Archive for Thursday, April 3, 2008

Boy, 12, kills man who was attacking his mother

April 3, 2008

— A 12-year-old boy fatally slashed a man who was attacking his mother at the boarding house where they lived, authorities said.

Salomon Noubissie, 64, died at a hospital after he was slashed across the neck Monday night in the home in the Landover area.

Cpl. Diane Richardson, a spokeswoman for Prince George's County police, said Wednesday authorities hadn't decided whether the boy would be charged with anything. They were reviewing the case with the state's attorney's office.

The boy said he had been playing a video game Monday night when he heard his mother, Cheryl Stamp, scream. He found her on the kitchen floor, straddled by a fellow resident who was choking her.

"I kept saying, 'Stop! Stop! Stop!"' the boy told The Washington Post, which published his account without giving his name. "But he just ignored me. He didn't stop. He just kept hurting her."

The boy said he took a knife and swung at the man. Police say they found Noubissie with a knife wound to the upper body.

Stamp said she didn't fully realize at first what her son had done. "He didn't say anything," she said. "But I knew when I looked in his eyes. I said, 'Oh, Lord.'"

Rarely is a 12-year-old implicated in a homicide, and even less often does a child that age kill someone to protect his mother.

"In Maryland, there can be a legitimate defense of third parties in the event of a violent attack," State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey told the paper. "That is a possibility in this case."

Stamp said she and Noubissie, a Cameroonian immigrant, had moved into the boarding house within days of each other three months ago and had become friends.

But on Monday night, she said, he was acting differently. He started to yell at her and grab her hair.

"He threw me down and started choking me. I think that's when my son came in. ... He protected me," she said.

Noubissie was combative with officers when they arrived, even as he was bleeding heavily, she said.

The boy said he was not happy with what happened but felt he had no choice.

"I told God that I had stabbed him because he was killing my mother. I know he understands, and I think he will keep us safe now."

Comments

Marion Lynn 6 years ago

I suspect that the kid will have fewer problems from this incident that the apologists would have you believe.The kid was smart enough to know what to do and make the decsiion to do it......kid thinks...."Someone is trying to kill my Mommy! I must stop this however I can! I love my Mommy!"Rational decision.Kid kills attacker.Mommy safe.Kid happy.Yeah, the kid will need "counselling" but only because there are those out there who will tell him that he has a problem because he legally, morally and ethically killed some dritbag who was trying to kill his Mommy!Kid should get a medal!When this kid is of job age, I want to hire him!

Drew_Carey 6 years ago

TOB racks up another 200 pts. He's on a bizkit lately.

Calliope877 6 years ago

Sorry, I meant "a lot less likely."I think I should go to bed now...

Calliope877 6 years ago

Jcjayhawk1 (Anonymous) says: "I also think it's good that he used a knife instead of a gun.If he would've fired a gun into the attacker's back at close range, the bullet could have quite possibly passed through the attacker's body and struck the mother."Could have slashed the Mother too.I think that'd be a lot less unlikely, I mean, unless a twelve year old boy had the strength and was moving at such a high rate of velocity to shove his entire arm through the guy's back and stab the mother as well.And I disagree that the story would have turned out with the same ending if a gun had been used.Just my opinion, of course.

coolmarv 6 years ago

Oops, forgot the mmmhummm.

coolmarv 6 years ago

TOB, I like the way you talk.

staff04 6 years ago

Yeah...no comment from madmike...maybe he read the text of the law he posted in his support...AFTER he posted it.

Mariann 6 years ago

Anonymous usermadmike (Anonymous) says:It also states that you are required to retreat on your own propertyhuh????????DOWN ON YOUR KNEES>....CUZ I IS COP>...I GAVE YOU AND ORDER....TAZER....ZZZZZZZZAPPPPPPPPahhhhh!!!!! help.....father please......

staff04 6 years ago

"not required to retreat from a building or other structure"Huh?I'm not an attorney, but I do have basic reading comprehension skills.Also, Ohio isn't "out east," by most standards.

madmike 6 years ago

It also states that you are required to retreat on your own property

staff04 6 years ago

Yes, madmike...your c/p says exactly the opposite of what you asserted. Immunity is granted if there is imminent danger. This means, that if a drunk wanders into your living room and passes out on your couch, you can't shoot him in the face. If a drunk or other criminal walks into your house and attacks you or your family (or even threatens to), then fire away...

Jcjayhawk1 6 years ago

"I also think it's good that he used a knife instead of a gun.If he would've fired a gun into the attacker's back at close range, the bullet could have quite possibly passed through the attacker's body and struck the mother."Could have slashed the Mother too. The point is the instrument that you use to defend yourself should be available. The most effective deterrent is a gun. Many criminals will give up just at the sight of a gun. I am quite certain that had a gun been more ready than a knife the kid would not have thought twice. Our discussion today would be the same. Kid saves Mother shoots attacker dead. Same applause & and same support.

madmike 6 years ago

That came from the Ohio Revised Statutes, Defender. I hope you're not a defense lawyer!

madmike 6 years ago

For purposes of the immunity created by division (B)(1) of this section, reasonably necessary force to repel a trespasser from a building or other structure that is maintained as a permanent or temporary dwelling or to prevent a trespasser from making an unlawful entry into a building or other structure of that nature may include the taking of or attempting to take the trespasser's life, or causing or attempting to cause physical harm or serious physical harm to the person of the trespasser, if the owner, lessee, or renter of real property or a member of the owner's, lessee's, or renter's family who resides on the property has a reasonable good faith belief that the owner, lessee, or renter or a member of the owner's, lessee's, or renter's family is in imminent danger of death or serious physical harm to person and that the only means to escape from the imminent danger is to use deadly force or other force that likely will cause physical harm or serious physical harm to the person of the trespasser, even if the owner, lessee, renter, or family member is mistaken as to the existence or imminence of the danger of death or serious physical harm to person.(3) In order to qualify for the immunity created by division (B)(1) of this section, an owner, lessee, or renter of real property or a member of the owner's, lessee's, or renter's family who resides on the property is not required to retreat from a building or other structure that is maintained as a permanent or temporary dwelling prior to using reasonably necessary force to repel a trespasser from the building or other structure or to prevent a trespasser from making an unlawful entry into the building or other structure.

kathy white 6 years ago

I agree, give the kid a medal and some therapy if needed, and let's all hope our children love us as much.

