Archive for Monday, December 1, 2008

Obama team reinventing Clinton image

December 1, 2008

— It wasn’t too long ago that Barack Obama and his advisers were tripping over one another to tear down Hillary Rodham Clinton’s foreign policy credentials. She was dismissed as a commander in chief wanna-be who did little more than sip tea and make small talk with foreign leaders during her days as first lady.

“What exactly is this foreign policy experience?” Obama said mockingly of the New York senator. “Was she negotiating treaties? Was she handling crises? The answer is no.”

That was in March, when Clinton was Obama’s sole remaining rival for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Now, Clinton is on track to become Obama’s secretary of state.

And, unsurprisingly, the sniping at her foreign policy credentials is a thing of the past.

Obama adviser William Daley said Clinton would be “a tremendous addition to this administration. Tremendous.”

Senior adviser David Axelrod called Clinton a “demonstrably able, tough, brilliant person.”

Last spring, though, Clinton was targeted with a steady stream of criticism via conference call, e-mail and campaign-trail digs from the Obama camp, all aimed at shredding her self-portrait as an experienced and confident leader on the international stage. Some of those doing the sniping will be taking up key positions — most likely along with Clinton — in the new Obama administration.

Greg Craig, selected to serve as White House counsel in the Obama administration, delivered a withering attack during the primaries on Clinton’s claims that she could rightfully share in the credit for some of the foreign policy successes of her husband’s presidency.

“She did not sit in on any National Security Council meetings when she was first lady,” Craig insisted in one conference call. He went on to knock down Clinton’s claims to influence in the Northern Ireland peace process, opening borders for refugees during the war in Kosovo, and making a dangerous visit to Bosnia.

“There is no reason to believe ... that she was a key player in foreign policy at any time during the Clinton administration,” Craig wrote in a campaign memo.

Susan Rice, an Obama adviser who could land a spot in the new administration, mocked the idea that Clinton could lay claim to foreign policy credentials by marriage.

“There is no crisis to be dealt with or managed when you are first lady,” Rice sniffed last March. “You don’t get that kind of experience by being married to a commander in chief.”

Clinton was only too happy to make light of Obama’s own foreign policy credentials, suggesting his biggest selling point was a 2002 speech against going to war with Iraq. “Many people gave speeches against the war then,” she said in a February debate.

Robert Gelbard, an adviser to the Obama campaign on foreign policy who worked in the Clinton administration, said in March that Clinton had more involvement in foreign policy than a lot of first ladies, but added that “her role was limited, and I’ve been surprised at the claims that she had a much greater role.”

Well, never mind about all of that now.

“That was then; this is now,” said David Gergen, who has served as an adviser to both Republican and Democratic presidents. “Campaigns are ever thus.”

“Generally speaking,” Gergen said, “there is a recognition that campaigns bring a certain amount of hyperbole, and when it’s over you try to find the most talented people you can find to work with you.”

Clinton may not have been at the table when her husband made the big decisions, Gergen said, but “she’s been imbibing questions on foreign policy and decision-making since 1992.”

A spokesperson for the Obama transition team declined to comment on the shift in tone.

It also should be said that some of the wounds to Clinton’s foreign policy credentials during the primaries were self-inflicted, most famously her inflated account of the drama associated with a visit she made to Bosnia.

“I remember landing under sniper fire,” she recounted in a speech. “There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base.”

Soon enough, video footage surfaced of Clinton’s unremarkable airport arrival ceremony, where she was welcomed by dignitaries and posed for photos with children.

Clinton brought up the Bosnia trip to counter Obama’s suggestion that her experiences as first lady amounted to having tea at an ambassador’s house.

“I don’t remember anyone offering me tea,” she said of the Bosnia visit.

Clinton, in an April debate, blamed her Bosnia gaffe on campaign fatigue. But she did not back away from her claim to broad foreign policy experience as first lady.

