R_I, where are you? Not in Lawrence?I didn't have any trouble getting the son to his final this morning. I did see a lot of trouble on Kasold, as mentioned earlier. Just avoid those uphill roads and you'll be fine! And of course, leave lots of time, and lots of stopping space.I wonder how it'll be in a couple hours when it's time to go pick up the students. (Half-day for finals.)

4chewnut 6 years, 4 months ago

So the city doesn't have to plow until we get 3 inches, but homeowners have to shovel regardless of amount. Nice.

jamnjohnks 6 years, 4 months ago

so if the ordinance says that 24 hours after the snow/ice event you must have you sidewalk cleared or at least well sanded, shouldn't the city be responsible to have EVERY street cleaned off or well sanded within 24 hours? Fair is fair. And can every resident of an unclear street write the ticket to a city official if they don't have it done?

Jeanne Cunningham 6 years, 4 months ago

Well, the ordinance is about snow/ice on SIDWALKS. The 3" stuff is about ROADS and STREETS. It IS a bit different.

nobody1793 6 years, 4 months ago

"Informed (Anonymous) says… Only when I had to walk to school two miles, barefoot, uphill (both ways) in it, nobody1793."No, I guess you don't remember the album to which I was referring. It was back in the mid-90's white rapper craze.

jamnjohnks 6 years, 4 months ago

it is not different. One is for vehicular traffic one is for pedestrian traffic. If I am expected to make the pedestrian traffic lane safe, they should make sure the vehicular lane is safe. And btw, I agree with the ordinance.

Jaylee 6 years, 4 months ago

"The city also issued a reminder that sidewalks must be cleared within 24 hours of the snowstorm."the city should buy me a shovel and some salt with all the money they save not having a decent, dependable snowplow setup.im from northern illinois and we have school unless a half foot gets dropped in like half an hour in which case we would have postponed it until the plows get everything clear, then have to go to school after a half day of playing in the snow.kansans make lousy snow folk, that is for sure haha

rachaelisacancer 6 years, 4 months ago

Nobody1973 - Hahaha. Licky boom boom there. As though anyone could actually discern what's being said.

shawn1040 6 years, 4 months ago

Why do they wait until they have 3" of snow? Now they get to plow off all the sand and salt they put down - way to waste freakin money!! NICE!! PLOW first THEN treat!! Duh!!!

shawn1040 6 years, 4 months ago

"The city also issued a reminder that sidewalks must be cleared within 24 hours of the snowstorm."I want to issue a reminder to the city that my street must be cleared within 24 hours of the snowstorm.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 4 months ago

it's just another example of why Lawrence streets are some of the WORST around after a snow event. Sunday evening, the Leavenworth rural county roads were in better shape than the city streets of Lawrence.

Brandon Devlin 6 years, 4 months ago

"It was a whiteout and I just slid and couldn’t see,” Bergkamp added. “My driver’s side window’s broken … the whole left side of my Corvette is crunched.”A choice vehicle for driving in these conditions. . .

dgraham 6 years, 4 months ago

responding to tjhoops69; since I've been in Lawrence, the city workers are a joke. Doesn't matter what season we're in they do absolutly nothing. So all our tax money that is taken out our paychecks, I often wonder who's pocket it's going in.

coolhandluke 6 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, the guy is driving a corvette in a snow storm and blames the accident on a salt truck. Hmmm...

mistygreen 6 years, 4 months ago

tjhoops69 -- your right, what a joke!Here's the really funny punch line, we're paying them OVERTIME!

nomorebobsplease 6 years, 4 months ago

Mr Bergkamp - If you are driving your Corvette in a snowstorm (silly), and you expererince whiteout conditions....perhaps instead of trying to pass slower vehicles-you should SLOW DOWN.Oh! Forgot! That would be reasonable and prudent! Not terms normally associated with 'vette drivers....

Confrontation 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm guessing that the Corvette driver also has depth perception problems. Can we say "compensating," anyone?

