Archive for Thursday, October 25, 2007

Bush daughter knows best

October 25, 2007

Last week President Bush named yet another person to oversee the federally funded family planning program who doesn't seem especially keen on federally funded family planning. He might have done better to pick his daughter Jenna.

Her book, "Ana's Story," about a Central American teen-age mother who is HIV-positive, is refreshingly reality-based about sexual behavior - in a way that her father's administration resists.

President Bush pushes funding for abstinence-only sex education, with students given no information about birth control or safe sex. Jenna Bush, who met Ana while working as a UNICEF intern in Latin America, understands that abstinence isn't always the chosen path.

"If you decide abstinence is right for you, don't let anyone tell you otherwise," she writes. "But if you decide that you're ready for a sexual relationship, the best way to protect yourself from HIV and other (sexually transmitted infections) is to be faithful to your partner and use a condom every time."

Good advice - if only the federal government wanted American children of Ana's age to hear it. Instead, abstinence-only programs are riddled with misstatements that exaggerate the failure rate of condoms and minimize their ability to protect against disease.

President Bush requires abstinence-only programs to teach that "sexual activity outside the context of marriage is likely to have harmful psychological and physical effects." Jenna Bush describes how Ana, then 16, has sex for the first time with HIV-positive Berto: "She felt no fear, only love." She relates approvingly how a nurse told Ana at age 10 that "when she was older and ready to have sex that it was very important to always use condoms."

As Jenna Bush told Newsweek, "In Africa my dad's policies are pretty much in line with mine, but not domestically." ABC - abstain, be faithful, use condoms - is the message abroad, not at home.

Contrast Jenna Bush with the president's latest flawed choice for the post of acting deputy secretary for population affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services - in other words, the official who oversees federal family planning programs and advises on reproductive health and adolescent pregnancy, including abstinence-only programs.

You may remember Bush's previous pick: Eric Keroack, who was medical director of a pregnancy-counseling (read: anti-abortion) clinic that considered birth control "demeaning to women" and believed that making contraception available, "especially among adolescents, actually increases ... out-of-wedlock pregnancy and abortion."

Keroack resigned after it was revealed that state Medicaid officials had taken action against his private medical practice in Massachusetts. Bush replaced him with Susan Orr, former senior director for marriage and family care at the conservative Family Research Council and an adjunct professor at Pat Robertson's Regent University. Orr seems to be Keroack Lite.

In 2001, when the Bush administration proposed lifting the requirement that health insurers of federal employees provide coverage for contraceptives, Orr cheered. "We're quite pleased, because fertility is not a disease," she said. "It's not a medical necessity that you have it." Tell that to girls like Ana.

The year before, Orr fought a D.C. Council bill requiring all employers to cover contraception - with no exception for those, such as the Catholic Church, that have religious objections. I agree that a "conscience clause" should have been included, but Orr's opposition was disturbingly vitriolic. "The mask of choice is falling off," she said. "It's not about choice. It's not about health care. It's about making everyone collaborators with the culture of death."

The Family Research Council argues against funding the family planning program that Orr is slated to supervise. "We don't think there is an argument for taxpayer funding of contraception," the group's vice president for government affairs, Tom McClusky, told me.

The group has echoed that message in a prayer alert about the $283 million a year program that funds family planning clinics for low-income women.

Almost 40 years ago, a member of Congress, urging the federal government to help lower-income women get access to birth control, made a point that seems lost on the Orrs of the world. "We need to take sensationalism out of this topic," he said. "If family planning is anything, it is a public health matter."

The lawmaker was George H.W. Bush - and I suspect his granddaughter would understand, even if his son chooses not to.

Ruth Marcus is a member of The Washington Post's editorial page staff.

Comments

ThatGirl 6 years, 6 months ago

Badger: Thank you for the most worthwhile post of this thread. Brilliant points--which I will note were never responded to.

logicsound04 6 years, 6 months ago

"I wish someone had let me know as a teenager that I was worth waiting for marriage for and didn't have to find my worth in how many men wanted to sleep with me."

Waiting for marriage to have sex does not guarantee that one will not still find their self-worth from sex.

People can have healthy, non-self-validating sex prior to marriage as well.

