Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Brothers tell of jumping from the flames; other witnesses describe fleeing fire

Jason Rose trial in second day of testimony

May 2, 2007, 11:13 a.m. Updated May 2, 2007, 3:09 p.m.

Advertisement

Those who survived a deadly fire that swept through the Boardwalk Apartments in October 2005 described escaping the burning building to jurors this morning.

Today is the second day of testimony in the re-trial of Jason Rose.

The first case ended in a mistrial in February. It ended when prosecutors tried to introduce a new witness they discovered only after the trial began - a commenter on the Journal-World message boards.

Rose is charged with aggravated arson, three counts of felony murder and seven counts of aggravated battery.

Two brothers -- Victor and Joel Lamberto -- took the stand this morning -- testifying through a translator that they were forced to jump from their third floor window to escape the flames.

Both were injured after landing on the pavement below.

The fire killed three people and seriously injured at least seven others.

Dawn Davis took the stand Wednesday afternoon, describing the numerous injuries she received jumping from her boyfriend's third story window -- including a broken back and broken pelvis.

Demarquis Maybell, who fell more than three stories into the basement level breaking his hip and leg, told jurors he had to jump.

"The fire started coming into the apartment," he said. "The fire touched my back and the next thing I knew I was hanging out the window."

Prosecutors called Lawrence Police Sgt. Troy Squire to the stand who testified Jason Rose was developed as a suspect after making unusual statements to police.

At mid-afternoon, jurors began watching a video of a 4-hour police interview with Rose that took place on Oct. 10, 2005, three days after fire destroyed 76 units at the Boardwalk Apartment complex, killing three people and seriously injuring at least seven more.

The trial could last up to two weeks.

Comments

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

"The first case ended in a mistrial in February. It ended when prosecutors tried to introduce a new, surprise witness - a commenter on the Journal-World message boards."

I find it interesting that there are almost no comments on this trial this time around. Looking back at the previous stories I think will show that during the first trial there were tons of comments. I can't decide if it is because there is no more interest within the community, or if posters realize just how easy it can be to identify "anonymous" posters or possibly impact the trial.

The testimony so far seems to be nearly identical to the previous trial. I also wonder if its harder on the witnesses this time around or easier..

Bladerunner 7 years, 8 months ago

Sigmund....... Could be a lack of interest. I checked in on the Granada murder trial last week and there were fewer than 10 spectators. I was kind of surprised.

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

Or it could be that the new LJW website sucks so badly that it is hard to keep track of comments. I have a vested interest in this trial. I should, I'm a victim of that fire.

come_on_now 7 years, 8 months ago

I think that it is the website. I know that I have read the LJW a lot less since the website changed.

dthroat 7 years, 8 months ago

I agree about the web site. I still read the LJW, but CANNOT find the old "Reader Comments" section. I e-mailed them and got no response. Any ideas where to find that (without having to click on every story to see if someone has posted)???

As far as this topic goes, it could also be fear of posting something and causing another mistrial and being called as a witness. Let us hope that does not happen again.

inatux 7 years, 8 months ago

I'll have to third, fourth or 300th the opinion about not reading the LJW online as much since the change.

In a related side note, who knew so much happened in Kansas City?

Commenting has been disabled for this item.