“I was not as accurate as I have been in the past,” she said. “But I know, too, that being able to rely on my experience of having gone to Bosnia, gone to more than 80 countries, having represented the United States in so many different settings, gives me a tremendous advantage going into this campaign.”

Well, maybe not in the campaign, as it turned out.

But maybe, just perhaps, as secretary of state.

Comments

logicsound04 5 years, 4 months ago

"I say to you, if you can't identify slant, you have more of a partisan brain than me."-----------Well, that doesn't seem to be an issue. I already conceded that MSNBC has a liberal slant to it.======================"The op-ed's stink to high heaven with liberals in most media outlets."-----------So? They are opinion pages. It is NOT the news and it is not evidence of bias.======================"I don't know how much more proof I could provide than what I have in the past."-----------Well, here you and I agree. However, your next instance of "proof" (that the news media is liberally biased overall) will be your first.

jaywalker 5 years, 4 months ago

logicsound: "And personally, I don't think there is a good reason not to vote. Both campaigns promising something they couldn't deliver? Welcome to politics."Exactly! Hasn't been a single Prez who backed up every campaign promise. Fairly impossible to do so. And jonas is correct on the non-issue of animosity between the two during the primaries. Also par for the course, politics 101. BO would be foolish NOT to utilize Hillary in his admin, but I'm still interested in hearing opinions as to why she's a good fit for State. Anyone? Bueller?

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 4 months ago

Tom,I'm curious, do you think more liberal people choose journalism as a profession or that being a journalist leads one to more liberal views? Is it slanted journalism if the media reports more on a campaign that was well run and orchestrated than one that was not. For example, if one football team outscores its opponent by 50 points and used novel and innovative approaches to gain their lead, isn't the story going to necessarily have more focus on the team who scored the most points? The Democrats had the first African American as their nominee and used the internet and other technology as no campaign in the past has done. It is going to garner more attention. Earlier in this thread you asked why the Obama supporters were so quiet. I don't know that there is a lot for us to say. So far, he's selected members of his cabinet that both the left and right have also supported. Only time will tell whether the Obama administration will be able to make the positive changes they ran their campaign on. At times, you say that you'll give this new administration a chance to see what they can accomplish but then I hear the same rhetoric as before the election.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 4 months ago

OK, say what you will about me logic. I say to you, if you can't identify slant, you have more of a partisan brain than me. And that is just the straight news. The op-ed's stink to high heaven with liberals in most media outlets. I don't know how much more proof I could provide than what I have in the past. NBC, a liberal bastion, has to remove people from an election coverage desk for being too liberal ? Come on!

logicsound04 5 years, 4 months ago

Tommy Boy, just because you are unable to separate yourself from your rabid partisan attitude doesn't mean that no one else can.Only a simpleton would look at a person's individual political philosophy and assume that it meant that person was biased in their reporting of the news.I know it's hard to comprehend in your partisan-soaked brain, but most people are capable of drawing a line between their work duties and their personal beliefs in the name of professionalism.If you think there is a liberal bias in the news, then point out the ACTUAL bias, not just the political beliefs of the individuals who report the news. You're going to have to do more than make some weak inference of bias.At any rate, is 2004 really the best you can do?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

Eric Holder will be sure to get pardons for all the O'dude's minions who are popped for violations of election laws. That's what he does.

AjiDeGallina 5 years, 4 months ago

according to the recent polls, 78% of the nation supports clinton for this role.The other 22% kill puppies for fun.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 4 months ago

"...but I am so tired of this commonplace assertion that the bulk of the newsmedia leans left." denialsound04"It found that a majority of American journalists say they are liberals." http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1919999But, of course, even NPR, who I don't think is too rabidly left, has to question the data from a controlled study from the PEJ.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 4 months ago

Hypocrite, but then again as a politician we should expect nothing less.

beawolf 5 years, 4 months ago

Moderate1, are you a fool or just pretending to be one? Criticisms based on presumptions are biased and ignorant. There is no debate here. And yes, it will be 12 - 18 months before we see if Obama's strategies and policies will be effective or not. To assume otherwise is... well... biased and ignorant.