Finding self-worth from the number of guys that want to sleep with you is a fundamental self-esteem problem, having nothing to do with whether or not one is married.

There are people that use marriage as a validation of their self-worth as well. This is no more healthy than self-validation through sex, but the religious right demonizes one and justifies the other.

Sex is a healthy human outlet. The connotations of it being unhealthy are part of the religious right's propoganda that equates pleasure with sin.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

"I think that birth control pills contributed to a false sense of security, yes."

Way to take responsibility for your actions....

"It was the pills fault".

Tychoman 6 years, 6 months ago

Good for you, deec. To resurrect Monty Python again, "always look on the bright side of life."

And no, birth control pills don't lead to a necessarily false sense of security.

And no, 75x55, it doesn't.

posessionannex 6 years, 6 months ago

Did you know the SUN was shining today? Did you even take the time to go outside and see what was up with the real world? You 'cube dwellers kill me.

Actually, I post from my iphone between holes while Jeeves drives my golf cart.

deec 6 years, 6 months ago

I on the other hand, have no regrets about my "sordid youth". I take responsibility for the decisions I made. Now my marriage to an uber-right wing religious fanatic, who cheated on me regularly...that I regret. Until I remember my 5 wonderful children

Defender 6 years, 6 months ago

"Sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't become a Christian until I was an adult. One of the reasons I feel strongly about this subject is because I have been there. I wish someone had let me know as a teenager that I was worth waiting for marriage for and didn't have to find my worth in how many men wanted to sleep with me."

So, you blame you lack of self worth on others, because "I wish someone had let me know"? Uh, it's called self worth for a reason, no one else can give it to you. If you think they can, then you have no self worth, as self worth is not dependant on others.

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

I think that birth control pills contributed to a false sense of security, yes.

Katara 6 years, 6 months ago

Manyblessings, since you have been there, do you feel that birth control made you do the things you did that you now regret?

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

You sound like an old church lady who never knew "good action." It's such a pity. You must have been one of the 5% who waited for marriage, and then was sorely disappointed. I picture you as that Roman Catholic mom from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life ("The Miracle Of Birth - Part II: The Third World" ).

Sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't become a Christian until I was an adult. One of the reasons I feel strongly about this subject is because I have been there. I wish someone had let me know as a teenager that I was worth waiting for marriage for and didn't have to find my worth in how many men wanted to sleep with me. I am so thankful I finally found someone who respected me enough to make the decision that we should do the right thing and wait for marriage. We have been happily married now for over a decade and have a healthy sex life, but I have many regrets from my past. As for being "old", I guess that is relative. If you are a teenager I might seem "old".

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

"I don't believe in transubstantiation. Either I am right and it is false or I am wrong and it is true. What is your point?"

You've made my point for me. You originally say ""Real "truth" is not dependent on a person's opinion", and yet here you say you don't believe in an aspect of faith that millions of people take as Biblical truth:

Sure, you have to make your own decisions as to whether or not to believe what is true. That doesn't change the fact that it is truth.

riverrat2 6 years, 6 months ago

I can believe the No. of dumb a$$es that copied/pasted their log-book here.

You live your lives so protected that you don't even know what is going on in the real world.

jmsw112 6 years, 6 months ago

Liberal Christians exist you bunch of sillypantses.

werekoala 6 years, 6 months ago

a few questions for the squawkers:

1) should women who are raped be forced to bear their rapist's child? What about 13-year-old molestation victims?

2) if abortion is illegalized, what penalty should apply to women who seek out and recieve illegal abortions?

3) if a fertilized, unimplanted egg is the same as a baby, why does God let about 1/2 of all these eggs pass out of the uterus without being implanted? And with such a high rate of this happening, does one more really matter?

posessionannex 6 years, 6 months ago

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

That's where I learned my sex-ed class was normal. Ahhh, Mr. Skinner and his wife. Taught me everything I know.

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

Manyblessings (Anonymous) says:

"Back to the original topic of abstinence vs. birth control. I think that birth control provides a false sense of security and encourages immorality."

observar 6 years, 6 months ago

Hell, I've always heard them referred too as pimps or gigolos. Which are you rt? And what is your significant other referred toas?

tell_it_like_it_is 6 years, 6 months ago

Livin' off the old lady right_thinker? You know there is a word for guys like that.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 6 months ago

ObservAR, tomorrow, try to look at your job at the KFC drive-thru as an opportunity for growth. You know, the other day, my wife told me about this woman who started out at the McDonalds drive-thru window and twelve years later, is the COO or something starting with a "C".