KLATTU 6 years, 4 months ago

"...so if the ordinance says that 24 hours after the snow/ice event you must have you sidewalk cleared or at least well sanded..."Since the majority of homes in Lawrence won't have their walks shoveled no matter how much time you give them I have to assume there is none, and never has been any enforcement of this.

mistygreen 6 years, 4 months ago

hahaha Prospector. Sounds more like they were parked there because it was coffee break or breakfast time. I find it impossible to believe that they don't get paid OT especially in bad weather, but then again maybe that is why the streets in Lawrence are so bad.

ksarmychick 6 years, 4 months ago

Who do we call to report the city not clearing their sidewalkes. Because I will be calling to report the sidewalk/bike path behind my house(on city property) at the 24 hour mark. I will expect it to be clear so that I may walk on it to take my daughter sleeding. Normally I wouldn't care and just walk through the snow, but since they made the law I will expect them to obey it too.

hujiko 6 years, 4 months ago

People, I was out driving and saw some ridiculous excuses for driving in this weather. Should I have to remind anyone not to tailgate? No, but I had to already. Remember the 4 second rule. Seriously people, slow down, take your time, don't get upset, whatever you have to do, can wait.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 4 months ago

Supposedly there was an accident at 19th and Ousdahl in the last little bit too.

sarahsmilehawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Maybe I've asked this question before... What is my mom supposed to do about this sidewalk ordinance? She's not physically capable of shoveling a sidewalk, and I bet a lot of people aren't. Maybe they'll just leave us alone because it's East Lawrence?

coolmarv 6 years, 4 months ago

Whine, Whine, Whine. Just stay out of my way and I'll be fine.

nannette 6 years, 4 months ago

has anyone heard about the injury accident at 6th and colorado street?.. i am at work and my husband was to be in that area around that time.. a red 98 dodge sonoma extended cab with jf county plates?

grimpeur 6 years, 4 months ago

Corvette? I'd take the second car. You do have a second car, right?

KansasGirl82 6 years, 4 months ago

I am just wondering what you all would do if you were in Alaska?

Kynsicat 6 years, 4 months ago

Sarahsmilehawk:Here's some info on sidewalk help for the elderly:Safe Winter Walkways: Volunteers will remove snow from the public sidewalk and a walkway or path from the front door to the street for those who are unable to do so themselves. Please contact Dacia at daciam@sunflower.com.

Boston_Corbett 6 years, 4 months ago

I am amazed at the amount of whining going on the weather stories today.I for one, having lived other places, am continually amazed at and grateful for the good job done by the Lawrence and KU snow removal crews.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 4 months ago

bob I would never leave the house not because of the snow but I hate cold. How did I end up married to a man that loves snow and winter and sleding and all things winter? man what was I thinking lol.

weatherguy48 6 years, 4 months ago

I think it's kind of funny that we're having the same discussion in two different threads.

gogoplata 6 years, 4 months ago

Drive it like you stole it!!!! YeeeeeeeHaaaaw!!!

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

“I am just wondering what you all would do if you were in Alaska?”Well, that depends. Did we hypthetically randomly teleport there, are did we get kidnapped in a black van and dropped somewhere there, or did we hypothetically choose to go to Alaska, to visit or to live, with the knowledge that it is by far the most-North state in our union, with the snow, cold, darkness etc. that entails?The answer to that probably effects the answer to your question a great deal.

nobody1793 6 years, 4 months ago

“I am just wondering what you all would do if you were in Alaska?”I'd challenge Todd Palin to a duel.

