Archive for Thursday, October 11, 2007

Student charged in brutal attack

October 11, 2007

KU senior charged with multiple crimes

A KU senior is charged today with multiple crimes in connection with a brutal attack on a 22-year-old Lawrence woman. Enlarge video

Prosecutors describe it as one of the most horrific crimes they've seen.

A Kansas University senior, trained in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, is accused of attacking a female acquaintance so brutally that more than 24 hours later doctors still don't know the extent of her injuries.

"This is extraordinarily horrific. The wounds are extraordinarily terrible," Assistant District Attorney Dave Melton told a judge Wednesday afternoon during the suspect's first court appearance.

Matthew P. Jaeger, 22, is charged with aggravated kidnapping, aggravated battery, aggravated burglary and making criminal threats.

The charges stem from an incident reported about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday at North Winds Apartments in the 1200 block of George Court.

Lawrence police have said only that they were called to the area by witnesses who reported a "disturbance." Police have refused to release any additional information.

But in an unusual move, nearly every member of the Lawrence Police Department's detective unit filled the courtroom Wednesday.

Melton said the man is accused of breaking into an apartment on George Court. He told the judge the defendant fled the scene, holding the woman captive in a car.

Melton then showed the judge numerous weapons the prosecutor said were found either on the suspect or in the vehicle. The weapons included an ax and a unique type of folding knife used in martial arts, that Melton said could essentially be used as "brass knuckles."

Prosecutors also presented the judge with pictures depicting the victim's injuries, which he described as severe. He said the victim already has undergone two surgeries at Lawrence Memorial Hospital and faces more.

Melton asked the judge to set a high bond in the case because of the "horrible brutality of the offense."

He also argued Jaeger has no ties to the community, making him a flight risk. Melton said Jaeger has been known to travel to Israel and Brazil in the past, and the district attorney's office is worried that, if released, he could flee the country.

"The victim is terrified of the suspect in this case," Melton said. "She's terrified he will do further harm, if not kill her."

Judge Stephen Six set Jaeger's bond at $850,000. He also ordered him to surrender his passport and any weapons if he's able to post bond. In addition, the judge ordered Jaeger to have no contact with the victim, including e-mails, text messages or other forms of communication initiated by him or anyone on his behalf.

Jaeger's next court appearance is scheduled for Oct. 23, at which time the judge ordered him to appear with his attorney.

Jaeger, wearing a green jumpsuit, appeared before the judge via camera from the Douglas County Jail. He said very little during the half-hour hearing.

But he did tell the judge: "I think a lot of this could just be a big misunderstanding."

Comments

Bladerunner 7 years, 2 months ago

"Your Honor....I think all them horrific injuries requiring multiple surgeries......Well...its all just a little misunderstanding. Ya see...I was thinking she wanted those injuries and i was just trying to help the girl out."

What a dirtbag.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

I rescind all of my former objections to tasering college students. Clearly some are worthy of a lightning bolt.

Woodmanor 7 years, 2 months ago

I read this story in the Wichita Eagle this morning and my son who is a KU student sent me the LJWorld online edition. "A big misunderstanding!" Say what? Let's whip up on his sorry buttocks and call it a big misunderstanding! I hope he rots in a cell. Better yet, when he goes to prison, which he will let the prison thugs get a hold of his ass! he'd better pray he know JuJitzu real well. Those thugs will gang bang him so hard he won't be able to see straight! What a pure punk!
Ken in Wichita

conservativepunker 7 years, 2 months ago

Scumbag. Tasering is too good. Put him in a bathtub and throw a plugged in toaster in the drink.....

edmundo 7 years, 2 months ago

Regretfully I am a distant acquaintance of this guy. I wish I had never met him honestly. He had been dating the girl for a few months maybe 7 to 10 months. I had heard numerous stories from friends about how mean he was to her. How he'd yell at her if his room wasn't clean or yell at her to serve his guests drinks or whatever else they wanted. From the little time I spent around her and from what I've heard about her, she was a very sweet girl. They have been "broken up" for some time now but in this animal's mind once your "his" your always "his."

I've also heard my friends say this guy was a ticking time bomb and they were spot on. He thrives off of violence and has been involved in three fights that I know of in the past week or two. He is a sick coward but despite his foolishness my thoughts still go out to him. It takes a very troubled person to commit acts of violence of this nature. Evil spreads and although I would enjoy beating him to a pulp, I just can't see how this line of reasoning accomplishes anything. I'm not condoning his actions one bit but I do feel like violent acts against this demonic man won't help prevent future incidents of this type.