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

12-18 months? I thought it was in january '09 when he takes office.Why if someone criticizes our future leader they are biased and ignorant? Your comment sounds a little biased but not ignorant?

logicsound04 5 years, 4 months ago

"Logic just because I felt neither candidate deserved my vote all my comments are hollow please explain"-------------------Well, in all likelihood, the number of candidates that truly "deserve" our vote is probably fairly small.You still have to choose the one you see as most fit, otherwise you really have no place to complain.As an aside, including the NYT in your list of "left leaning" media is a joke. Yes, the opinion page of the Times is quite liberal, but the NEWS is objective. It is similar with the WSJ--a paper with a very right-leaning editorial page, but news reporting that is accurate and unbiased.I realize that there are philosophical leanings in the newsmedia (I more or less agree with you regarding MSNBC), but I am so tired of this commonplace assertion that the bulk of the newsmedia leans left.Also, I don't recall ever hearing MSNBC declare itself as bias-free, as FoxNews does on a regular basis. That, in and of itself, is dishonest and far worse than a network that leans one way or another, imho.

beawolf 5 years, 4 months ago

Well, this thread was entertaining. Why do Obama critics bring a chuckle every time I read their posts. I could care less who he appoints. Democrats, republicans, female or male, white, black, Latino, Clinton, Gates, centrists, conservative, liberal. All that matters are results, and we are 12-18 months away from being able to make any judgments.Those of you who are criticizing his choices before their actions can be judged, are only showing your own biased ignorance.But, please, continue. I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds these amusing.

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

Because most media outlets seem to lean to one side or the other. Was there something I missed? How is fox news corrupt?

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

what makes fox news corrupt and not msnbc nyt and other left leaning media

BigAl 5 years, 4 months ago

Off the subject a little bit but has anyone else noticed how the corrupt right-wing media continues to sell Sarah Palin? Almost every time I turn on Fox News, she is on the air in either a repeat or a new interview. Someone needs to tell FOX News that the election is over and that their party lost.Right now, important news of the day is not about Sarah Palin. Period. FOX needs to move on.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

Axelrod's puppet gets no honeymoon.

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

Maybe I criticize Barrack too much but he is in the spotlight.I really do hope he does the change he calls for because our educatoin system is failing same with health care and the economy.

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

beatriceneocons? who are you talking about? Religion and guns was this what we were talking about? No religion here.lol

blue73harley 5 years, 4 months ago

If the "reinventing" includes eliminating the pant-suits-from-hell, I'm all for it.

beatrice 5 years, 4 months ago

OMFG!Would you whiners please stop with the crocodile tears about how terrible the Obama administration is already, or at least wait until he actually becomes President! So people who were running against each other said some bad stuff during the campaign -- Oh NO!!!! And now, some Democrats being considered for various posts have ties to Clinton, the last Democrat who was President -- Oh NO!!!! Don't you neocons still have your guns and your religion to cling to? So go ahead and cling to them, but quit your whining already! You aren't acting like Americans, just a bunch of sore losers!

meggers 5 years, 4 months ago

moderate1,When has a president, (or other elected official for that matter) ever been able to keep every pledge made during the campaign? Never, that's when. If that's truly why you chose not to vote, I suspect you won't be voting at all, ever. I'm a bit perplexed. Unless I misread your post, you seem to agree with WHY Obama needs to be careful before making any sudden moves that might further destabilize the markets, but then you fault him for his caution. Just how do you think he should be proceeding at this point, or on January 20th?

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 4 months ago

If anyone wonders why some, almost half of voters (and at about 1 of 5 like me really skeptical) had alot of reason to believe BO was alot of BS, think about Rev. Wright and BO and his wife sponging up that hateful crap for 20 years. If hating Bush was the predominant force in electing BO, god help us all. I still think he deserves his chance, and if he turns out to be great, I'll be the first one to say, "OK fine".