AngstyDad 6 years, 4 months ago

Did anyone notice the first pic? ALL those cars were barely a car length from each other. I'm assuming these accidents wouldn't have even happend if the idiots had been following basic general snow driving precautions. They are obviously still driving like its a regular day. Yeah, with morons like this around I expect a lot more accidents to happen this winter. Right now I'm worried about my wife who has to venture out pretty far from home in this weather. Damit people drive smart!!

jenner 6 years, 4 months ago

Ok, so... I'm from Pennsylvania, and I've also lived in GA and IN. I'm used to the snow and all of that jazz, but I have NEVER in my life experienced such a terrible street cleaning plan. It's really ridiculous. My car could barely manuever through the snowpacked roads. There was also a fella in front of me with rear wheel drive that was obviously having a much worse time at it than i was...Slight hills, especially at stop sign areas SHOULD BE CLEARED. It's pretty difficult to stop and start when on a snowpacked hill.Every place I've ever lived begins plowing when there's ONE INCH of snow on the roads, and continues plowing in intervals until the snow has stopped. Winter around here is a JOKE.

4chewnut 6 years, 4 months ago

Just For Now -- If you ever need help on a snowy day I hope the female police officer, female ambulance driver, female fire fighter leave you waiting for a male driver.

Confrontation 6 years, 4 months ago

kujhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

AND people saw them NOT doing anything!! What a joke!!hey hoops 69 what's up with bashing the city guys on snow duty, my husband works for the city and I personally know they do a good job, they work 12 hour rotating shifts during the winter, I'm sure they'll get everything done for you in a timely matter. If you give them your address maybe it might get done quicker.

SpeedRacer 6 years, 4 months ago

I am always amazed by the people I spot when I am out in bad weather. This morning on the way to taking the kid to school, I saw two incidents of people chatting on cell phones while trying to maneuver through the snow. And there were several people who were so bundled up inside their cars that they could barely drive, including one who had a hood on and couldn't see to the side, as well as the numerous cars that had not been cleaned off before heading out.

vpete69 6 years, 4 months ago

There is absolutely NOTHING that gives me greater joy in life than watching a person who thinks that Newton's laws of physics do not apply to a 4-wheel drive vehicle...and then seeing them proved wrong. I LIVE for this! I saw it twice this morning and it brought tears of joy to my eyes as I watched one of them spin out and hit a guard rail head on, and the other get T-boned by an 18 wheeler! Don't worry, I cheered for all of us!

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

Justfornow - maybe no one ever taught you to drive (doesn't seem like they taught you manners either), but many of us have no issues driving in snow. How ignorant of you to lump all women together since you aren't able to handle driving in bad weather. I've never had a wreck in bad weather and was taught to drive by my mom who can drive a semi. So, learn some manners and also learn to not lump everybody together. That's called stereotyping and makes you sexist (it doesn't matter what sex you are).

jonas_opines 6 years, 4 months ago

"I had someone tailgating me this morning. Extremely close. Then, I realized that I knew this person and she's an international student at KU. Please, someone get some driving manuals to the international students! This isn't Japan."Yes, I've noticed I've never been tailgated by an American.cough

Deja Coffin 6 years, 4 months ago

Men in your lives? Are you implying that men drive better in bad weather then women? Hmmm.....I hear a debate coming on....(hopefully, I'm really bored)

Irishflower22 6 years, 4 months ago

vpete69, just curious, where did you see these accidents?

jenner 6 years, 4 months ago

justfornow is obviously TRYING to start something (subtlety is not a gift you possess). What's worse is all of the people falling for it on here....

Curtis Lange 6 years, 4 months ago

lol, I live two blocks from downtown Lawrence and have right over 4" too.

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

The city does a terrible job. Sorry kujhawk. My husband got stuck at lunch (in a big heavy pick up) on 2nd street at the bridge and took him a little while to get through it. All they have done is thrown sand on top of packed snow. What brainiac thought that up? When the city can't manage to plow major roads and treat the only large bridge in town, then there's a problem.I work in Shawnee. Three hours ago the city plowed the business park and all roads around here are plowed. There is no excuse for a city the size of Lawrence to not have the major streets plowed.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 4 months ago

TOB, I challenge you to drive while putting on lipstick, texting, drinking coffee, and switching through stations and then we'll see who drives better!!! I can out knee drive you any day!

