Archive for Saturday, August 2, 2008

Baldwin City man jailed on aggravated battery charge in connection with neighbor’s shooting

A Baldwin man is in custody after police say he shot his neighbor in the head early Saturday morning.

August 2, 2008, 11:39 a.m. Updated August 2, 2008, 6:13 p.m.

A Baldwin City police officer and a Douglas County sheriff's deputy stand outside the home of a man suspected of shooting his neighbor Saturday.

A 35-year-old Baldwin City man is in custody on aggravated battery charges after allegedly shooting his neighbor in the head early Saturday morning.

Baldwin City police arrested the man shortly after responding to a 911 call on the 200 block of Elm Street at 5:50 a.m. The 32-year-old victim, a male, was transported by ambulance to a Kansas City-area hospital. He was in fair condition at the time he was transported.

Baldwin City Police Chief Mike McKenna said the shooting stemmed from an argument between the two men, who had been together Friday night. The assailant fired several times, hitting the victim in the head once, McKenna said, and the victim was conscious when police arrived and identified his neighbor as the shooter. The suspect's white minivan was stopped by police several blocks from the crime scene, where police were combing a grassy area adjacent to a creek.

"The indication at this time is it's a handgun," McKenna said.

McKenna said the victim and suspect were friends, and had lived next door to each other since June.

Neighbors were shocked to hear of the incident.

A 23-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man who live in the same duplex as the victim said they never expected such an incident to occur. They declined to give their names.

"Those people at the corner are real good people," said the man, referring to the suspect's family. He lived in a house with his wife and three children, according to other neighbors.

The suspect's bond was set at $500,000. He is in custody at the Douglas County Jail.

Baldwin City police were assisted by Douglas County sheriff's deputies and crime scene investigators from the Johnson County Sheriff's Office.

Comments

important 7 years ago

lets just pray for the families because I'm sure that they're upset and confused and need it

LawrenceRules 7 years, 1 month ago

McKenna, while heading up the investigation from his Wichita home, and his keystone cops will bungle this slam dunk case and the guy will walk. You watch.

devilsrighthandman 7 years, 1 month ago

To tuschkahouma................????????????????????????? what?????????????????????????? huh?

Daniel Davidson 7 years, 1 month ago

Why do they not name these two. Just like they do with every other issue they write about. The two are not minors so why not tell?

Wendy magillicutty 7 years, 1 month ago

5:50 a.m. I'm sure they were arguing about who was going to drive to work.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 1 month ago

what the he|| does this have to do with Indian hiring practices???"Those people at the corner are real good people," said the man, referring to the suspect's family. He lived in a house with his wife and three children,yeah, and you guys just really don't know, he's a great guy... he's my friend...now this malarky is in the articles and not just the comments!the two fighting:"I need these glasses. they're very real!" [note: Macdonalds ad!]

Mike Ford 7 years, 1 month ago

to the very first poster about hiring practices with Indians:There is the Indian Preference Act of 1968. If this actwould've been instituted a couple of decades prior,then no WHITE people could've given the wetlandsaway to their friends? without the consultation of theNative people they made a practice of bilking from.I think it's racist for the BIA to be ran by non-Indianslike Bruce Cason who reversed tribal recognition forthe Hassaminico-Nipmucs of Mass. and the Schagticokesof Conn. because the Right Wing leaned on him andGale Norton, both Non-Indians overseeing tribal intereststo screw them over.

Aisling 7 years, 1 month ago

smitty, smitty, smitty just give it up already. It used to be kind of amusing to read your vendetta....er agenda but now you're just a sad, pathetic person and I feel sorry for those around you. Why not do yourself a favor and take a rest from the LJWorld?

Jonathan Kealing 7 years, 1 month ago

Py-No names are included because the suspect has not been formally charged with a crime. The Journal-World has a policy of not identifying those that have been arrested until they've been formally charged. Also, the victim has not been named because the Baldwin City police have declined to officially identify him.Jonathan KealingOnline editor

skinny 7 years, 1 month ago

You'll have to read the Topeka Capital or Kansas City Star to find out what really happened as well as the names. The Urinal World doesn't not print that information.

Pro_Counsel 7 years, 1 month ago

Pywacket;There are other reasons other than waiting for a conviction to withhold the name of a sexual offender. For example, when the perpetrator is the parent of the victim, keeping the victim's identity anonymous is pretty much a moot point if you print her father's name. As I said above, I suspect the family of the victim in this case had not been notified (if you were one of the family members, would you rather read about it in the paper or be notified face-to-face first?), and identifying the shooter would pretty much tell us who the victim was.Of course, since I believe both of us live in Baldwin, we could probably just drive by and read the name off the mailbox - nah, too frikkin' hot!

Pro_Counsel 7 years, 1 month ago

It's customary in many newspapers not to release the name of a crime victim until family can be notified - and if they identified the suspect, in a case like this (e.g. the suspect being the 35 y.o. next-door - on the corner - neighbor of the 32 y.o. victim), I would think it would pretty much identify the victim as well.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 1 month ago

amazing.Smitty puts in her usual rant about lpd. totallyoff topic and off content of the article! let the baldwin pd handle it. geeez.***yeah, just moved in. fleeing what from where? and, PY, not to be a pedant, but with what little we know, maybe there is a sexual element to the crime. they don't have the convenience of just dropping in on the riverfront park/brokeback park here in lawrence.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 1 month ago

hey thanks Jonathan. nice to see you responding to our questions. I'm glad to have this cleared up.

lostcreek 7 years, 1 month ago

Is there someone from Baldwin that knows what is going on?

Thats_messed_up 7 years, 1 month ago

this paper is so chickenshlt not naming suspects-pathetic!

Bladerunner 7 years, 1 month ago

I have to wonder why he is charged with Aggravated Battery and not Attempted Murder?

domovik 7 years, 1 month ago

Smitty-I'm shocked and amazed that you don't know something about LPD! Why on earth would you think that they would travel out of their area to work a case that has nothing to do with them? DGSO would get involved because it happened in the county. Baldwin does still happen to be in Douglas County last I checked.

Pro_Counsel 7 years, 1 month ago

Pywacket;Sorry, didn't mean to come across as confrontational, if that's the way you took it. I will point out that houses on a corner (from the story: '"Those people at the corner are real good people," said the man, referring to the suspect's family.') may have two houses next to them, but only one would be on Elm Street. I also wasn't suggesting a parade past their houses ... I was saying that, like you, I can wait for the information, which is why I had no intention of driving by. As far as the newspaper's policy (thanks Mr. Kealing for clarifying), I was, as I clearly stated, just stating what I suspected ... or in other words, guessing.

dweezil222 7 years, 1 month ago

LR, you're right... McKenna will have inevitably found some way to screw this up.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 1 month ago

don't know why I didn't post this earlier:friends don't shoot friends in the head!***Smitty-I'm shocked and amazed that you don't know something about LPD! Why on earth would you think that they would travel out of their area to work a casethat has nothing to do with them? DGSO would get involved because it happened in the county. Baldwin does still happen to be in Douglas County last I checked.---ah, Domo, facts don't stop Smitty from a good rant.

unite2revolt 7 years ago

The second hand heresay that I have heard from the "shooter's" perspective is that after a long night of drinking with friends, he found the "victim" making the beast with two backs with his wife. My guess is the charges stem from "trying to scare the guy" not "trying to kill the guy".