Archive for Monday, August 4, 2008

Charges filed against Baldwin City man in connection with weekend shooting

A Baldwin City man faces an aggravated battery charge for shooting a neighbor in the head over the weekend.

August 4, 2008, 2:25 p.m. Updated August 4, 2008, 4:57 p.m.

A Baldwin City man faces an aggravated battery charge related to a shooting early Saturday morning that injured his 32-year-old neighbor.

The Douglas County District Attorney's Office filed the felony charge Monday morning against Brian L. Pitts, 35.

During Pitts' first appearance in court Monday, District Judge Robert Fairchild agreed to lower Pitts' bond to $75,000 from $500,000. But Fairchild said Pitts could not have contact with the victim, Daniel T. Sumner.

Pitts told Fairchild that he was not a flight risk and he wanted to be able to financially assist his wife and children.

Police allege that about 5 a.m. Saturday, Pitts shot Sumner in the head while inside Sumner's home. Mike McKenna, Baldwin City's police chief, told reporters this weekend that Sumner was struck in the head by a bullet that grazed him and tore back his scalp.

McKenna said Sumner was in stable condition when he was taken to a Kansas City-area hospital. Fairchild appointed defense attorney James George to defend Pitts.

His next court appearance will be at 2 p.m. Thursday with District Judge Paula Martin.

Comments

dweezil222 5 years, 8 months ago

Ok, the charges have been filed. Now all we have to do is find out how McKenna FUBAR'ed the case.

important 5 years, 8 months ago

I think the most important thing would be to pray for both families because they are both probably confused and hurting right now!!!

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

If you google the shooter's name, and "Baldwin," you'll get a Brian Pitts with a Baldwin phone number who sells real estate for Reece Nichols. Anyone know if this is the same Biran Pitts? (I'd be surprised if there were 2 people with that name in a town of about 4000, but stranger things have happened..)So... maybe the victim made a lowball offer on a house. ;-)Glad to read that the victim will be fine. I wonder what he and his family think of the bond being lowered so the shooter can get out more easily. I don't think I'd sleep very well knowing he was at home next door.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 8 months ago

I would love to know what the fight was about. My first guess is barking dog, second was mowing grass early to beat the heat, but maybe 6am, not "THAT" early.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

Right on Pywacket..... I am sure they were eary risers, not late party folks. the gun "just" happened to be there.Good guy to have next door....if... someone is looking for trouble close to home.

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

I dearly hope the shooter will make bail so he can read these comments and join us on this thread. Wouldn't you love to know what would possess someone to have a loaded gun at hand while socializing (at 5:00 a.m.) with the neighbors? I'm sure he has a very logical explanation he could share with us.

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm sure someone disrespected someone's property, house or wife and children. "Thouth shall not shoot thy neighbor for letting his puppy poop in thine yard!"

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 8 months ago

That's not what I would necessarily call the "Welcome Wagon".

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 8 months ago

And neighbors for hardly two months. Some way to start off a neighborly friendship. Again, the best neighbor is a parking lot.