Eliminating the occurrence of these crimes is the ultimate goal in my eyes. Although this goal is optimistic, it is not out of reach. Pay attention to what goes on around you and call the police when you hear/see signs of domestic abuse.

sarahf 7 years, 2 months ago

I just want to say that everyone please pray for this girl...she is my neighbor and I have only spoken with her a few times since I have moved in but she is the sweetest thing and welcomed me to Lawrence and thats more than anyone else did. I can honestly say this wasn't a "big misunderstanding" I heard some things that went on since i was up studying late that night. And there is no "misunderstanding" about what happened, no doubt about that....he is sick in the head...soooo sick in the head...I just found out the extent of everything that has happened through having to speak with the police, and then seeing this on the news and in the newspapers since I have stayed away from my apartment since that night and it seriously made me sick to my stomach thinking that this happened right next to me and I couldnt do anything for her....This guy is messed up and needs to pay for what he did to her. There isnt much else I can say....

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

The moderators seem to be elsewhere this morning.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

"anybody find a pic of this dirtbag?"

kocrime or Jaeger?

bunnyhawk 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't know what the content of other deleted messages on here might have been, but I'm very disappointed that LJW didn't deleted kocrime's message.

Centrist 7 years, 2 months ago

There, they removed it. Are all you "indignation" experts happy now? smirk

On subject ... I hope they nail this guy. No excuse for that sort of violence, ever. Sounds like a P.O.S ...

I'm also wondering if he knew the girl and it was a jealousy thing, obsession, or whatever.

just_another_ninja 7 years, 2 months ago

Why don't we just pit him against someone like Royce Gracie... after Royce has seen the severity of the acts this guy's committed... then maybe Hoyce Gracie after that....

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 2 months ago

sick in the tummy. Why only 850,000 should be way more for bail.

heysoos 7 years, 2 months ago

An acquaintance got in a fight with his wife...wife had a bruise and an abrasion on her neck. In and out of the hospital in less than 1 hour. Acquaintance charged with attempted murder.

I hope the prosecutor reviews the charges, because it doesn't sound like this guy was just trying to batter and terrorize this girl...

Krakatau 7 years, 2 months ago

As a victim of a brutal domestic violence "incident" in this town, I am very happy to hear that 1) the police took the matter seriously enough to physically hold the defendant in custody rather than let him roam the streets. In my personal situation they chose not to get him, even tho they had his name and address, and I was worried and scared for 2 weeks not knowing where he was, if he would show up at my door again, and I had to call to see if a warrant had been issued for his arrest (this took 2 weeks), and 2) that Judge Six has taken this matter seriously enough to hold a high bond amount. My hope is for this Judge, this time, to listen to the full story and follow the recommendations of the statutes when assigning the charge level for this type of crime. If strangulation was involved, I hope the Judge considers this fact, and that in almost all courtrooms - it is considered attempted murder.

Perhaps Paul Morrison's influence is beginning to trickle down - I certainly hope so. My mention of the police and Judge are meant with all due respect as I know their jobs are not easy ones as they have many challenges, considerations, and complications.
(continued)

Krakatau 7 years, 2 months ago

I can understand how terrified this woman must be of this man, and I am sure it is a comfort to know exactly where he is and that he will not show up unexpectedly to terrify her. I am glad she is getting the protection she deserves after experiencing something so incredibly violent. Noone understands how terrifying it can be until you feel someone's hands around your neck, squeezing so hard and so many times that you can only see black. Noone understands, until it happens to you, how you will do anything to stay alive and you will get on your hands and knees and beg them to stop - if they give you that chance and a moment to breathe. No one understands how it can feel like a knife jabbing you when someone hits you multiple times in the face, knocking you on the floor each time they do so until eventually you aren't even able to get up or move. Noone understands how scarey it can be to be held down and feel the clothes on your body being pulled and ripped off and you are so scared it wouldn't take much to blackout from the horror happening at that moment.

It is easy for people to judge, even the Judge, in situations of domestic violence when the defendant and victim know each other. I have even heard people say, "What did you do to upset him so much?" I hope no discrimination occurs in this situation except perhaps, because of the man's nationality and 'training' - more attention and less judgement will be placed on the victim by those 'in the know' and in the position to enforce the law. That is a good thing. It's great to hear so many detectives showed up in the courtroom in this case. I hope they keep it up for the next victim. I also hope when it happens to another woman, by a white American man, that as much emphasis is placed on punishment as in this situation. That when it comes to trial, the defendant, and not the vicitm, is the one on trial.