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

If justfornow has nothing better to do, she should get off her ss and shovel some sidewalks. Maybe some elderly couple in your neighborhood can find a use for your sorry ss, if you're able to even walk in bad weather.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 4 months ago

Well, here we go into the my husband is better then yours debate.

lawrencechick 6 years, 4 months ago

We can spend millions on empty buses spewing diesel exhaust all over our "green" city but we can't afford to plow the main four roads around our city? Forget the salt and sand when the drifts on the street are 6 inches deep...PLOW.

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

justfornow - do as I said and make yourself useful by shoveling some sidewalks. You really, really need to get a life. You're about as useful as the city workers.

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

they wouldn't plow my road anyways, so who cares? kujhawk should tell her husband to get busy because now they officially say we have over 3".

handley 6 years, 4 months ago

I have heard all this fuss about land owners cleaning their sidewalks. Why does the city not push some snow off of the streets so people can get around better.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 4 months ago

justfornow, okay when I first read your comment, I was inclined to write back bleep you. But then, I thought about it. I think you were being funny, and sarcastic in a SNL kind of way and using this as a device to get the readers to question their bias's, whether they be gender or otherwise. I'm sure you know that being a good driver, in snow or dry, has nothing to do with gender, and that is what you were really intending to impart.So, as a woman, I say, thank you.

lily 6 years, 4 months ago

justfornow if you are a women you must be something else.I'm only a woman. I drive just as well as the average human being. Better than some, worse than others. But, I have 4 wheel drive so doesn't that make me special?

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

justfornow - see, some of us are the bosses and work long hours and can do what we want on our computers while at work. My work gets done, whether I'm working at the office or at home and whether I'm working at 8:00 am or 8:00 pm. So I guess you don't work and have all the time in the world to play on the computer instead of getting a job while your husband supports you. Or better yet, go back to school so you can learn to spell and use proper grammer (It's you're, not your. You don't use a comma after and in your run on sentence, which should be two sentences.). You aren't the brightest bulb, are you? At least use proper English if you're going to play on here.

budwhysir 6 years, 4 months ago

I would have to say that with all these people in here typing these funny messages, the city is going to make alot of money giving tickets for not shoveling sidewalks

MissinLawrence 6 years, 4 months ago

Wow...I love to hear people b*tching and complaining about the road crews (i'm being verrrry sacrastic, fyi). How would you like to be on 12 hr shift, trying to do the best that they can (yes I did use the word trying). I know I do complain about the roads not being cleared off, but at least I have enough respect for the city of lawrence employees who go around and clean off your streets without hitting your cars (aka, move your cars off the streets).tjhoops- get outside and experience this beautiful weather or go apply for a job with the city of lawrence. They were recently hiring because people of lawrence who tried to work on the snow crews couldn't hack it. Suck it up and do something about it.And yes I do have a few family members who work for the city. And YES! I am a women and can drive very well in this weather, without 4x4.

classclown 6 years, 4 months ago

I don't have a snow shovel so I am unable to shovel the sidewalk. Instead I scooped it up with my hands and made what must be a couple thousand snowballs which I stockpiled on my porch.My dogs let me know when anyone gets near my house. So when they tell me, I go out and start hurling those snowballs at whichever whiny crybaby that needs a pristine sidewalk happens to be going by. How do you like your sidewalk now whiners?It's really quite fun and as an added bonus good exercise. Both for me and the whiners running away and trying to dodge the snowball fury. I recommend it to everyone.

kmat 6 years, 4 months ago

You are so full of hot air, you should be able to just blow them. Now turn off your computer and pull out a book and try to do some learnin' beyond that GED.

grammaddy 6 years, 4 months ago

Seems like every year, the whiners show up with the first snow. How much longer before they realize that snow in Kansas is inevitable in the winter. Slow down, be patient,and drive carefully. This too will pass.

greywolf85203 6 years, 4 months ago

All I can say is I hope that the Jr and Sr high students managed to pass their finals. Any other time the younger kids would have been home safe instead of out in this aweful weather. Shame on you Mr. Weisman.

