Archive for Thursday, August 28, 2008

Barack Obama wins historic nomination

Sen. Barack Obama, right, makes a surprise appearance with his running mate, Sen. Joe Biden, Wednesday at the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

August 28, 2008

Election 2008

In-depth coverage of the candidates and the issues, all leading up to the Aug. 5 primary and the Nov. 4 general election.

Sen. Barack Obama completed an improbable and historic journey Wednesday when he was nominated by acclamation as the Democratic candidate for president, becoming the first black man to lead a major political party into a general election campaign.

Sen. Joe Biden also accepted the vice presidential nomination, and former President Bill Clinton gave Obama an unqualified endorsement.

Obama makes history

Barack Obama made history on Wednesday as the first black American to be the presidential candidate of a major political party.

Comments

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

Lulu is talking about Obama... not W. The issue is the criteria a person uses to decide how to cast his/her vote. Warm feelings and great dreams are not particularly strong reasons.

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

Tom:I hear Toyota Motor Co./Lexus is usually pretty reasonable about warranty squabbles and even out of warranty issues. In keeping with the typical liberal/conservative bickering; just how many Lexuses (whatever the plural of Lexus is...) do you own? ;-)Good luck.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Keep up the song that racism, hatred & ignorance are the only reasons not to fall at the feet of the O'dude. That'll play well with the moderates who will decide this election. Not.

jayhawklawrence 6 years, 7 months ago

I watched John F. Kennedy being sworn into office and I understand what Ted Kennedy is trying to say. I saw Martin Luther King, Jr and his marches and his speech in Washington D.C. I saw him slain and I saw Bobby slain.I am a proud citizen of Lawrence, KS. A town founded by abolitionists who hated slavery. I live in the state where John Brown lived and raised his family.This is a community where people were martyred because they believed in freedom for all people, regardless of race.We should recognize this day as one of the greatest days in the history of America.An African-American is accepting the nomination for President of the United States of America. I am a white man who loves the ideals of this nation.Thank you God.

BigPrune 6 years, 7 months ago

Well, one thing I know for sure, Obama is capable of bilocation of being in two places at the same time. He was in Kansas City and St. Louis at the same time. Our Obama, who art from heaven, or Hawaii,or Chicago, or possibly Kenya,Liberal be thy name, Thy presidency come, Thy will be done, On Earth, as it is in San Francisco.Give us this day our daily handouts.And forgive us our individualism,As we forgive those who don't properly inflate their tires.And lead us not into the Clintons,But deliver us from McCainFor thine is the kingdom,and the power, and the glory,for two full terms.Amen.

chet_larock 6 years, 7 months ago

"He is the most left-leaning nominee from a major political party in our history."Translation: I am so far over the right extremist wingnut edge, I have no objectivity left and refuse to see past anything I don't hear from my far-right extremist wingnut blogs and talking heads.

Confrontation 6 years, 7 months ago

I love to see the white males getting nervous. Where is their supreme power going? Pretty soon, "White Power" will be as important as building another roundabout in Lawrence. Their daughters might date non-white men. Their wives might leave them for someone with a little more oomph. They might have to respect minorities for something other than athletics. The humanity! Oh, the slipperly slope of losing white power!

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 7 months ago

What has always puzzled me about 'race' in America is embodied by the comments on this thread. Obama has African ancestry, but he also has an equal amount of European ancestry. In my opinion, to call him black doesn't make much sense. One could just as legitimately call him a Caucasian, as far as heritage goes.What if Obama had two parents of European origin, but he had three grandparents of European origin and one of African origin? Would we call him 'black'?

beatrice 6 years, 7 months ago

Or did you just forget to act like an adult?

Navin_R_Johnson 6 years, 7 months ago

jayhawklawrence (Anonymous) says: "We should recognize this day as one of the greatest days in the history of America."why? because only the left happens to notice a person's race? what happened to a color-blind vision for America? to vote for a person because of their race, gender or religion is bigotry plain and simple.

