Advertisement

Archive for Friday, October 5, 2007

People in the news

October 5, 2007

Advertisement

Court hearing set for O.J. Simpson

Las Vegas - A judge Thursday scheduled a hearing next month for prosecutors to present evidence against O.J. Simpson and five other men accused of kidnapping and robbing two sports memorabilia dealers at gunpoint.

Justice of the Peace Joe Bonaventure Jr. ordered the defendants and their attorneys to attend the hearing on Nov. 8 and possibly the next day.

Rejecting a request from one of the defendant's attorneys for a later date, Bonaventure said, "I have to consider the state, co-defendants, witnesses (and) the general public."

Clark County District Attorney David Roger did not oppose the date. He could present evidence behind closed doors to a grand jury before Nov. 8 instead of making it public.

A hearing would allow defense attorneys to cross-examine each witness and present their own witnesses, while a grand jury would not. At the hearing's conclusion, the judge would be asked whether to bind the case over for trial in state court.

Hanson hospitalized after chest, shoulder pain

Dallas - Isaac Hanson, the oldest member of Hanson, remained hospitalized in Dallas on Thursday after suffering chest and shoulder pain following a performance earlier this week.

Baylor University Medical Center spokeswoman Maria Carpenter said the family had requested that no information be released on the 26-year-old singer's condition.

He was taken to the hospital Tuesday night after a show at the House of Blues.

Dallas-Fort Worth television station KDFW reported that Hanson was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism, which occurs when a blood clot in the extremities breaks away and travels to the lungs.

Taylor Hanson, 24, told the TV station that his brother was doing well.

Hanson, which also includes 21-year-old brother Zac Hanson, is best known for their 1997 hit single, "MMMBop."

Fashion designer indicted on sexual assault charges

Los Angeles - Celebrity fashion designer Anand Jon Alexander was indicted on 59 counts of sexual assault in a move prosecutors said Thursday would keep his accusers from having to testify at a preliminary hearing.

Prosecutors previously charged Alexander with more than 40 felony and misdemeanor counts involving 18 victims that included rape, sexual battery and committing a lewd act on a child. He pleaded not guilty to the earlier charges.

The indictment, unsealed Thursday, added two more victims to the original case, bringing the total number of victims to 20, and said the crimes targeted women and girls from 15 to 27 between November 2002 and March 2007.

Alexander, 33, is suspected of meeting women on the Internet then assaulting them when they visited with him about modeling opportunities.

His defense has claimed some of the women made the allegations to seek fame.

Alexander's attorney, Anthony Brooklier, said in some of the cases, the victims either kept in contact or met with the fashion designer after the alleged crimes occurred.

Nick Cannon, model call off engagement

New York - Months after a public proposal in Times Square, Nick Cannon and Victoria's Secret model Selita Ebanks have parted ways - for the time being.

"Selita and Nick are taking a break to focus on their careers but still very much love each other and remain the best of friends," Ebanks' publicist, Melissa Raubvogel, said Thursday.

Cannon popped the question in May. The 26-year-old rapper-actor got down on bent knee as the words "Selita will you marry me?" flashed on a TV screen in Times Square. He then presented Ebanks with a 15-carat diamond ring.

Ferrera to be named Hispanic Woman of Year

Los Angeles - The accolades keep coming for America Ferrera.

The Emmy-winning star of "Ugly Betty" is now the Hispanic Woman of the Year, the Hollywood Reporter and Billboard announced Thursday.

The publications will honor Ferrera and the 25 most powerful Hispanic women in film, television and music at their inaugural Hispanic Women in Entertainment breakfast at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on Tuesday.

Ferrera "is a leader for all women, but especially those in the Hispanic community," publisher John Kilcullen said in a statement.

"It's an honor to be in such esteemed company," Ferrera said in a statement. "And it's a thrill to see talented women recognized for their work behind the camera."

Ferrera has won Golden Globe, Emmy and Screen Actors Guild awards for her portrayal of Betty Suarez on the ABC show.

Tatum O'Neal offers advice to Britney Spears

Los Angeles - From one child star to another: Tatum O'Neal says Britney Spears needs to be in recovery and get her disease of addiction together so she can address being a mother.

The 43-year-old actress shared her thoughts on the troubled pop star with "Entertainment Tonight" in an interview that aired Wednesday night.

"I relate to her and feel really sad for her," O'Neal said, adding that she had similar experiences as a young mother. "I did everything ... that she doesn't want to do. I did the drug testing. ... It was very humbling. ... I wanted those kids in my life."

This week a judge ordered Spears, 25, to temporarily surrender custody of her sons, Sean Preston, 2, and Jayden James, 1, to ex-husband Kevin Federline. She was also ordered to undergo random drug and alcohol testing and take parenting classes as part of her ongoing custody dispute with Federline.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.