Krakatau 7 years, 2 months ago

My advice for the DA's office is - this time - make sure you know the full extent of her injuries BEFORE all of your charges are filed, that way the defendant does not get off so easily in case the Judge does not feel like listening to the new list of injuries on arraingnment day and thus doesn't feel like imposing a higher level felony based on the 'new list'. In my situation, it took almost a week to know of all the injuries but by that time the charge had been already been filed. If my injuries had been fully known before the charge was filed, then the higher charge would have applied.

My other hope is that noone suggest this comment be removed. I am simply a past victim of violence, sounding my voice in a public forum, hoping to make others aware, informed, and in my humbliest of means, offer advice to those in power. None of us are perfect in any way, and we all learn from past experiences. My mention of the police and of the Judge are meant with all due respect. I know their jobs are not easy ones and have many considerations, challenges, and complications. I only hope that they will listen to someone who has experienced similiar circumstances and that by listening to 'me' - the next victim can be heard.

My final wish is that of hope for the victim and that, if you are a friend or family member, you will stand by her and offer her support and hope, not only at this time, but in the months and years to come. Please do not desert her as a friend or co-worker, or look down when she looks at you because you don't know what to say. She needs to know that you care and that you are not ashamed of her or what happened.

It is common to think, "I would never be in that situation or I would never be a victim of a crime like that." I used to think that way but I have learned - Never say never.

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

This poor girl. I can't even wrap my head around this kind of rage. Something is wrong with this kid. He should be taken out now before he kills the next girl.

awhitebread11 7 years, 2 months ago

Ahhh....I love how it's always someone else's fault...especially the media. Don't ever blame the culprit himself, no, no. Blame his parents, his childhood, society's complacency, and above all the media. It is always their fault.

lots of love,

I hope this guy goes down hard and there are no "misunderstandings" in his sentencing.

tokenshi 7 years, 2 months ago

badger 7 years, 2 months ago

Krakatau:

Thank you for sharing that. It had to be hell to live through, and I'm sure it isn't easy to talk about at length. It's important that domestic abuse survivors speak out.

I'm also glad to see this is being taken seriously. Too often things like this are dismissed as 'just domestic violence' and soft-played for the courts.

I hope that she recovers quickly, and that the 'misunderstanding' is cleared up in favor of justice. If the facts of the case are what they appear to be, I hope that his time in prison is long and unpleasant.

fascinating_person 7 years, 2 months ago

Centrist - yes, it appears they knew each other, based on this LJWorld article: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/oct/10/man_arrested_rape_kidnapping_charges/?city_local (I think it's safe to assume this is the same incident.)

Crispian Paul 7 years, 2 months ago

"gl0ck0wnr (Anonymous) says:

"bennyoates (Anonymous) says: It doesn't surprise me all that much. Take a look at the University Daily Kansan, the student "newspaper" on any given day."

Yeah, it must be a causal relationship there because there are so many Kansan readers beating women within an inch of their lives."

I did not take this statement to indicate cause, but rather to reflect a culture that helps to perpetuate violence and ideas of violence against women.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 2 months ago

'heysoos (Anonymous) says:

An acquaintance got in a fight with his wife:wife had a bruise and an abrasion on her neck. In and out of the hospital in less than 1 hour. Acquaintance charged with attempted murder.

I hope the prosecutor reviews the charges, because it doesn't sound like this guy was just trying to batter and terrorize this girl:"

Is it just me or is it disturbing that the words "JUST trying to batter and terrorize" as if "that's all?!"

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 2 months ago

Several years ago I heard the lady in the apartment next door getting beaten by her boyfriend. She was screaming so much it sounded like he was killing her. People outside were looking up at the apartment complex to see where all the noise was coming from. One of my neighbors in the parking lot saw me on my balcony and said, "Are you gonna call the cops?" I replied, "I already did." Within minutes, the police arrived to investigate. The lady who was beaten refused to press charges. If that wasn't enough, she called me an a-hole and told me to mind my own business. I saw her on a couple of occasions afterward when her boyfriend wasn't around and she always gave me dirty looks. The next time I heard him beating her, I followed her advice and minded my own business. A piece of advice to victims of violent crime: Press charges and be grateful when someone steps in to help you.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 2 months ago

Isn't this also the case where rape is also accused? Why no mention if the victim's name is not here?