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

that's exactly what I'm saying meggers, but when he gets elected saying one thing and figures out later that he can't do what he said right away that makes me wonder if he knows what is really going on. I'm sure if Mcsame was elected you guys would be the first to cry foul if he deviated from what he got elected for.

logicsound04 5 years, 4 months ago

"I'm sorry logic if I don't conform to your idea of being moderate I didn't even vote this election because I both campaigns promised something they couldn't deliver."--------------It's not about conforming to a certain idea of "moderate". I don't really know where you stand on major political issues at any rate.What makes you come across as less than moderate is a seeming refusal to give Obama a chance to be an effective President.And personally, I don't think there is a good reason not to vote. Both campaigns promising something they couldn't deliver? Welcome to politics.If you weren't into what McCain and Obama were selling, then go vote independent or write-in. Abstaining from the process is literally doing NOTHING about the situation. It kind of makes your complaints seem hollow.

meggers 5 years, 4 months ago

Obama never promised us a perfect world, moderate1. He spoke at length about the enormous challenges we face, and how it wouldn't be easy to overcome them. The 'Chosen One' and 'Messiah' stuff came from the people who didn't and do not support Obama. The rest of us have no illusions about how difficult it's going to be to steer us out of the mess we're in. Given the overall volatility of the markets, I think it's absolutely vital that Obama tread very carefuly at this stage. He has said that while he has an ambitious set of initiatives, he recognizes that it's important to prioritize those that will have both a short and long-term benefit to the economy. As for the tax initiatives Obama would like to implement, I believe they will happen, but for pretty obvious reasons, it would be incredibly risky to play games with investor confidence at this particular time. Also, not to split hairs too much, but Obama is actually only suggesting a repeal of the Bush tax policies. Even if legislation isn't passed in the next couple of years, they will expire on their own in 2010. Obama merely indicated that if the markets continue to be unpredictable, it might be necessary to delay passing the tax legislation, and instead, allow the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy to expire when scheduled in 2010. If the markets were to crash, any economic policies designed to help the consumer would be completely overshadowed by the far-reaching financial devastation the global economy will endure. I don't think Obama is trying to sidestep the issue. Instead, he's being pragmatic about his words and actions, and the potential that they could cause an unwanted domino effect. Priority one needs to be to stabilize the markets.

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

I do lean a little to the right considering where were at right now. I voted for Bill Clinton in '96, there are other reasons I'm moderate (womens rights, education, war in Iraq and in other areas too).I'm sorry logic if I don't conform to your idea of being moderate I didn't even vote this election because I both campaigns promised something they couldn't deliver.

logicsound04 5 years, 4 months ago

"And my 6:11 says I'm bitterly partisan?"-------------No, not that one specifically.However, your 7:59 (resident lefties....crush on...BO), and your 12:10 (far-left in a panic...) do an effective job of making up the deficiency.Even people who agree with you recognize your partisan rancor Tommy Boy.

logicsound04 5 years, 4 months ago

You need to change your screenname moderate1.Perhaps "moderate"1 would be better.Where else besides directly from Obama would you expect to get information regarding his plans to implement his policies?If you truly think that Obama promised us a "perfect world", you are guilty of learning about Obama through John McCain's campaign ads.He is the next president. Get over it. At least try to pretend like you support your president--can't you wait until he actually messes up before declaring him incompetent?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

The O'dude's cargo cult is going to be greatly disappointed.