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

Logan 72... I agree that we should appreciate cultural differences and be aware of our ancestry. Many of us love the Greek and Italian fairs, German and Mexican food, the Scottish games and take pride in watching the ceremonies of England, etc. We celebrate holidays according to our beliefs and family background. My point is the need to judge a person on his/her leadership potential rather than blindly vote for someone with a particular racial or religious background regardless of qualifications or experience. In the workplace, we are not allowed to use race, religion, ethnicity or gender as criteria for hiring. Why should the color of either candidate's skin be a factor in who we vote for?

beatrice 6 years, 7 months ago

Tom: "My point is, just really how stupid are Obamamaniacs/Democrats/far-left/liberals?"So your point is a question. Fair enough. The answer is, of course, we are not stupid at all. We support a candidate who has the desire and the will to change the course of our country from one of too much debt being placed on the shoulders of future generations, too much military action when military action isn't needed, too much maverick gung-ho macho war-like mentality, too much cronyism, too much lobbyist influence, too much favoratism for the wealthy at the expense of everyone else, and too much listening to just one group of conservatives. The fact that you are getting information from Rush Limbaugh speaks volumes. The things he has said about McCain aren't particularly kind either. Regarding experience, George Bush has 8 years of experience -- as President! How much do you think he has learned from this Presidential experience that would make him an effective President? If it were allowed, would you vote for him because of this experience alone? Didn't think so. Obama brings much to the table. McCain, not so much. He called to attack Iraq almost immediately after 9/11, claiming that the attack would take far fewer troops than in 1991, and we know that he is interested in attacking Iran. As I've read elsewhere, if the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, every problem will look like a nail. Vote Obama. His toolbox is full. tony88: Please stop trying to paint McCain as unpatriotic. He is a true patriot and an American hero who has given much to our country. However, he is too much in line with the current administration's objectives, and he is too far past his prime. We don't need a "maverick," especially when he acts like a side-kick. We can't afford another Bush term, even if it is just Bush "like." Obama / Biden 2008!

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

Tom:We had a similar experience with a car we leased. It was a three year lease and the factory tires were shot with less than 15K. Fortunately I noticed the wear at about 10K and had the car alignment checked-all was good. The dealer pointed at the tire manufacturer for a soft compound to enhance the ride and they pointed back at the manufacturer for faulty suspension design, etc. I told both entities I didn't know/care who was responsible, but we were able to show the car was in alignment at 10K and 15K, so it's not on us.We went through 2 more sets of tires before taking the car back at the end of the 48K lease. Fortunately I kept checking the alignment and was able to push back effectively on each occasion. It probably also helped that the tires had 60K mileage warranties.If the car was in alignment or was reasonably close, i.e. no significant toe-in issues when you had it checked in June, I'd stick to your guns. The car simply shouldn't have worn the tires this way in the absence of significant mis-alignment. I think Lexus would respond effectively to your willingness to lease a nice car from Infinity or BMW, etc. As for the elitist comments, drive whatever you want. I wish I still had my F-150.

Scott Drummond 6 years, 7 months ago

"We need a commander-in-chief and a strong leader, not a rock-star celebrity leading our country."JFK kinda had that rock star celebrity thing going, how'd he do with the Russians? Reagan, you know, come to think of it, he kind of had a celebrity thing going too. Clinton, no doubting his rock star charisma & he sure enough delivered some good years during his turn. Hey, I'm sensing a pattern here. This celebrity star power thing has worked pretty well for us. We pretty much know what 4 more years of Grampy McSame is going to be like. Let's choose the cool guy instead.By the way, I see Russia chose not to listen to McCain and bush's bluster on recognizing the two breakaway regions as independent countries. Guess that is yet another example of their impotent approach to foreign policy.

Polly_Gomer 6 years, 7 months ago

Tom Shewmon (right_thinker) says:"...but today had to drop our Lexus off for service:"Most people who have any class at all just refer to their cars as cars. You are insecure enough to have to mention that it is a Lexus. No class."This Obama thing is beyone bizarre..." Do you mean Bayonne? It's a New Jersey thing then?

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

Obama certainly is a charasmatic teleprompter reader. The true test will come in the debate process. I can hardly wait. Obama: Ah-ah-ah- well, that kind of ah-ah-ah decision is ah-ah-aha above my pay grade.