Crispian Paul 7 years, 2 months ago

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho (Anonymous) says:

Kam Fong, without going into the entire dynamic of abuse, suffice it to say that it takes, on average, seven times to leave an abuser before it sticks. Before judging this woman, consider the myriad of possible reasons she did not press charges. More often than not, economics, fear, and social isolation are just some of the reasons that this type of thing happens.

wheremyshoes 7 years, 2 months ago

Martial Arts at KU are an excellent program where self discipline, leadership, physical strength training, personal life balance, and restraint are paramount objectives of the various programs offered. It should be noted that this article makes no mention of a connection between this student and any program offered at KU, only that he happened to be a KU student.

Krakatau 7 years, 2 months ago

Badger

Thank you for your comment. No, it is not easy to talk about, yet I felt I had to say something. I wanted people to 'hear' a little of my story and how glad I am that the Judge and police have taken this situation so seriously. Hopefully, it will send a very strong message and provide a valuable deterrent for anyone else who even remotely considers harming another human being in any way. Perhaps their actions this time will also set a precendent for future cases to be taken as seriously, no matter where the defendant from or his position in life.

compmd 7 years, 2 months ago

"Why only 850,000 should be way more for bail."

Because bail isn't punitive, it just has to ensure he shows up for trial, and since it was made apparent that there was little tying him to Lawrence, he was assigned a high bail amount. You think mommy and daddy are going to come up with 10% of that? I don't.

justiceformoney 7 years, 2 months ago

....You think mommy and daddy are going to come up with 10% of that? I don't.

Unfortunately daddy will. He is a prominent real estate guy in Chicago.

Let me look into the crystal ball and see how things play out: -- Daddy hires a high powered attorney for the dirt bag. -- High powered attorney uses every trick money can buy to get the dirt bag off. -- Dirt bag feels very smug and attacks another woman. Ooops, this one isn't lucky enough to survive. -- Return to step 1

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 2 months ago

I cannot believe the above comment is allowed to stay there.

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

i hit the suggest removal on it, 11thstephanie...but i guess they're ignoring me? talk about inane idiocy...that comment sums it up.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 2 months ago

Finally, it's gone. Junk like that doesn't help what happened.

dontask51 7 years, 2 months ago

Oooh, I am truly impressed. Now they have "Brazilian ju-jitsu" that lets you whip up on women.

introversion 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh boy, anybody else see how this is shaping up? Watch this video about it and see if you can tell...

Deerfield real estate exec? Yeah, the bail isn't going to be a problem.

ai 7 years, 2 months ago

smitty- Maybe they were just horrified by the exceptional brutality of the crime and wanted to show their support. According to neighbors LPD was on the scene within minutes.

Krakatau 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't believe a woman must demonstrate that she is the recipient of "exceptional brutality" in order to receive the proper protection, interest and support from authorities.

Must we now quantify "exceptional brutality" in order to define proper procedure in a violent attack or that considered domestic violence?

When someone has been brutalized - appropriate action (i.e. taken into custody, bond amounts, charge/count level) fitting the facts of the crime committed, must be taken. It should not depend upon variants, such as the energy level of the investigating officer, whether or not the Judge is 'having a bad day', what kind of job the defendant has, or, dare I say - the sex of the Asst. DA prosecuting the case, which seems to, in a certain courtroom, affect the way the Judge handles a case (prior to jury trial that is).

Bottomline - they are doing it right this time. Keep it up.

Prayers and Godspeed wishes to the victim.

etc123435 7 years, 2 months ago

The only misunderstanding is, why didn't the police blow his brains out, and his accomplice. Oh by the way, why isn't that guy behind bars?????? I know who he is and he is just as insane and crazy as that jaeger criminal. His rich Daddy will bail him out, and if he does, arrest his crazy butt too! The parents should be behind bars for getting him out. Charles Manson and his crazy followers are behind bars. They should be too. Be preventative and don't let this happen to another person. Those criminals should be sent to fight in the war. I heard they are short handed over there. Kill em. They are useless to society!!!!!!!!

etc123435 7 years, 2 months ago

sarahf--- you said you heard what was happening while you were up studying late that night. Did you help her by calling the police? I hope so since you heard what was happening. I hope you had brains enough to call the police to get help for her.