ObservAR, you can get there if you would stop being so negative and take charge of your life.

George W. Bush, two-term President of the United States of America has given you every tool to be a success story. Take advantage of the opportunity this great man has provided for you.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 6 months ago

Why do I have to have a "job"? You guys have no idea the great gig I got goin' on. I wouldn't trade places with any of you stellar superstars!

observar 6 years, 6 months ago

rt doesn't have enough brains to get new job. but then, why should he before w leaves office, its obvious he's well paid to tout repub lines of lies.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm guessing Blabberboy is one of those latent-homosexual-sports-hero-wannabes, but in reality a spectator sports droid who whoops it up and hollers at games, has freakishly small nads and a uber-frigid girlfreind.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

"If right-thinker is for it, I am against it. if right- hinker is against it, I am for it."

You know, r_t, with some strategically sequenced posts, you could have BABBOY's head spinning.

BABBOY 6 years, 6 months ago

Sometimes you just have hand to the LJ Journal. They play us like fiddle. I mean how beatifull is it that Bush's own daughter knows he is fricking idiot.

I got a simple rule on these posts on this site. If right-thinker is for it, I am against it. if right- hinker is against it, I am for it. Kidding, there can be a post about rainfall and right-thinker would find a way to blame the liberals. At least he stopped posting 100 times a day. He must have finally found a job or is working one where requried to do it.

"Setttig the record straight," I note that you just kind of choose your own topic and ignored articile. Your name should be "Setting the record I want to talk about straight."

It is getting kind of boring here same people saying the same thing.

Anyone know anything about football -- probably not....... but, Tech plays BC tonight and I have been trying to figure out which one losing would help KU the most ----- oh yeah were talking about condoms and religion and how common sense has nothing to do with conservative thought in America,,,,,,,,,,,,,

BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!!!!

Incidently, are we talking about the hot Bush daughter or the plain looking one.........

HA HA, that last line was for you right-thinker, I doubt with your abstenance policy you really have a clue what to do with a hot chick, do ya!!!!

75x55 6 years, 6 months ago

"manyblessings: "Back to the original topic. I think that birth control provides a false sense of security and encourages immorality."

It doesn't. Next topic."

It does. Next topic.

Tychoman 6 years, 6 months ago

It doesn't. Next topic.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

Like... I am sooooooo beyond debating the abortion thing....

"i take birth control pills to control migraines"

... I just want to know more about the woman on birth control who doesn't get headaches.

,:-)

posessionannex 6 years, 6 months ago

How am I "intolerant" of Christians?

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

You've made my point for me. You originally say ""Real "truth" is not dependent on a person's opinion", and yet here you say you don't believe in an aspect of faith that millions of people take as Biblical truth...

If it's ok for you to toss that aside (watch out now tvc), then it is perfectly acceptable for me (or anyone else) to toss aside anything you claim as "truth", in regard to religion, that is.

tvc 6 years, 6 months ago

What is your point? That is your opinion, and not a fact. Just like it is my opinion that having sex and masturbating is fun.

denak 6 years, 6 months ago

It is a shame that this thread has so quickly(and predictably) become a thread on abortion.

Contraceptives, in and of themselves, do not improves women's lifes in a lot of countries. However, the use of contraceptives to delay a first birth does in fact have a profound impact on a woman's/girl's life in many countries.

The older a girl, in a third world country, is when she gives birth the first time has a direct correllation to future childbearing risks, maternal and infant mortality, the number of children born, maritial instability, the amount of education she receives, and economic status which is generally lower.

In the U.S., we view a teenage pregnacy as a detour,something to be avoided. However, for many women/girls in the world, giving birth before the age of 17 (age used to define early birth)is considered "normal." This normal does nothing but hurt the women as well as the family and by extension society. Large families have greater economic stress. Large families increase population which puts stress on governments. And one only needs to look at the dismal plight of the millions of babies orphaned in African from AIDS, to see that condoms is needed not only for to use as a contraceptive but also to use to ward against HIV/AIDs.