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

1029, I saw only one comment about the Lexus that could be construed as "ragging" on Tom-Polly_Gomer's. The latter part of my 3:03 post was in jest. I trust Tom realized that-if not, it's out there now. Your comments regarding feeling "like my conservative beliefs were being threatened as I learned more and more about the greater world around me" and "...that no amount of education would ever take my conservative values from me..." are interesting albeit somewhat unusual given the personal growth and development most individuals typically undergo in institutions of higher education. Many students benefit from the give and take intellectual challenges of higher education as they introspectively challenge their beliefs as well as those of others. They still have the opportunity to nurture and develop conservative values despite the immersion in higher education.Or they could reject the opportunity for exposure to greater understanding even if attained in the face of disagreement, as well as consideration of differing opinions, mindsets and cultures and just dismiss it all as a boatload of liberal... what is it Marion calls it? Ah yes, biosolids.

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

OK... the door to discrimination has been closed with Obama's nomination. Now what... will he have what it takes to develop "real" policies that change the lives of Americans for the better? Or, will he continue to rant about how his name is different, the color of his skin is different than others on our currency, etc.? Give us something to work with Obama. Stop the fuzzy blathering and give us some straight talk. Give us some reason to vote for you.

Navin_R_Johnson 6 years, 7 months ago

beatrice 6 years, 7 months ago

Tony, Is there video of McCain saying he didn't like "greeks" (that is the word, is it not)? That could be worthwhile. Sorry I misread the message. There is just so many things to call McCain on, I really think his signing things apparently under duress while a prisoner or worrying about where he was born to American military parents which has already been cleared through the courts is of little help to the cause. If you have proof of the "greek" stuff, however, show it. Also, did you know he turns 72 tomorrow. That is well past the mandatory age of retirement for members of the military. His advance age is a concern for many, and I'm not afraid to admit that it is a concern of mine. His vp pick had better be somebody really special -- like Hillary Clinton perhaps. I know people have called me ageist for this view, which I can accept. This means our military is ageist as well. At some point I'll bet we all can be considered ageist. I mean, would people be comfortable voting for a President if he were 80? How about 90? At some point, we all are ageist.

ndmoderate 6 years, 7 months ago

"whatever the plural of Lexus is:"Lexi?

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

barrypenders.... great question. Wonder if anyone can give an objective answer that is not simply an attack on you personally. We'll see.

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

Going back to the African-American label some attach to Obama, did you know that:"Obama, the son of a white woman from Kansas and a black man from Kenya, can call six U.S. Presidents, including George W. Bush, his cousins.Meanwhile, McCain is a sixth cousin of First Lady Laura Bush.Child said that while the candidates often focus on pointing out differences between them, their ancestry shows they are more alike than they think."It shows that lots of different people can be related; people you wouldn't necessarily expect," he said.Obama has the most prolific presidential lineage, featuring Democrats and Republicans.His distant cousins include President George W. Bush and his father, George H.W. Bush, as well as Gerald Ford, Harry S Truman and James Madison.Obama often jokes on the campaign trail about earlier genealogical surveys that have tied him to Vice President Dick Cheney, saying he wishes he could be related to someone "cooler."It's all good, Barack - your family tree includes civil rights-era President Lyndon Johnson, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.Clinton has a touch of British blood in her veins as well - she's a distant cousin of Camilla Parker Bowles, wife of Prince Charles of England, and beatnik author Jack Kerouac." (Source; Google: Obama Genealogy)So much for labels.

Lulu 6 years, 7 months ago

I have always been a Hillary Clinton fan and was very disappointed in her loss. Lately I've taken to Barack. I keep having dreams about him. My womyn friends tell me they are having dreams of him as well. He is a beautiful man. I haven't experienced these kinds of feelings since Bill Clinton was president. If he is change we can believe in then I believe he is the change I'm experiencing deep within.

