Archive for Thursday, May 24, 2007

Belone gets 48 years for killing girlfriend

I’m sorry that I wasn’t man enough to have a good family,’ he says

May 24, 2007

Christopher Belone is charged with second-degree murder in the death of his girl-friend, Linda Begay.

A judge today sentenced a Lawrence man to 48 years in prison for killing his girlfriend by beating her with a table leg.

Judge Jack Murphy sentenced Christopher Belone, 36, to 586 months in prison for the second-degree murder of Linda Begay, who died of an abdominal infection in July 2006 days after Belone struck her in the stomach with a coffee-table leg in a beating at Gaslight Village mobile-home park, 1900 W. 31st St.

Belone choked up in the courtroom as he apologized to members of Begay's family, who traveled from New Mexico to attend the sentencing.

"I'm sorry that I wasn't man enough to have a good family," Belone said. "I did love her... I just ask for forgiveness."

Begay's brother, Leroy, said he hoped the death would be a "milestone" for the community in awareness of domestic violence, which he said affects people of all classes, races, and religions.

"You deserve to be punished," he said to Belone. "You brutally murdered our sister in a cruel way."

Judge Murphy denied defense attorney Greg Robinson's request to break from state sentencing guidelines and give Belone a sentence of roughly 18 years. The guidelines called for a standard 586-month sentence because of the severity level of the crime and Belone's criminal history.

"It's certainly an injury that could have been corrected if proper medical attention had been provided to her," he said. "This was a death from infection that no one treated."

But assistant district attorney Trent Krug argued the facts of the case didn't justify a lighter sentence.

"Ms. Begay did not perish quickly," Krug said. "She died an excruciating death over the course of three days."

Belone also was convicted of kidnapping, obstruction, and violation of a protective order. Murphy ordered that Belone serve those sentences at the same time as his sentence for murder.

Comments

Nick Yoho 6 years, 11 months ago

Say minko,of all the hundreds of murderers you've known(or known of),how many were on alcohol or crack? THAT is the statistic you should be asking.

But then I see by your posts you must be about 12,so never mind, "winner".

Nick Yoho 6 years, 11 months ago

Nope not me,I don't get aggressive,I get sleepy. I was just making an observation. Nor,do I think being under the influence is an excuse for not being responsible for one actions. Too bad pot isn't legal,you don't hear of potheads killing people or getting DUIs and such. they tend to get along with folks and eat alot.

Confrontation 6 years, 11 months ago

Looks like someone likes to see himself/herself post.

minko224 6 years, 11 months ago

Looks like I win again. My plan to put to death all murderers should be taken seriously. Seems like a logical solution. No need for us to pay for the murderers room and board and food for the rest of their life while the person they killed lies 6ft under the ground all dead and stuff.

minko224 6 years, 11 months ago

and the murders here in Lawrence. the two husbands who killed their wifes. where were drugs and alchohol? they were sober. let's blame it on the way they were raised.

my thought is a murderer is a murderer and sober or drunk if they're a murderer they're gonna murder. excuses excuses the world is full of them. thank you Oprah

minko224 6 years, 11 months ago

Alchohol and drug causing a person to behave a certain way is a cop out. i personally know hundreds of people who do alchohol and drugs and not one of them has killed anyone.

minko224 6 years, 11 months ago

i disagree with the sentance. i feel the girls family should have been allowed to beat him to death with the same table leg he beat his girlfriend to death with.

lmpaul 6 years, 11 months ago

KawValleyKid -- I used to work in the prison system. 80 percent of the inmates told me, "if I hadn't been drunk or high, I'd never have done the crime." Alcohol and drugs really do affect judgments. If you have a tendency for aggression when under the influence - heed that warning. Control your usage and avoid tragedy.

lmpaul 6 years, 11 months ago

KawValleyKid -- I used to work in the prison system. 80 percent of the inmates told me, "if I hadn't been drunk or high, I'd never have done the crime." Alcohol and drugs really do affect judgments. If you have a tendency for affression when under the influence - heed that warning. Control your usage and avoid tragedy.

bugmenot 6 years, 11 months ago

From what the defense attorney had to say ("Robinson argued that Begay could have recovered from her injuries if she had received stronger medical treatment at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where she stayed for several days before being transported to Stormont-Vail Hospital in Topeka.") I certainly hope that the family sues Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Sounds like they'd have a pretty good case.

Not that Belone didn't deserve the sentence, he definitely did. And not that it would bring her back. But maybe it would bring some attention to the quality of care at LMH.

b3 6 years, 11 months ago

I would say he got off easy.

Nick Yoho 6 years, 11 months ago

what a tragedy . (not the sentence,the death)

I wonder if he was drunk?

I like alcohol,but it sure seems to cause a lot of damage.

marquisdesade 6 years, 11 months ago

The sentance was just I supppose, but the irony that Linda's family travelled for the sentancing yet left her out here withiout support sickens me too. A lesson for us to value those we have in our lives every day not when it is too late. Linda still smiles whereever she is.

Confrontation 6 years, 11 months ago

"I did love her... I just ask for forgiveness."

Yeah, you really showed it! Hopefully he'll get to feel some similar pain really soon.

tmtodd12 6 years, 11 months ago

I agree with the judges sentencing. He deserves what he gets. It was a horrible case of domestic violence.