Confrontation 6 years ago

I agree with you, ralphralph. Parents often believe that their kids will recover without counseling. I hope they get this child some help.

Ceallach 6 years ago

If he would've fired a gun into the attacker's back at close range, the bullet could have quite possibly passed through the attacker's body and struck the mother.*********This is sooooo true, I recently watched John McClane shot a really, really, bad man by shooting through his own body.

Calliope877 6 years ago

I agree with dorothy, I think the kid will more than likely get off on the basis of self-defense.It was very brave of him to do what he did.I also think it's good that he used a knife instead of a gun.If he would've fired a gun into the attacker's back at close range, the bullet could have quite possibly passed through the attacker's body and struck the mother.

ralphralph 6 years ago

If the story is true, the boy did what he had to do, and there's no way he'll be charged, and certainly no way he'd be convicted ... almost all jurors have or once had a mom.That said, the kid is damaged psychologically. We know that, without knowing anything else. He needs care and counseling, right now, so he can get past this. Whether he knows it or not, that's that fact, Jack.

pace 6 years ago

This speaks to the use of aluminum pans rather than the handy cast iron skillet.

Marion Lynn 6 years ago

Pywacket (Anonymous) says: If the child had fired a gun in this situation, it would have been altogether possible that his mother (and/or) the assailant would have been hit, especially if it had been a semiautomatic.Marion writes:Pywacket, why is it that you think that the kid would have been more likely to shoot his mom with a semi-auto had the kid had a firearm and chosen to use it?Do you know ANYTHING about firearms?What makes a semi-auto so special?

madmike 6 years ago

Some eastern state laws state that if you have an intruder in your house and you have a close exit, you may not harm the intruder.

pomegranate 6 years ago

The Bob,I've been laughing and laughing over your comment. That is surely the best laugh I will have all day. I guess they use the chimney like Santa.

justfornow 6 years ago

Wish I had his nards when I was 12.

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

""Many states back east won't even allow you to defend yourself in your own house if there is a way out of the house.'" MadmikeHow the hell would an intruder get in if there wasn't a way out? For that matter, how would the owner get in and out? Are building houses without doors all the rage back East?

Defender 6 years ago

"Many states back east won't even allow you to defend yourself in your own house if there is a way out of the house.'Please provide proof of your claim. You have a habit of making up BS crap, madmike, so let's see if this is one of your lies.

le 6 years ago

How `bout a little "Farva" beans with that BOB!

Pywacket 6 years ago

Way to drag your gun-nuttiness into a situation that has nothing to do with guns. It's good that a knife, and not a gun, was at hand. If the child had fired a gun in this situation, it would have been altogether possible that his mother (and/or) the assailant would have been hit, especially if it had been a semiautomatic. Guns should be legal, yes--but closely controlled.Back on topic: good points, Dorothy. Absolutely sound reasoning. I'm sure that if the investigation bears out the veracity of the initial reports, the authorities will do right by the boy and not put him through further anguish.

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

The first thing I thought after reading this article... Sling Blade. Now, if you will excuse me, I've got to go get some mustard for my biscuit.

Jcjayhawk1 6 years ago

This is a great example of American's right to bear fire arms. It was fortunate that the kid picked up some instrument to defend his mother. But in some cases when the criminal has a gun and all you have is a knife the criminal has the upper hand. The criminal many, many times possesses the fire arm illegally. The resident more times than not will have proper registration. Most gun laws only weaken the victim and do nothing to deter criminals that have no regard for the gun laws in the first place. I applaud the child and every American that uses their right to bear arms and defend themselves be it a knife or a gun.

jonas 6 years ago

Man, could suck to have to be that kid. Hope he's taking it okay.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years ago

The police have to investigate to make sure the story is true. Once that is determined it will probably be justifiable homicide. The police can't believe a story, just because the boy and his mother said so. They must look at the facts, in case the boy and his mother plotted a murder, or that the mother killed the guy and made up the story about her son. Just the facts, ma'am.

madmike 6 years ago

Buggie7 6 years ago

I think this kid will be fine and yes should be rewarded and made with the feeling of safety that may have been taken away from him at this time. It states that the man was combative with police so Im assuming that this boy did not see this man die and that he died at the hospital or on the way there which is good that I think would have scarred this boy for life. Telling him the guy is dead and him actually seeing that he had killed him are 2 totally different outcomes and Im just really glad that he did not have to have that feeling of seeing a life that he had to take

Pywacket 6 years ago

WTF??!! "...authorities hadn't decided whether the boy would be charged with anything" and "Rarely is a 12-year-old implicated in a homicide, ..."Earth to Hyattsville authorities: if this is a "homicide," it is the most justifiable one I've ever heard about. Reward this young man, ensure that he receives counseling if he needs it, and let him get on with his life.Bury the scumbag's body in a landfill.

le 6 years ago

If the story is correct!?!?!....He should`nt be charged..He should get a Medal !!!

bd 6 years ago

Are they legal imigrants?????

repaste 6 years ago

What is the talk of charging him/

le 6 years ago

Wow... its nice to see a child protecting they`re mother in these crazy times ... instead of killing her!!!