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

LOL BigPrune ;-) Here's something else to chuckle about:Our McCain, who art from the Panama Canal Zone (we think),"Maverick" (you know, just like Tom Cruise in "Top Gun") be thy name,Thy presidency won't come,Thy will won't be done,On Earth, or in any place other than one of your many homes.Take from us this day our middle class economic stability.And forgive us our corporate greed and Big Oil record profits despite the suffering inflicted,As we forgive those who don't understand the overwhelming financial significance of federal gas tax holidays.And lead us not into the Oval Office,But deliver us from the Retirement HomeFor thine is the kingdom,and the power, and the glory,just like the last 8 years.

beatrice 6 years, 7 months ago

bad_dog, um, yes, I know. Poco: "I wonder how many liberals had warm fuzzy feelings on Sept. 11, 2001? We need a commander-in-chief and a strong leader ..." None had a warm fuzzy feeling. Shame on you for suggesting such a thing. Did conservatives have a warm fuzzy feeling when the Murrah building was attacked on April 19, 1995, by home-grown conservative freaks? Hell no. We are Americans first. Remember that, child. Unfortunately, when we were attacked on 9/11, we had George Bush in office, and John McCain was calling for war against Iraq even before Bush, even though they did not attack us! McCain has proven that he is not up for the job. Because of the Republican "leadership" in office at the time, they trumped up charges against Iraq and ignored intelligence, all of which was fully supported by McCain the entire time, Osama bin Laden is still at large! You want to talk about leadership on 9/11, then lets ask the questions -- Where were the WMDs? Has invading Iraq made us safer? Where is Osama bin Laden?Thank you for making the case that McCain is not the right person for the job. Obama for President! We can't afford another yahoo.

1029 6 years, 7 months ago

Interesting that the liberals rag on Tom for mentioning that he owns a Lexus. Usually it's the liberals who think that they are somehow elite just because they tend to be more intelligent than conservatives. I don't think life is just about how smart you are and I am proud to be a conservative. I went to college for a few years but constantly felt like my conservative beliefs were being threatened as I learned more and more about the greater world around me. The point is I learned to be happy with my life and to appreciate the simple things and be proud of my conservativism. I decided then and there that no amount of education would ever take my conservative values from me, which is exactly why we shouldn't judge people because of there automobiles.

beatrice 6 years, 7 months ago

45 years ago today, Martin Luther King, Jr., gave his "I have a dream!" speech. Today, a part of that dream is being realized. But it is only a part. Now, Obama must follow through. Even if you disagree with Obama's politics, I think most rational people will realize the historical nature of his nomination. This is a glorious moment we are witnessing that will reap great rewards for future generations. When all children can honestly feel that they can indeed grow up to be whomever they choose and can follow a career path wherever it may lead, that is a wonderful thing. This nomination takes us all a step closer to making one man's dream expressed 45 years ago a reality for us all.

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

"It looks as if Biden has committed plagiarism yet again."-rrRestorereason: 17 June 2008 @ 4:15 p.m."bad_dog:You stated one cliche. I stated another saying that is based on that cliche (I actually got the saying from the Parting Shots section of the American Legion magazine, so I guess you'll now attack the veterans who publish that).So, one more try, Bozo made the same accusation but, when challenged, could not cite a single example of where I distorted the facts. Can you?"Pertinent portions of bad_dog's response @ 4:51:"Whether you invented another "saying" and try to pass it off as the original or plagiarized it from the American Legion magazine makes no difference to me. As I stated above, if you want to create your own cliche mill, have at it. If, however, you are quoting someone or something, say so and don't try to pass your distortions off as the original product or attribute a different meaning to it.I've proven my point regarding your distortion. You evaded and attempted to obfuscate the issue until confessing you committed plagiarism at the eleventh hour."

beatrice 6 years, 7 months ago

RR, who is this Messiah you speak of? Have you found religion or something? Next week, the Republicans will also make history -- by nominating the oldest person ever to run for a first term as president.

chet_larock 6 years, 7 months ago

"...Bush's alleged cocaine use, but are now silent even after the Messiah has admitted to using cocaine and marijuana for several years. He may still be using those drugs.""Well, if he is then Bush is still drinking and blowing lines, you dolt.

BigPrune 6 years, 7 months ago

I blame Joe Biden for my behavior, bad dog.