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

He says he wants to raise taxes on corperate America and raise capitol gaines taxes on investments to make his voter base happy. After the election he realized what that will do to foreign and domestic investments so he released a statement stating he will hold off on raising those taxes till or markets could handle it. He was clearly against Bush's trickle down effect on taxes but not now?My point is that Barrack promised us a perfect world (gov't health care, getting out of Iraq, spreading the wealth, getting off of foreign oil) with his campaing speeches, now that he's been elected (I know he hasn't taken office yet meggers) in the press releases that I've seen and read, alot of that stuff might not happen in his first term. That is why I want specifics. Maybe if he had a crystal ball he wouldn't have promised us so much.

Koolaid 5 years, 4 months ago

VP Chenney is going to resign this week so the President can grant him a Pardon. Condi Rice will be nominated for the VP position. Upon her confirmation Pres. Bush will resign. Rice will Pardon both. She will be the first woman and the first black to be president. That would be reality!

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 4 months ago

Oh and meggers, me not in touch with reality? Honestly, sometimes I wish I was not in touch with reality. It would save me from the desire to even get on this site and "rant". Believe me, I'm acutely aware of the reality of what has been/what is going on in this not-so-soon-to-not-be-great nation.

meggers 5 years, 4 months ago

I, too, like ot get my news from a variety of sources. Believe it or not, I get a great deal of my info from CSPAN. You accused Obama of not giving specifics, which is why I directed you to his website for specifics. Obama has given specific proposals with regard to the ecomony (tax cuts for the middle class, an economic stimulous package, auto bailout, incentives for green techology, relief for homeowners facing foreclosure, etc). Perhaps things aren't as specific as you would like, due to the ever-changing volatility of the markets right now. I think he would need a crystal ball to see what things will look like January 20th, when he's actually sworn in.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 4 months ago

"Some people are bitterly partisan to the point that they would apparently prefer to be led off of a cliff, rather than shown the trail by a member of the opposing party. I believe Tom Shewman easily falls within that category, making his postings here little more than the hysterical rantings of someone that has sadly lost touch with reality." -meggersAnd my 6:11 says I'm bitterly partisan? I'm not the far-left in a panic they won't get what they thought they voted for. I think you need to look at the Al Frankens, Michael Moores, moveons, dailkos, Alec Baldwins, Sean Penns, The "Peiw" Ladies, most the on-air staff at NBC, CNN, NYT, LAT and most media outlets including most metro newspapers and on and on etc etc etc in the liberal elite media/entertainment industry to see bitter partisanship----certainly before the election---now uncertainty and a feeling of being duped.

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

I like to get my news from all areas left and right not just msnbc and change.gov

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

change.gov is just preaching to the choir

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm sure you would have believed everything Bush's election website said back in '04. I have read some of the info there but it seems vague in some areas like economy.

meggers 5 years, 4 months ago

moderate1,www.change.govThe info is there, you just need to look. Sorry, I'm not doing your homework for you.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey Jonathan...How about a 'Foley enhanced' option? People can choose their own sound effect to play with their comment.

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

I know he isn't in office yet but I'm going off what he said he plans to do. I figured most people would know what I mean.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

meggers, get ready for x number of years of ODS. What goes around, comes around.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 4 months ago

Now if I could just get the 'punch and crash' soundtrack from old John Wayne barfights to play while I read these posts..that would be somethin'.Chairs breaking, mirrors shattering, bodies heaved through windows into watering troughs.

I'm knew I would'nt get a striaght answer. Thanx meggers

meggers 5 years, 4 months ago

moderate1,You might want to check out the change.gov website. You will find specifics there about the agenda and priorities of Obama's administration.Also, forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but it isn't constitutionally possible for him to sign and implement any of his initiatives until he's actually sworn in to office.

moderate1 5 years, 4 months ago

Change? Obama preached so much change until he won the election, he still hasn't set a deadline to withdraw from Iraq, nothing on how we could convert alot of our cars and 18 wheelers to natural gas and electric, just that we will be off foreign oil in 10 years? Our economy, the only plan more gov't spending to fix our roads and bridges(that might take years to take effect) but he plans to cut gov't spending? He lacks real substance so far. Hopefully he will create a turn around and get us out of this downward spiral. I think he meant just CHANGE from republican control not bi-partisan change.

