24 hours in Lawrence

A golf course is closing in Dubai

Where does that leave me?

May 22, 2007

Nad Al Sheba Golf Course in Dubai is going to close. Where does that leave me?

It's 9:15 a.m. on May 10 in Lawrence, Kan., and the e-mail I was hoping to get is waiting for me in my inbox. Craig Haldane, the superintendent at Nad Al Sheba GC -- the Middle East's only fully-lit 18-hole golf course -- has gotten back to me about using his article in our magazine. I'm the senior associate editor of Golf Course Management magazine, the official publication of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA), headquartered here in Lawrence.

The e-mail arrived at 10:35 p.m. my time. They're eight hours ahead of us in Dubai, making communication a little difficult.

We've learned that Nad Al Sheba GC will be shutting down on June 1st, but we have a story on the course we were ready to run in our June issue. Where does that leave us?

I meet with my editor in chief, Ed Hiscock and my managing editor, Bunny Smith. We agree that the story is still worthwhile to our readers. Since the course is fully illuminated by lights, and also has parts of it enclosed by a horse track, it makes for an interesting story. The maintenance challenges are unique, and Haldane's handling of the situation is creative.

We decide to use a sidebar, where I'll write a note to the readers explaining the situation, and then we'll finish that sidebar with Haldane in his own words on the closing. It should work out.

I get back to my desk and the phone is ringing. It's my editor, Scott Hollister. He's in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., at the PGA Tour's Players Championship.

He wants me to start checking into prices for hotels in Philadelphia. I'm going to the U.S. Open to cover the tournament on the GCM blog (http://www.gcm.typepad.com/) and it looks like prices near Oakmont Country Club are already through the roof.

I add "Look into U.S. Open housing" to my list of things to-do today. It's joined by: proof (articles); buy Shingo (Katayama) photo; forward mail; blog; and all-staff meeting.

It's now 9:35 a.m. I get busy, because 4:59 p.m. will get here soon. And I already miss my 5-month-old, Evey, even though I just dropped her off, so I really don't want to be late.

Comments

Joel 7 years, 7 months ago

Hi folks:

If you look to the top of the page, you'll see that this is a community-contributed piece about a day or an hour in somebody's life -- part of our "24 Hours in Lawrence" series that is unveiled today. So please keep that in mind....

Joel Mathis, managing editor for convergence

preebo 7 years, 7 months ago

Dubai... Where a MultiBillionare CEO can escape the stress, hardwork, and American judicial system. I am still waiting for Wal-Mart to move their headquarters there. I mean, first Haliburton...

In any event, there will be one less Golf Course for the World's Richest to Play on when the visit the City of Sin.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

Except I really don't see how a golf course closing in Dubai (my heart bleeds for them) has anything to do with "24 hours in Lawrence"...

Oracle_of_Rhode 7 years, 7 months ago

The writer works for a Lawrence-based association's magazine. He's writing about his day, and contributing to a snapshot of the community. Why anybody is critical of him escapes me.

That said, I shed no tears over the Dubai CEO golf playground being shut down. All golf courses should be transformed into habitat for wildlife.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps he should have explained that in the article, then.

Eric Neuteboom 7 years, 7 months ago

CrazyKS - Perhaps you should search for understanding yourself, and not request it be spoon fed to you.

Swerve 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm just trying to picture "Look into US Open Housing" as part of my job function. Just doesn't seem fair that someone actually gets PAID for that. Good quick piece on the "hour in the life" of one of Lawrence's own.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

sheeesh, what some will COMPLAIN about!

I don't know, maybe crazyks needed a little something in his/her coffee 'cuz got it reading the first time through.

never use a golf course, think golf is the dullest sport ever invented...would rather watch "the grass is greening" channel or the "fog is lifting" channel than golf on TV.

but kudos for a short snapshot written well. the closure of the golf course potentially screws up their publication plans at a late moment. didn't have to use my decoder ring for that either.

John Rinnert 7 years, 7 months ago

this was better than any "Scrubs" episode. I'm just sayin'.