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

Is it time to drop the "African-American" label? Can't we say a person is an American period. If we are to be color-blind (and we should), why label anyone. Clint talks about how we will explain voting against the first "African-American". Will I also have to explain why I voted against an Irish-American, a couple of blue-blooded English-Americans, several Protestant-Americans, a Scottish-American, etc.??? I didn't vote against them because of the origin of their parents, I voted against them because I did not believe in their policies or trusted another candidate to lead our country toward a better future. Will we ever get away from racial discrimination or racial preference based upon parental origin? Will we ever look at the person and vote according to how well we believe the person is qualified and what kind of leader he or she will be? Discrimination based upon age is also wrong. McCain may be older, but the question is whether or not voters believe he can or cannot do the job.

Confrontation 6 years, 7 months ago

Hmmm...I wonder what Tom knows about fingering and gay men....

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 7 months ago

Poco,I personally don't believe it is possible to be color-blind or that we should be color-blind. Human beings categorize people and objects in order to make sense of a complex world. It is not the categorizing that is the problem. The problem is favoring one category or group over another. For me, the goal would be to value and respect different races, ethnicities, religious and political beliefs, sexual orientation and gender. Just as each child in a family should be valued as unique individuals, so should groups of people in our very diverse country. The myth of the melting pot society is simply that. People in society do have commonalities but also want to hold on to their histories and their ancestors. Rather than melting together was one "grey race", why can't we appreciate our differences?

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

Restore:I've got nothing to be steamed up about. You lost the argument-not me-as evidenced by your failure to address or refute at that time.And yes, I do know what plagiarism is do you? Here's an assist for you: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/plagiarismAs for the merits of resurfacing old posts at this time, I only brought it up because you were spouting off about plagiarism. If you feel that strongly about Biden just flunk him in your "course" and move on to something more substantive. Given how well you play with others on the cyber playground, you would do well to heed your own advice regarding growing up.Later...

BigPrune 6 years, 7 months ago

McCain still leads in the electoral college and in the polls. This is historic in that it is the first time since polling began, that a nominated choice for president has not seen a bump at all but a drop in the polls at convention time. Dream on libs. Obama doesn't have a chance.What would happen if McCain picks Condaleeza Rice as his VP choice? snark, snark. The racism card could no longer be played, that's for sure.

chet_larock 6 years, 7 months ago

"Mr. Barry Penders, the only thing that could exalt Obama to even higher Messianic status with the lefty loon is if he was gay. A gay black man; the far-lefts' dream candidate."The far-right's dream candidate: A former drunkard playboy ex-cheerleader who delighted in sending prisoners to their deaths at the hand of the state, ran every business he touched into the ground, and who had virtually no experience in leadership, being the coddled figurehead governor of a barely governed state.Unless McCain is your dream candidate.

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

What's a dictionary squirt? I recommend "Miss Manners" for your bedtime reading.

beatrice 6 years, 7 months ago

Funny to be picked on by jaywalker, yet he regularly passes right over the claims of calling Senator Obama "Messiah." But then, only conservatives are repeating that silly mantra, so I guess he misses how it might be considered insulting. Nobody among the Democrats is anticipating his walking on water -- just change for the better. Some people prefer not to change, and to continue going in the direction we are headed. They are called McCain supporters. And is it not historical that the GOP will nominate the oldest person EVER for either major party for a first term president? Some might consider this a great thing that the GOP is nominating a 72 year old white male. Jaywalker, don't you think it a great thing that the GOP will nominate a 72 year old?

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

bea-Tony88 was referring to a slang term for North Vietnamese, not Greeks.

chet_larock 6 years, 7 months ago

"I couldn't help but wonder..." and that's all this is. Another wingnut swipe. Keep blathering wingnuts. We'll see how much you'll want to compare VP picks soon.

jaywalker 6 years, 7 months ago

"Next week, the Republicans will also make history - by nominating the oldest person ever to run for a first term as president"And next year, maybe, hopefully, beatrice will post something new, rather than the same old tired magoo we've come to expect from her.Congrats to BO, it is a special day in American history. Bring on the debates, anxious to see them square off without prompters and get to something with substance.