However, as I stated earlier, contraceptives and birth control, in and of itself, isn't going to solve all the problems. Changing the culture that does not view early births as a negative thing or sees child bearing as the sole reason for a woman's existance is crucial. As is developing ways for women/girls to achieve economic independence. Micro-loans to women in some countries (eg India) have had amazing results in bettering women's lives. As does the increase in marriage age and compulsary education.

All these things need/should be in place so that half of the world's population actually has a chance at having a life that is even worht living. Denying a girl/woman contraception is just as wrong as denying a girl/woman an education or economic freedom. All these things work together to provide more of an opportunity. And it is a shame that the President does not see that. Perhaps, he should talk to Ana.

Dena

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 6 months ago

"Well, RT they were just talking about you."

It's a love/hate thing. Every LJW neighbor (award-winning) is an extremely valuable asset to the forum.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

"Real "truth" is not dependent on a person's opinion."

So, please offer some proof of this "truth"...let's start with transubstantiation, shall we?

tvc 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, RT they were just talking about you. Welcome.

Manyblessings are you resorting to name calling and insults. Tsk. Tsk.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 6 months ago

Using sweet, adorable little Jenna to in a roundabout way, denegrate her father---the leftist media has not one shred of decency--not that that's news in itself. Really, leftist media, get alife.

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

manyblessings: I'm pretty sure you're just rightthinker's female profile. It's kind of interesting how he disappears when you show up. I guess he wanted a uterus.

Nope, sorry. I am not even sure if I agree with all of his opinions. Surprise, surprise, there is more than one person who dares be conservative amongst the liberal Lawrence sheep.

Gary Sandell 6 years, 6 months ago

It doesn't surprise me that Dubya wants to have control over pregnancies in Africa and the U.S. Increasing the number of whites in the world has always been part of his agenda.

Where the HELL did that come from?

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

Real "truth" is not dependent on a person's opinion. It is either true or it is a lie.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

"I think sometimes people start Christian bashing when they are confronted with the truth and don't want to admit it."

See, here we have a prime example of why people can't stand preachy Christians.

The "truth", or the "truth as you see it"?

posessionannex 6 years, 6 months ago

Think about it, man! You probably wouldn't dare make jokes about blacks, Jews or homosexuals. You do, however, feel free to rip on Christians. Why?

Did I make a joke?

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

"You probably wouldn't dare make jokes about blacks, Jews or homosexuals. You do, however, feel free to rip on Christians. Why?"

So lets try.

Two black, Jewish homosexual blondes walk into a building. You would think one of them would have seen it there.

Well, then how about this ...

A black Jewish homosexual woman walks into a bar and orders a beer. "We don't serve your kind here," growled the bartender. "Okay," said the woman. "Then I'll have a scotch on the rocks instead."

What can I say. At least I'm trying.

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

I think sometimes people start Christian bashing when they are confronted with the truth and don't want to admit it. They can't argue logically and coherently so they resort to name calling and insults.

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

strs: Being a liberal, I'd like to chime in here. I can honestly say that I don't have a problem with people having faith, including Christians. However, when people start preaching intolerance in the name of their faith, be it Muslim or Christian or whatever, that is where problems begin. I refuse to tolerate faith-based intolerance.

In other words, don't tell me how to live my life based on your faith and I won't need to tell you to shut the hell up. Pretty simple, really.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

Uh huh. I wonder, STRS - can you see any differences between blacks, Jews, and homosexuals and "Christians"?

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 6 months ago

annex,

I've learned that liberals commonly preach tolerance and inclusivity unless it means being tolerant of Christians.

posessionannex 6 years, 6 months ago

Are you as intolerant of Jews and blacks as you are of Christians? (Liberal double standards crack me up.)

How am I "intolerant" of Christians?

badger 6 years, 6 months ago

STRS:

So you're saying that prevention of implantation of a fertilized egg is equivalent to abortion. Does that mean a woman who takes a non-ovulation form of regular hormonal birth control is morally superior to a woman who takes a non-implantation form of regular hormonal birth control, because the latter has an abortion as often as once every menstrual cycle if she's sexually active?

Wow.