meggers 5 years, 4 months ago

Most experienced public policy democrats with national expertise and experience in a given area have had some association with the Clinton White House- that's just the way it is. The same people criticizing Obama for appointing these experienced individuals would have been screaming from the rooftops had he tried to appoint a bunch of rookies. I have a feeling that Obama could come out in 100% support of some of the positions espoused by certain posters here, yet they would still find fault with him. Some people are bitterly partisan to the point that they would apparently prefer to be led off of a cliff, rather than shown the trail by a member of the opposing party. I believe Tom Shewman easily falls within that category, making his postings here little more than the hysterical rantings of someone that has sadly lost touch with reality.

logicsound04 5 years, 4 months ago

"Sorta comical how the resident lefties who developed a serious crush on and went gaga over BO for the most part won't touch a BO story now post-election."-----------What, exactly, is there in this story to touch?Besides your antagonistic ramblings....

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

It's quite possible that since the O'dude has immediately set about running for a higher office each time he has won an election that he now hasn't the faintest idea of what to actually do.

madmike 5 years, 4 months ago

Meet the new boss...Same as the old boss!

BigAl 5 years, 4 months ago

All I hear is wah, wah, wah from you right wingers. Most of America, including John McCain, is trying to move forward. The majority of Americans are pretty excited about the direction Obama is going with his cabinet and committee picks. Even some of the corrupt right-wing media is holding back.I wish you O'Reilly and Hannity worshipers would get out of the way. America is trying to make a comeback and you people are holding us back......

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 4 months ago

While it is easy to conclude that Obama will merely recycle the policies of the Clinton Administration, it's really to early to tell.It's quite possible that he's making these appointments just so that the inside-the-beltway crowd are comfortable at seeing familiar faces. If he tries to make too many big changes too quickly, he'll almost certainly meet with great resistance, among both Republicans and Democrats. Any changes he does make will have to be gradual, and well-planned. Washington doesn't like shock therapy, even if that's what's really needed.All the Clintonites have a new boss, and they'll either do it his way, or they'll be looking for a job. What "his way" is is pure speculation at this point.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

O'dude's administration = Clinton Lite

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 4 months ago

Yea, and I posted knowing full well that it would entice a sycophant or two to comment on me rather that the subject of the thread.

madmike 5 years, 4 months ago

RT, You did that, knowing full well that Bozo would go after it like a bass after a shiny lure!

jimincountry 5 years, 4 months ago

Obama is slicker than Bill Clinton. He's beguiling the press and others with these appointments while plotting to install his agents without notice. Given time his real agenda will surface and we won't like it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 4 months ago

" If the name “Bush” was in the headline, regardless of the content of the story, it would be at 30-40 posts by now. "What's your point? It has been among the most corrupt and incompetent in US history. That makes thinking people angry. You should try it sometime, RT.

jonas_opines 5 years, 4 months ago

Is anyone surprised by this anymore? It happens with virtually every election.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 4 months ago

Sorta comical how the resident lefties who developed a serious crush on and went gaga over BO for the most part won't touch a BO story now post-election. If the name "Bush" was in the headline, regardless of the content of the story, it would be at 30-40 posts by now. This will likely change in, oh, about 6-8 months. Who's ready?

Koolaid 5 years, 4 months ago

ROTFLMAO Change...there's a sucker born every minute.

jmadison 5 years, 4 months ago

I guess those 3AM phone calls will be shunted to Hilary by the White House switchboard. Sweet dreams, Mr. President.

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if BO should be looking to the George Soros /moveon.org bubble next time around for a whole lot of support. Doesn't mean he may not be a good president...just saying.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081130/ap_on_el_pr/obama_left_or_center

Tom Shewmon 5 years, 4 months ago

Here's that change BO kept talking about. Everyone happy?