Navin_R_Johnson 6 years, 7 months ago

BigPrune (Anonymous) says: "What would happen if McCain picks Condaleeza Rice as his VP choice? snark, snark. The racism card could no longer be played, that's for sure."exactly prune, but be careful pointing out the obvious hypocrisies of the left or you might get your comment pulled in true leftist/Marxist fashion when forced to face "inconvenient truths."

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

RR:Oh, now I understand. You were trying to call me a name again via a declaratory statement. I thought your comment "dictionary squirt" was a noun followed by the verb "squirt". You know, like everybody stand up and do the "dictionary squirt". Thanks for clearing that up for me.

jaywalker 6 years, 7 months ago

"It is sad to see the vitriol from the far-right loons, with arguments based in racism, hatred and ignorance"It is sad to see the ignorance spewed forth by Cliff, with arguments based in ...... wait.... what argument? What the hell are you babbling about? The KKK, racism, blah blah blah..... noone on this string has brought up race in any fashion other than to say they were happy an African-American got the nomination. What color is the sky in your world, Gentry?Now, for all your holier than thou blather, an apparent white man that is willing to paint a political ideology as a racist cabal, with no apparent care for how moronic you sound, don't you think the standard which should be celebrated is that BO is just an American? Scream about how far WE'VE come when you lose the hyphens, cuz 'til we do it's still a subtle form of segregation and separation.

jhwk2008 6 years, 7 months ago

BigPrune says:"McCain still leads in the electoral college and in the polls. This is historic in that it is the first time since polling began, that a nominated choice for president has not seen a bump at all but a drop in the polls at convention time."Where are these "polls" you speak of? Fox News? Obama is up 48-42 today in the Rasmussen Daily Tracking poll. Realclearpolitics.com has Obama winning the general election 273 - 265, before the POST convention bump. Furthermore, I guarantee Obama gets an even bigger bump when W and Cheney speak at the Republican convention.

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

Lulu... I sure hope there is some degree of sarcasm in your message... I'm looking for it. My gosh, you're sounding like some of the main-stream male press members who claim to have hot flashes along their legs when they see/hear Obama. If votes are based upon body temperature changes and dreams of a "beautiful man", then liberals are more shallow and misguided than I originally believed. I wonder how many liberals had warm fuzzy feelings on Sept. 11, 2001? We need a commander-in-chief and a strong leader, not a rock-star celebrity leading our country. It should be interesting to watch Obama tonight in his Greek Temple designed by Britney Spear's team member. Turn down the thermostats liberals....and dream away.

Larry Bauerle Jr. 6 years, 7 months ago

I have yet to finalize my choice, though I am leaning toward Obama, but we can't deny how amazing and wonderful it is to finally open up the process to include everyone. As a nation, there is a lot yet to do, but this is an historical event.

Navin_R_Johnson 6 years, 7 months ago

Pywacket (Anonymous) says:"Your move, idiot.No, wait. I believe that was checkmate."sure, i'm checkmated pywacket as long as you play alone and make your own rules up. there's nothing in your comment that causes any reasonable person to change their mind and overlook the fact that you are voting for a candidate because of his race. oh, and feel free to call me "idiot," i'm used to being caricatured and bombarded with hysterical pejoratives by leftists as opposed to actually being answered.

BigAl 6 years, 7 months ago

The far right wackos are out this morning. These people take shots at Joe Biden while supporting a man like Dick "5 deferment" Cheney. The far right has made a living out of "gotcha" politics. And now they are even turning a great American like John McCain into one of their own. They are pathetic.but, but Clinton.

chet_larock 6 years, 7 months ago

bea - I'm giving tony88 the benefit of the doubt -- I don't think tony88 was trying to paint McSame as unpatriotic, he was just bringing up the fact that if there are questions about Obama's US citizenship, then there can certainly be questions about McSame's citizenship

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

"Our Obama, who art from heaven, blah, blah, blah."Just provide the link to Hannity BigPrune, it's easier to scroll past your comments more quickly that way. Or were you trying to convince us this little homily was your creation? That would be plagiarism, you know.

ndmoderate 6 years, 7 months ago

Was it this line, Ag?"John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell - but he won't even go to the cave where he lives."

acoupstick 6 years, 7 months ago

"This country is history, I am looking to relocate."The best news I've heard today.