That's just...all sorts of ignorant. It must be nice to live in a world where everything is so black and white with no shades of grey or nuance.

You know lots of things can prevent implantation, right? Are people who have IUD's also on your list of regular aborters? What about women who let a yeast infection go too long without treatment and developed PID? They should have known they were risking uterine scarring that would 'end that developing life'. Or the severely anemic, whose uterine tissue won't hold an implanted egg? If they don't take their iron supplements while they're sexually active even though they know those supplements might prevent non-implantation, are they on your 'list' too?

I think you don't know very much about female reproductive anatomy, sparky.

tvc 6 years, 6 months ago

STRS, I am sorry for making fun of your God. I am most familiar with the Christian God, but I promise to rotate different Gods into my jokes.
Sincerely, tvc

tvc 6 years, 6 months ago

I believe that in most if not all cases it prevents fertilization. There is evidence of this in the link I provided, but ultimately I don't care. I respect your views, but ultimately I have decided that the woman's rights trump the baby's.

logicsound04 6 years, 6 months ago

"Last week President Bush named yet another person to oversee the federally funded family planning program who doesn't seem especially keen on federally funded family planning. "

So, yet another Bush appointee who is less than qualified to oversee the area in which he/she has been appointed to oversee. At one point, I wondered why this man can't seem to choose people that are well-equipped to handle the demands of their job, but now I think I've figured it out:

Bush, as a Christian, knows that a lot of the key bibilcal figures God chose were less than qualified for the tasks he was asking of them--Moses had a speech impediment, Sampson was violent and undisciplined, King David was a murderous adulterer.

Therefore he thinks underqualified appointees are somehow "Holy".

Bush also seems to think he is God. (Or at least he acts like it)

If Bush thinks underqualified appointees are holy and he believes he is God, then it stands to reason that he makes the choices he does because he is aspiring to holiness.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 6 months ago

possessionannex,

posessionannex 6 years, 6 months ago

So when the mother of the anti-christ fails to miscarry, does that mean God wants the anti-christ to be born? That's really nice. Thanks God, thanks a lot.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 6 months ago

Had I not skipped "sensitivity training" at my liberal government school, I might be upset by the comments of the anti-Christian bigots who post here. read: possessionannex and tvc.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 6 months ago

tvc,

I believe creating human life, whether in the womb or the petrie dish, for the purpose of destroying it is immoral.

Tell me, do you agree that the morning after pill may cause a developing blastocyst/embyro to not implant in the woman's uterus and that because of taking the morning after pill, the perfectly viable human embyo would die as a result?

tvc 6 years, 6 months ago

Scenebooster, God keeps having doubts about having a second child. It doesn't help that Jesus gets all mad when God tells him about his new little brother or sister. But..Dad...I am the only son of God!

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

So, if a woman miscarries, is that God's performance of an abortion?

Ceallach 6 years, 6 months ago

I love it when we get down to the "my political perverts are less disgusting than your political perverts" comments.

tvc 6 years, 6 months ago

STRS, do you feel this strongly about couples that fertilize eggs and leave them frozen?

posessionannex 6 years, 6 months ago

Even equating the "killing" of a fertilized egg with abortion is silly. Not that I care, since abortion is not immoral, and, by the way, it's god's will.

God my trolling is shameless today.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

Calling the restriction of a fertilized egg in the process of implanting an "abortion" seems a bit of a stretch...

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 6 months ago

Badger: "Taken within 72 hours of sexual activity, it prevents the implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterus."

You are correct. However, what you describe invariably kills a developing human life. Therefore, I stand by my comment that the morning after pill can 1. prevent fertilization (contraception), or 2. kill a fertilzed egg (abortion).

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

"For over 40 years, leftist propagandists....their touted immoral depravity."

Uh huh. Apparently you don't pay much attention...do I really need to repost the list of republicans and their attendant sex scandals?

Most of them have to do with adultury and molestation of children, by the way.

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

Ray Parker 6 years, 6 months ago

For over 40 years, leftist propagandists have been throwing their safe sex message at our children and young adults, that condoms, contraceptives, abortion, and antibiotics would solve all the problems cause by their touted immoral depravity. They were wrong. We paid the price. Now our children pay the price. They are still wrong. Stop giving them funding and credence.

badger 6 years, 6 months ago

STRS, you're confusing two different pills.