Mike Blur 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey hawk, the PLC got tossed out last election, so progressives can't be blamed anymore for the street crews' incompetence. And, as we have found out the last couple years, business-friendly conservatives are wretched as well. That means only one thing.Time to draft Joe for city commission!

KansasGirl82 6 years, 4 months ago

It seems like some people have never seen or driven in snow before! Come on now! If you can't drive in the snow, you have no business driving at all!

gsxr600 6 years, 4 months ago

Saw a cop run a red light today on 23rd and Iowa, illegally merged into the right lane blocking my right of way, and proceeded to fishtail for literally a block. And the officer was a woman, go figure.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

well, if you're a police officer, of whatever gender or persuasion, you oughta be able to have a little fun driving, eh?c'mon people! it's only 3.5 inches, what is that, 7.5CM, FGS! the mind reels at the thought of what carnage we'd have, and what bellyaching if we'd had 8 inches!
reading the above posts, I'm left with a few conclusions:Justfornow suffers serious psychological envy complex, she wishes her husband's pick up were as big as Kmat's. if I'm driving on a day like today, do I need to drive my vet? really?anecdote of city workers' behavior passing for data. the workers in their trucks have to be on the road in case freezing rain/sleet comes down so they're already in place to counter superslick sudden conditions. twelve hour shifts, I surely hope they get some break time in there. no, it doesn't make sense to plow to the side, up onto the freshly cleared sidewalk/driveway. and I agree, snow removal should begin at 1inch. sarahsmilehawk: the system for sidewalk clearing tickets is apparently still complaint driven. so, being in east lawrence (a cool place) one hopes nobody will complain but do get the assistance. the trouble with clearing the sidewalk is: you leave a nice flat surface for slight melted snow to form a wonderful ice slick. plus, we have ice coming wednesday they say. I'd rather people not clear their sidewalks, speaking as a frequent pedestrian; I just wear boots. thanks for the laughs, mostly this was a pretty funny thread!

ridinthefence 6 years, 4 months ago

Wow, there wouldnt be any accidents if we didnt have cops, women and city workers out on the streets of lawrence. Maybe we should all stay home except the men in little trucks so they can get to and from work, ya...

infinity13 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm flabbergasted how Lawrence can not have Iowa Street, one of the city's MAIN streets, plowed by early afternoon. I'm from Iowa originially and the main streets there are plowed by 7 am and continue to be plowed throughout the day. The rural roads are even plowed early. AND Iowa gets way more snow! Good thing I'm paying taxes for such great service.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 4 months ago

Has anyone been on K-10 in the last hour? I'm getting ready to head home from Johnson County and wondered what the roads are like westbound on K-10.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks, TOB,I'm heading home after shopping and doing some holiday baking with my daughter. It was a great day.

budwhysir 6 years, 4 months ago

bearded nome:Yes you should drive your vet, if you would like to see your name in the paper and be able to brag about how it is smashed up. Such a shame in this economy to drive your vet at 70 on the snow and ice.

gsxr600 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm not flaming on cops, I'm just glad I didn't get hit on my right of way. And I'm not just trying to be discriminating against woman, I would say 85% of people can't drive worth a damn in this town.*****Enjoyed the snow day though; finally my 2.5hp Honda Accord can peel out and drift like a race car. I love my e-brake. FWD ftw hahah. I think I'm gonna add on some racing decals to fender and put a 20 inch spoiler on the back for some serious aerodynamics. That's gotta add like 10hp to wheels!

sarahsmilehawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks everyone for the info on sidewalk-clearing assistance. I called my mom and it turns out she doesn't even have a sidewalk to shovel!I just don't drive in the snow. I've lived in Lawrence long enough to know that my vehicle WILL spin out of control every time I break, accelerate or turn.

sks6cf 6 years, 4 months ago

Everyone calm down! It's just snow! Welcome to winter in Kansas.