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

....McCain won't go to the cave where he lives....Instead of playing the rock star in Germany, why didn't Obam-ah-ah visit Bin Laden in the cave where he lives? Or was he already there once when he traveled to Pakistan, etc. on his "other" passport.

bad_dog 6 years, 7 months ago

"What would happen if McCain picks Condaleeza Rice as his VP choice? snark, snark. The racism card could no longer be played, that's for sure."No, but it sure plays 2 part harmony in the "Same Old McSame" song. Maybe she can just trade places with Cheney in the new regime?

jd 6 years, 7 months ago

Looks like another young, good looking, well spoken but extremely unqualified man once again beat out an older, more experienced and better qualified woman.

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

Sarah Palin.... VP.... way to go McCain. Obama didn't dare nominate a woman, but McCain has chosen a fine woman to serve as VP.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Chicago-style politics:"The Obama campaign - which has emissaries appearing everywhere - declined Rosenberg's invitation to have a representative appear on the program and respond to Kurtz's factual assertions. The campaign did, however, issue an "Obama Action Wire" that encouraged supporters to contact the program (telephone information was provided) and use scripted "talking points" to disrupt Kurtz's appearance, which it deemed "unacceptable." As the Politico's Ben Smith reported, the campaign also urged supporters to demand that Rosenberg scrap the appearance of Kurtz, whom the campaign libeled as a "smear-merchant" and a "slimy character assassin." The rant was reminiscent of the work of the left-wing media "watch-dog" Media Matters for America.Other than denigrating Kurtz for being conservative, Obama's operatives have provided no response to the substance of his claims. In their only pretense of engaging him, they accuse him of telling "a flat out lie" that Ayers recruited Obama for the CAC. Though it is a reasonable inference that Ayers recruited Obama, the careful Kurtz has stopped short of making it - observing only that Obama offers no explanation of how he was recruited if not through Ayers, his friend and the CAC's driving force.The station, WGN, has made a stream of the broadcast available online, here, and it has to be heard to be believed. Obama's robotic legions dutifully jammed the station's phone lines and inundated the program with emails, attacking Kurtz personally. Pressed by Rosenberg to specify what inaccuracies Kurtz was guilty of, caller after caller demurred, mulishly railing that "we just want it to stop," and that criticism of Obama was "just not what we want to hear as Americans." Remarkably, as Obama sympathizers raced through their script, they echoed the campaign's insistence that it was Rosenberg who was "lowering the standards of political discourse" by having Kurtz on, rather than the campaign by shouting him down.Kurtz has obviously hit a nerve. It is the same nerve hit by the American Issues Project, whose television ad calling for examination of the Obama/Ayers relationship has prompted the Obama campaign to demand that the Justice Department begin a criminal investigation. Obama fancies himself as "post-partisan." He is that only in the sense that he apparently brooks no criticism. This episode could be an alarming preview of what life will be like for the media should the party of the Fairness Doctrine gain unified control of the federal government next year. "http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MmUwOTllNmMzZDNlMTljMGFmY2JkZTllYmQyOTY0ODY=&w=MA==

beatrice 6 years, 7 months ago

Poco, a fine pic? Is it her time as mayor of a town with 5,500 people you like, or her brief time as governor (under investigation) of the third least populated state -- or do you like her sports journalism background, or the fact that she is a former beauty queen? Yep, fine choice for the person to be a heart beat away from the presidency under the oldest incumbent candidate ever. Sure it is. This makes Bush's choice of Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court look rational.McCain should have walked out and said, "I quit," and turned and walked away. This one is over.

POCO 6 years, 7 months ago

Beatrice.. I like everything about her. Her honesty; her ability to speak without ah-ah-ah-ah and the need to measure every word; her family values; her upbringing; her no-nonsense attitude and above all, her willingness to recognize women for who they are while not necessarily agreeing with their positions... shall I continue?