Plan B emergency contraception, also known as the 'morning after' pill, is a megadose of birth control pills. Taken within 72 hours of sexual activity, it prevents the implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterus. It will not cause the body to expel an implanted egg. That's why it has to be taken so quickly after sex, before the egg has implanted. It is invaluable for women who have been raped and do not wish to face pregnancy on top of that experience. It prevents a pregnancy from occurring entirely. It does not provide an abortion any more than the variety of birth control pill that prevents implantation does (there are different types of hormonal birth control; one prevents ovulation, another prevents implantation. A large dose of the latter is Plan B).

RU-486, also known as the 'abortion pill', terminates an existing pregnancy. It is not routinely given to rape victims or women concerned because of condom breakage, and is highly controversial. It is not in any way the same thing as a 'morning after' pill and is only given to women who have positive pregnancy tests.

Not the same thing, not remotely, and conflating emergency birth control with abortion is just the sort of thing that keeps the ignorance surrounding this topic alive.

Regarding the "So we should just ignore philandering husbands and make sure their wives have birth control?" argument:

Many of these women are in abusive relationships, and having children complicates the decision to leave an abusive relationship immensely. Pregnancy and childcare are used by abusers to control their victims, because a pregnant woman is often unable to support herself, and a single woman with young children has more trouble finding a job than a single woman without children. Giving women in situations like that some measure of control over conception means a better chance that they may be able to leave bad situations without being afraid their abusers will take their children away or use the children as blackmail. It's not as good as getting their husbands to respect them, or getting them the resources to leave with kids or without them, but at least it's a start.

tvc 6 years, 6 months ago

STRS, There is a lot of misinformation. I posted a link previously; please read it.

posessionannex 6 years, 6 months ago

which invariably kills that developing human life.

It's no more a life than my left nut.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 6 months ago

TVC, You claim that the morning after abortion pill "blocks the hormones needed for the egg to be able to be fertilized."

That only occurs some of the time. What the morning after abortion pill often does is keep an already-fertilized egg from implanting in the womb, which invariably kills that developing human life. There's a lot of misinformation on this subject.

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

How ironic that you should say that. The founder of Planned Parenthood, which originally started as the American Birth Control League (Margaret Sanger) openly stated her racist opinions and agreement with eugenics. Much of planned parenthood's "birth control" propaganda is targeted towards minorities. Now who is the one trying to selectively decrease certain populations of people?

Confrontation 6 years, 6 months ago

Defender 6 years, 6 months ago

beatrice, stop scaring me!!!

beatrice 6 years, 6 months ago

Jenna is acting all grown up now and earning respect for her political views? Yikes, I can see it already -- for President in 2032: Jenna vs. Chelsea.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

Ah, bozo...you know those rules only apply to everyone else...

When the US does it, it's because "freedumb is on the march".

tvc 6 years, 6 months ago

If you want to know more... http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/296/14/1775?ijkey=qsS31RMdFZfdU&keytype=ref&siteid=amajnls Clearly some of you just don't like the thought of women having sex...unless it is to have lots and lots of babies!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

When 500-lbs bombs are dropped from several thousand feet on buildings whose occupants are unknown, you can't just say "oops, sorry" when there are "unintended" victims, children or not. It's murder just as much as when a suicide bomber blows himself up in a marketplace or a mosque.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

While your righteous indignation is a trifle humorous PA, I don't think it's off topic to point out the hypocrisy of STRS jumping up and down about the "rightful indignation by taxpayers over government funding of this type of "contraception" and the fact that his (and our) tax dollars are being used at this very moment to (inadvertantly) kill children in a country that did not attack us.

As for your link, that is indeed a horrible, tragic and criminal instance, and those who perpetrated it (and planned and financed, etc.) should all be killed.

However, you conveniently forget that prior to the invasion, there had never been an instance of these types of bombings in Iraq.

BTW, I never said that our troops should be removed from Iraq (that's not possible now)...don't you get tired of talking out of your posterior?

posessionannex 6 years, 6 months ago

Actually there are baards who deliberately target children with bombs, and scenebooster thinks it's a good idea to make sure the American Troops who kill the baards that do that are removed from Iraq.

Here's how the ba**ards do it: (no pictures, don't be afraid)

since scenebooster has dragged us off topic...

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

I feel the same way, but guess what: It's none of your business what anyone else does with their life.

So now its none of our business when people choose to kill their own children? Should we just leave all the Andrea Yates' of the world to do whatever they like since its "none of our business"?

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

Birth control pills can also be used as an abortifacent, which is why many people are opposed to them.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

"So we should encourage these men to freely philander around and force sex on people since they are "protected" by birth control pills?"

They likely couldn't care less if their wives are on the pill.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

"Obviously neither is good"

Your tax dollars are funding the deaths of Iraqi children. Already "been born" ones.

"Mothers are choosing to kill their own children with abortion which is incomprehensible to me as a mother."

imastinker 6 years, 6 months ago

TVC -

the specific drug in the morning after pill makes no difference. Remember there's allergy medicine in Meth.

What matters is how it works. Birth Control manipulates hormones that control ovulation and prevent it. The morning after pill is specifically designed to prevent implantation of the embroyo. One way prevents conception from occuring, the other way is actually an abortion in the minds of a lot of people.

Defender 6 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, but that's just stupid.

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe slightly so, but in many cultures, women are forced to have unprotected sex with philandering husbands who won't use condoms. So while the pill won't protect against AIDS, at least they won't have AIDS and be pregnant.

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

How is abortion worse than death by bombing?

Obviously neither is good, but I don't think anyone is specifically targeting children with bombs. Mothers are choosing to kill their own children with abortion which is incomprehensible to me as a mother.

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

I was responding to this statement in the article that gives the impression that somehow coverage of birth control is going to help girls like Ana.

scenebooster 6 years, 6 months ago

"But you probably think that developing human inside a woman's womb is just a blob of tissue."

And you probably think that the children killed by W's laughable "GWOT" are somehow, what, less than worthy to live?

How is abortion worse than death by bombing?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

"If anything it would make it more likely."

tvc 6 years, 6 months ago

Manyblessings, Ana is already HIV positive. No one is saying bc pills protect against HIV!

manyblessings 6 years, 6 months ago

Providing coverage for birth control pills is not going to protect people like Ana from AIDS. If anything it would make it more likely.

tvc 6 years, 6 months ago

STRS, Pregnancy can be prevented after intercourse by taking Emergency Contraceptive pills (EC). It works by giving the body a short, high, burst of synthetic hormones. This disrupts hormone patterns needed for pregnancy. EC affects the ovaries and the development of the uterine lining, making pregnancy less likely. Depending upon where the woman is in her menstrual cycle, the EC hormones prevent pregnancy in different ways. It prevents ovulation (the egg leaving the ovary and moving into the fallopian tube). It blocks the hormones needed for the egg to be able to be fertilized. It affects the lining of the uterus and alters sperm transport which prevents sperm from meeting the egg and fertilizing it.

These are the same hormones in birth control pills!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

"Start a life, sustain the life,"

My, it must be a wonderful, simple life you lead.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 6 months ago

Start a life, sustain the life, bozo. But you probably think that developing human inside a woman's womb is just a blob of tissue.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes, STRS, it'd be much better if these women were forced to carry their pregnancies to term and have children that they can't support.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 6 months ago

As long as liberals like Ruth Marcus convince themselves that the so-called morning after pill (abortion pill) is a form of contraception, there will be rightful indignation by taxpayers over government funding of this type of "contraception."

PROAMERICA 6 years, 6 months ago

logicisking (Annoyance) says:

"i take birth control pills to control migraines - what would bush say to that? does that still make me part of this "culture of death" they are referring to?"

Idiot.........I think it's a good thing you take those pills.........it may keep you from reproducing. That helps us all!!!

logicisking 6 years, 6 months ago

i take birth control pills to control migraines -- what would bush say to that? does that still make me part of this "culture of death" they are referring to?

i_tching 6 years, 6 months ago

Abortion is a commodity, like soap, a basket of peaches, or crystal meth. The great and all-knowing invisible hand of the magical free market will always see to it that such things are always distributed in the best possible manner, in this, the best of all possible worlds.

/snark